Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2014, 17:23   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My other car is an Accord! Pre-owned 2003 Honda Accord 2.3L MT

Congrats on your new ride and may I say, a super upgrade from the cheapest to one of the most desirable D segment sedans ( atleast was at one point). The car looks well kept from the interiors which still appear quite fresh and new. So what was the final price you paid for this car?

I would also suggest you to keep the tyres for now and change as and when the need arises.
Old 19th November 2014, 22:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thank you, Doc.

Most everything on the inside is working, except the driver's seat slides forward and backward only on the right hand side. So when I try to move it forward or backward it sort of pivots around the left anchor.

Well, I did say I paid less than what I paid for my Nano, let me also say I paid marginally more than the price of a second hand Nano that a cousin purchased a few months back.

Finally I replaced both nozzles and the pipe. The new nozzles are not the original ones, so the driver side nozzle shoots its water jet right in front, hardly reaching even the bottom beading of the windshield, while the passenger side one shoots at the windshield, but a little lower. Guess I need to clean up one of the old nozzles and use that at the driver's side.
Old 20th November 2014, 11:07   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The new nozzles are not the original ones, so the driver side nozzle shoots its water jet right in front, hardly reaching even the bottom beading of the windshield, while the passenger side one shoots at the windshield, but a little lower. Guess I need to clean up one of the old nozzles and use that at the driver's side.
Honeybee, most windshield washer nozzles are adjustable for where they spray water. You can insert a pin and adjust the trajectory of water spray to your desired point. Trust that will help.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 13:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Honeybee, that's a lovely car you've got there. Maintained well, the car will last you for ages. Electricals are expensive and finding some parts will be troublesome too. But mechanically the car is bulletproof.

I wouldn't agree with the others that you should not have picked up a car with no service history. Given how company authorized service centres fleece owners of cars outside warranty period, most sensible owners anyway start servicing their cars at an FNG. An easier thing to do is (if the seller agrees) take the car to a HASS and get its mechanical soundness certified, before plonking the money.

You have liberally compared the Accord to the Nano. I know you own both and are entitled to a comparison. But please don't, any more! The Accord is one of the most well-built of cars from the Honda stable, the flagship that established the Honda brand name in most countries. Compared to it the Nano is mechanical junk!
Old 20th November 2014, 14:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well, I would say the Nano too is one of the better built cars from the Tata stable ��
Old 22nd November 2014, 11:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

The first highway run happened last night on the Expressway. No problems holding triple-digit speeds, though I kept it at the lowest triple-digit most of the time.

The headlight spread is not good. Better bulbs followed by proper aiming is a must.

The journey was pretty much comfortable as the ride was smooth. The car did behave like a barge in the ghats when I had to weave through the blockade of trucks hogging all the lanes and trying to go slower than each other. But it was pretty much controlled and along with the powerful engine I could make good progress.

With the AC intermittently on and a mix of city and highway driving, I think so far the car has averaged around 11kmpl which isn't bad.

Finally I found the lumber adjustment on the driver's seat. It's on the left had side of the seat.
Old 22nd November 2014, 12:10   #22
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the luxo-barge! 48k on the odo seems a tad too low for a decade old Accord. Perhaps the owner had a fleet of cars to cater to the daily duties. Anyways, do take the car to a good independent garage and get an opinion on what needs to be replaced/repaired/tweaked. Sunil Shanbaug’s garage seems to be popular with Mumbaikars - Link

Isn’t this model a CBU btw? From Japan?
Old 22nd November 2014, 12:42   #23
BHPian

Hey Congratulations for your Accord ! Its s superb machine if kept well will serve you for many more years with delight . I owned one for 4 yrs right from its launch. Just wanted to inform you about its known issue this particular model had was its fuel pump used to behave erratic do take care of that rest car was as good as the one that replaced it. I remember on a trip to Goa I was left stranded with more than three quarters of tank full the car just refused to start on calling the dealer I had good rapport with one of the job advisors he asked me to just lift up the rear seat and bang with wheel wrench around its concealed fuel pump and try starting it , and yes it started . Maybe it was limited to my car or general . Happy motoring! Keep us posted with your experience .
m-hawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 18:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

I am assuming it's a CBU. The owner does have many other cars, as informed by the dealer. So the low mileage may be genuine.

The car rode well on the expressway, no abnormal shudders or vibrations or pulling to one direction. Considering the rubber is cheap Chinese import I must say I am impressed.

Re the fuel pump problem will remember the advice! Need to know the FP location. Will try and see that the next time I visit the garage.

Right now the car would go to my neighbourhood garage, taking it to Mumbai will be expensive. Am thinking of taking her to the Honda service centre for a checkup. Will post here the updates.
Old 22nd November 2014, 22:50   #25
BHPian

Hi
I have been posting on the civic thread and so many other places to get a response regarding maintenance of the accord.Since you are in Mumbai,please find a place to source parts for this car. Iam based in surat,Gujarat.Regarding the nozzles i used a pin to clear the holes and it worked ok.I have been using for four years and it has not failed me.You get enough warnings to do the maintenance.I run about 12000km a year and i would suggest to budget about 40000 a year for the unexpected.Suspension job is something you must be prepared for.I must have spent 40000 for front and rear suspension jobs in a FNG and still not very happy with the ride.(compared to what it was before).I still feel the quality of rubber used in the bushes is suspect.The ASS quoted 17000 for a shock absorber.Some smaller stuff like power window motors,switches and the seat adjustment motor failed. I would advise you to check the condition of the hoses and belts.Kindly let me know your email id.
Old 29th November 2014, 00:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Here are some shots of the car from front, rear and left side.

The front:

My other car is an Accord! Pre-owned 2003 Honda Accord 2.3L MT-accord-front-.jpg

The rear:

My other car is an Accord! Pre-owned 2003 Honda Accord 2.3L MT-accord-rear.jpg

Side shot, this is against the kerb so you can see the ground clearance:

My other car is an Accord! Pre-owned 2003 Honda Accord 2.3L MT-accord-side-.jpg

Another:

My other car is an Accord! Pre-owned 2003 Honda Accord 2.3L MT-accord-side-1.jpg

Rear right rotor:

My other car is an Accord! Pre-owned 2003 Honda Accord 2.3L MT-rotor-.jpg

Spring:

My other car is an Accord! Pre-owned 2003 Honda Accord 2.3L MT-spring-.jpg

Strut:

My other car is an Accord! Pre-owned 2003 Honda Accord 2.3L MT-strut-1.jpg

The AC filter is located behind the glove box and not easily reached. Certainly not a DIY part:

My other car is an Accord! Pre-owned 2003 Honda Accord 2.3L MT-ac-filter-.jpg

Couple of days ago the blower stopped working all of a sudden. One second I was enjoying the cool air and the next the air stopped. On further checking the blower only worked on full speed and no other setting. The AC seems to be working in the sense it shows the temp and ON OFF status, but can't feel any effect on the air being blown out. It's room temperature. Any idea what could be wrong?
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 10:22   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Couple of days ago the blower stopped working all of a sudden. One second I was enjoying the cool air and the next the air stopped. On further checking the blower only worked on full speed and no other setting.
There is a resistor at work for controlling blower speeds. My calculated guess is that the resistor may be fried which is why the blower is working only at the highest speed, where there is no role of the resistor.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 13:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Any idea on the cost of replacement? How complicated would it be?
Old 29th November 2014, 16:49   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea on the cost of replacement? How complicated would it be?
No idea about Accord. Considering it was about 500 bucks at MASS for my good ol' Zen, I thought it was pricey for being just a resistor. There are several videos on Youtube for Accord's blower resistor replacement. And if it is confirmed that the blower resistor is at fault, try to procure it from outside market. You will get it for at least 4-5 times cheaper than at HASS.
Old 25th December 2014, 16:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

The electrician has connected the wires through a fuse so the AC is now working fine. If it conks off again the resistor will need to be replaced, costing around 3 to 4 k. So far the repair cost me a couple of hundred bucks. The AC is working absolutely fine.
Am planning to take the car to Linkway at Kanjur tomorrow for a complete checkup.

Most Viewed