Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2006, 11:15   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj
It certainly is superior to the baleno, but the question was how much car are you getting and at what price?

Relates to my story on househunting - We live in a 1800 sq ft flat splat in the middle of town. As always, nothing is enough, the Mrs will crib..if only I had the extra room = 500sq ft more. SO the hunt begins....alas, we would have to pay what amounts to Rs 60 more lakhs for an extra 500 sq ft and not necessarily in the location where we are in leading us back to staus quo and reality.

We probably could bank that 60 lakhs and put the excess guests in the club and be richer.

Rangaraj's issue is why pay 10 lakhs more for not much in performance etc for what he is getting already. Only major gain would be in safety and image
Old 10th August 2006, 12:08   #17
BHPian

Agree guys,but benchmarking against what and by whom would lead to ..........

cheers
Old 10th August 2006, 13:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR
Agree guys,but benchmarking against what and by whom would lead to ..........
One will always comapre another car with the one he or she is driving so there is nothing wrong. Quite a honest report there rangaraj
Old 10th August 2006, 13:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

One thing is for sure. Don't expect new cars to be as hardcore as the ones that came before.

Forget Baleno. Lets talk Honda vs Honda. The Civic is a quick car but the OHC 1.5 and Vtec were a lot more involving and fun to drive. Same story with the NHC Vtec.

So, it ain't surprising if one feels his older car, still interests him more than the recent ones.

There's a reason why the Civic has a "Type R / Si" variant in some countries.

Shan2nu
Old 10th August 2006, 14:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The driver seat was not has comfortable as the baleno - when i tried taking a corner at around 80-90 kmph the seat did not keep my back in place like the baleno does (the side support).
Well that does then vindicate my observation. Although I did not drive the Civic with a frame of mind wherein I was comparing it to the Baleno - I did feel that I was more comfy in the Baleno seat, after the Civic test drive.

Overall I liked the Civic ..
Old 10th August 2006, 14:51   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One thing is for sure. Don't expect new cars to be as hardcore as the ones that came before.
Golden Point! Except for the RS, there really is nothing exciting that has been launched in the last 2 years. Back in the Y2000, we had a war against Ikon / Baleno / Vtec / Lancer going on. All of them were great drivers cars for the time.
Old 10th August 2006, 14:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From my perspective i came at it as a current owner of baleno. But overall if you look at the marketspace - baleno is probably the benchmark for a car with performance, space and is a VFM leader in its segment. The new entrants will compared to this from a performance and value.. I am of course not implying that the Civic is in the same segment as the baleno.. It certainly is superior to the baleno, but the question was how much car are you getting and at what price?
I like this line of thought.
Old 10th August 2006, 15:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Except for the RS, there really is nothing exciting that has been launched in the last 2 years.
Actually, the RS is the older car here, as it was the first to have a Turbo Charged petrol engine. The benchmark has now been set.

Shan2nu
Old 10th August 2006, 19:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Actually, the RS is the older car here, as it was the first to have a Turbo Charged petrol engine. The benchmark has now been set.

Shan2nu
In short, what i am looking out for is a

A vehicle (if petrol) in the D segment: the power of the New Octavia RS(not launced in the country), feature rich, decent interiors and styling with a price bracket of 12-15L - I have not driven the Embera, but feedback from you all dont seem so good. Maybe i will wait to see what Honda does with the new Accord - pricing will be key. Camry is way out of the budget.. A top end Camry in Australia (where prices are high compared to the US) with DVD navigation system, stabilty control etc.. is around 13L with the entry level being 8L.. Do i need to say anything more?

Civic is not a D segment car, nor does it have the power or a USP that raises it above the present crop of cars in its segment. Margins for brand that i would pay is around 5% not 20+%

The benchmark for diesel is the Laura's engine - except the price bracket shifts to 18+ which is too high.. Maybe a Laura Rider at current Octavia rider price with an after-market add-ons + Pete's will make sense.
Old 11th August 2006, 11:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Baleno and Civic? What a laugh. Baleno could not even compete against OHC. And NHC is outselling it in spite of huge price difference and similar performance. On any turn my OHC would run rings around a baleno and outpace it in spite of being a smaller engine. Maybe the new wider tires have helped somewhat. The 1.6 engine is very unlike maruti, does not like to be revved. Forget about looks, interiors, space, latest tech., etc.

Civic is not too bad at all against competition in it's segment - Corolla.

If you are going to compare India prices - has no meaning unless you provide for 70% extra taxes on CBU cars and 50% on non-CBU cars.
Old 11th August 2006, 11:53   #26
Team-BHP Support

Guys, we're straying offtopic again. Lets not get into the ring with the Baleno vs the rest again.
Old 30th August 2006, 12:48   #27
BHPian

Well Nc, can we have the short testdrive report on the Embera too? It's been compared against the Accord elsewhere, but you guys have found it inferior to the Civic! Mods, please delete this comment if it's been posted somewhere else already.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks