Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2014, 16:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Something new in Life : My Hyundai Elite i20 Sports (O) CRDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps_abhijith View Post
UPDATE :
Completed 5000 km today morning. Car is running much more smoothly now. Getting more used to the gears and engine speeds.
Congratulations (Sorry for such a late wish). I just saw this model (same red) two days back and on seeing your thread got further details. Glad to know that you get a good mileage. All the best.
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 23:05   #17

Quote:
UPDATE :
Getting a consistent FE of around 18kmpl. (highways + city + ghat roads + almost no road).

Also, discovered that if you drive with handbrake engaged, you get an audible warning (same as seat belt reminder) after a few seconds.
Congratulations !! Fuel efficiency of 18 sounds good and the handbrake warning alarm is a useful feature. Happy driving
Old 6th December 2014, 19:40   #18
BHPian

Hi,
Belated congrats on the car! Please could you update on the service costs as well - for the 1250 and the 5000km services?
thanks!
Old 7th December 2014, 14:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
Hi,
Belated congrats on the car! Please could you update on the service costs as well - for the 1250 and the 5000km services?
thanks!
Thanks babhishekh.
The firt service is more of a chekup, not even the oil is changed, so no cost at all.
The second service is at 10000km and based on what i read and other i20 owners experience, i am expecting a bill around 6-10k rs.
Old 8th December 2014, 19:27   #20
BHPian

Hi abhi,
Which car will be a better upgrade from the Beat, the Swift or the i20? I really like the i20 but its a large hatch and I'm concerned about using it in congested city traffic (Calicut) as it requires more space for U turns, parking etc. How do you find the upgrade from the Beat to the i20?
Old 8th December 2014, 19:32   #21
BHPian

Congratulations on the new ride. Your car looks stunning in red! Absolutely yummy
Old 18th December 2014, 18:04   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suv100 View Post
Hi abhi,
Which car will be a better upgrade from the Beat, the Swift or the i20? I really like the i20 but its a large hatch and I'm concerned about using it in congested city traffic (Calicut) as it requires more space for U turns, parking etc. How do you find the upgrade from the Beat to the i20?
First of all, sorry for the late reply, was a bit occupied at office.

The car, it depends more on your requirements and usage. If you are planning to use it inside the city more, I would recommend the swift, as it will give you better mileage, lot cheaper maintenance and a bit more easier to handle / park compared to i20. Should also mention that considering all the Autos in Calicut town and the narrow roads, paint work / dent repair is a very expensive affair for the i20. Just spend 4500 on a small 1cm sq size dent gifted by an auto here in kochi.

But if its more of highway + city + rural areas, I would definitely recommend the i20.

Honestly, now I do feel that the Beat cannot be compared to the i20. Beat has its own merits, awesome mileage, compact dimensions, cheap repairs, and a very good city car. But lacks refinement, equipment and premium feel. Also, put the Beat on a highway and it runs out of breath easily.

i20 looks, feels and is a much bigger car compared to Beat, but comes at a cost of high turning radius. Finding it difficult in almost all roads inside Kochi now. Taking U turns ends up in 2,3 reverse and forward turns.

On a side note, if you are concerned about safety, do check out the latest crash test ratings for Swift.
ps_abhijith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 10:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Little background:
Monthly shopping and the weekend trips to my home (180 km from Cochin) with my wife on bike were impossible, and thus started the search for a car.

[
Abhijith - hearty congratulations, enjoy the ride. The Elite is quite a lovely car. One point I'd like to share: there is no joy akin to the first car you own. I am sure you will go on to own many more bigger/lovelier machines in your life' but the pure joy and happiness that you will experience now - wont quite be the same again! Enjoy the car - many many happy miles to you
Old 19th December 2014, 10:53   #24
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride The Elite i20 is an awesome car. It tempts me to give a second look every time I see it on the road. Enjoy your beauty to the max, drive safe.
Old 20th December 2014, 01:32   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats and a great review. This car offers a lot more than the Dzire in terms of premium feel. I know, you might have lost a bit on the "status" value; but this car makes you feel a lot better than the 2.5 box.

Wish you miles of smiles and fun motoring! Do keep us updated and more pics please.
Old 29th December 2014, 19:32   #26
BHPian

Update : 7000 km and Diesel tank lid issue

Car has covered 7K km so far. No major issues or niggles so far. (Thank god)
Ride and engine have become much more smoother. Gearbox is perfect and getting used to the turbo with its own mind.

Having a strange issue with the fuel tank lid. Not the outer remote lid, but the actual screw on cap. It just refuses to unscrew and open. Issue started 2 months back, didn't notice at first.

The regular fuel pump staff started to complain that the lid was not opening and every time, someone used to get it open after a few tries. Recently the lid has been becoming so tight that the staff is opening it with a player and piece of cloth.

The attendants are mentioning it could be either vacuum in tank or fuel vapor pressure inside tank. They suggested me to occasionally open the tank once in a week early in the morning or late night.

I am not sure if the fuel tanks are this air tight. The beat never had an issue.
Isn't there supposed to be a pressure release valve?
Also Vacuum / pressure inside tank, could it damage the fuel pump?

Fueling pattern : 2 bars in gauge (~5 - 8 liter in tank to ~32 - 35 L)
Frequency : once in every two weeks.
Diesel : BP / HP from company owned outlets near refinery at Kochi.

I usually fill during early morning (~ 6am) or late evening (after 8 pm).

I don't want to visit the service center if its a common issue or could be solved easily. Any such experiences or advice is welcomed.
Old 30th December 2014, 13:35   #27
BHPian

Re: Update : 7000 km and Diesel tank lid issue

Quote:
Car has covered 7K km so far. No major issues or niggles so far. (Thank god)
Ride and engine have become much more smoother. Gearbox is perfect and getting used to the turbo with its own mind.

Having a strange issue with the fuel tank lid. Not the outer remote lid, but the actual screw on cap. It just refuses to unscrew and open. Issue started 2 months back, didn't notice at first...
The problem seems to be with your EVAP system. All modern cars are designed to collect the fuel vapors in EVAP vapor canister rather than releasing it to the atmosphere, which is neither good for climate and wasteful for your fuel as well. Sometimes the valve that is suppose to intake these vapors gets jammed (due to debris or otherwise) in such a case there is pressure build up in fuel tank. This might be the reason for your fuel cap getting stuck.
Please take this seriously and visit a proper service engineer. Whosoever telling you to open the tank frequently is just not knowing the mechanism and asking you to waste your precious fuel, without you knowing about it.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th January 2015 at 19:45.
abhi_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 12:23   #28
BHPian

Re: Update : 7000 km and Diesel tank lid issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_d View Post
The problem seems to be with your EVAP system. All modern cars are designed to collect the fuel vapors in EVAP vapor canister rather than releasing it to the atmosphere, which is neither good for climate and wasteful for your fuel as well. Sometimes the valve that is suppose to intake these vapors gets jammed (due to debris or otherwise) in such a case there is pressure build up in fuel tank. This might be the reason for your fuel cap getting stuck.
Please take this seriously and visit a proper service engineer. Whosoever telling you to open the tank frequently is just not knowing the mechanism and asking you to waste your precious fuel, without you knowing about it.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Thanks For the reply, and sorry for being this late for an update.

The car is running in fine. The filler cap issue, was resolved with the simple replacement of a red rubber washer on the filler cap. Apparently, the washer was a bit loose and was getting in between the threads of the cap screw. The cap still appears to be a little bit tight, but I no longer need a Player to open the cap. No other issues so far. Car has reached ~9500km. Planning to do the next service in March. Getting a average FE of around 18+.
Old 9th March 2015, 18:16   #29
BHPian

Update : 10000 km & First Service

Been 6 month since the first day, completed 10000km last week and did the Second service last Saturday from Popular Hyundai, Kottayam. Service experience was much better compared to Popular Cochin.
No issues so far, except few minor scratches gifted by bikers in traffic on the front and rear bumpers. Not bothering to repaint them for now.

Wheel alignment and balancing was done, Ride has become much more smoother after this, so guess the alignment might have been a bit off. They have asked me to check alignment every 5000 km, as I was thinking it needs to be done every 10000 km only. Gear shifts were starting to get a bit rough towards 10000km, which has become much better after the 10k service.

Total service amount came to be Rs 3162 including taxes.
This accounts for engine Oil, oil filter, wheel weights, wiper washer fluid, wheel balancing & alignment and labor charges for balancing.

Service manager commented that the occasional thak-thak sound on braking should be the ABS sensors and motors acting up suddenly, no idea in detail.
ps_abhijith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 13:22   #30
BHPian

Time for Next issue...
The keyless entry request button in the door handle had now decided that it no longer wants to work.
So, no more keyless entry for me till the service center here manages to get a spare part,and it could be atleast 15 days.
This is the third irritating issue i've had in my brand new premium hatchback!!!
First the boot release latch stopped working, so had a car with no boot for 1 month
Then the screw cap for my diesel thank refused to open every time someone tried to open it...
And now the keyless entry request button...
The issues are small, and minor.
But every time, i need to spend a day visiting the service center to check the issue and another day after a few weeks to get the part replaced...
Starting to get irritated a bit...

Most Viewed