Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2007, 15:30   #616
BHPian

Congratulations Tomy!

ST7677 is bang on on the petrol issue. The Honda service guys informed us (when we took our OHC) that that is the fuel that should be used because the engine has been tuned to it. Causes some problems in the long run if we use the other issue. Someone more technically adept may be able to shed more light on this.
Old 8th October 2007, 15:42   #617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
Congratulations Tomy!

ST7677 is bang on on the petrol issue. The Honda service guys informed us (when we took our OHC) that that is the fuel that should be used because the engine has been tuned to it. Causes some problems in the long run if we use the other issue. Someone more technically adept may be able to shed more light on this.

Well, though offtopic, let me mention this -

It is very nice of Honda to say that their cars will work with regular unleaded petrol (and that's true as they have been well tested for the regular petrol). What that means is - Honda cars will have no problems running on regular petrol.

***However if you use premium fuels, Honda cars will not have any problems at all. In fact you will see improvements in some form or other (either FE, smoothness, power) but these may or may not be noticeable to every customer so Honda do not want to vouch for that and get into unnecessary communication with public.

Also, Honda's approach towards fuel quality is that of a thorough gentleman - not tempting or forcing the customers to use premium fuels thereby prescribing minimum cost option. higher cost incurred on premium fuels is "OPTIONAL". This is unlike Skoda who "FORCE" the customers to use synthetic oils though their engine "can" run on regular oil.

So if you have premium fuel supply where you live, you can safely use it on your Honda. No harm will come to you. "perceptible benifits" may differ.

Note: This is "my humble opinion" based on my use of premium fuel in my NHC for last 50000KM (3 years).

Last edited by anandpadhye : 8th October 2007 at 15:44.
Old 8th October 2007, 15:47   #618
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the Civic club. Enjoy your ride.

Whitefield or Dakshin?

Where did you get the reverse sensor fitted? Dealer or outside?

Steering is extremely good in the Civic. Its a sporty steering and is meant to be small. I'm surprised you feel a disconnect. Take it on the highways and you'll see how good it is. It is definitely far better than the NHC steering.

Agree with the door lock. It is disconcerting, especially if you've been used to automatic door locks. Is this common in higher segment cars??
Old 8th October 2007, 15:48   #619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomythomas View Post
I want change the tyres. It is currenly fittled with OEM tyres Good Year 195/65/R15 with 6J/15

I am looking for 205/55/R16 with a 6.5J/16 wheel. Is it a good idea to change it? I want to know whether it will affect the ride quality?
Which brand is better? Where will it be available in Bangalore?

More next week!

Happy Motoring!
Regards,
Tomy
First of all congratulations for your Civic.
Regarding the wheels, i would suggest u to stick with the stock alloys and just get better tyres.
You can even go for an upsize 205/60-15.
Michelin and Yokohama are the best tyre brands at the moment.

Cheers
Old 8th October 2007, 15:53   #620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Steering is extremely good in the Civic. Its a sporty steering and is meant to be small. I'm surprised you feel a disconnect. Take it on the highways and you'll see how good it is. It is definitely far better than the NHC steering.

I second that. Civic steering is lovely (grip, look, size, feel, everything) - much better than that of the NHC.
Old 8th October 2007, 18:48   #621

Thanks to all for the immediate response. I am surprised to see how active this forum is.

Regarding Premium Petrol. I could not find any information on the Octane rating of Shell Premium, but I guess it is 91 Octane. Eventhough the compression ratio is not explicitely mentioned for Indian Civic in their website nor any other dependable information on this. Manual is not dependable since it talks about all the models of CIVIC (except India specific!). Can we safely assume that the compression ratio for Indian CIVIC is 10.5? For Pakistan it is explictely mentioned as 9.6. How can a engine with compression ratio 10.5 is detuned for 87 RON? Are we missing something here.

In theory at least if the RON /MON rating is higher it will wthstand more compression wih out igniting by itself (read uncontrolled explosion) . If 87RON is used for a 10.5 compression engine it will surely result in knocking. We can advance the ignition timing by using a Knock sensor with the help of ECU. But this will reduce the power output and the mileage will suffer. What is the maximum correction an ECU can do with out affecting the engine performance. Please somebody who is doing ECU programming for a Car in this forum can enlighten all of us.

Or Honda actually detuned the engine for 87 Octane, then the compression ratio cannot be 10.5? or is it possible? Or Honda playing safe in India and not advertising that it does not need premium petrol since people feel the running cost is high.

Again by uisng higher Octance Petrol what are we going to loose except money? I do not think it can do any damage to the engine. This story may be different for a premium petrol with additives and enough carbon deposit already formed in valve heads etc. since it can clog the line.. But for a new engine, I do not think it can cause any problem. Somebody with enough engineering background in IC engines can enlighten us on this.

In my Palio 1.6GTX (compression ratio 9.5) I was almost always used IOC Premium/ Speed 93 from the begining. It was giving better result, smooth engine and good acceleration for 93. But when I tried 97, I felt the otherway! So I started mixing 97 and 91 since 93 is no longer available in Bangalore.

I have neighbour who always fill 97 Octane in his Baleno. Since he is not in India most of the time I take it on weekends to keep it in running condition. I felt there is lack of grunt in the lower gears! He is 15 years senior to me in IIT Bombay (He has a Phd in Chemical engineering from US and is truly a genious).He is a retired top offical in a US Mutinational Petrol firm and is an expert in old IC engines and did enough experiments in it when there was no ECU. He told me that higher Octane cannot do any damage to IC engines.

But I do not know how the additives found in this premium petrol behave when compressed.

I bought my CIVIC from Dakshin Honda and fitted the reverse parking sensor with video from them.
Old 8th October 2007, 19:27   #622
Senior - BHPian

All I can say is that there have been others (members on this very forum) who have used Premium petrol and faced issues with the engine. Moreover all manufacturers recommend regular petrol.
Skoda for one is very sensitive to premium petrol and my own friend has had piston ring damage due to the additives in the premium petrol.
So to be on safe side I would only use regular petrol.

I did not notice any change in Mileage or performance when I was using Premium petrol earlier, so anyway there is no motivation to take that risk.
Old 8th October 2007, 19:35   #623
Senior - BHPian

Regarding Automatic door locking and unlocking, I believe this is a adjustable parameter.

As I remember my car initially used to automatically lock above a specific speed and used to unlock when ignition was switched off. Also there used to be a audio alarm when the remote door locking was used. However
after my first servicing I noticed that these two features are disabled!

I never really bothered but just as I was going through these posts, I noticed that Civic abroad have this as a configurable option, so should be the case in India. What can I say, Honda manual simply sucks...

Will have to check this with the dealers but most of the times they are equally ignorant.
Old 8th October 2007, 19:38   #624
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, I think it's the additives in the premium pretol brands sold here that are the culprits. These additives are not specifically mentioned by the oil companies and hence the car companies have to play it safe.

If the premium petrol was only about higher octane number (no additives) then I am sure Honda would be happy ask customers to use premium.

May be I am lucky as my NHC is using only premium till now and whenever I am away in rural areas where there is no premium and had to use regular, my mileage dropped.

So everyone is observing different things and even I see a change in mileage even when i fill premium but from non-regular petrol pump (is it called petrol bunk is south?).

So I guess additives are different in different brands and I have always gone ahead with the good faith that oil companies will have more qualified technocrats (who decide on the additives) than me and there won't be any additives that are known as "obviously bad for the engines".
Old 9th October 2007, 15:43   #625
BHPian

Posted this at another place in the forum too however this thread seems to be the more appropriate place.

I have decided to go in for a Civic. The other car in contention was the Accord but with all the model changes happening it was kinda ruled out. So Civic it is. Which one? V or S? V is 72 thousand more than the S. Is the price justified? Suggestions please!
Old 9th October 2007, 16:27   #626
BANNED

Quote:
Posted this at another place in the forum too however this thread seems to be the more appropriate place.

I have decided to go in for a Civic. The other car in contention was the Accord but with all the model changes happening it was kinda ruled out. So Civic it is. Which one? V or S? V is 72 thousand more than the S. Is the price justified? Suggestions please!
Go for the S variant which should cost you (1185000) on road & worths it , V has few addons like Leather seats,fog lamps, side mirror indicator , door trims which just doesn't justified the price, you'll get those stuff in market for lesser money as compared to r what you pay to honda Ie- stanley leather seats (30k), fog lamps(5k) , side mirror indicator (5k i guess ) , door trims (1k) , if you like the new colour the one is like "purplish" then buy it coz that's a rare colour & only avail in v variant .

P:s any discount you getting ? otr is 11.85L ?

Last edited by unknown : 9th October 2007 at 16:29.
Old 9th October 2007, 16:32   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Go for the S variant which should cost you (1185000) on road & worths it , V has few addons like Leather seats,fog lamps, side mirror indicator , door trims which just doesn't justified the price, you'll get those stuff in market for lesser money as compared to r what you pay to honda Ie- stanley leather seats (30k), fog lamps(5k) , side mirror indicator (5k i guess ) , door trims (1k) , if you like the new colour the one is like "purplish" then buy it coz that's a rare colour & only avail in v variant .

P:s any discount you getting ? otr is 11.85L ?
In Delhi OTR is 11.53 for S and 12.26 for V (MT). Looks like the taxes on Earth (your location) are higher. Come to our planet
Old 9th October 2007, 17:01   #628
BANNED

Quote:
In Delhi OTR is 11.53 for S and 12.26 for V (MT). Looks like the taxes on Earth (your location) are higher. Come to our planet
lol , Ex showroom is 10,91,000, Insurance is 39,383 , registration is 49500 (Delhi registration) = 1179943L (Otr) , you getting it for cheap or your registration is from up/gurgaon ?

Last edited by unknown : 9th October 2007 at 17:04.
Old 9th October 2007, 17:15   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
lol , Ex showroom is 10,91,000, Insurance is 39,383 , registration is 49500 (Delhi registration) = 1179943L (Otr) , you getting it for cheap or your registration is from up/gurgaon ?
Faridabad is where I am getting the car. I will post the exact breakup sometime tomorrow.
Old 9th October 2007, 17:22   #630
Senior - BHPian

You guys are ******* lucky.

In Bangalore we pay 12% for road tax!

VFM is your own opinion. If you like the additional stuff and can pay for it, then go for it.
You can always get stuff aftermarket, but then the resale will take care of the difference, why bother...

Most Viewed