Team-BHP - My new affair: Flash red VW Polo GT TSI
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   My new affair: Flash red VW Polo GT TSI (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/158395-my-new-affair-flash-red-vw-polo-gt-tsi.html)

In less than two weeks of owning the Polo GT TSI, I'm staring at the same grave, heart-breaking problem that many other GT TSI owners have already reported.

It's a weird problem - once I'm inside my car and have driven it for a little while, I just don’t want to get out. My heart in fact sinks after I return from a moderately spirited drive (I’m still running her in), and I have to park. Once parked, I turn back to glance at her a few times. If I notice a speck of dust, I try to blow it away as hard as I can. Is it love, infatuation, lust? Time will surely tell us.

You see, the Polo GT TSI is one of those rare breed of cars that force you to do something out of the ordinary - after a hard day at work and having braved the evening commute to return home, you still don't want to park the car and go home and watch some TV. Rather you just want to wait till the traffic thins on the road, so you can go back for a drive. I used to generally do 500-600 kms in a month (my office is 3km away from home), and with my new Polo I've already done 670kms in two weeks. That sort of explains the point.

The first day

Sunday, the 7th December 2014, about 3:45pm. More than two months after deciding that it's almost time to buy a new car - my flash red Polo GT TSI came home, (after a 50km journey from a dealer that is 12km away from my home), but more on that later. Let's first list out the important stuff.

What I love
Some minor adjustments I’m going to have to live with (happily I hope)

Other thoughts and observations

My new affair: Flash red VW Polo GT TSI-img_20141213_144543.jpg

My new affair: Flash red VW Polo GT TSI-img_20141207_131035.jpg

Hello all, it’s good to be back here after years. I see many of my old friends active and they might remember me as someone invested in the ICE forums about six years ago. But let’s go back to the beginning – I joined Team-bhp after hearing about it from RDDreams forum. Back then I rode RD350. Here’s an old post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...-oversize.html

In 2005, it was time to buy my first car and I downgraded from a RD350 to a Hyundai Santro XG. This was after actively debating buying an old Honda City (I had the need for speed, you see), and between a Zen and Santro. Here’s the thread on my Santro http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...o-xing-xg.html

Sometime around then I developed a keen interest in hi-fi and wanted good sound in my Santro. The result was a few years of active involvement with the ICE gurus. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...rds-ice-3.html

For a couple of years now, I had been thinking of replacing my old car, a Hyundai Santro XG (also my first self-bought car). But there were a few personal developments; I took a two-year executive MBA course that made a big dent in my savings, and then I quit my job to set up my own venture (started up in Jan 2014). The Santro in the meantime was running amazingly nice, but the age was showing on exteriors.

When it finally went to a new home in the first week of December (two days before Polo came home), my Santro had served me well for close to 10 years, and had just over 91,000 kms on the odo.

Selling my Santro XG
Before selling the Santro, came the rather pertinent question of which car to trade her with. Now, regardless of *when* I would go for an upgrade, I always wanted to upgrade to a much better car (and not just an incremental upgrade). Now for my decision-making process in brief pointers.
Days before buying a new Polo GT TSI
The day of the delivery

We have this old theory about how different cars are designed according to two or three different philosophies. Cars of category X are designed simply as utilitarian vehicles, whose sole purpose to exist is to transport you from point A to B, and with a little luck, safely. Category Y cars also functionally exist to transport you from A to B, but they want to do that in reasonable style, comfort and luxury. A decent performance is often an added advantage. When it comes to Z category cars, they have a different philosophy. Transportation from A to B be damned, these cars are all about pushing some buttons harder – often it is performance or luxury.

It is obvious that starting with Rs. 2 lakh for a Nano and going to Rs. 2 crore and onwards for supercars, as price point increases, the car philosophy firmly changes from X to Y and to Z. But even at existing price point barriers, sometimes we have outliers. These are category Z cars, which defy their price points and deliver something a category higher. These are cars that excite us, put wide grins on our face, because they are giving us something we would otherwise get at a much higher price point.

The Polo GT TSI is one such outlier. It’s a Z car that punches well beyond its class (the price bracket); delivering an experience that you’d otherwise expect in cars at least double the price. In doing so, the Polo GT TSI joins an illustrious league of cult automobiles that have been sold in India. Like the first-gen Honda City Vtec, the Ford Fiesta 1.6S, Skoda Octavia vRS, the Palio 1.6 (I might be missing a few others).

I also see striking similarities with the Yamaha RD350 that I once owned, one of the most cult motorcycles of our previous generation. Both feature cutting-edge technologies at their time; and the TSI and DSG are two gems that make Polo GT TSI an outstanding value even at Rs. 9L+ on road. It’s a car we’ll talk a lot about years down the line.

On the DSG gearbox
I know that many driving enthusiasts amongst us diss the automatic transmissions, stating their preference for an old-school manual instead. Their core argument is that a manual is far more engaging, more fun, and requires more skill. I’d concede these points. But, the rub of the matter is that a good automatic is much, much faster, giving you upshifts and downshifts in milliseconds :)

I guess some part of manual preference is also misplaced snobbery or nostalgia about the old-school technologies; I still have friends who swear by their record players and turn a blind eye (and ear, regrettably) to the fact that the world has moved to the age of studio master FLACs and media streamers/network players.

My parents still wistfully reminisce their old semi-automatic washing machine, even though they grudgingly accept that the new frontloading automatic is not just far more convenient, it also cleans clothes better. I personally reminisce the kick start on my bike; all modern bikes come with push button start. Ah, our love for ancient technologies, never mind they are inferior to the modern ones!

Anyway, back to the manual vs automatic transmission. Most of us like to push our cars faster, and a manual can only go as far as laws of human biology and neuron-motor physics allow. See, right from the stone age, whenever there has been a fair contest between man and (a well-engineered) machine, the machine always won. Eliminating the manual clutch operation through an automatic is such an obvious operational optimization that minimizes the seconds (or even fractions) that humans need to depress a clutch lever, move the gear lever and then release the clutch. But automatics too come in different avatars, and what many of us are familiar with are CVTs, whose notorious rubber band effect is perhaps the big reason many continue to stay skeptical of all automatic trannys. The DSG gearbox? Well, it’s a revelation.

This dual shift gearbox is an eye-opener on how far automatic transmission technology has come today (as an aside, Porsche’s PDK is a DSG technology). The best part with a DSG is that there’s virtually zero disruption in the flow of power – gear shifts happen in milliseconds without you having to move your foot on the accelerator even by a millimeter.

For a brief while during my GT TSI test drive I engaged the S mode, and the car would just fly from one end of the road to the other. The gears would upshift with me fully stomping the accelerator down – rev loss was minimum and my back kept pinned to the seat.

Remember, this was in automatic S mode. For even better control, I could have used tiptronic, which would give me manual control over upshifts and downshifts without bothering me with a clutch lever. No sir, a manual transmission can’t even come close to a good automatic in outright performance, especially when engaged in a tiptronic mode. If you want an outright fast car or you intend to test and claim truly optimal 0-100 times, please don’t insist on an old-school manual transmission.

Now, like everybody else, I too am reasonably bothered about the reliability of the DSG gearbox. But I am happy taking a bet on Volkswagen’s seriousness, and then I am hedging my bet with an extended warranty.

There is one more critical thing all owners with DSG boxes (and potential owners) need to consider. Cars with DSG gearbox aren’t meant to be towed (don’t ask me why, but it’s a big ass warning from VW in the owner’s manual). Plus, you can’t take your key out from the car until the DSG box is engaged in P mode.

What it means is this: gone are the days when I could double park my car in ‘neutral’ and ask the parking guy to just ‘push’ it if needed. The Polo GT TSI is no pushover. You gotta treat her royally. So it also means that I can’t leave her in any situation (wrong parking?) where some ignorant cop decides to tow her. If the car indeed has a breakdown, the DSG box demands it be lifted aboard a moving trailer/crane; the types that transport our luxury sedans when they’re broken.

A little more to say
How I drive

In conclusion
Sometimes there are decisions whose outcome may spread out over years, but still you’re reasonably assured of how they are going to affect you right after you take them. Buying a Polo GT TSI is one such decision – I know for a fact that I am going to be a very happy person as long as the GT TSI stays with me (hopefully in great shape). I’m very happy with the car so far, and I believe the feeling will only grow as time elapses, as I drive her on highways more and finally, as she finally completes her running-in period.

Now as credits are set to roll, it’s time to say a big thanks to all you wonderful people who make Team-BHP the absolute fantastic place for all petrolheads (like myself). I can’t emphasize enough the advantage of having read the two posts (How to sell your used car and How to buy a new car). The entire VW Polo GT TSI official review thread has been immensely helpful. And last but not the least, I am happy to be part of the thriving community of GT TSI owners. May our tribe grow!

If any of you have any questions, I’d advise you to please PM me (I’ll get an email notifying me). The reason is that I have a hectic work life and may not be regular at Team-BHP (despite my best intentions). However, rest assured, I will be here as often as I can – to participate and contribute to the community. Thank you all for reading my early review thread!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your great little car. Polo is the best drivers' car in hatchback segment in the market. This engine and gearbox is a deadly combination. Wish many many happy miles to you and your car.

P.S. Do run in your car for atleast 1500Kms instead of 1000kms as you've mentioned. I know it's hard to resist yourself for that long but I think it will reap benefits in future.

Great review Greenhorn, clearly the TSI is for the aficionado; one who cares two hoots about 'kitna deti hai', I guess so much so that some souls are even snapping up TD cars!!! (as you mentioned somewhere in your review) I guess one should track that hopefully fortunate owner down and check how has the DSG held on an erstwhile TD car :)

Jokes apart, wishing you a great time in munching miles!

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenh0rn (Post 3597307)

In less than two weeks of owning the Polo GT TSI, I'm staring at the same grave, heart-breaking problem that many other GT TSI owners have already reported.

Congrats greenh0rn on your latest acquisition and welcome board the GT Club !! clap:

Whether its a TSI or TDI, GT badge is enough to make the other drivers on the road realize that this Polo is a SPECIAL CAR !!

Like the old Onida ad, "Neighbors envy, Owners Pride..". Your GT deserves a lot more show off bro and you can probably start off by posting a lot more photos :).

Wish you many happy miles and drive safe.

Hey greenh0rn, very well written ownership review. Congratulation for owning one of the best hatchbacks :-).
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenh0rn (Post 3597307)

When I read the above line, I got a shock(may be a DSG problem, may be engine rattle problem, may be light steering, etc) :)

Enjoy the drive.

A review from the heart for sure, greenh0rn. I was looking forward to it.

BTW I will be joining the tribe soon.

Congratulations.

Congrats and nice review.

I thought you used to have an Indica? Did you sell it off too?

That was some K*****s write up!!! You nailed it in the first line itself :) A bIG congratulations and thank you from someone how has recently booked GT TSI in flash red color

Congrats! GT TSi is truly a masterpiece. Will soon book mine although it might be the GT TDi :)

What Fuel efficiency are you getting?

Thank you all! :-)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carpainter (Post 3607528)
P.S. Do run in your car for atleast 1500Kms instead of 1000kms as you've mentioned.

Yes that's the plan, but after 1,000 I'll slowly start opening her up. Even now I've had a few 5k, pedal to the metal runs..trust me it's very very hard to resist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hothatchaway (Post 3607566)
...some souls are even snapping up TD cars!!

absolutely, and I believe it's not a one-off case. My hunch is that once you have TD'd a GT TSI (with the intention of buying), you can't in the end resist buying one. It's a slippery slope.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vik0728 (Post 3607575)
Your GT deserves a lot more show off bro and you can probably start off by posting a lot more photos :)

Thanks, hope to post some more (and better) pics after this weekend!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LithiumSunset (Post 3607608)
BTW I will be joining the tribe soon.

Trust me, this will surely rank as one of the best personal decisions of your life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCEite (Post 3607643)
I thought you used to have an Indica? Did you sell it off too?

No man, Hyundai was my only car until now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean (Post 3607717)
What Fuel efficiency are you getting?

The MID shows an overall average of 13.4kmpl for now, and on trips I've got anywhere from 11 to 18.1kmpl as per MID (I run 205/55 tyres).

I'm still debating a change in tires. Did you find the oem's that inadequate? Any repercussions on the warranty? I thought I read somewhere that VW is a bit finicky about change in the spec of the rubber.

One thing I missed out mentioning, and one that I'm going to miss sorely is the absence of launch control in this 7-speed DSG gearbox. The reason is it's dry clutch gearbox - better for environment, better technology, but no good for cheap thrills.

On another note, I just did a 4km drive in 40 minutes (thanks, but no thanks, Delhi traffic :Frustrati). Didn't even want to look at average speed display. Experiences like this in Delhi traffic anger me and make me want to chuck everything and retire and live with my car in the peaceful, serene and calmer environs of JP Sports city, where both Agra and BIC are a short run away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LithiumSunset (Post 3607760)
Did you find the oem's that inadequate? Any repercussions on the warranty? I thought I read somewhere that VW is a bit finicky about change in the spec of the rubber.

For the first few days when I was cradling her the OEM seemed fine, but a couple of hard cornering made me feel that 185 tyres are inadequate for grip at moderately higher speeds. I'd advise you to do some hard corners with stock tyres (keep tyre mileage low) and if you're unhappy, then upgrade. Who knows OEM ones might feel adequate to you.