Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2015, 23:29   #61
BHPian

Re: My Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG, Elegance : Initial ownership experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by charansuki View Post
I just checked under my car. I am happy to report that there is indeed a rough road package, as per my previous post, that is covering the vital parts of my car. Gives me more confidence when going over the monstrous Bangalore road humps
This is awesome!
The wipers issue is not that big but this omission would have been really troublesome. It's so lame on Skoda's part that nowhere in their website or brochure or even in the launch ceremony of the new 2015 Skoda they ever mentioned about this big enhancement. BTW there was a big mention of the ticket holder though. Imagine

Could you please share a snap of the engine shield from the engine bay area

Last edited by abhi_d : 16th January 2015 at 23:47. Reason: Forgot appropriate quoting
Old 17th January 2015, 00:37   #62
BHPian

Quote:
I just checked under my car. I am happy to report that there is indeed a rough road package, as per my previous post, that is covering the vital parts of my car. Gives me more confidence when going over the monstrous Bangalore road humps
hello

The engine shield is something I always wanted to get installed in my Rapid also. I had considered getting the one coming with the Vento but was not sure if it would be a direct fit.

A pic of the same in your Rapid would be a great help. Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 14:31   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_d View Post
This is awesome!
Could you please share a snap of the engine shield from the engine bay area
Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
hello

The engine shield is something I always wanted to get installed in my Rapid also. I had considered getting the one coming with the Vento but was not sure if it would be a direct fit.

A pic of the same in your Rapid would be a great help. Thanks
Hi,

I tried but could not get a decent pic of the under body without mechanically lifting the car. I will try to take a pic when I give my car for an under body wash.

However, the earlier illustration I shared is right on. That's how the rough road package looks in my car.
charansuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 14:51   #64
BANNED

December end I booked my Rapid DSG black edition in white color, even tough I had other colors in my mind but not the white, as didn't wanted to repeat the same color, but black edition did the black magic. Delivery might be end of Jan or first week of Feb, to my surprise black edition wont come with black roof and door stickers, they have 30K package for the same which includes the GPS navigation and wooden finish interiors which I doubt that I am opting for, rather I would prefer to get it done outside. Coming to the point why I have chosen this car even tough its for wife, I wanted automatic for her and the best choice was Polo TSI DSG but big cost for a hatch made me thing towards Vento 1.2 TSI and Rapid 1.5 TDI DSG and at last the black magic of Rapid won the game. Honda city, Verna, Ciaz etc were not at all came in picture as a choice, specially after owning the Maruti Swift I never even gave a thought of looking at Ciaz(pictures of its boot itself made me off from them).
Currently I am fixing the Blaupunkt Philadelphia AV system and leather seats from any of those major 4 players, good speakers, amps, sub etc. only after 6 months that too if I feels like else happy to keep it stock as much as possible.
Old 21st January 2015, 14:52   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I tried but could not get a decent pic of the under body without mechanically lifting the car. I will try to take a pic when I give my car for an under body wash.

However, the earlier illustration I shared is right on. That's how the rough road package looks in my car.
Thanks Charansuki, this is indeed a great relief.
Was reading the experience of a fellow BHPian with his newly acquired Vento DSG. One major issue he is kvetching about is the low ground clearance of the car resulting in scrapes on bad road patches.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3578114

I hope such is not the case with Skoda Rapid. Could you please share your experience on the ground clearance part of it.

Last edited by abhi_d : 21st January 2015 at 14:54.
Old 21st January 2015, 16:20   #66
BHPian

Quote:
I hope such is not the case with Skoda Rapid. Could you please share your experience on the ground clearance part of it.
Ground clearance is not a big issue with Rapid. Even fully loaded it wont touch most humps in bangalore, provided I go over it in the right speed. In cases where the humps are crazy and unscientific then those humps hits the under body when I go over it with a little extra speed. But if you are cautious then you get past 99% of the humps without any worries. No need for any special maneuvering like crossing the hump diagonally etc.

I travel daily on a road where there are 6 humps within a distance of 3 KMS. All are totally unscientific and dont have any width to the humps, only have height. So I am happy with the GC that Rapid has. The key is right speed and caution. God forbid the day that I dont see a hump and jump over it.

One thing to note is that if you go over a hump at a little extra speed, after the rear wheel crosses the hump, there is a chance that the tail pipe might hit the hump. This has happened to me a couple of times. I am now careful not to increase speed after my front wheels are over the hump.
charansuki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 16:27   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
December end I booked my Rapid DSG black edition in white color, even tough I had other colors in my mind but not the white, as didn't wanted to repeat the same color, but black edition did the black magic. Delivery might be end of Jan or first week of Feb, to my surprise black edition wont come with black roof and door stickers, they have 30K package for the same which includes the GPS navigation and wooden finish interiors which I doubt that I am opting for, rather I would prefer to get it done outside. Coming to the point why I have chosen this car even tough its for wife, I wanted automatic for her and the best choice was Polo TSI DSG but big cost for a hatch made me thing towards Vento 1.2 TSI and Rapid 1.5 TDI DSG and at last the black magic of Rapid won the game. Honda city, Verna, Ciaz etc were not at all came in picture as a choice, specially after owning the Maruti Swift I never even gave a thought of looking at Ciaz(pictures of its boot itself made me off from them).
Currently I am fixing the Blaupunkt Philadelphia AV system and leather seats from any of those major 4 players, good speakers, amps, sub etc. only after 6 months that too if I feels like else happy to keep it stock as much as possible.
Congrats on your choice and welcome to the Rapid family. Good to know someone else who has the same taste
Black roof and doors are dealer accessories. However the White Rapid with black package is one mean looking machine. My wife didnt share my enthusiasm on the black package . Hope you enjoy the looks as much as the machine

Wish you many happy miles and please post your experiences.

Note to Moderator: Apologies for back to back to posts. I missed seeing this post when I replied the first time.

Last edited by charansuki : 21st January 2015 at 16:28. Reason: Added to note to moderator
charansuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 19:07   #68
BHPian

Thanks Charansuki.
Just came back driving the Vento DSG on a pretty longish TD. Can't tell you how happy I'm for having booked Rapid instead of Vento.
Here are my big differentiation points:
1. Seats of Vento are non-supportive and too firm. Both me and my wife felt utter discomfort in just 25 minutes of our TD. We covered almost the same track in Rapid TD and it was so much better. We remember our Rapid experience vividly even after 3 weeks. Other than that, I felt sitting a bit lower in VW Vento compared to Rapid.

2. Suspension. You wont believe until you drive both of them. Both are completely different in this respect. I found VW to be quite bumpy and unsettled. While on the same stretch of road and nearly with same speed, Rapid was so very settled and composed.

3. Horn sound intrudes so much into the cabin as if the blow pipes have been reversed to face inside, it literally shrieks. May be not a very big issue for most but quite an irritant for me. I remember Rapid's horn was very muted inside.

4. Interesting revelation, Braking. Vento never provided the same bite I remember to get from Rapid. I remember it distinctly as we raved about Rapid's braking prowess and here I'm sitting in its close sibling and there is no semblance of the same power. Wait a minute, let me check the odo, it was 3578 Kms on Vento while the Rapid's TD vehicle roughly read 11k. So where is the difference?

Some research & then I found something interesting in the specs. While Vento's Safety features mentioned just ABS, the Rapid's read "ABS with Dual Rate Brake Assist". (Check the file attached)
Now this must be the real game changer here. (As I could not find any other difference mentioned elsewhere)

So guys, with this experience I'm now even more eagerly waiting for my Rapid's delivery.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf vento_rapid_ABS-1.pdf (520.4 KB, 554 views)

Last edited by abhi_d : 21st January 2015 at 19:11.
Old 22nd January 2015, 10:29   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Some research & then I found something interesting in the specs. While Vento's Safety features mentioned just ABS, the Rapid's read "ABS with Dual Rate Brake Assist". (Check the file attached)
Now this must be the real game changer here. (As I could not find any other difference mentioned elsewhere)
Congrats on your decision abhi_d and Wish you Happy Motoring with your 'TBD' (To Be Delivered) Rapid.

Having owned Polo GT TDi for a while now, I so agree with you that VW must really do something about the stopping power of their entry level cars. I have driven Vento as well and I felt it was a tiny bit scarier than my GT while sudden braking !!

Anyways, have you opted for the Black Edition or you keeping it Simple ?
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:48   #70
BHPian

Quote:
I have not checked under my car. However in the tech specs there is a mention of a "Rough Road Package" It is supposed to cover the car's important parts from humps and other road oddities. Below is a pic from skoda on how it is supposed to look. I will check today to see if it is there in my car
The car in the image you posted is not the indian Rapid. it is the Euro rapid. Can you double check if the protection under the engine is present in your car. It is not there in my vento (1.6 TDI) bought in november. But the protection under the passenger area is present. Can Vento 1.5 TDI owners also check if the engine protection is present or not. If it is available i would like to get one for my car.
Old 22nd January 2015, 20:13   #71
BHPian

Rough road package is a part of Indian Rapid too. You can check in the skoda India web page. Plus I have already confirmed this with the sales guy at Tafe...
Old 23rd January 2015, 02:27   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Rough road package is a part of Indian Rapid too. You can check in the skoda India web page. Plus I have already confirmed this with the sales guy at Tafe...
It has always been a part of the package. But the shield under the engine has never been there. Neither in Vento nor in Rapid. It is only the plastic shields on the sides as shown in the pic that has been there.

As far as the engine undercover is concerned, both the cars have had only a thick material (carpet type) covering for the oil sump.
torque18 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:15   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I am not saying rough road package is not there. My question was if the protection under the engine is present or not. It was not there in the earlier Ventos and Rapids (i checked quite a few). Not sure about the 2015 model (1.5 TDI), so just wanted to be sure. The protection under the passenger compartment has been there.

Also there is more to rough road package than this cover, one of the primary components of rough road package is the raised suspension.
Old 8th March 2015, 15:11   #74
BHPian

Just came back from TD of rapid DSG at vinayak. Fantastic car went for a longish TD on ORR. Few questions though:
1. Very less dealer discount offered. Anyone else bought from this showroom and how much was the discount offered?
2. Extended warranty is increasing to ₹29000 from 16 march onwards. Is this true with all dealers??

Issue mentioned in point 1 is a dampner. I wanted to book today itself but wanted to check how much discount tafe provides.
Old 9th March 2015, 09:23   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Perfect! That's the one.

Thanks a lot Gurucharan! This is definitely an upgraded BCM compared to the one we have on the previous generation Rapid models. Will have to see if there's a way to retrofit the cruise control stalk.
Hi Gannu, As far as I know, the cruise control is a Steering module property. How is it dependent on the BCM. I have been actively searching to retrofit Cruise control on my passat and, from my search what I have learnt is that the Steering wheel module needs to support cruise control (mine already does), So i just need to upgrade the stalks to the cruise control ones and run a wire (single wire) from the steering Module to the Engine Control Module ( or a compartment in the engine bay under the wiper motor). Please correct me if I am wrong.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks