Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2015, 17:10   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
Dear Innova lovers,
I am a bit curious to know about the vehicle insurance schemes, all you have taken.
Let me tell you about my plan. I have taken the dealer provided insurance, Toyota protect insurance policy for all the previous years.(2012 registration)
Though it is expensive, about 44K, I continued with it as the car was new.Just thinking now to shift to other schemes which are very much cheaper.
Any feedbacks,
bbhavan.
Dear AutoIndian, I am taking liberty to discuss this in your thread, Hope you don't object,
Hello bbhavan, no worries mate. You have the full freedom of discussing anything and everything related to the Innova on this thread. I should rather thank you for bringing this topic on my ownership thread.

I have got my car (and along with it the insurance policy in legacy) from my previous owner. So I have continued with the same policy. Mine is a 2009, Innova V model and the details of the Bajaj Allianz policy, which I renewed online in Feb-2015 are mentioned below.

For an IDV of 5.5 lacs, I paid a premium of 15K, with a NCB of 25%.

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-insurance-innovabajaj-allianz-15k.jpg

By the way, what is your IDV and NCB? Have you opted for Zero depreciation policy?

Last edited by AutoIndian : 18th August 2015 at 17:13.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 18:45   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hello bbhavan, no worries mate.
By the way, what is your IDV and NCB? Have you opted for Zero depreciation policy?
Thanks for your reassuring words and prompt reply with details.
My IDV is 10.1L and NCB is nil.

The details are attached here. The plan name is "Toyota Protect" , issued by the dealer.

I think I am being short changed with this plan.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cp.pdf (275.2 KB, 451 views)

Last edited by bbhavan : 18th August 2015 at 18:48. Reason: addition
bbhavan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 09:59   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reassuring words and prompt reply with details.

The details are attached here. The plan name is "Toyota Protect" , issued by the dealer.

I have gone through your policy details. Have a couple of questions:
  1. Did you claim insurance last year for the NCB to be nil?
  2. The basic premium should be around 2.42% of IDV, which comes to 24.4K. In your case it is 27.8K, i.e. 2.76% of your IDV.
  3. AddON = 6.7K, what is that for?
If not for the points# 2 and 3 above you could have easily saved 10K on your premium.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 11:00   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
  2. The basic premium should be around 2.42% of IDV, which comes to 24.4K. In your case it is 27.8K, i.e. 2.76% of your IDV.
If not for the points# 2 and 3 above you could have easily saved 10K on your premium.
The Toyota Protect is definitely expensive compared to others.
However, there are subtle differences you should know. I am also attaching the advantage sheets for your information.

1. Add-On is the 0 Depreciation Cover. The cover premium increases as the car ages. That is standard. TP provides this upto 5 years.
AutoIndian, your car is out of years for this.

2. Absolutely hassle-free workshop/settlement facilities at Toyota Dealerships, just drop, fill a form and collect your car at end of work. No questions asked. All as per my personal experience with it.

3. What it gives by default, what no other insurance gives
a) Consumables coverage - It is not covered in 0 Dep policies ever. It becomes substantial amount if you do face any such situation. That is why the .3% more premium. Even after 5 years when there is no 0 Dep available, this honors the depreciation % and charges accordingly.
b) Supposedly, honors the IDV value in case of theft unlike others (speculative).
c) No salvage deduction
d) Electrical parts coverage (speculative).
e) Unlimited number of claims in an year, unlike limit of 2 under 0 Dep policies of others.

So you will definitely feel it is costly. But, if any such situation does arrive, it is immensely useful. Even if you have one incident where they need to separate something significant, body and chassis or likes, you are in for a hefty consumable amount. But then there is BIG BUT...
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-toyota-protect-toyota-cover-1.jpg  

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-toyota-protect-toyota-cover-2.jpg  

Last edited by parsh : 19th August 2015 at 11:02.
parsh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 18:52   #275
BHPian

Quote:
I have availed one claim in the last year,so NCB is nil. The process was very simple. The total cost of repair was about 14000 for a back door replacement caused by a rear ended truck. I paid only Rs,2000 as per this policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
The Toyota Protect is definitely expensive compared to others.
But then there is BIG BUT...
Thanks for your detailed info about the scheme.
There is a diff. of about 17,000 between this scheme and a normal zero dep. scheme by standard insurers. Considerable difference , I must say.
bbhavan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 18:59   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a diff. of about 17,000 between this scheme and a normal zero dep. scheme by standard insurers. Considerable difference , I must say.
Yes, there is hefty difference. But not sure it would be as high as 17k on 0 Dep basis, because, base OD Premium rate generally is higher by .3-.4 %, guess you must have checked.

Also, you should haggle with dealership quoting other quotes, when getting it and extort additional discount coupons from them like Wheel balancing, complete interior/exterior cleaning/detailing etc
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 19:02   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have availed one claim in the last year,so NCB is nil. The process was very simple. The total cost of repair was about 14000 for a back door replacement caused by a rear ended truck. I paid only Rs,2000 as per this policy.
That makes it clear now, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Yes, that is the price one has to pay for complete peace of mind. Nothing at Toyota comes cheap
Old 19th August 2015, 19:25   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Yes, there is hefty difference. But not sure it would be as high as 17k on 0 Dep basis, because, base OD Premium rate generally is higher by .3-.4 %, guess you must have checked.

Also, you should haggle with dealership quoting other quotes, when getting it and extort additional discount coupons from them like Wheel balancing, complete interior/exterior cleaning/detailing etc
point noted. I haven't approached other agencies till now, but checked the premium amounts on-line and found such a difference.
Old 19th August 2015, 19:50   #279
Senior - BHPian

Friends, off late I have started experiencing minor pain in my left toe, the one which is used to operate the clutch pedal. My daily drive to office is close to 30kms (one way). Since I pass through the city, I have to do frequent gear changes. I have a habit of pressing the clutch pedal all the way down till it touches the floor. While walking I can experience minor pain, when I carry my body weight on left toe. I know Innova clutch is on the heavier side compared to hatches and sedans. Kindly suggest what can be done to reduce the pain. Should I modify my driving style, drive in a very relaxed manner? Can the clutch be made bit more light?

Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 19th August 2015, 20:09   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Kindly suggest what can be done to reduce the pain. Should I modify my driving style, drive in a very relaxed manner? Can the clutch be made bit more light?

Any suggestions are welcome.
I would pick up a shoe that has a flat sole that is not easily flexible like floaters or slippers. Usually when you operate the clutch, it is best to make use of the foot rather than rely on your toe to apply pressure. This can happen only when you are wearing a proper set of footwear.

I have always noticed that whenever I drive with floaters, even my right foot toe pains as the toe does all the job of pressing the throttle and holding it at one position whenever cruising on the highway. I switched back to typical running/Sports shoes and felt much better.

So in a nutshell, try changing footwear and check if you manage to reduce the affect.

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th August 2015 at 08:13. Reason: As requested.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 10:07   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I would pick up a shoe that has a flat sole that is not easily flexible like floaters or slippers. Usually when you operate the clutch, it is best to make use of the foot rather than rely on your toe to apply pressure. This can happen only when you are wearing a proper set of footwear.
Thank you Parag for pitching in. I agree, wearing the right footwear makes a lot of difference. For my daily office runs I wear sport shoes. Sometimes I put on the leather shoes, which has a tough sole. Leather shoes protect the toes better than the sport shoes, however they don't flex much, hence I prefer wearing the sport shoes. Well applying pressure by the foot (I mean the heel) rather than toe will be a challenge, I have never learnt driving that way.

Quote:
I have always noticed that whenever I drive with floaters, even my right foot toe pains as the toe does all the job of pressing the throttle and holding it at one position whenever cruising on the highway. I switched back to typical running/Sports shoes and felt much better.

So in a nutshell, try changing footwear and check if you manage to reduce the affect.
Let me try with different foot wear and different positions of the foot. I will also try to adopt a very relaxing driving style, not that I am too aggressive now, but I guess being gentle on the clutch pedal I will be able to exert only that much pressure, which is required to change the gear smoothly. At times I feel I am exerting too much pressure and digging the clutch pedal too deep in the foot well.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 11:18   #282
Senior - BHPian

Right now I am at DSK Toyota workshop in Bavdhan. Yesterday I followed up with them for the duplicate key order and they informed me that I can come today to get the new key registration done. Hence reached here @10:30am. Handed over the car. It may take 2 hours for the key registration to get completed. It seems they will put a new code into existing key and new key chip. This will ensure that the current set of two lost keys code will become defunct and those keys won't be of use any longer.

Hope to get the car back by 1pm and expecting that both the keys would work flawlessly.

Total damage to the pocket Rs 2600/- approx. Transmitter/ Transponder is for Rs 1832/-, another Rs 420/- towards labor charges and the balance service tax and VAT. Will post the actual invoice once I receive it.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 21st August 2015 at 11:22.
Old 21st August 2015, 14:13   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope to get the car back by 1pm and expecting that both the keys would work flawlessly.
When I had started my day today, I had least expected that I would get the biggest shock of my life . The whole story unfolded like this.

After I gave my car and key for the duplicate key registration I was waiting in the customer lounge, watching TV and observing the cars being serviced through the looking glass. After about half an hour my service adviser came to me and called me at his desk. He said that my current key is not the original key and even the chassis number of my car in their system is a different one. I asked him how this is possible. I showed him my RC card and tried to match the chassis number in their system, they were indeed different. Now came the big blow. The car had gone under major accidental damage repair in 2010 and the whole chassis was replaced. The repair expenses were to the tune of Rs 5.69 lacs. The car was then re-registered with the new chassis number (the registration number however remained the same). The major parts that were replaced were as below:
  • Chassis
  • Lock setup
  • Engine Mounting
  • Radiator
  • Air Duct
  • Bumper
  • Side fender
  • Front windshield
  • Top roof
  • RHS door hinges
  • Both front headlamps
  • Both fog lamps
  • Tail lamp RHS
  • AC Condenser
As a result of the above the Lock set-up, engine immobilizer, ignition lock all were replaced and the previous owner was given a set of 3 keys. One of the key had a steel strip with 4 digit number code engraved on it. This code is required for registration of the duplicate key. My previous owner did not give me this number, neither the other two spare keys. I tried reaching him today, but his mobile was coming switched off, will try again tomorrow and see if I can get that 4 digit code.

If I don't get that code then the other option is to change the complete set of Lock set-up, engine immobilizer, ignition lock, which would cost a whopping 35K. The key blank that was ordered for my duplicate key would be a waste and it would be charged to the Service Adviser as he had ordered for it (around Rs 1100/-). I informed him that he need not bear the expenses and should cut an invoice for that amount on my name and I would clear the bill. The Rs 1000/- paid by me as advance for duplicate key will be adjusted in the next servicing.

I am planning to visit the home of previous owner of my car tomorrow. Please suggest what should be my stand. One good thing is that the car has absolutely no traces of such major accidental repairs and it is performing flawlessly now, but then you never know. After the right side door hinges replacement and two bearings replacements there are no unwanted noises from the car.

Am I repenting on my decision to go for a pre-worshipped car, no, because it is a very good car at a very reasonable price. But am I feeling cheated and loss of trust, it is a big yes. The only reason for not opting a car sold by an agent (after a 10 month long hunt) was that a faulty/ defective or accident involved car should not land in my garage. And going for an individual seller (that too a well reputed family) has landed me exactly in the same situation in which I didn't want to be in the first place. Destiny has its own way.

I have decided not to let my family know about this. I am disclosing this only to my close friends. I will enjoy this car till the time new Innova or equally competent car gets launched and will trade this for a new one.
AutoIndian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 14:22   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I had started my day today, I had least expected that I would get the biggest shock of my life . The whole story unfolded like this.

I am planning to visit the home of previous owner of my car tomorrow. Please suggest what should be my stand. One good thing is that the car has absolutely no traces of such major accidental repairs and it is performing flawlessly now, but then you never know. After the right side door hinges replacement and two bearings replacements there are no unwanted noises from the car.

Am I repenting on my decision to go for a pre-worshipped car, no, because it is a very good car at a very reasonable price. But am I feeling cheated and loss of trust, it is a big yes. The only reason for not opting a car sold by an agent (after a 10 month long hunt) was that a faulty/ defective or accident involved car should not land in my garage. And going for an individual seller (that too a well reputed family) has landed me exactly in the same situation in which I didn't want to be in the first place. Destiny has its own way.

I have decided not to let my family know about this. I am disclosing this only to my close friends. I will enjoy this car till the time new Innova or equally competent car gets launched and will trade this for a new one.
I feel pained at your experience. Technically the previous owner has committed fraud by not letting you know about the car's accident and subsequent repairs. I am sure you had asked him if the car had met with any accident before buying it.
Please remember before buying any second hand vehicle, is to take its engine number and chassis number, and visit the nearest authorized workshop to check about the car's history. From the online details you would have come to know about what exactly happened to the car. Also running the car's registration number and chassis number past the RTO is a good idea to scan for potential stolen cars.

For now you can meet the owner if you so wish, but don't expect any positive outcome by accusing him about his hiding of the accident.

Not to add to your worries, but I would advice you to sell of this car as soon as you can. With such major damages listed by you, the entire chassis replaced, can we be sure that the crumple zones, impact protection beams etc are intact? Can we be assured that the repair is done correctly and not a cut and paste job, which on the next impact will result in a totally broken car?
Cars which have such major damage are listed as class C/D write offs in the UK, meaning that such cars are not road legal and there is no safety assured even if such cars are repaired fully. Its only in India that such cars are repaired, and resold to the unsuspecting buyer, resulting in a time bomb kind of a deathtrap.
Are you sure about which chassis number is there in your R/C book? is it the new chassis number or the old chassis number? Also what is the chassis number in your transfer form (Form 15 i think)? If both R/C book and the transfer form contain the old chassis number you can drag the previous owner to court and jail for fraud.

Last edited by apachelongbow : 21st August 2015 at 14:29.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 14:27   #285
BHPian

Well, this is really shocking! This is the risk associated with pre-owned cars. But as you said, the chassis had been replaced and I doubt whether the structural integrity would have taken a hit. It is a good idea not to let your family members know about this as this will make them feel sad and cheated. Nothing can be done now, you have the car with you and nothing is going to change. You must visit the previous owner and talk to him about this. But keep your cool and act wisely. The 'only' wrong deed of the previous owner was that he didn't tell you about the accident. Not taking his side, but I am saying that act wisely instead of getting enraged as nothing major can be changed now.

Nice to know that it is performing well though. I am a silent reader of this thread since the beginning.

Sorry, but out of curiousity, I wanted to know how exactly did you get the info about the accident.
vin11 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed