Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2014, 15:57   #1
BHPian

My Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG, Elegance : Initial ownership experience

Hi Everybody, This is my second initial ownership report on Team-Bhp. My first car was a Ford figo, Titanium diesel. After 3.8 year and 80,000+ Kms on the ODO, I decided to upgrade the car. So here I write my story again to take you through what transpired and an initial review of my new muse, the Skoda Rapid 1.5, Elegance, DSG.

Well, lets get the boring part out of the way quickly. My figo was an excellent car, the driving dynamics was spot on, good FE and decent maintenance costs. It was way more spacious than any other car in that segment and I loved every mile that I put on it. But all good things must come to an end. With the change of a job, I could now afford a big car and my budget now stretched till 15 lakhs.

I started to look at the so called “urban suvs” such as eco sport, terrano, duster and the likes, however I quickly over ruled them as they were not so premium inside. I my thinking was, if I am paying 10+ lakhs for a car then it should have a luxury feel to it. So with a change in my thinking I moved to the sedan segment. The options were many but I quickly narrowed down my requirements which helped me choose a car. My requirements in order were
1. I need a diesel car as I do lot of highway driving
2. I need an automatic transmission as my wife loathes a manual transmission
3. I need the good/solid build and driving dynamics of ford, if not better
4. Should have a premium feel to the car
5. Should have decent space and comfort
6. Decent mileage and after sales service

So that left us with the newly launched Vento and Rapid. The other option was Verna, It got ruled out on account of point no 3. Now we were left to choose between Vento and Rapid. Between the two devils we chose the handsome one, as the rest all factors pretty much remained the same. We felt that Rapid has a better road presence and handling was better when compared to Vento. Also Rapid had cruise control option and the top end Elegance (WO black package) was cheaper than Vento Highline. And so we booked a Rapid on Oct 28th.

The Sales experience

I will talk only about my experience with Skoda guys now. We did test drive the VW Vento and found it similar to Rapid. The experience with VW guys was good and prompt and we had no complaints.
In Skoda, Vinayak was better than Tafe in our opinion. When we called Tafe access on Hosur Road, it was a Sunday at 11AM. The security guard picked up the phone and said nobody is available to answer my queries, when asked whether the show room is open today the answer was that it was open but until a sales guy comes in nobody can answer me. I asked when they might come; he said “I don’t know, they will come when they want as it is a Sunday”. It was really funny to hear his response and it reinforced my impression about Skoda being very shoddy. I almost considered buying a Vento after this but decided to give them another chance. I called them later in the day at around 3PM and this time they were available and confirmed that they have a DSG for test drive. Me and my wife went over there immediately and took the test drive. We just loved the car and the DSG magic. We decided that this will be our car. Tafe access gave us 20K discount without asking and tried to close the sale immediately, however when asked for the buy back of my ford figo, they quoted 2.2 Lakhs which was ridiculous to say the least. So we didn’t close the deal and decided to give Vinayak cars a shot.

The next week we tried Vinayak cars. This was again on a Sunday but the response was prompt and asked us to come down for a test drive. We took a test drive and everything from greeting to explaining the features was better than Tafe. Also the sales rep was very prompt and offered to get my figo evaluated the next day for an honest quote. Their evaluator came the next day as promised and valued my car at 3 Lakhs, which was still way less than what I wanted but still much better than Tafe. (I sold my figo for 3.7 on an online portal myself). Seeing their prompt response and behavior, I decided to go with Vinayak. Below was my deal with them

1. 27500 cash discount
2. Free accessories like mud flaps, mats and the clichéd Teflon coating
3. 10% off on accessories like rear view camera and leather seats
4. Delivery before end of November
'
It was a better deal than Tafe and we booked our car at Vinayak. The car was allotted to me within 2 days of booking and was promised of delivery as soon as full amount is paid. Of course, no buying experience is remiss with its share of confusions and let downs and I had two of them

1. Toffee or Coffee: I really wanted toffee brown color for my car. But none of the brochures or web information was mentioning this at the time of my purchase. However one newly printed brochure at Vinayak did mention this color as an option and I eagerly wanted it. I was told that this color would not be available till Dec-Jan and they are not sure of the timeline. With a heavy heart I booked Cappuccino Beige as I really wanted the car before my 30th birthday.

On the day my loan was finalized I went to their yard in KR puram to inspect the car that was allotted to me and to my utter surprise, there were two toffee brown DSG elegance models in the yard. I was completely disappointed and pointed to the sales rep that this was not right. She mentioned that she was clueless about this. Later spoke to sales manager and he gave some half convincing excuse about those two cars being demo vehicles for their showrooms and not for sale. I called up Tafe to see if they have any toffee brown models available. The sales rep mentioned that he has few in transit and would deliver by last week in November, on further exploring and explaining my full situation he said that toffee brown has been available since October and they have made previous deliveries etc etc. I was not sure whom to believe. All the down payments were already paid and Loan was sanctioned so it would have been a pain to cancel at Vinayak and go to Tafe. After sleeping on it for a day we decided to go with our booking with Vinayak and not to get into hassles of cancelling and fighting with dealers. Also we decided to give the benefit of the doubt to Vinayak as toffee brown was indeed pretty new color and even the Skoda website was not mentioning it at the time of booking.

Warranty no Guarantee: At the time of booking the sales manager said that there was no additional warranty on DSG variants at the time and we could buy it after few months when it was rolled out. On the day of the delivery I got to know that there was extended warranty available. So naturally I wanted to buy it. To my surprise they mentioned that they can’t give me the warranty now as my car is already registered and I have to buy it later when Skoda rolls it out for older cars. I failed to understand the logic and asked how it is relevant and told them I am not signing on the delivery papers unless I get warranty. They discussed for some time and gave me the warranty with an additional payment as prescribed for warranty (11,700 rs) and changed my insurance from future generali to Bajaj Allianz. Their justification was that all extended warranty vehicles need to be registered with Bajaj Allianz. I am yet to receive my extended warranty documents, but I have a receipt for paying the amount for extended warranty. The dealer has promised to send the documents by end of this week.

Now lets talk about the car itself. It’s a brilliant machine. The highlight is the lightning quick DSG gearbox. If anybody is considering buying a Skoda Rapid, then it should really only be for a DSG gearbox. Anything else is not a valid reason as every other car is better than a rapid in one way or the other. The Rapid really shines with the AT. The shifts are lightning fast and butter smooth. The car itself looks very understated and dignified, which is exactly how I wanted it. My family loves the interiors and I love to drive the car. I have driven about 900Kms in less than a week in all sort of driving conditions and I am very happy with my choice. I won’t go into a detailed review and praise fest of the car as it is covered in the official review. I will talk about each section of the car and my likes and dislikes (if any)

The Riding and Handling: The car is simply superb to drive. The seating position is spot on. The suspension is well tuned for both highways and intercity drives. Much better than my Figo and since I don’t have any other point of reference I will say suspension and handling exceeds my expectations. The drive is well planted on high speeds and extremely nimble in city traffic. The steering weighs up brilliantly on high speeds but still falls marginally short of the hydraulic steering on my Figo. I didn’t hit any bumps on the road with full load in the car, except once and that was because the bump was more a mini hill and I was driving rally style. However, I am still getting used to the boot and the heavy thud that the rear suspension makes whenever I take it over a significant bump. Coming from a hatchback I had never experienced a heavier rear so may be its just me.

Fuel Efficiency: The car is giving me a good mileage of 19-21 in the highways. I have covered about 900Kms so far on a single tank and the fuel indicator is yet to reach the 1/4th position. Since the driving was primarily on highways I can’t yet comment on city mileage but with whatever city driving I have done so far, the MFD shows an average of 13.5KMPL with 100% auto AC. I am happy with that number and look forward to maintain it.
Cabin comfort: The cabin is very airy and bright. It offers decent space, definitely not to the level of City or Verna but comfortable for 5 people. The middle person in the rear seat will be a tad bit uncomfortable but not too much of a bother. If it is just 4 people then there is no room for complaints. The noise insulation is pretty good and is very silent inside the cabin even on high revs. External noise is almost nil unless a bus or a truck passes by you. Very minimal tire noise on stock Apollo tires even in high speeds. The storage spaces are just adequate and seats are very comfortable. The driver seat lacks a lumbar support option and I did wish it had that. The driver side arm rest has, I think, 7 levels of height adjustment and finding the one that fits you is not a problem at all. With an automatic transmission I can’t stress enough about the importance of this arm rest . The dashboard storage compartment is very spacious and the Skoda booklet fits neatly into the assigned space. It even has a sun glass holder and space for spare change.

Cruise control: This option was the one which actually made me buy Skoda over Vento. My logic was that if I am paying then might as well have it. But little did I realize how useful it would be even on Indian roads. The trick I think is to find the right speed that you can control and just switch on CC. Once it is switched on the car does amazingly well to optimally shift gears to ensure you reach/stay the fixed speed. Here is what I did on the Bangalore-Mysore highway at night. I set the speed to 80KMPH and put the CC on. Whenever I had to slow down I pressed the brake and CC used to get switched off. Once I had the room to accelerate I just used to press “RES” button on CC and the AMT worked its magic to get me to 80KMPH without me pressing the accelerator. I had two advantages. First, I didn’t have to press the pedal to accelerate which means I am more relaxed. Second, the FE improved dramatically, as the AMT keeps the RPM in the lowest possible range for the given speed. I am in love with this feature and thank god that I bought this. Of course on bumper to bumper traffic, this is absolutely useless. But if you do lot of highway journeys like me then trust me you will love this feature, even on Indian roads.

The engine and Transmission: Now we come to the biggest factor of this car. The 1.5 ltr diesel heart and the 7 speed DSG automatic. Well, for a person who has never driven an AMT in India, I can’t say how much of a relief this is. I don’t loathe traffic anymore, and the highway driving is such a pleasure as well. It has got such wide range of gear ratios that it fits into any occasion with ease. The power delivery is lightning quick and butter smooth. The D (Drive) mode is the most versatile mode. Initially I thought I will mostly be in S (Sports) mode as my driving style inclines towards speed than comfort but boy was I mistaken. D mode is very adaptive to your driving style (So is S mode as well) if you are driving with a heavy foot then even in D mode you will see the gears holding steady at higher RPM’s up until 4.5K RPM. And downshifts are quick too if you decelerate quite often. After few miles of spirited driving, if you want to ease off then all you have to do is ease off on throttle and gears upshift quickly even at 1.5K RPM. It just adapts so quickly and seamlessly. I don’t miss my Manual at all. Just to quote an anecdote, and please don’t think I am an irresponsible speed junkie, I came across this 1.6 older Skoda rapid on the highway and we both reached a road hump at the same time. We both put the throttle all the way down and my car was meters ahead at the end of a quarter mile than the other car. It happened again and again, I was able to seamlessly overtake the older Rapid even at 140 KMPH and leave the other car far behind. This went on for about 5-8 kms and later I eased off and let the other car pass. What made me very convinced of the DSG was that I was able to catch up to the already speeding car with very less time, overtake and be very ahead all within matter of seconds. To top it off, I did all this only in D mode. All I had to do was press the throttle all the way down and the down kick was instantaneous. The lower gears held steady at higher RPMs until I eased off the throttle. I have been hearing that the 1.6 was way better; I don’t agree and even if it was the DSG takes that advantage away from it.

Coming to the engine, It is smooth and less noisy than my figo. Very minimal turbo lag and very fun to drive even in city. I am not sure how this will behave with a MT but in my car I don’t find myself lacking for power at any circumstance.

Well I am attaching few initial photos but will update with more photos after this weekend. I am driving to Kerala and plan to have a mini photo shoot with my DSLR and post some good quality photos. For now, I wish I have none of the A.S.S nightmares with this car and continue to love this as much I do now.
Attached Thumbnails
My Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG, Elegance : Initial ownership experience-img_20141112_113159.jpg  

My Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG, Elegance : Initial ownership experience-img_20141112_113212.jpg  

My Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG, Elegance : Initial ownership experience-img_20141112_114615.jpg  

My Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG, Elegance : Initial ownership experience-img_20141113_005741.jpg  

charansuki is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 17:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: My Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG, Elegance : Initial ownership experience

Congrats on your new car, the extended warranty issue is their gimmick that’s all. When we bought 3 cars in January, we had specifically asked for extended warranty buy they tried to play with us. For 2 of us they gave extended warranty and for one guy they declined saying insurance was from ICICI. They were showered with all possible words and warned of worst consequence, if they did not cancel the ICICI insurance and allow us to opt for extended warranty. They eventually agreed with no choice and also disclosed that they get more margins from ICICI as against Bajaj Allianz. The difference in premium is also evident, BA costs less than ICICI. Skoda makes it mandatory to buy Bajaj Allianz insurance if you want extended warranty. You will receive the booklet within 2-3 weeks; it’s good that you bought extended warranty.

Last edited by deehunk : 18th November 2014 at 17:46.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 17:49   #3
BHPian

Thanks deehunk, Yes, I as forced to take bajaj allianz, but premium remained the same so I didnt care. I had bajaj allianz for my old car and was pretty happy with it so actually worked out better.
Old 18th November 2014, 22:19   #4
BHPian

Congrats on your new car. Rapid is a great car. I had tried the petrol AT when I had similar to you, had shortlisted Rapid and Vento. However, I did choose the Vento TSI purely for the DSG. The dealers play around with the colours and relent only when pushed. I was kept waiting for 4 months and eventually settled for a second choice and that was after being on the verge of cancelling and going to another dealer.
However the colour you have now is also a good one. Enjoy your new ride.
Old 19th November 2014, 07:37   #5

Hi. Many congratulations on your new ride. She's definitely the looker out of the two siblings from VAG. My question/s would be that having driven manuals is there sometimes any sort of disconnect between you and the DSG? I have driven the DSG and its dfntly a quick learning box but still when driven enthusiastically, has there ever been anysort of unexpected response from the box? Secondly, I myself drive a ford fiesta(2010) so both of us know our fare share of the right 'steering feel' and 'driving dynamics'. My question is, does the unit in the rapid feel numb/ bland to you? And more importantly, how much?
Old 19th November 2014, 12:26   #6
BHPian

Congratulations. The cappuccino beige does infact give the car a more sophisticated look. Add to that the fact that it hides the dirt and grime very well, so if ever you need to get lazy, you can do so and skip the cleaning part for a day or two.

BTW, whats your take on the low beams? Do you like the throw?
Old 19th November 2014, 13:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4wheels View Post
Congrats on your new car. Rapid is a great car. I had tried the petrol AT when I had similar to you, had shortlisted Rapid and Vento. However, I did choose the Vento TSI purely for the DSG. The dealers play around with the colours and relent only when pushed. I was kept waiting for 4 months and eventually settled for a second choice and that was after being on the verge of cancelling and going to another dealer.
However the colour you have now is also a good one. Enjoy your new ride.
Thank you. I am now beginning to like the color as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msc07 View Post
Hi. Many congratulations on your new ride. She's definitely the looker out of the two siblings from VAG. My question/s would be that having driven manuals is there sometimes any sort of disconnect between you and the DSG? I have driven the DSG and its dfntly a quick learning box but still when driven enthusiastically, has there ever been anysort of unexpected response from the box? Secondly, I myself drive a ford fiesta(2010) so both of us know our fare share of the right 'steering feel' and 'driving dynamics'. My question is, does the unit in the rapid feel numb/ bland to you? And more importantly, how much?
Well, I personally feel Skoda is the good looking one. feels more upmarket for my family. Individual opinions change.

DSG rarely feels disconnected, however i did feel a disconnect when i was climbing a steep hill. The car was fully loaded and i was climbing the gopalswamy hill in bandipur. Car simply wouldnt upshift both in D and S mode and was almost redlining before it decided to Upshift,This happened while both climbing up and coming down. But thats where the triptronic was useful. I switched to manual and upshifted when i wanted. Downshifts were not an issue. Triptronic automatically downshifts when you slow down.

Steering is very good to drive. Its not as great as a hydraulic on fords fiesta and figo but it is definitely better than an ecosport and hyundai's. The thing with this steering is that it feels artificially weighed, It doesnt strike real world balance so you will notice the difference when you are driving on familiar roads. For example, when I take a turn from my house to the road, I feel slight more resistance than what I was used to in my Figo. It may be because Rapid is a heavier car with bigger tires. This feeling is not constant through out, if you speed up a little more then car appears lighter almost immediately and on high speeds it weighs up again. So in short it appears that the steering tries to add and remove weight on some calculation that may work or miss slightly. But its not a big difference and doesn't take anything away from driving pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Congratulations. The cappuccino beige does infact give the car a more sophisticated look. Add to that the fact that it hides the dirt and grime very well, so if ever you need to get lazy, you can do so and skip the cleaning part for a day or two.

BTW, whats your take on the low beams? Do you like the throw?
Thanks deepfusion, I am beginning to like the color now, however whenever i see a toffee brown car on the road, there is a slight knot in the stomach but i feel it is disappearing slowly.

Low beams are, at best, just enough. high beams are satisfactory. I want to upgrade the lights but i am hesitating, primarily because I am very conscious that I will irritate my fellow road travelers and secondly because of warranty. any suggestions that will overcome both of my concerns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post
Congrats. Well come to Skoda family. A good decision.
Thanks Alsuda, I feel welcome
Old 19th November 2014, 13:14   #8
BHPian

I Just want to update few more things on regarding the options and discounts available on this car.

One of the members on a Facebook community mentioned that he has received 45K cash discount, toffee brown color Elegance DSG and a 5 year warranty. 2+2 costs 11,700 and 2+3 costs 21,700. I was never even offerred an additional warranty let alone the 2+3. I luckily got to know about 2+2 and bought it. Had I been aware of 2+3 I would have negotiated for that as well. Anyway, nothing much can be done now. Anybody else interested to buy can now keep this discount and warranty as a benchmark

Also, one suggestion please. The small idol that the showroom gave came loose from the dashboard and is now lodged in the front windshield defogger vent. I can see it is still there even after all these days, but I cant reach it. Any idea how to remove it? or the cost to get it removed?. If I just leave it there, would it be a problem?
charansuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 15:36   #9
BHPian

Congrats Charansuki on a great buy. May you have thousands of trouble free miles. It would be nice if you could post a few photos of the interiors, especially the leather seats you opted for. A pic of the rear view camera screen would also be nice. I am asking this because these are in my shortlist too ;-) and a final request, could you post the detailed cost including the accessories. Thanks in advance.
Old 19th November 2014, 15:46   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey congratulations charansuki on the wonderful car! Looks wonderful in the pictures. Wishing you and your family unlimited safe & happy miles with it! Keep the thread updated

BTW, Addressing the DSG as "AMT" is like addressing a Ferrari as a "Car" .
PS - I'm pretty sure that if you had threatened a cancellation - the Vinayak guys would have promptly allocated the colour you wanted. And given smart excuses like last minute cancellations / their own generousness of giving away their demo cars to you. Anyway, doesn't matter now. Enjoy the ride!

Last edited by Reinhard : 19th November 2014 at 15:59.
Old 19th November 2014, 16:01   #11
BHPian

Congrats!
Welcome to Skoda family. I too have same color but don't have DSG
I envy you for your beauty. I will be watching this thread very closely. Looking forawrd for more inputs from you on the performance of your car.
Iam waiting for the alloy wheel pic
Wish you many more happy miles!

Last edited by hillsnrains : 19th November 2014 at 16:13. Reason: Forget something, i.e alloy pic
Old 19th November 2014, 16:17   #12
BHPian

Congratulations Charansuki, on Your New Rapid, its a super car., Wish you miles of happy rides,,

I was also in same quandry - Vento or Rapid - however, the Looks of Rapid, and the more visible and SOLID feel of Rapid won over the Vento,,
Mine is a Manual 1.6 TDI, Elegance,
I was not sure about an Automatic - have never driven any.. so decided to go with 1.6 Manual - Did not wait for the New 1.5 OR DSG,

Never heard about the Toffee Colour, or seen one, but, CB is really cool and masks lot of dirt,,

I am also not that satisfied on the Beam of Projector Lamps, High beam is just OK, but otherwise, I am also inclined to upgrade the Bulbs - but, that would definitely bust the Warranty, so, staying put,, not sure - what can be done..

Same story with Additional Warranty and Insurance, here with my Dealer in Pune,

However - They were very prompt and professional, and Hoping, Skoda has finally fixed their ASS.
Old 19th November 2014, 20:46   #13
BHPian

Re: My Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG, Elegance : Initial ownership experience

Is there a toffee brown colour for Rapid?. The Skoda India website does not show this colour as an option
Old 20th November 2014, 09:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charansuki View Post
I Just want to update few more things on regarding the options and discounts available on this car.

One of the members on a Facebook community mentioned that he has received 45K cash discount, toffee brown color Elegance DSG and a 5 year warranty. 2+2 costs 11,700 and 2+3 costs 21,700. I was never even offerred an additional warranty let alone the 2+3. I luckily got to know about 2+2 and bought it. Had I been aware of 2+3 I would have negotiated for that as well. Anyway, nothing much can be done now. Anybody else interested to buy can now keep this discount and warranty as a benchmark

Also, one suggestion please. The small idol that the showroom gave came loose from the dashboard and is now lodged in the front windshield defogger vent. I can see it is still there even after all these days, but I cant reach it. Any idea how to remove it? or the cost to get it removed?. If I just leave it there, would it be a problem?

Congrats charansuki. It is a definite beauty isnt it? I especially like the new projectors. Also i wanted to know couple of things.

1. How is the default audio system in Rapid when compared to Figo?
2. Can you please post the total cost of the car with all the breakups? You can PM me also if its not right to post on a public forum.

Im having my eyes on this beauty now, hopefully in next 1 month i will be able to book one.

Cheers,
Kiran
Old 20th November 2014, 11:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charansuki View Post
Thanks deepfusion, I am beginning to like the color now, however whenever i see a toffee brown car on the road, there is a slight knot in the stomach but i feel it is disappearing slowly.

Low beams are, at best, just enough. high beams are satisfactory. I want to upgrade the lights but i am hesitating, primarily because I am very conscious that I will irritate my fellow road travelers and secondly because of warranty. any suggestions that will overcome both of my concerns?
I am waiting for some free time when I would take the rapid and the p8 HIDs for a transplant into the low beams. For the high beams, I am looking at philips white vision/crystal vision or the Osram Night Breakers unlimited/plus. Will keep you posted.

Most Viewed