Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2015, 13:15   #136
Senior - BHPian

Right now I am at the DSK Toyota workshop. SA confirmed that the mud flap was not in place when I left the car for service on 31 st Jan. He has now ordered the height adjustment knob. I just cannot replace one mud flap and will have to go for a set of 4. This set of 4 is plain simple one costing Rs 1000/- . Don't want to change right now as I had fitted the existing ones not even a month ago.

Another thing I inquired was about the key. I have been told that a car comes with 3 keys, two with remote opening/closing and the third is a plain simple key but with immobilizer. Now the good thing is that plain key can be used to open the car and start it. That means it can be used as a regular key, albeit without remote opening. Now the icing on the cake is that this key costs around 2K only against the 13.5K for the key with remote. However the sad part is I can order it only after the car is transferred on my name and I produce the RC smart card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hello Friends, yesterday evening I received a call from DSK Toyota informing me that the part I had ordered (driver seat height adjustment knob) has arrived and they asked me when I would like to fix an appointment to get it fitted. I told that I can come on Monday (i.e. today) @ 11:30am.
Guys the driver seat height adjustment knob has been fitted in place. Damage to the pocket Rs 150/-. Got the job done in 15 minutes flat. Was served water and tea while I was waiting at the Service Advisor's desk. Below are two pictures.

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-seat-height-adjuster-knob1.jpg

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-seat-height-adjuster-knob2.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 10th February 2015 at 12:27. Reason: Merged on request
Old 9th February 2015, 13:40   #137
BANNED

Quote:

Guys the driver seat height adjustment knob has been fitted in place. Damage to the pocket Rs 150/-.
Great! So now you can find an even better seating position for a better and comfortable drive. Hope no one fiddles with the knob else finding the 'right' position again is a pain!

Any solution for the mud flaps? Can you post a clear picture of the mud flap on the car?
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 14:14   #138
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Great! So now you can find an even better seating position for a better and comfortable drive. Hope no one fiddles with the knob else finding the 'right' position again is a pain!
I have got that perfect position now. I have adjusted it to the maximum height possible (I am 5,10"). Now I get a commanding view of the road ahead. Most importantly both the thighs rest on the seat and I don't have to lift them up while pressing any of the "ABC" pedals. This makes it so relaxing to drive. Attached below if the picture of the invoice.

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-seat-height-adjuster-knob-invoice.jpg

Quote:
Any solution for the mud flaps? Can you post a clear picture of the mud flap on the car?
As of now no solution. May be I will have to hunt in the used part shops, else shelve out Rs 1000/- to get a new set of four. I can live with the current situation at least till the onset of monsoons. Hope to get a solution by then. Here is the picture of the RHS front mud flap, when it was fitted new. Will try to take a picture now, with the screws in position and no signs of any breakage.

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-rhs-front-wheel-mudflap-interior-shot.jpg

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-rhs-front-wheel-mudflap-exterior-shot.jpg
Old 10th February 2015, 11:19   #139
Senior - BHPian

Today morning fitted the 90/100W lamps along with relay and wiring harness. Pictures below:

Electrician removing the existing lamps
Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-electrician-removing-existing-lamps.jpg

Electrician fitting the new Halonix 90-100W lamps

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-electrician-fitting-new-halonix-90100w-lamps.jpg

The new wiring harness with ceramic holders and relay
Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-new-wiring-harness-ceramic-holders-relay.jpg

Cost details below:

90/100W lamps fitting along with relay and wiring harness @ 56 K km - Satish Auto (TVS Lucas), Chinchwad 1370.00
Fitting charges 150.00
Total - Labour Charges 150.00
Relay and wiring harness with ceramic holders (SUPER make) 910.00
Halonix lamps (90/100W) 2 nos @ Rs 155/- each 310.00
Total - Part Charges 1,220.00

Will try to share the observation in illumination during my return trip from office to home tonight.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 23:19   #140
BHPian

Quote:
I have got that perfect position now. I have adjusted it to the maximum height possible (I am 5,10"). Now I get a commanding view of the road ahead. Most importantly both the thighs rest on the seat and I don't have to lift them up while pressing any of the "ABC" pedals. This makes it so relaxing to drive.
Hi AutoIndian even I used to follow the same position (maximum height possible, I am 5'8") till I encountered a unique problem. Initially because of the commanding view of the road you forget everything else and conclude that it's the best position.

The problem I encountered was severe pain in the groins (especially the left groin), and I was not able to rest my left hand on the armrest. This you will encounter or notice only on long drives. Short city drives you won't notice it.

So I started fiddling with various positions. Then I got this magical position. I call it the best position for long drives. You adjust the seats to the lowest position and farthest from the pedals (farthest with respect to reaching them, you should be able to depress the clutch fully), recline you seat to around 120 degrees and lastly lower the steering wheel completely.

After you have tried this position on highways for some time you tell me your opinion.

My observations (advantages and disadvantages) with respect to the above position are:

1. Most relaxed driving position.

2. Under thigh support is best with this position.

3. No pain in the groin or ankle (your feet and hips are at an obtuse angle and heel freely resting).

4. Only position when the driver side armrest is useful for short people like me.

5. Only mild drawback is less than commanding feeling.

Regards.
mroptimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 11:34   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Then I got this magical position. I call it the best position for long drives. You adjust the seats to the lowest position and farthest from the pedals (farthest with respect to reaching them, you should be able to depress the clutch fully), recline you seat to around 120 degrees and lastly lower the steering wheel completely.
Thank you mroptimist for sharing this magical position . I will definitely give it a try during my upcoming long drive. I was wondering if ever I would be able to use the tilt steering to it lowest position. Now I can imagine its use. Whatever position you use, Innova is so much relaxing to drive on the highways and equally in dense traffic in cities.
Old 19th February 2015, 03:36   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Today morning fitted the 90/100W lamps along with relay and wiring harness. Pictures below:

Electrician removing the existing lamps
Attachment 1338481

Electrician fitting the new Halonix 90-100W lamps
Attachment 1338482

The new wiring harness with ceramic holders and relay
Attachment 1338483

Cost details below:

90/100W lamps fitting along with relay and wiring harness @ 56 K km - Satish Auto (TVS Lucas), Chinchwad 1370.00
Fitting charges 150.00
Total - Labour Charges 150.00
Relay and wiring harness with ceramic holders (SUPER make) 910.00
Halonix lamps (90/100W) 2 nos @ Rs 155/- each 310.00
Total - Part Charges 1,220.00

Will try to share the observation in illumination during my return trip from office to home tonight.
Hi Deepak, It's been long that I did not go through your post as I have come to US and it's been a busy couple of weeks.
Anyways, were you able to fix the singular mud flap? If no then, I have my older ones still available. I am not sure which of them is missing, but the remainder are in good/somewhat good condition. PM me if needed and the missing location, accordingly I will inform my family and check out what is available.

Meanwhile can you share your experience on the new set of lamps you fitted. I too am looking to upgrade my Innova's bulb once I return. I also am looking into the US market of what is available for good bright lights. I know it would be expensive as compared to India but there are hell lot of options available here.

Looking at the pics, I remember this tall electrician as I too had been to Lucas for Fog lamp issue.

Last edited by SHAHBAAZ : 19th February 2015 at 03:40.
Old 19th February 2015, 10:42   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAHBAAZ View Post
Hi Deepak, It's been long that I did not go through your post as I have come to US and it's been a busy couple of weeks.
Hmmn, I was wondering why you have been so dormant all this while, now I know the reason. Anyways, enjoy your US trip. When are you going to be back? We still need to catch up with each other. its been a long while.

Quote:
Anyways, were you able to fix the singular mud flap? If no then, I have my older ones still available. I am not sure which of them is missing, but the remainder are in good/somewhat good condition. PM me if needed and the missing location, accordingly I will inform my family and check out what is available.
I am still running on 3 mud flaps. The RHS front one is still missing. Let me know if you have that one with you. I can visit you once you are back.

Quote:
Meanwhile can you share your experience on the new set of lamps you fitted. I too am looking to upgrade my Innova's bulb once I return. I also am looking into the US market of what is available for good bright lights. I know it would be expensive as compared to India but there are hell lot of options available here.
The new set of lamps have made a remarkable difference. I haven't tried it on long highway drives at night, but during my daily return trips from office at night, I can make out the better illumination. The new wiring harness that I have fitted (SUPER make) comes with ceramic holders so minimal risk of holders melting due to higher wattage. For the 90/100 W bulbs I had two options Halonix (costing Rs 155/- a piece) and Philips (costing Rs 300/-). When I as told that both the lamps have same illumination and similar life, I went with the Halonix ones, so that even if they fuse at some point in time, replacing them wouldn't burn a big hole in pocket. I think this set-up is quite reasonable compared to the Philips Extreme Vision or Osram Night Breakers, which cost northward of 1000/-

Quote:
Looking at the pics, I remember this tall electrician as I too had been to Lucas for Fog lamp issue.
His name is Taufiq. He is a good fellow, does neat work. He has been attending to my Indica earlier for any electrical work. There is another tall guy, Sandip, who does the fuel pump, injectors work.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 02:35   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmn, I was wondering why you have been so dormant all this while, now I know the reason. Anyways, enjoy your US trip. When are you going to be back? We still need to catch up with each other. its been a long while.

I am still running on 3 mud flaps. The RHS front one is still missing. Let me know if you have that one with you. I can visit you once you are back.

The new set of lamps have made a remarkable difference. I haven't tried it on long highway drives at night, but during my daily return trips from office at night, I can make out the better illumination. The new wiring harness that I have fitted (SUPER make) comes with ceramic holders so minimal risk of holders melting due to higher wattage. For the 90/100 W bulbs I had two options Halonix (costing Rs 155/- a piece) and Philips (costing Rs 300/-). When I as told that both the lamps have same illumination and similar life, I went with the Halonix ones, so that even if they fuse at some point in time, replacing them wouldn't burn a big hole in pocket. I think this set-up is quite reasonable compared to the Philips Extreme Vision or Osram Night Breakers, which cost northward of 1000/-

His name is Taufiq. He is a good fellow, does neat work. He has been attending to my Indica earlier for any electrical work. There is another tall guy, Sandip, who does the fuel pump, injectors work.
I am returning in last week of April or mid of May. Its long time for me to come back. Give me sometime and I will check with my family.
The bulbs cost less. I remember my Palio H1 and H7 costs around rs.2000 combined as they are two pieces a side.

How did I forget his name. Well there is one senior mechanic named Aly who is working there since last 16-18 years. Before the advent of these service dealer thing, we had all our previous cars from family (Amby, Fiat, Contessa, Tata Estate, my Dodge, 800, and so on) visiting this center and Aly took care of them.

Anyways I will inform you. Meanwhile enjoy the drives.
SHAHBAAZ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 17:26   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will need two now. The bad news is that even the LHS front side mud flap has vanished from its place . Today morning I saw a small piece of black plastic under the screw instead of the whole mud flap. I think some of the nasty speedbreakers have taken a toll of both my front mudflaps. The rear ones are quite above the ground, hence have been saved till now, but the front ones were dangling dangerously low and have to pay the price. I think I will now go for the rubber mud flaps for the front wheels.
Old 20th February 2015, 17:30   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will need two now. --------
Make sure that the flaps are not too close to the wheel. The wheels would then trap them by 'stepping over' them while reversing the car, then the mud flaps would have no other option than to give up.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 18:43   #147
BANNED

Quote:
I will need two now. The bad news is that even the LHS front side mud flap has vanished from its place
OMG! You seem to unlucky with these mud flaps.

Didn't you hear any noise like scratching/cracking when you were driving?

Since the season of rains has time to come, remove the mud flaps and drive around. Get the rubber ones and fix them before the onset of rains.

No point in fixing and loosing business!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 19:04   #148
BHPian

Quote:
I will need two now. The bad news is that even the LHS front side mud flap has vanished from its place . Today morning I saw a small piece of black plastic under the screw instead of the whole mud flap. I think some of the nasty speedbreakers have taken a toll of both my front mudflaps. The rear ones are quite above the ground, hence have been saved till now, but the front ones were dangling dangerously low and have to pay the price. I think I will now go for the rubber mud flaps for the front wheels.
I doubt if I have two fronts intact. But as it's funny how can the mudflaps of innova scrape. As informed previously, I have fitted a type-2 from the accesory shop of the dealer. Hence scraping is not an issue.
SHAHBAAZ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 20:09   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Make sure that the flaps are not too close to the wheel. The wheels would then trap them by 'stepping over' them while reversing the car, then the mud flaps would have no other option than to give up.
The mud flaps were not very close to the wheel, but as I mentioned earlier they were precariously dangling down and one of the giant speedbreakers might have gobbled them up. They being made of fibre/ plastic didn't have the capablity to flex and have sheared off at the place where they were screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
OMG! You seem to unlucky with these mud flaps.

Didn't you hear any noise like scratching/cracking when you were driving?

Since the season of rains has time to come, remove the mud flaps and drive around. Get the rubber ones and fix them before the onset of rains.

No point in fixing and loosing business!
Indeed, very unlucky and my fear has come true. The plastic (unflexible) mud flaps have given way without the slightest hint. I did not hear any kind of sound when they parted ways. Yes I will try to source the rubber ones. If I get hold of smaller plastic ones they I may go for that. The flexible mud flaps on my Indica held on for 10.5 long years and these ones didn't even last for a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAHBAAZ View Post
I doubt if I have two fronts intact. But as it's funny how can the mudflaps of innova scrape. As informed previously, I have fitted a type-2 from the accesory shop of the dealer. Hence scraping is not an issue.
I had the fear that these would break loose one day or the other, this would happen so early, I had not imagined. Anyways I will hunt for flexible or smaller ones.
Old 20th February 2015, 20:24   #150
BANNED

Quote:
They being made of fibre/ plastic didn't have the capablity to flex and have sheared off at the place where they were screwed.
Look at the picture which you posted a few posts back:

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-rhs-front-wheel-mudflap-exterior-shot.jpg

This itself speaks the height of the mud flap that it will be at and the effects of that low-ness on a hump/pothole.

Quote:
If I get hold of smaller plastic ones they I may go for that.
The smaller ones are only for show rather than purpose they are built for. Just like the ones on the Swift as I feel.

Look at the picture below:

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-20131220_135236.jpg

It there just for show IMO. Water splashes happily till the door handles if driven at moderate speeds. Though it has never hit any hump/speed breaker in the 1.2 years of usage. I may be wrong but they are slightly small than what I expected.

Quote:
The flexible mud flaps on my Indica held on for 10.5 long years and these ones didn't even last for a month.
Indica was driven like a small car and the Innova is the king of the road so may be you mis-judged the hump/pothole. Just kidding..

The way the Indica behaves versus the Innova on the road is quiet different (ready body pitching, roll etc).
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed