Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2014, 12:35   #61
BHPian

Re: Our Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI - Were we 'Simply Clever'?

Excellent review and photos, Suhaas. Thank you. I have just booked a Rio Red 1.8TSI and started my excruciating wait :-)

As for the AUX-In, I believe you will have to purchase an adapter cable that will plug into the Media port on your dash.

I can see the cable in the skoda website: http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/Accessories
Haren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2015, 18:40   #62

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 28th February 2015 at 10:44.
alok1008 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th October 2015, 09:43   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Thanks guys.
Hi Suhaas, what's the update on the Octy? :=)
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 20:14   #64
BHPian

Hi Suhaas! I have been on a search to replace my current car. I have booked and Cancelled Hyundai Creta as I've always loved the Octavia and Contemplating on Getting one for Past two years and the only thing stopping me is The DQ200 Issues. How is the Gearbox in Stop and Go ,Bumper to bumper peak rush hour traffic in Bangalore? Does the Car tend to overheat when stopped and start moving on an incline?
P.S: I am from Bangalore too
nishithrao95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 22:49   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Since Skoda did not have a 1.8 TSI for test-drives, we had to make do with a demo 1.4 TSI. We came out thoroughly impressed, as you'd expect. But the 6-9 month waiting period that the sales-rep confidently rattled pushed us away.
Hey Suhaas, that's a nice and comprehensive report you've written out here. Little too late to the party I guess.

Can you tell me more about your driving impressions of the 1.4 TSI motor? The petrol variant isn't available for test drives in my city for around a month. Also, what mileage are you getting in your 1.8 TSI? I'm not really mileage conscious but still. If you've driven the 2.0 TDI Octy and the older Octy vRS (I owned one until last year), how will you rate its performance compared to the 1.4 TSI?

Also, do you think the 2.0 TDI is worth spending 2 Lac more than the 1.4 just for the engine (fuel costs and mileage notwithstanding because relatively low running)? And lastly, how bad is the turbo lag in the 1.4 TSI?

Sorry for the series of questions, couldn't really find many views about the 1.4 TSI on the internet.

Cheers,
Mohak
mohaks19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 15:59   #66
Senior - BHPian

the 1.4 tsi is brisker than old vrs. But VRS is better for its steering and handling. The new 1.4 gave no connection with the road. I felt sad after driving 1,4 tsi. Motor is brilliant.
kutlee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 16:17   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hi Suhaas, what's the update on the Octy? :=)
Hey there!

Sorry for not being able to update my ownership report periodically. I've been extremely busy with work and personal things. I haven't been able to update my Polo GT TSI Ownership thread either, for want of time. That said, do expect an update soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishithrao95 View Post
Hi Suhaas! I have been on a search to replace my current car. I have booked and Cancelled Hyundai Creta as I've always loved the Octavia and Contemplating on Getting one for Past two years and the only thing stopping me is The DQ200 Issues. How is the Gearbox in Stop and Go ,Bumper to bumper peak rush hour traffic in Bangalore? Does the Car tend to overheat when stopped and start moving on an incline?
P.S: I am from Bangalore too
Hi!

The Creta and Octavia 1.8 TSI are poles apart and belong to different segments altogether.

The gearbox hasn't been problematic so far, touch wood. And it does not jerk between 2nd and 3rd in stop-go traffic either, unlike my Polo TSI. It does not overheat in traffic as such, but you get the feeling that it does not like traffic and would much rather be hustled. *grins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaks19 View Post
Hey Suhaas, that's a nice and comprehensive report you've written out here. Little too late to the party I guess.

Can you tell me more about your driving impressions of the 1.4 TSI motor? The petrol variant isn't available for test drives in my city for around a month. Also, what mileage are you getting in your 1.8 TSI? I'm not really mileage conscious but still. If you've driven the 2.0 TDI Octy and the older Octy vRS (I owned one until last year), how will you rate its performance compared to the 1.4 TSI?

Also, do you think the 2.0 TDI is worth spending 2 Lac more than the 1.4 just for the engine (fuel costs and mileage notwithstanding because relatively low running)? And lastly, how bad is the turbo lag in the 1.4 TSI?

Sorry for the series of questions, couldn't really find many views about the 1.4 TSI on the internet.

Cheers,
Mohak
Thanks Mohak!

I'm not sure if the 1.4 TSI is available anymore. You'll have to check with the dealership if they've got stock.

Between the 1.4 TSI and 1.8 TSI, I found very little difference in punch and performance below 3.5 RPM. Both cars pull strongly, in 1st and 2nd gear. It's when you get to the mid-range that you'd be able to tell the difference. And of course, post 5k RPM, there's simply no contest. The 1.8 TSI just flies! The 1.4 TSI is quite a lot of fun though, thanks to its 6-Speed manual gearbox.

The 2.0 TDI is the ultimate family mile-muncher, this side of 25 lakhs. The ground-clearance is sufficient and the boot-space is enormous. The interior is quite spacious too. And of course, the 2.0 TDI's pulls like a freight-train.

Turbo lag in both the 1.8 TSI and the 1.4 TSI is present but not pronounced, and it's not a deal breaker, IMO.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2016, 10:18   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Hey there!

Sorry for not being able to update my ownership report periodically. I've been extremely busy with work and personal things. I haven't been able to update my Polo GT TSI Ownership thread either, for want of time. That said, do expect an update soon.
Hey there buddy, really looking forward to your update as to how the car has been performing. Has there been any mechanical or DSG issues yet?
I'm planning to buy the Ambition Plus Variant of the 1.8 TSI in the coming month. However i fear the DQ200 gremlins like everyone else. Really looking forward to your update to base my decision on.

Cheers!
Old 2nd October 2016, 11:20   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
Hey there buddy, really looking forward to your update as to how the car has been performing. Has there been any mechanical or DSG issues yet?
I'm planning to buy the Ambition Plus Variant of the 1.8 TSI in the coming month. However i fear the DQ200 gremlins like everyone else. Really looking forward to your update to base my decision on.

Cheers!
Hi Starfire

The car has been performing well so far. Apart from a few niggles, we haven't had too much trouble. I've been driving it a lot more than I though I would. I'll put forth my experience in the form of bullet points below:

- The car has done around 25k on the odo. It's been through TWO routine services. Apart from one Bangalore-Goa round-trip of 2000 km, and one Bangalore-Mysore round trip, the car hasn't seen the highways. We will be taking it for our second Goa drive pretty soon (December).

- I must say that it's a phenomenal highway car. It can shame pretty much anything and can easily keep up with cars that are three times as expensive. Sure, it drinks fuel like nobody's business (we managed 15-16 km/l when my dad drove it for about 100 km, but it fell to 12-13 when I took to the wheel ) but the way it pulls on even moderate acceleration is highly addictive.

- The MID has indicated that the oil-levels are low on two occasions. And the warning popped up about a month before it's routine service both times. (I'd suggest you buy a bottle and keep it in the trunk for times like these)

- The sunroof rattles quite a bit on broken surfaces. And off-late, it makes an awful squealing noise when operated. We need to get it checked, pronto.

- The battery conked off rather unusually a few months ago. Do check the health of the battery from time to time. I've been told that it's not a very good stock unit.

- Make it a point to swap the tyres. The stock Goodyear set does the job for city driving, but it's inadequate for hard acceleration and highway drives. The traction control light flares up ever so often if you don't drive it with a light foot.

- We haven't had any mechanical/DSG issues so far (Touchwood). In fact, I experience vibrations from my Polo TSI and not from the Octavia, even though the Skoda makes the gearbox's threshold torque.

Hope this helps!
suhaas307 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 20:39   #70
BHPian

Quote:

- The MID has indicated that the oil-levels are low on two occasions. And the warning popped up about a month before it's routine service both times. (I'd suggest you buy a bottle and keep it in the trunk for times like these)

- The sunroof rattles quite a bit on broken surfaces. And off-late, it makes an awful squealing noise when operated. We need to get it checked, pronto.

- Make it a point to swap the tyres. The stock Goodyear set does the job for city driving, but it's inadequate for hard acceleration and highway drives. The traction control light flares up ever so often if you don't drive it with a light foot.
The above 3 points particularly interest me. I'm mostly going for the ambition plus variant which comes without the sunroof so i'll be safe from that one rattle at least.

As for the oil levels falling low, which oil do you recommend I use? Semi synthetic or fully synthetic? Any specific brand?
Choice of oils has especially been crucial for the DSG unit. I heard that the major reason the gearbox used to overheat was due to sulphur deposition caused due to poor choice of oil. Skoda has addressed that now by changing the oil hopefully.

And lastly yes I will be getting the tyres changed the moment it gets out of the showroom. I'm thinking of YOKO S drives and quoting them with "Tyre Protector" since they are very prone to puntures. Any other specific tyre you recommend? Also would be great if you would know by any chance what exchange price I would get on the OEM tyres?

Sorry for asking so many questions. Its just that it's my dream car and I want it to be perfect!

Thanks alot
Old 17th October 2016, 11:34   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
As for the oil levels falling low, which oil do you recommend I use? Semi synthetic or fully synthetic? Any specific brand?
Suhas will no doubt answer. However my 2 bits on the engine oil matter is to simply pick up any reputed 5W-40 oil like Castrol Edge Titanium. I got mine on Amazon at a good discount:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4042665
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 21:37   #72
BHPian

I am considering the Octavia TSI & wanted to hear 1st hand experience on the issues. Owning a Skoda TSI manual & a Polo GT, I am spoilt for refinement. Pls advise.
Old 25th January 2017, 00:06   #73
BHPian

Iam also considering 1.8 tsi. I want to know if i have to wait for the new version and get the car now. What additional features will be in the new car except the facelift and two lights. The current one also comes with Navitainment.
Old 25th January 2017, 06:38   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg View Post
I am considering the Octavia TSI & wanted to hear 1st hand experience on the issues. Owning a Skoda TSI manual & a Polo GT, I am spoilt for refinement. Pls advise.
Check out the below threads for first hand information on the problems that can occur with the 1.8TSi.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ing-issue.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...speed-dsg.html
Old 19th April 2019, 23:49   #75
BHPian

Quote:
- We haven't had any mechanical/DSG issues so far (Touchwood). In fact, I experience vibrations from my Polo TSI and not from the Octavia, even though the Skoda makes the gearbox's threshold torque.

Hope this helps!
Hi Suhaas,

Would you like to share an update on how your car's been performing these last 3 years since your previous post?

I'm trying to collect as much data/evidence as possible before I make the leap of faith towards the 1.8, and it would be of immense help to know how the ride has been for you, and others who have traveled this road (of Skoda DSG ownership) before.

My major concerns are around any unexpected breakdowns or huge/time-consuming repair works.

Looking forward to hearing from you, thanks a ton!

Cheers,
R_S
roadie_swift is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed