Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2014, 14:21   #46
BHPian

Re: My Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG, Elegance : Initial ownership experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_d View Post
Thanks for elaborating that. What I meant was that I felt it to be a bit more eager/speedier than other torque converter /CVT based ATs (Honda City & i10 Auto to be precise) in creeping mode.
But I get it from you now, this may be due to its extra power (in comparison to i10 and previous gen City automatic) and the DSG's more directness with the engine that makes it a bit more springy than traditional ATs.
Yes you are correct, mis-interpreted your last post. I was having trouble initially too, as I never drove an AMT before, but it just took one day to get adjusted to this creep, Now actually I like it.

Are you still deciding between VW and Skoda?
charansuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 15:18   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charansuki View Post
Yes you are correct, mis-interpreted your last post. I was having trouble initially too, as I never drove an AMT before, but it just took one day to get adjusted to this creep, Now actually I like it.

Are you still deciding between VW and Skoda?
Hey Thanks again.
The battle has become ever more fierce now. Yesterday while negotiating a deal for a new Wagon R Stingray (passion Red) for my wife in exchange of her aging Wagon R. Please don't ask me why she loves only Waogon Rs (She thinks that's the only car that understands her supreme driving movements and secondly she loves the height of its seat and its compactness). While she was busy selecting color and interiors I sneaked away with a serious look (to give her an impression that I was going away to find ways to add more value to the deal) and made my way to a parked Ciaz. As I always wanted, a Sales Rep asked me to take a TD. Controlled my excitement and kept a reluctant expression. Okay, I said.
It was a white Zdi and I was told that Zdi Plus was not yet launched. So, how did it matter to me anyways. My only two contenders were Rapid and the Vento.

Having tested Honda city diesel just a few days back and knowing what a joke it was, I knew I was driving Ciaz only to make myself even more convinced for my decision to go in for either a Skoda Rapid or a VW Vento.

I pressed the push button and the engine noise was nicely hushed and barely inside the cabin. Hmm good. Slotted the gear lever to first and yes this gearbox is miles ahead than the notchy one I experienced in Honda city a few days back. I won't say that it was as crisp as Skoda's but the throw was short and sweet. The car acceleration was quite linear and the engine was refined, yes surely so. I knew the same engine was so jittery in an Ertiga I test drive last year. I was tempted to drive further. I took it for a spin on a longer route and I could realize that this was indeed a very good car to drive. Then I took it to a rough patch, which are plenty to find in our Hyderabad these days, and it soaked them up nicely without getting jittery at all. Then what, my wife looked at me and questioned, “Why didn't you consider this car earlier”, Silence from my side, just a grin. She asked me to stop and sat in the back seat. After another 5 minutes of drive I heard Wow!.

And I knew what was coming next. Ciaz had become a solid contender in the list. Late in the evening I gave her a knowledge session that althogh I was also quite impressed with Ciaz but why German cars are way better built than Japs. Also told her to remember her TD in Skoda Rapid DSG, which she liked so much.

There were few things that caught her attention, may be small but mattered to both of us. These were there in Ciaz and missing in Rapid

First & the foremost, rear AC vents could be closed completely. Becomes important sometimes, specially for my little one who catches up cold with slightest whiff of cold air.
The transmission tunnel is not that pronounced (as in Rapid) so the person sitting in the middle is not that much uncomfortable as in Rapid

Folding OVRMs, important again for parking in tight spots or in markets

So we decided to go in for a review TD of Rapid again before making a final decision. BTW on hearing that we were considering Ciaz also, the Skoda guys committed for January 2015 delivery of a 2015 manufactured model. Earlier it was March 2015 delivery and no certainty of 2015 manufactured model
Ciaz, did some good already

Will keep you posted of what all unfolds
abhi_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 17:16   #48
BHPian

That's good to hear. Ciaz is indeed a good car at an attractive price point. The only reason i didnt go for it is because it did not have an AT but you should seriously consider it keeping in mind the service quality of Maruti and Resale value as well. IMHO, if you are considering Skoda or VW then it should only be for the DSG. If you can live without the DSG then consider other cars seriously. If you love DSG then dont look at other cars, just go for Skoda or VW.

All the best and keep us updated on what you choose. BTW, negotiate harder and you may even get a discount on Skoda
charansuki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 17:56   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Thoroughly confused between City CVT and Rapid DSG. My explanations below -

Rapid +ves

- Fuel efficient and cheaper to run as I clock close to 2000 kms per month
- Minimalist designing and interiors suit my taste
- Built like a tank
- And obviously DSG
- 40k cash discount and no EMI till 2016

Rapid -ves

- DSG and notorious nature
- Skoda ASS
- Low resale and demand
- Only 2014 model under "Buy in 2014 and Pay in 2016 scheme"

City CVT +ves

- Brilliant package and reliability
- Larger foothold
- Excellent ASS and resale value
- Reliability of Honda
- Will get a 2015 VIN

City CVT -ves

- Petrol engine only
- CVT does not even come close to DSG
- Overtly styled - No offence to admirers but not to my taste
- No discounts whatsoever

Any pointers and opinion will be helpful. Difference in EMI of the variants I am looking at is negated by fuel bills.
Your points are good but as pointed earlier by fellow members, it makes sense for you to go for Diesel.

If you want an AT then why look for anything else other than a DSG, there is no better gearbox than DSG in India currently (in this price range) Any concerns you might have about reliability should be addressed by buying a 5 year warranty. By your calculations you will be running about 1.2 Lakh Kms in 5 years. This is more than enough usage and warranty period to ally any concerns you might have about DSG gearbox. Sell it off before the warranty period ends if you still have any reservations.

Resale value will obviously be less and this is where you decide if thats important to you. Every other area is addressed.

IMO, buying a car is a matter that is decided by the heart. Brain will weigh in but its the heart that should take the call. Go with what feels right for you, value the feel, comfort and attraction equally with all other aspects. We might all give feedback but its you who will drive the car. If you like your car then you will be willing to put up with some extra inconvenience, if any. If you dont like it, any inconvenience will be a reason to curse everybody and their family

IMO, between the choices you have finalized, Skoda is a better car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudharysaab View Post
Hi hillsnrains, Please let us know the FE you are getting in city traffic. I heard that DSG can do wonder in crawling traffic like in Delhi. Please confirm you numbers till now.
I can answer that for you. I have not been to Delhi, but in Bangalore, my DSG is giving me an average of 13.5KMPL within city using 100% AC. I have just run 2250 KMS so far, so expecting it to improve further.
Old 30th December 2014, 11:34   #50
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 7th January 2015 at 13:27.
Old 6th January 2015, 14:01   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Note from Mod :

Abh_D and Abhjain, Request you both to please carry out your personal conversations over a PM or offline.

Last 10-15 posts is like a 1-1 conversation between you both and does not add value to thread ownership. Thanks for your understanding !!
Old 8th January 2015, 12:32   #52
Team-BHP Support

Gurucharan, could you please help? Please take a snap (with flash) of the BCM (body control module) of your Rapid by taking a peek below the steering wheel and in the area underneath it. It is located here:

My Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG, Elegance : Initial ownership experience-skodarapiddsg02.jpg

(Pic from the official review)

You will have to bend down in the footwell area and look up. Since you have the cruise control stalk installed, I’d like to know if Skoda has changed the BCM of the car or has retained the previous one.

The number should be something like 6R0 XXX XXX X. Many thanks!
Old 12th January 2015, 23:17   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Gurucharan, could you please help? Please take a snap (with flash) of the BCM (body control module) of your Rapid by taking a peek below the steering wheel and in the area underneath it. It is located here:

You will have to bend down in the footwell area and look up. Since you have the cruise control stalk installed, I’d like to know if Skoda has changed the BCM of the car or has retained the previous one.

The number should be something like 6R0 XXX XXX X. Many thanks!
Hi, Sorry for the delay in response. I was travelling out of station. I did what you asked me to but I couldnt find any number at the back of steering wheel at all. Did I misinterpret your post? Can you post where you found the number on your car? It will help me to find the information for you.
Old 13th January 2015, 09:43   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Did I misinterpret your post?
I think you did.

I should have posted another snap indicating where the BCM is located. It is located underneath the steering wheel hidden behind the plastic trims. Here:

My Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG, Elegance : Initial ownership experience-rapid-005.jpg

(Image source: Rapid ownership log on TBHP)

You need to rest your head on the footwell and look upwards. The BCM is a black plastic box which looks like this:

My Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG, Elegance : Initial ownership experience-_57-1.jpg

(Image source: eBay Fr)

How’s the car treating you? And the DSG experience? Are you using cruise control often?
Old 15th January 2015, 17:36   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

You need to rest your head on the footwell and look upwards. The BCM is a black plastic box which looks like this:

How’s the car treating you? And the DSG experience? Are you using cruise control often?

Here, I tried to take the pic as you suggested. Is this what you were looking for?

I use the cruise control whenever possible. I use it especially on NICE road here in Bangalore. Totally love it, the FE Indicator just increases sharply whenever the car's on cruise mode. Glad I went for this option
Attached Thumbnails
My Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG, Elegance : Initial ownership experience-1421323427462.jpg  

Old 16th January 2015, 15:52   #56
BHPian

Charansuki, could you please confirm that in the newer model, whether the engine guard is provided (I mean under the engine if there is a shield to protect it from stones or humps) and also if the wipers still pose the problem for cleaning the windshield properly.
Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 16:11   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Charansuki, could you please confirm that in the newer model, whether the engine guard is provided (I mean under the engine if there is a shield to protect it from stones or humps) and also if the wipers still pose the problem for cleaning the windshield properly.
Thanks
I have not checked under my car. However in the tech specs there is a mention of a "Rough Road Package" It is supposed to cover the car's important parts from humps and other road oddities. Below is a pic from skoda on how it is supposed to look. I will check today to see if it is there in my car

The wipers are still a problem for cleaning the windshield and my security guard, who washes the car, has already scratched the rim of my bonnet while trying to lift the wiper. It scratch is not visible unless you go looking for it.
charansuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 16:32   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here, I tried to take the pic as you suggested. Is this what you were looking for?
Perfect! That's the one.

Thanks a lot Gurucharan! This is definitely an upgraded BCM compared to the one we have on the previous generation Rapid models. Will have to see if there's a way to retrofit the cruise control stalk.
Old 16th January 2015, 22:39   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I have not checked under my car. However in the tech specs there is a mention of a "Rough Road Package" It is supposed to cover the car's important parts from humps and other road oddities. Below is a pic from skoda on how it is supposed to look. I will check today to see if it is there in my car

The wipers are still a problem for cleaning the windshield and my security guard, who washes the car, has already scratched the rim of my bonnet while trying to lift the wiper. It scratch is not visible unless you go looking for it.
That'll be very assuring as the other ownership thread shows no engine protection for mid 2014 model.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-1-6l-tdi.html

If Skoda has provided proper rough road package then this must be one very important enhancements in newer version.

Last edited by abhi_d : 16th January 2015 at 22:44.
Old 16th January 2015, 23:06   #60
BHPian

Quote:
If Skoda has provided proper rough road package then this must be one very important enhancements in newer version.
I just checked under my car. I am happy to report that there is indeed a rough road package, as per my previous post, that is covering the vital parts of my car. Gives me more confidence when going over the monstrous Bangalore road humps

Most Viewed