Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2014, 10:30   #136
BHPian

Re: Fiat Avventura : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Evo somehow doesn't fit the bill here, specially after taking a look at the Avventura. FIAT could have launched Avventura first and taken advantage of this opportunity.
Agree, new design suites Avventura more than Evo.

Exteriors were never an issue with old Punto & Linea, both had timeless designs, did not require any changes. Only interiors required that upgrade.

Continuing with old Punto exteriors would have given distinct entity to Avventura which IMO would have been a better strategy for the brand.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 11:03   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
No. I don't want another Sachin Tendulkar signed or autographed Fiat.

Fiat can rope in who ever they want and that is never going to change anything for the company. The people at the company need to change first.
Well I was under the impression that the people at the company have changed for the better ad I believe that the efforts are on , for ex: I had requested for a TD of Tjet in aug and in oct I get a call from pune and I got my TD in Delhi (I was in delhi at that time) however i got a very long and exclusive TD.

My point was just that if they are making an effort they should project it too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Exactly!

Both Avventura and the Grande Punto looks like the were 'designed'. Evo somehow doesn't fit the bill here, specially after taking a look at the Avventura. FIAT could have launched Avventura first and taken advantage of this opportunity.
Well I look at the Evo and I just cant add "punto" to it. It just looks like an avventura without its clothes/armour
Old 30th October 2014, 11:21   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
My point was just that if they are making an effort they should project it too!
A extensive and prompt TD does not portray the whole story. I won't be surprised if they are doing this as a last resort to bring in some sales. Good if it does.

I am sure, the first thing I will notice with an Avventura is the lack of power. We knew this 5 years ago when we got the Linea. A car that could really use a more powerful engine. In fact, the entire line up would have benefited. Even now, I don't want Fiat to meddle with the 1.6 multijet and size it down to make it cheaper cause its not worth it. VW downsizing the engine has not made the car cheaper or better to drive. The car costs about the same or more, so much for tax benefits.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 11:28   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I don't want Fiat to meddle with the 1.6 multijet and size it down to make it cheaper cause its not worth it. VW downsizing the engine has not made the car cheaper or better to drive. The car costs about the same or more, so much for tax benefits.
It costs the company less . It's another question if they do or do not pass on the benefits. The 1.5 will give them the liberty to use the engine in different status of tune in a range of applications just like VW have done. One engine used in the Polo, Rapid, Vento and whatever else they launch in this segment gives them so much benefit on scale while they also benefit from the lower excise duty. From what I've read the 1.5 TDI performs on par with the 1.6TDI so no sacrifice there as well.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 30th October 2014 at 11:30.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 16:09   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
It costs the company less.
This is true.

Quote:
The 1.5 will give them the liberty to use the engine in different status of tune in a range of applications just like VW have done.
This was already the case when they had the 1.6l TDI.

Quote:
From what I've read the 1.5 TDI performs on par with the 1.6TDI so no sacrifice there as well.
Yeah its a very small difference that should go un noticed for 99% of folks.

This surely seems a very market specific thing to do. I can't find a 1.5l TDI engine anywhere else.

A company like Fiat, who are generally lazy or slow to do things, the down size to 1.5l may take another year or more and by that time I doubt if there will be a market left for Fiat India. 5+ years is quite a long run with one diesel engine.
Old 30th October 2014, 22:09   #141
BHPian

Quote:
A extensive and prompt TD does not portray the whole story. I won't be surprised if they are doing this as a last resort to bring in some sales. Good if it does.
I have been in Delhi since August and I am yet to spot a new 2014 Linea on road, guess they went grossly wrong about restyling the facelift so you are right about the last resort and me getting a long and exclusive TD!

Quote:
I am sure, the first thing I will notice with an Avventura is the lack of power. We knew this 5 years ago when we got the Linea. A car that could really use a more powerful engine. In fact, the entire line up would have benefited.
Crazy Driver in his review mentioned that the 1.3 MJD has been retuned and I am assuming that performance is at par with other hatches.

However there are hatches which are cheaper than the fiat and have bigger engines and better performance.

The Irony is that FIAT cars are built such that they are meant for engines one class higher and vice versa for others(Barring volkswagen and ford - they are maintaining at par standards)!

I am yet to take a TD of the MJD in Avventura but from whatever feelers I am getting I think i will go for the Volkswagen GT TDi unless of course they put the Tjet into it.

Quote:
Even now, I don't want Fiat to meddle with the 1.6 multijet and size it down to make it cheaper cause its not worth it. VW downsizing the engine has not made the car cheaper or better to drive. The car costs about the same or more, so much for tax benefits.
1.5 wont hurt the customer either however it will benefit the company
That being said its probably due to Lack of vision or failing to see the bigger picture, Fiat has always been "following" the trend and that too by the time they follow the trend it has already changed. They got to be the Trendsetters!

Wont discuss failed Fiat strategies here any more. what I see in the Avventura is a breath of fresh air, a ray of hope like it was for them with the Linea 5 years back.

So if they put the Tjet and 1.5/1.6 MJD, Projector lamps, DRLs , 2 din music system more goodies from the linea (put an "O" variant with higer price tag but not at par with ecosport maybe 40k to 50k lesser!) and "market" the Avventura with full dedication and turn into a super hit (its already a hit) then they can get back into the race!

Its not that there will be mass bookings of the 1.6 and Tjet however here is the catch - there will definitely be an increase in the sale of Avventura in all trims (I dont know how to explain that but it will be there!!)

BB
Old 31st October 2014, 13:42   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
I am yet to take a TD of the MJD in Avventura but from whatever feelers I am getting I think i will go for the Volkswagen GT TDi unless of course they put the Tjet into it. So if they put the Tjet and 1.5/1.6 MJD, Projector lamps, DRLs , 2 din music system more goodies from the linea
The Avventura has a lot going for it even as is. The primary problem is the engine. It does not excite.

Even though I have not driven the Avventura or the Polo with updated engines, I can tell you that the Polo with the 90bhp tune, which is being equal to what powers an Avventura, is a far more tractable engine. The engine response of a Multi Jet is nowhere near that of a TDI. What favours the Multijet is better refinement and less noise.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 16:07   #143
BHPian

Spotted a brand new Avventura in the orangish colour in ludhiana on the FZR Road. It had temporary number stickers & importantly the owner had bolted a cycle on the roof rails It was a major piece of attraction & a real head turner in the literal sense. Every one was looking at the car, cant say was it because of the cycle or the car. Could not take any pictures though.
trinity0114 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 19:15   #144
Senior - BHPian

I think for all the people who are confused between Avventura and Ecosport below is a short comparison video which might help to certain extent.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-vid...on-391398.aspx .
After watching my verdict is, if you want a more SUV'ish option, don't look further, book an Ecosport.If you are a Fiat fanboy and if ride quality is the top most priority go for the Avventura.
Old 31st October 2014, 20:49   #145
BHPian

The Fiat Avventura brochure is now officially available on the Fiat website.

No surprises.

I guess with no ABS and airbags on the petrol version, Fiat has reserved it for the Emotion variant with the T-jet engine. I hope.
Old 1st November 2014, 08:17   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I think for all the people who are confused between Avventura and Ecosport below is a short comparison video which might help to certain extent.
After watching my verdict is, if you want a more SUV'ish option, don't look further, book an Ecosport.If you are a Fiat fanboy and if ride quality is the top most priority go for the Avventura.

Personally I didn't like the review. Why is the Avventura is being compared in the lines of an SUV. Its clearly not an SUV. It is like comparing a 2WD with a 4WD where we know the abilities of each of the vehicles right on our face. Dissappointed !
Old 1st November 2014, 08:39   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Disappointing is the word which immediately pops up after seeing the review. There is heavy concentration on praising the ecosport.

The steering is inconsistent in Avventura takes the cake. The real intent in that review is any body's guess.
Old 2nd November 2014, 07:44   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Check this one more video review from autocar.

Between the two reviews, so many things are inconsistent ( like the avventura steering as she said )

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 2nd November 2014 at 07:57.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2014, 12:17   #149

The performance figures for Avventura and Ecosport shown in the image below are as per Motorbeam (link: http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/fiat-a...port-shootout/)

The figures are pretty close till 80kmph. In fact, Avventura is the quicker one at city speeds. Are these figures sufficient to judge the ease of use of vehicle in city / highway conditions? Are there other parameters to judge the power of the vehicle as well? For example, do the figures such as time from 20-80 in 2nd / 3rd gear matter just as much? I searched but could not find the figures for these parameters.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Avventura : Test Drive & Review-bhp3.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2014, 12:37   #150
BHPian

Hello Friends,
Yesterday had the opportunity to drive Avventura and drove it over about 15 kms of different road conditions.
Here are my impressions about the car:

Liked:
1. Ride quality is superb on all kinds of roads. I own a punto and still i found a significant upgrade.
2. Handling is also superb and only minor body roll for a cuv.
3. All the other positives of punto 90 are retained.
4. Engine refinement is better and lesser turbo lag than punto.
5. A 9.6 L approx on road, better option than a Ecosport ( 11+) or Duster (14-16)

Not liked:
1. Interiors have too many colours that dont gel well like grey, brown and black,etc
Plain black interiors of punto evo 90 would have been better choice here.
2. Restrictions regarding tail gate and rear hatch opening as mentioned in the review.
3. Ergonomics are better than punto for drivers seat but still far from being perfect.
Rear seat space too is at a premium.

In all, my ratings for ecosport, duster awd and avventura are as follows:

From VFM perspective:
1. Avventura ( 9.6L)
2. Ecosport (11+L)
3. Duster awd (16+L)

If money no bar purchase:
1. Duster : max power, space, performance, refinement but ordinary interiors
2. Ecosport: max features and decent space and quality
3. Avventura: great overall but less space
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed