Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2014, 11:52   #31
BHPian

Re: Our Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI - Were we 'Simply Clever'?

Congrats Suhaas!! The Skoda Octavia is my personal favorite too, when it comes to looks of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
What we like:
  • The steering. It's just too light for my liking. While it's great for maneuverability in the city and at parking speeds, it feels numb and lifeless.

All said and done, it's still a fantastic package. The car is an absolute joy to drive and to be driven in.
Curious to know, the steering being lifeless, is it really absolute joy to drive?
FordDodo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 13:01   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Suhaas. That's a great machine. Great review and loved your what you like and what you didnt style.

One car that I love (ofcourse apart from my Cruze..LOL!) is the TSI. I have driven the previous generation TSI and it was a blast to drive

Interior color is very nice and seems quite unique going perfectly with the exterior color of your car.

Also, you are contradicting yourself by saying its superb to drive but, steering feel is very light? How can a light steering make you enjoy your drive? I havent driven this car but, the previous TSI had a great steering feel, so now are you saying they went and messed up that aspect?

Iam sure you must be alarmed at the fast depleting kmpl figure when you gun the throttle
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 16:02   #33
BHPian

Congratulations on the car and ofcourse a great review.
I somehow never managed getting the time to write one though its always fun reading the ones written.
Seems like a lot of people are upgrading their civics for the octavia's. This ofcourse included me. I changed my civic after completing a good 96+ kms for the octavia. Actually i got the octavia while still owning the civic and changed it recently and upgraded that for a previously owned Accord AT but the octavia was my logical upgrade in my mind for the civic.
Have completed 8500kms now on my octavia which has included two long drives on the highways including the yamuna expressway and the hills. Luckily i'v managed getting an average of 14-16kmpl on the highways which goes down to around 12-14 in the city and its a diesel
Haven't had any issue till date except a puncture, coolant level below lowest limit (checked at workshop no leak found, topped up and its holding good now) and the sound from the side view mirrors opening and closing which was again checked and fixed and hasn't cropped up again as yet.
The one thing i love is the complete head turner this beauty is. Thanks to the low supply and the otherwise awesome profile of the car with the DRL's it always turns heads wherever i go, and to top it all its a white with the black roof....
Anyhow i could go on and on but congratulations once again on an awesome car.

Note from Support - Smiley usage restricted to 2 per post. Please avoid using more than 2 smileys in a single post.

Last edited by n_aditya : 7th October 2014 at 18:50.
rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 17:24   #34
BANNED

Congrats Suhaas!

Lovely shade for the Octi. Do have millions of safe, niggle-free and fun-filled miles plus ownership with the car.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 17:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

Nice review and congrats Suhaas! next Goa trip in Octavia?

Recently we spotted a new Octavia in a restaurant parking lot, and my non-petrol head brother went close to check

me: That's a new Octavia
him: oh...ok
me: what do you think?
him: It looks like car exterior is designed using just a ruler and a protractor, so clean lines..perfect!
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 17:39   #36
Senior - BHPian

It took 4 F5s on the page to believe that this thread was actually started by you and that it wasnt the 1st of April.
But thats the thing about the Skoda 1.8TSI package, its so so so tempting.
Congratulations Suhaas and i wish you a long and troublefree ownership.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 18:40   #37
Team-BHP Support

Neat and tight review and personally i like this colour very much. This is one of the easiest shade to maintain, my ol iKon had similar shade. Even dirt it carries off well

Try to be gentle during the break-in period, esp with the gear box, might help you in the long term.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 19:08   #38
BHPian

Suhaas, just one thing mate, since my Laura is Cappuccino Beige as well.

Although dust and light marks wont show thanks to the color, suggest you keep a Jopasu duster and a Microfiber cloth in the car. Comes in handy when starting off in the evening and helps maintain the paint. Swirls are seen easily in sunlight.

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 19:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your wonderful new machine! May you enjoy many miles of driving bliss.
I think people are now willing to look at Skoda and VW with a different mindset these days esp on our forum thanks in no small measure to the resolution of Harish's case. DSG seems to have taken on a whole new allure after the failures issue appears to have been sorted out.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 23:46   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
2. DSG and Chauffer driven are a lethal and often fatal combination – put your chauffeur on continuous training on the do’s and don’ts of a DSG to avoid issues.

4. A study of the Skoda’s on the forum will indicate a pattern - (1) those who have the time and the inclination to look after their Skoda's well resulting in lower issues and (2) those who unfortunately cannot dedicate time or have chauffer driven cars or abuse their cars resulting in continual problems - this will not usually happen with a Japanese..

6. Drive the car as if you bought it out of hard earned money – even if it is your dad’s car. You will feel the difference in the long term.
We don't have a chauffeur so that issue doesn't come up. Will definitely go through the manual. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Congratulations. Nice review Suhaas.

Honest, straight from the heart review. But for me, the below line takes the cake.

I somehow don't like that lip spoiler on the boot. Guess a traditional spoiler like the one present on the Skoda Rapid (considering the similarity in looks) might look better?
Thanks Crazy Driver!

Somehow, I've always preferred lip-spoilers over the actual ones. It gives it a sporty look without overdoing it, while managing to retain the car's clean silhouette.

Different strokes, different folks *wink wink*

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
I was offered a Cap. Beige TSI by Vinayak Cars but wanted a TDI (probably the same car(?) even the timeline matches - last week of Sept.)

Waiting for a confirmation on the delivery date before I book the car. Till then my good ol' Civic will have to do the duties. Looking forward to joining the Octavia club soon.
Good stuff. Patron! Hope you take delivery soon! It's a great car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordDodo View Post

Curious to know, the steering being lifeless, is it really absolute joy to drive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Also, you are contradicting yourself by saying its superb to drive but, steering feel is very light? How can a light steering make you enjoy your drive? I havent driven this car but, the previous TSI had a great steering feel, so now are you saying they went and messed up that aspect?

Iam sure you must be alarmed at the fast depleting kmpl figure when you gun the throttle
Thanks FordDodo and mobike!

Yes, the steering does feel lifeless but it isn't too bad. It's a lot lighter than the outgoing Laura's unit, and there's this sense of artificialness dialled into it. It does weight up at speed, but it's still not up to the mark. The explosive engine and lightening-quick gearbox make up for it though. Not to mention the tight chassis and powerful brakes. These ingredients make it an enthusiast's delight. The light steering is a small pesky fly in an otherwise brilliant ointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Congratulations on the car and ofcourse a great review.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Nice review and congrats Suhaas! next Goa trip in Octavia?!
Thanks Latheesh! Yes, a Goa drive has been scheduled for the first week of November. However, we may have to reschedule it in light of an ongoing family crisis. Our doggie isn't doing too well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
It took 4 F5s on the page to believe that this thread was actually started by you and that it wasnt the 1st of April.
But thats the thing about the Skoda 1.8TSI package, its so so so tempting.
Congratulations Suhaas and i wish you a long and troublefree ownership.
Haha! Thanks Sammyboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Neat and tight review and personally i like this colour very much. This is one of the easiest shade to maintain, my ol iKon had similar shade. Even dirt it carries off well

Try to be gentle during the break-in period, esp with the gear box, might help you in the long term.
Thanks Jaggu! Will keep that in mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Suhaas, just one thing mate, since my Laura is Cappuccino Beige as well.

Although dust and light marks wont show thanks to the color, suggest you keep a Jopasu duster and a Microfiber cloth in the car. Comes in handy when starting off in the evening and helps maintain the paint. Swirls are seen easily in sunlight.

Cheers
Rohan
Thanks Rohan. Our car-cabinet has been stocked with the necessary goodies. *wink wink*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Congrats on your wonderful new machine! May you enjoy many miles of driving bliss.
I think people are now willing to look at Skoda and VW with a different mindset these days esp on our forum thanks in no small measure to the resolution of Harish's case. DSG seems to have taken on a whole new allure after the failures issue appears to have been sorted out.
Thanks Wilful!

Yes, in spite of the flak Skoda / VW have received over the years, people are still willing to put faith in their products. It's hard to ignore cars like these. It's unfortunate that Harish had to put up with their nonsense for half a decade. Let's hope VAG have learned their lesson.
Old 8th October 2014, 00:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Suhaas!
The car seems to be a monster based on your review!!
Wish you many happy miles with it.
And don't worry too much about FE. It may make you frown only when you fill up but that frown will turn upside down every time you put the pedal down
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 08:24   #42
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Suhaas. Do I need to say anything ?

But a simple question: How often do you get to touch it? Morning you are up and its gone for corporate duty eh?

Has the beast already been unleashed for the weekend?
Old 8th October 2014, 08:56   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Congratulations Suhaas!
The car seems to be a monster based on your review!!
Wish you many happy miles with it.
And don't worry too much about FE. It may make you frown only when you fill up but that frown will turn upside down every time you put the pedal down
Thanks Amitoj!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Congrats Suhaas. Do I need to say anything ?

But a simple question: How often do you get to touch it? Morning you are up and its gone for corporate duty eh?

Has the beast already been unleashed for the weekend?
Thanks Ampere!

You didn't read my review, did you?

Like I'd mentioned in the report, every weekend! I do get the opportunity to drive it in the weekdays too but the thought of parking it in the Civil Court complex or outside my office would give me nightmares so I'd rather not.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th October 2014 at 13:55. Reason: Typo
Old 8th October 2014, 11:54   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
What we like:

The motor is just so free-revving that before you can take your hands off the wheel and up-shift in tiptronic mode, it hits the limiter and up-shifts on its own. This is where I felt that it desperately needs flappy-paddles. You wouldn't want to take your hands off the wheel but you'd still like the sensation of swapping cogs, and you can't do that with a regular tiptronic gear-lever for too long.
[/list]
@ Suhaas, first of all congrats on purchase of a wonderful car. I tend to favor heart over head approach at times when it comes to automobiles and I hope that you have many satisfying, joyous years with your machine. On the flappy paddles, when I read your post I recalled reading couple of threads on team bhp about adding paddle shifters to Octavia. I searched and found one such thread immediately, here it is. Though you may want to check about warranty related issues first, though the poster claims that there are going to be no issues with warranty as the mod job doesnt involve tampering with electrical stuff.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...a-1-8-tsi.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Congrats suhaas307 on a fantastic buy and welcome to the 1.8TSI Club. This indeed is a great machine.

Though I have been lucky to consistently get between 9~11 kmpl on my Superb's TSI but that can be attributed to the fact that I don't live in a city with bumper to bumper traffic and that it is a manual. I sincerely hope that they have sorted out the 7-DSG issue with this iteration but only time will tell. Also, as Hayek mentioned, it will sip oil consistently for the initial 10k kms, which is absolutely normal for this technology, so keep a 1L can always in the boot and keep checking the oil levels every 15 days to avoid getting the oil warning to pop-up. My car has now completed 2 years and 17k kms with nearly zero issues. Remember that more things go wrong with a Skoda at the service station than otherwise. So avoid them as much as possible and keep a hawk eye on their activities whenever there for routine servicing.

Wishing you years off happiness with this Skoda and drive safe. Cheers...
Do you mean to say that the Skoda dealers continue to be as notorious and dishonest as some of the experiences posted here on team bhp point out. I just wish to clarify as there have been multiple people as well claiming that there has been a sea of improvement after VW took over. I have always liked Skoda cars and their rich, plush feel. I guess this (shoddy dealers) is the only single factor that has kept me from owning one thus far and I am sure that's not going to change at least in the recent future. But then that's just me.
rattanw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 13:52   #45
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride. It certainly is a looker.

Wish you many happy miles + a fuss-free ownership.
Car-go-man is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks