Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2015, 21:19   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: My other car is an Accord! Pre-owned 2003 Honda Accord 2.3L MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Yesterday while driving to office the brake pedal just went in all the way. Skipped a couple of heartbeats. Pumped the pedal and got some bite back. Thereafter drove sedately to the office.
Brake fluid levels were ok and no noise was heard from the wheels which probably means the pads too are ok. Gave the car to Hallmark in the morning and am awaiting the diagnosis now.
Not sure but i think the brakes probably have a master cylinder which might need changing. Thank God the pressure came back and you could brake. Horrible if it happens while driving. BTW did it happen gradually or all of a sudden ?
Old 11th September 2015, 00:08   #62
Senior - BHPian

It happened all of a sudden, as I pressed the brake pedal, it bit and then went all the way in. Seems like a problem with the master cylinder as you said. Will get the final diagnosis tomorrow morning.
Old 11th September 2015, 12:31   #63
Senior - BHPian

Ok, the front discs, pads, ABS module, steering rack, vehicle speed sensor need to be replaced as per Honda, and the total estimate reached 1 lac. Any way I can get this done outside?
Old 11th September 2015, 14:15   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, the front discs, pads, ABS module, steering rack, vehicle speed sensor need to be replaced as per Honda, and the total estimate reached 1 lac. Any way I can get this done outside?
Why are all these needed to be replaced ? Is this what they diagnosed for the brake failure. Apart from ABS module & speed sensor which i am not sure of all these can be done from outside. Do not replace the rack, it can be repaired. Did they say why they want to replace the rack. If it's a leak then only the seals need to be changed. Kindly get a second opinion. Also which HASS is this ?
Old 11th September 2015, 16:25   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Easily!
Look for competent mechanics in the Mumbai Directory who will do a good job. The car is a lot more mechanically simpler than today's generation cars, which most independent workshops are able to fix.

We had a 2001 Accord, and parts were pretty expensive as Honda does not (at least back then) have a child-parts policy. Rather at times you are forced to replace the full part.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 19:46   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Why are all these needed to be replaced ?... Also which HASS is this ?
Not all are related to the brake failure. The replacement discs and pads are estimated at Rs. 20k (just for parts). There was a whining noise from the engine compartment when the car was on, which was diagnosed as the problem with power steering. HASS has quoted around 50k for "repairs" of the steering rack. The ABS light never went out on the centre console, for which they will have to replace the ABS modulator which costs 50k. The AC vents in the centre console are stuck and need to be replaced - which means the entire centre console has to be replaced - which is another 50k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Easily!
Look for competent mechanics in the Mumbai Directory who will do a good job. The car is a lot more mechanically simpler than today's generation cars, which most independent workshops are able to fix.
Have already tried with Chandrika Automobiles at Dadar, and they don't have the parts. Any leads would be appreciated.
Old 11th September 2015, 20:05   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not all are related to the brake failure. The replacement discs and pads are estimated at Rs. 20k (just for parts). There was a whining noise from the engine compartment when the car was on, which was diagnosed as the problem with power steering. HASS has quoted around 50k for "repairs" of the steering rack. The ABS light never went out on the centre console, for which they will have to replace the ABS modulator which costs 50k. The AC vents in the centre console are stuck and need to be replaced - which means the entire centre console has to be replaced - which is another 50k.

Have already tried with Chandrika Automobiles at Dadar, and they don't have the parts. Any leads would be appreciated.

Check with Shetty motors, prakash automobiles all mentioned in Team Bhp directory.

Try these links

http://spareshub.com/

http://www.motrpart.in/

Get the Power steering and rack overhauled at a good garage.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 20:09   #68
BHPian

Try opera house , maybe you'll find some luck there .
Old 12th September 2015, 00:03   #69
Senior - BHPian

@Sumeet, thanks for the sources. Both the URLs returned empty for the Accord. So I guess a brick and mortar store is the best bet.
Will try Opera House tomorrow - on telephone.
Old 12th September 2015, 12:49   #70
BHPian

I have a similar model Honda accord. I tried spareshub for parts. You can call them and ask them. I had ordered rear shockers from spareshub, however the part did not match with my car even though I had given the VIN NO. However they returned the money without fuss. I had tried another teambhp member's service, whom many civic owner's in Mumbai have tried. However the experience was bad and I had to really fight to get back the money. However you can take it to his workshop and he sources the parts for you. My steering rack is also leaking. Honda had quoted 51000 for the steering rack. I run about 1000 k.m a month. I decided against replacing it and just keep topping the oil. I don't feel any issue with the steering response. A 500ml bottle lasts for three months. I had a red light with the abs and on running a scan one of the sensors was found to be defective. The same was replaced and the warning colour changed to orange. The technician said the ABS pump which is under the hood and on the front passenger side was defective. I didn't do anything about it and left it at that. Please also let me know if you find a dealer stocking parts for this car. I had a recent problem with the car not starting. The starter was repaired by the neighbourhood garage by repairing the solenoid and replacing the carbon brush. The car is not very complex to repair except for the ABS stuff. I am yet to get rear shockers for my car , the existing ones were repaired by replacing the seals and the hydraulic oil. Hope members can help on where to source.
biju1971 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 13:52   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biju1971 View Post
I have a similar model Honda accord. I tried spareshub for parts. You can call them and ask them. I had ordered rear shockers from spareshub, however the part did not match with my car even though I had given the VIN NO. However they returned the money without fuss. I had tried another teambhp member's service, whom many civic owner's in Mumbai have tried. However the experience was bad and I had to really fight to get back the money. However you can take it to his workshop and he sources the parts for you. My steering rack is also leaking. Honda had quoted 51000 for the steering rack. I run about 1000 k.m a month. I decided against replacing it and just keep topping the oil. I don't feel any issue with the steering response. A 500ml bottle lasts for three months. I had a red light with the abs and on running a scan one of the sensors was found to be defective. The same was replaced and the warning colour changed to orange. The technician said the ABS pump which is under the hood and on the front passenger side was defective. I didn't do anything about it and left it at that. Please also let me know if you find a dealer stocking parts for this car. I had a recent problem with the car not starting. The starter was repaired by the neighbourhood garage by repairing the solenoid and replacing the carbon brush. The car is not very complex to repair except for the ABS stuff. I am yet to get rear shockers for my car , the existing ones were repaired by replacing the seals and the hydraulic oil. Hope members can help on where to source.
Quote:
@Sumeet, thanks for the sources. Both the URLs returned empty for the Accord. So I guess a brick and mortar store is the best bet.
Will try Opera House tomorrow - on telephone.
Try opera house. They will need the partno and i think they can source. If they cannot help try this guy

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3582187

This guy is based in Delhi. I once wanted a new speedo console for my Civic at lower than Hass rates. I had called up this gentleman and he suggested i first try Opera house and if they are not able to help then he will arrange for same if needed.

I frankly do not know him personally but seems like a decent option if none at all. See if you guys work out some arrangement.

Good Luck.
Old 12th September 2015, 15:35   #72
Senior - BHPian

I have contacted Mr. Sunil Shanbag and am thinking of taking the car to Dadar for him to check up. As posted on the other thread on Mr. Shanbag, the estimate seems to be pretty much close to what HASS has quoted for the brake discs and pads - but Mr. Shanbag hasn't seen the car yet.

Will update this thread with further information as the situation unfolds.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 20:47   #73
BHPian

I think it was Jaggu's crv which has developed a PS leak. He had approached honda for a 50¢ seal who told him to get the whole assembly changed. Perhaps you can access the blow up diagram of this car so that the issue could be traced. Mostly the o rings of these pumps fail which could be rebuilt easily... You may want to check his thread out
Old 20th September 2015, 17:50   #74
BHPian

Hey ! Honeybee , It's been a while , If you don't mind , any update on your Accord ?
Old 28th September 2015, 01:39   #75
Senior - BHPian

With Ganapati festival on, haven't had time to take the car for repairs yet. Will post an update soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks