Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2016, 09:54   #226
BANNED

Re: My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review

***Pimp-up Update***

Chetak got a few things installed today which were pending for quite some time.

1. A clock on the centre console. You see, I like clocks in cars since they are an easier way to check time on the move. Hariya (My Scorpio CRDe) had a decent digital clock in the speedometer console and it was very useful. However, Chetak has none. The sound system has a small clock on the RH lower corner but it is too small and moreover, since I do not like the glare of the head unit, I keep it turned off unless I am using the GPS, which I rarely do. So the need for a clock increased. I did some research on AliExpress and purchased this:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...287097723.html
I am happy with its overall quality and had it installed at Svr Mitsubishi. I have connected it to the vehicle ignition and hence avoided dangling wires and that cigarette lighter socket based power unit as well.

2. DRLs are something I've always been a fan of. They increase visibility in foggy/dusty/dark conditions and since Chetak is black, I felt the need even more. However, I am against cutting/drilling etc as much as possible and getting something that fits without modification was a challenge. However, research on Ali Express showed me this:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Night...961483297.html
I ordered them and had them fitted and connected to the ignition and they work like a charm.

3. AC Filter was also purchased from Raj Dutt who is our reputed supplier on the forum and was installed at the ASC. A small but important addition for the longevity of the ac components of the truck.

4. Cruise Control was installed and checked. Chetak had the clutch switch and the electrician's inability to access it resulted in some anxious moments. However, one call to Avadhesh Tyagi ji from Vivek Autolinks Ghaziabad cleared all matters and Chetak can now cruise on his own when required. Thank you Tyagi ji.

I am off to a 1300km KL trip today and will have ample time to test all the installations including the cruise control.
n.devdath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 21:14   #227
Team-BHP Support

Auto Transmission on 4 x4

The car is still powered by the same 2.5-litre diesel engine as the standard model but with the automatic version now getting the addition of an all-wheel-drive system, previously available only on the manual model.

source

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ow-399814.aspx

In the wake of the all-new Endeavour’s launch, Mitsubishi India has reportedly launched a limited edition of its Pajero Sport SUV in the country. The limited run edition comes with aesthetic updates along with mechanical upgrades, exclusive to the automatic varian
http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...port-17584.htm

These Mitsubishi guys are so slow to react , anyone having more information on prices etc ? looks their website is not yet updated , definitely due to FORD , lets see how Toyota reacts , hope they advance the launch of new Fortuner instead of coming with some special edition with different lights and stuff

Last edited by Turbanator : 25th January 2016 at 21:17.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 11:24   #228
BHPian

Now thats a news. Pajero Sport now available with 4x4 Automatic and a limited edition.

Limited-edition Mitsubishi Pajero Sport on sale now - News - Autocar India Mobile Edition

Endeavour effect. Interesting.
abhi.adrenaline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 11:14   #229
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I am off to a 1300km KL trip today and will have ample time to test all the installations including the cruise control.
Here is the trip update:

Route: Bangalore-Cochin-Munnar-Cochin-Bangalore.

Drove upto Kolukkumalai in 4WD mode and Chetak walked up the slope and down it. For the uninitiated, here is more information about the place which has the world's highest tea gardens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolukkumalai

Fuel Efficiency: 11.6, 10.02, 12.04 kmpl respectively. The best fuel efficiency was achieved during the return journey from Cochin to Bangalore with speeds at 100kmph and some use of cruise control.

The Good: Tested all the accessories and I am indeed happy with them.

The clock looks great, has blue back lighting and while it gives battery and temperature info, I prefer to keep it in the clock mode only. My biggest grouse has been solved.

The DRLs with turn lamps are simply great. They are bright, turn off when the indicator is turned on, and there was absolutely no wire cutting needed to install them. They are connected to the ignition and come on when the ignition key is in the ON position. Also, unlike other LED bulbs which make the indicators flash faster than normal, these DRLs maintain the same speed of flashing. Critical for safety.

Cruise Control is indeed a boon on highways, especially the four laned kind during night and during long drives. It is easy to use, works great and I feel, saves some fuel since its throttle inputs are very precise and hence ensure greater efficiency.

Stock/OE air filter is back on Chetak and I have no complaints. Maybe it is because I do not drive in the city. I am also an unabashed miser when it comes to fuel efficiency you see..!!

The AC filter is also installed and is supposedly doing its job. There is no way of finding that out of course.

The Bad:

The beige interiors are literal dust magnets. With 4 adults and 2 kids, Chetak is now extremely dirty inside and I need to get Chetak to a spa asap.

I sprained my leg when I got down to inspect the damage caused due to the side steps hitting a big loose rock on the descent from Kolukkumalai. There is a small dent on the left footstep and a sprain on my left foot.

The Fun:

Everyone we asked directions to Kolukkumalai told us that it is only jeeps which make it there since the road is bad. Even after we started the ascent, a couple of jeep drivers told us to go back since the switchbacks were too acute according to them and Chetak would not make it to the top. However, we made it pretty comfortably walking up the slope in 1st gear 4LLc. Halfway up the ascent, another driver was telling his passengers "Here is one more who is trying to damage his vehicle." I was perplexed but saw the reason soon after.

At one of the bends, there was a brand new Scorpio 4WD with its front bumper dangling from one end. The owner and their family were standing there so I asked them if they needed help in removing the bumper completely.

They said, "We know the bumper is gone, but the fuel tank took a hit and is leaking diesel. We want to get home now and know that all 4WDs are not equal."

I had some duck tape and tried to tape the leak but it wasn't working. They had called the local M&M dealer for help and it was apparently on its way.

When we reached the top and were parking, an old driver came and took a close look all around Chetak with special focus on the underbody, the front bumper and the chassis. He asked me if I had any hits. When I said none so far, he said " a Bolero tried to do it but it broke its front bumper and footsteps". This is a high vehicle so it made it.

I felt good for having brought Chetak into my life and understood the impact approach, ramp break over and departure angles make in real life...!!
n.devdath is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 16:02   #230

Hi Devdath,
Just curious, doesn't the information pane already has the clock in it? At least in my Pajero it has.

Also if you can send the pics of the DRLs when working, it would be great.

I am just curious about the Cruisecontrol:
1) Did you get it from ALibaba? If not then where? What was the cost? and fitment cost?
2) As you have mentioned, fitting was easy.
3) How is the performance? I am not sure how does the cruise control works for manual transmission? I mean does it work on the 5th gear properly?

I am planning a cruise control and DRLs for my pajero, but am skeptic how much i can use?
Old 1st February 2016, 22:00   #231
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidPAjero4x4 View Post
Hi Devdath,
Just curious, doesn't the information pane already has the clock in it? At least in my Pajero it has.
Chetak is the anniversary edition of the Pajero Sport and is hence one model older than the current one on sale. Which is why he does not have the MID as well. Yes, he has a clock on the bottom RHS of the multimedia sound system but I tend to keep that turned off most of the time, hence my need for a clock.

Quote:
Also if you can send the pics of the DRLs when working, it would be great.
Here is a video that shows their working.

Quote:
I am just curious about the Cruisecontrol:
1) Did you get it from ALibaba? If not then where? What was the cost? and fitment cost?
2) As you have mentioned, fitting was easy.
3) How is the performance? I am not sure how does the cruise control works for manual transmission? I mean does it work on the 5th gear properly?

I am planning a cruise control and DRLs for my pajero, but am skeptic how much i can use?
I got the cruise control kit from a trusted supplier from Delhi. PM me if you need his contacts and I will pass them on to you. Fitting was a 15 minute job at the ASC.

It performs flawlessly and I think it is partly responsible for the better fuel economy Chetak delivered during my recent KL trip. It works perfectly in 5th gear.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th February 2016 at 17:35. Reason: Fixed quote tag.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 16:12   #232

Quote:
PM me if you need his contacts and I will pass them on to you. Fitting was a 15 minute job at the ASC.
Hi Devdath, PMed you, but no response hence quoting here. Apologies.
Can you please give me the contact of the vendor for Cruise control?
Old 9th February 2016, 11:41   #233
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Devdath, PMed you, but no response hence quoting here. Apologies.
Can you please give me the contact of the vendor for Cruise control?
Hey, since you are a newbie here, you cannot send or receive PMs. My email id is n.devdath@gmail.com.

Last edited by n.devdath : 9th February 2016 at 11:42.
Old 9th February 2016, 13:30   #234

Quote:
Hey, since you are a newbie here, you cannot send or receive PMs. My email id is n.devdath@gmail.com.
Thanks Devdath,
I had sent a mail on your email ID only. Have sent it again.
thanks again for your help.
regards
Sid
Old 22nd February 2016, 11:48   #235
BANNED

Chetak is back from a short trip (Bangalore-Pondicherry-Bangalore). Had 4 occupants in the car including the driver. The route taken was Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry.

Distance covered- 815km.

Fuel efficiency-
10.7kmpl. Pondicherry is a hot place and the ac was working overtime with a few long idles as well. I feel it could have been better if I had used Sys-D. I am yet to measure the FE in the second tank of fuel.

Issues- None other than an irritating rattle from the driver door, the centre console (I am tired of this one) and the rear brake pads needing replacement. Will visit the ASC sometime this week.

Speed- Bangalore-Arcot is a nice 6/4 lane highway and was hence able to maintain 100-115kmph almost consistently. Arcot-Pondicherry is 2 lane road with local traffic and a few bad patches and diversions and speeds there were 70-80kmph.

Places visited- French town, Auroville, Paradise Beach & Auroville beach.

Was tempted to do some sand driving at the Paradise beach but refrained from it since I couldn't see a car wash centre nearby.
Old 22nd February 2016, 12:49   #236

Very good updates, very helpful.
I need a few pointers for good bullbars for my wildcat, I too own a pajero sport in white. Have not done extensive trips however have covered about, 3000km with it. I am getting 10.2kmpl, with full Ac on all the time. Inputs appreciated for bullbars.
Old 22nd February 2016, 15:44   #237
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazy82 View Post
Inputs appreciated for bullbars.
I have been pondering on this for quite some time and what I feel suits the Sport the best is either one of those inverted "U" nudge guards (for city and highway use) or an ARB bullbar (ARB or locally fabricated) for hard core offroaders.

I am yet to fit any of them though.
Old 23rd February 2016, 07:16   #238
BHPian

Quote:
I have been pondering on this for quite some time and what I feel suits the Sport the best is either one of those inverted "U" nudge guards (for city and highway use) or an ARB bullbar (ARB or locally fabricated) for hard core offroaders.

I am yet to fit any of them though.
I have been looking for one since a while for my GLX. Seemed no point in investing in an ARB. bluegarage.in says they would take some time in getting me a similar model, and if they do, it will be worth the wait.
I recommend something that gives full frontal protection (the headlamps included).
Warm regards.
Unavowed_X9
Old 23rd February 2016, 08:51   #239
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
I have been looking for one since a while for my GLX. Seemed no point in investing in an ARB.
Yup, makes sense to me. However, instead of bluegarage, I would suggest you try Sarbloh Motors, Chandigarh. They are the people who have designed a lot of off road stuff for a lot of vehicles including the famous Scorpio Getaway used by Gul Panag and they are great at whatever they do. I know the gentleman who owns it and would be glad to connect you.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 08:54   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Yup, makes sense to me. However, instead of bluegarage, I would suggest you try Sarbloh Motors, Chandigarh. They are the people who have designed a lot of off road stuff for a lot of vehicles including the famous Scorpio Getaway used by Gul Panag and they are great at whatever they do. I know the gentleman who owns it and would be glad to connect you.
Great! Could you PM me the details?

Most Viewed