Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2014, 10:45   #31
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post

Thank you JoseVijay for your wishes. As I mentioned earlier the modifications/ accessories costed me around 40K and the new set of 4 tyres 20K. For the benefit of all members I am giving below the break-up of total cost.
That is some serious and well spent amount on the car. Just fit your well planned budget.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 11:05   #32
BANNED

Quote:
The earlier owner had laid down two sets of mats, one black rubber make and the other biege palstic (translucent type). I have removed the plastic mats altogether and put the black rubber mats on top of the lamination. Will use this combination for couple of months to see how it holds.
I did the same to my Swift interiors, you can check it in my Swift thread.

I admit that it is the biggest mistake that it was done in my car and I am suffering as I am now facing issues with the floor lamination vis-a-vis the Star 3D mats which keeps moving here and there. On braking it goes in the front, on acceleration it moves back and with leg movement it goes sideways.

Thinking how to solve this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
The floor lamination makes the floor very slippery. My friend who did the same had to use some rubber mats to get them to stay in one piece. Even I am curious to know how OP resolved this.

Edit:

We seem to have posted at the same time.
I am in the same boat hence asking.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 16:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Anurag.
Why don't you try Velcro to keep the mat in place. I remember seeing this in one car. You may try it on one mat and see if it resolves the issue.
Old 23rd December 2014, 18:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Anurag.
If Velcro seems a tad complicated, do a simple DIY.

Using some two sided tape, apply this on the borders of the mat. Also, make a "cross" pattern, onto the base, using the two-sided tape.

The remaining surface area can be filled up with a simple-yet-effective adhesive, such as furniture grade, waterproof Fevicol.

This idea might seem a tad jugaad like, but it is reversible, and can work.
Old 23rd December 2014, 23:38   #35
BHPian

Quote:
My goodness, 2.5L kms in 4 years flat , it means you were averaging out more than 80K kms a year. Did you ever shut down that Innova engine for resting in garage or was it perennially "ON" the road?
It was more like 60-65k kms a year, the high running was due to work pattern of my father which involved 300km round trips twice/thrice a week,very frequent intercity runs and our family vacations

Quote:
So an "Innova"ian would always be an "Innova"ian, no wonder you brought another Innova
True that.With this kind of usage and the road conditions there is hardly any other choice apart from Innova.Not to forget the very less visits to service centre and peace of mind toyota offers.

We used to have Indigo Marina before innova and just after 60-65k kms It started giving problems as small as power windows failure,Ac failure to engine related issues(stalling,vibrations..etc).Needless to say we sold it within 2 years

Quote:
But it is interesting to know that you switched over form 8 seater to a 7 seater, why the change?
The middle row captain seats are more comfortable than the bench seat in 8-seater especially in the long journeys and also the easier access to third row in 7 seater version.
harsha.muvva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 00:21   #36
BHPian

AutoIndian, you have put in a lot. I have not yet read your post but plan to do it soon. just checked out your link during the interval of movie PK.
Take care, will meet soon.
SHAHBAAZ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 09:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
True that.With this kind of usage and the road conditions there is hardly any other choice apart from Innova.Not to forget the very less visits to service centre and peace of mind toyota offers.
"peace of mind toyota offers" was one of the important deciding factors that tilted me towards the Innova, otherwise the XUV, which offers better looks, more powerful engine and plethora of features would have made its way to my garage.

Quote:
We used to have Indigo Marina before innova and just after 60-65k kms It started giving problems as small as power windows failure,Ac failure to engine related issues(stalling,vibrations..etc).Needless to say we sold it within 2 years
Even my Dad was very much impressed with the Marina for the space and flexibility it offered and would often insist me, why don't we get one home. I however had no apetite to get home the car whose production has long been stopped.

Quote:
The middle row captain seats are more comfortable than the bench seat in 8-seater especially in the long journeys and also the easier access to third row in 7 seater version.
Fantastic . That is music to my ears. I always had the affinity to the 8 seater version for the additional seating and flexibility it offers to carry more passengers or luggage. But now after using the 7 seater, I am pretty convinced about the great comfort for the middle row passengers and the easier access to third row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAHBAAZ View Post
AutoIndian, you have put in a lot. I have not yet read your post but plan to do it soon. just checked out your link during the interval of movie PK.
Take care, will meet soon.
Thank you SHAHBAAZ. Actually all this was not planned. It simply happened due to the fact that I had some leftover budget at my disposal. Please go through the thread and let me know your views. You are most welcome to have a look at the car in person. How about tomorrow's Christmas holiday to catch up over a tea or coffee?
Old 24th December 2014, 12:55   #38
BHPian

AutoIndian, surely we will meet on 25th Dec. Will call to let you know the time. Meanwhile just to let everybody know, I had been to Aurangabad last weekend in my Innova. I had tanked up at the chakan Indianoil company outlet so that the return trip would not require any topic. The drive was asusual a comfortable one being only two members in car was liketwo sailing on a ship. With a 546 km run after the full tank, I refilled it with 40.2 ltrs, to get an average of 13.5 which I feel is great. 80% of the driving was highway with A/C and remaining in city.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-dsc_0559.jpg  

Last edited by SHAHBAAZ : 24th December 2014 at 13:01.
Old 24th December 2014, 13:01   #39
BHPian

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse

The Innova in its 7-seater avatar is definitely more comfortable over long journeys. I can vouch for that. However I needed an 8-seater hence I had to forego the captain seats. The 8-seater cost about 5000 extra.

When are you planning to go on a long drive? Came back from a 3-day 1400km Goa. Didn't feel tired at all. Do get your car serviced properly once before you start your trip also try synthetic oil you will feel the difference and will help you to maintain the car till 2 lakh km.
Donot put more than 1 matting saying this from experience since I got floor lamination, rubber mats provided with the car as well as beige plastic mats. This set up will not allow the clutch and accelerator to be fully depressed. I was wondering what's wrong with the car since I noticed the gear shifts had become notchy.

All the best and start enjoying your car already!
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 13:20   #40
BHPian

Congrats AutoIndian! You have got an almost virgin (Engine wise) Innova for yourself. Man, 50K is nothing for this engine. My extended family's Innova has crossed 3.5 Lac Kms and still going strong! All it needs is a timely service.
Hope you have verified the Odo reading and if yes, its a steal for that price. Taxi's with 2L+ kms of 2007/8 vintage are claiming that value down south!

Have gone through your other thread where you were asking for suggestions on the Innova in your office and good that you stayed away from that.

I somehow love Innova for its positives but hate it for its poor overall VFM quotient and wish Suzuki or Hyundai brings in a bigger MUV and kills this.

Just out of curiosity, Why were you keen on Rear wheel drive layout? Not many of the front wheel driven cars I have driven felt heavy to steer or lacked traction because of this reason in day-to-day ideal conditions.

Quote:
Features:
[/b]Though this is the top-end V model, one has to bear in mind that it is now six years old and six years back features even in top end models were very few are far in between. Fortunately this car has front two airbags, ABS, power mirrors, door open warning, seat belt reminder for driver and passenger, tachometer, Immobilizer, tilt steering, parking sensors, Power Windows (With Driver side Auto Down), Power Door Lock etc. This was the minimum I was expecting. What is does not have:
  • Turn indicators on mirrors
  • Steering mounted audio controls
  • Climate control
  • Touch screen
  • Power folding mirrors
Trust me, its not far behind compared to what you would have got in an Ertiga except for the Turn indicators on ORVM & Audio controls on steering. Even in 2014, many of the so called top variants gets only the above listed features.
Was parking sensor standard?

The seat cover looks good and will be easy to clean but the original upholstery would have been very comfortable, be it for the weather or long journey.

You added side steps for your Parents convenience I think but doesn't it add to the width further making it difficult to park in your parking? Is that heavy duty? In pics, it looks thin and so wondering if it will survive on a bad road.
ganesc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 15:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAHBAAZ View Post
AutoIndian, surely we will meet on 25th Dec. Will call to let you know the time.
Looking forward for the meet. Please PM me the time and venue details and I will be there.

Quote:
With a 546 km run after the full tank, I refilled it with 40.2 ltrs, to get an average of 13.5 which I feel is great. 80% of the driving was highway with A/C and remaining in city.
That is a very good mileage you have got. What kind of speeds did you maintain on the highway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
When are you planning to go on a long drive?
The first long drive with family is planned for the coming Monday (29th Dec). Will share my experience once I am back from the trip.

Quote:
Came back from a 3-day 1400km Goa. Didn't feel tired at all.
This is the primary reason why I opted for an Innova. I love long drives and taking family along with me and which other car can keep its passengers in prime comfort for long journeys.

Quote:
Do get your car serviced properly once before you start your trip also try synthetic oil you will feel the difference and will help you to maintain the car till 2 lakh km.
Unfortunately the 55K service will be lined up only after my first long drive over next week. Yes my target is definitely 2 lakh kms or beyond that. Which is the oil that Toyota Service Centre's use for the regular service? I mean the specification and how different it is from the synthetic oil that you are using? Are you using this oil since begining?

Quote:
Donot put more than 1 matting saying this from experience since I got floor lamination, rubber mats provided with the car as well as beige plastic mats. This set up will not allow the clutch and accelerator to be fully depressed. I was wondering what's wrong with the car since I noticed the gear shifts had become notchy.

All the best and start enjoying your car already!
Even I have removed the plastic matting and have placed the rubber mats on top of the lamination, that combination is just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
Congrats AutoIndian! You have got an almost virgin (Engine wise) Innova for yourself. Man, 50K is nothing for this engine. My extended family's Innova has crossed 3.5 Lac Kms and still going strong! All it needs is a timely service.
That is some serious running for a non-commercial vehicle.

Quote:
Hope you have verified the Odo reading and if yes, its a steal for that price. Taxi's with 2L+ kms of 2007/8 vintage are claiming that value down south!
Yes the odo reading is genuine as it was earlier owned by a decent family. Used Innova's coming through agents would have a high probability of the odo being tampered, but not the one's coming through a gentleman owner. Though the owner was initially asking for 8 lacs, I started with 7.25 lacs. He then came down to 7.5 lacs and I stretched till 7.35 lacs. Finally the deal was done @ 7.4 considering he had recently put up a new tyre.

Quote:
Have gone through your other thread where you were asking for suggestions on the Innova in your office and good that you stayed away from that.
I really thank my stars that I didn't pursue that office Innova any further after I came to know that it was a confiscated one without any proper papers.

Quote:
I somehow love Innova for its positives but hate it for its poor overall VFM quotient and wish Suzuki or Hyundai brings in a bigger MUV and kills this.
I completely agree with your thoughts. Toyota had enough of monopoly with the Innova and its high time that Suzuki or Hyundai brings a competent product, till then Toyota will keep laughing all the way to bank.

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, Why were you keen on Rear wheel drive layout? Not many of the front wheel driven cars I have driven felt heavy to steer or lacked traction because of this reason in day-to-day ideal conditions.
When I travel with my family or extended family I don't usually travel light. Now imagine a car fully loaded climbing a ghat section, coming to a standstill on an incline. A front wheel drive car will have to spin its front wheels to glory to get the necessary traction. A rear wheel drive on the other hand will have the complete traction as the full load is on the rear wheels which are driving the car. Also the rear wheel drive vehicle is easy to steer on corners as there is no torque steer. I however agree that in day-to-day running such conditions would be very rare, but then I have gone through these on many occassions when I was in an outing with my family.

Quote:
Was parking sensor standard?
I am not very sure about this, but it functions perfectly as it is intended to.

Quote:
The seat cover looks good and will be easy to clean but the original upholstery would have been very comfortable, be it for the weather or long journey.
The original seat covers were never cleaned. they looked very dirty, moreover they had become loose. The reason behind going for new covers was that it gives an altogether new look to the cars interiors, that plushness and new car car feel is worth all the money and efforts.

Quote:
You added side steps for your Parents convenience I think but doesn't it add to the width further making it difficult to park in your parking? Is that heavy duty? In pics, it looks thin and so wondering if it will survive on a bad road.
You are spot on. Initially I was reluctant to go for the side steps due to inconvenience and apprehension that it would add to the width further making it difficult to park in my parking. But that apprehension was unfounded. The lower portion of Innova's body is curved inside. Hence when seen from side view, the foot steps are well with the lines of ORVMs. The steps have sufficient thickness. load carrying capacity is 65 kgs. However bad road survival is yet to be tested, sincerely hope it survives.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 15:21   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Looking forward for the meet. Please PM me the time and venue details and I will be there.
That is a very good mileage you have got. What kind of speeds did you maintain on the highway?
At a steady 100kmph both ways I achieved this with only two persons including me. No luggage except for two small bags. But the story is different when I had been to Ahmadabad in November. We were 4 adults and a kid with normal luggage being carried with us. Considering the road conditions, we clocked a steady 120-130kmph and achieved an average of 12.01kmph and 11.8kmph. The better average achieved was when my brother was driving as he is used to Innovas.

Anyways we will have all details exchanged when we meet tomorrow. I will pm you. Take care.

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th December 2014 at 08:50. Reason: Clowing quote tag
Old 26th December 2014, 12:14   #43
BHPian

Congrats AutoIndian on your new car. Innova is indeed a very good multi-purpose car.

I have one request to make - since you travel 60 km per day to your office & back (and assume you drive alone), i.e. ~ 5 litres of fuel per day, request you to carpool / give a ride to a few of your colleagues or others using the same route. Will help to even further reduce the emissions per capita as well as saving fuel.

There are a few apps that allow you to find people on the same route etc. Dont remember their names but I am sure TBHP has a thread for them.

Thanks if you are already doing it & helping save the environment.
aashishnb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 13:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

While coming to office today, I picked up the 4 Neck Pillows that I had pre-ordered from the same accessories shop where I had fitted the seat covers. Below are a few pictures that I clicked in office parking.

Neck Pillows fitted on middle row of seats
Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-neck-pillows-fitted-middle-row-seats.jpg

Neck Pillows fitted on front row of seats as seen from LHS
Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-neck-pillows-fitted-front-row-seats-seen-lhs.jpg

Neck Pillows fitted on front row of seats as seen from RHS
Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-neck-pillows-fitted-front-row-seats-seen-rhs.jpg

I wanted to fit mud-flaps, but unfortunately the shop had those for Type-2 Innovas and not the older version. Is there a difference between the mud flaps for Type-1 and Type-2? My local shop had a set of plastic/ fibre flaps, which he quoted for Rs 350/-. Is this the right price? I am looking for thick rubber mud flaps, which can flex. The plastic/ fibre ones are prone to cracking in case of a hard stone hit. What you do guys recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishnb View Post
Congrats AutoIndian on your new car. Innova is indeed a very good multi-purpose car.
Thank you for your wishes aashishnb.

Quote:
I have one request to make - since you travel 60 km per day to your office & back (and assume you drive alone), i.e. ~ 5 litres of fuel per day, request you to carpool / give a ride to a few of your colleagues or others using the same route. Will help to even further reduce the emissions per capita as well as saving fuel.
I appreciate your thoughts. However no one from my office/ project stays in the nearby area where I am currently residing. Moreover if I try to carpool with people outside my project/ office, it would be very difficult to match the timings as I work in second shift ( from 01:00pm to 10:00pm). If I come across some people whose timing and route matches with that of mine, I will definitely consider car pooling.
Old 26th December 2014, 14:38   #45
BHPian

Congratulations AutoIndian! Just saw this thread, hence late in complimenting your Innova which surely looks dashing beauty. Wish you miles and miles of comfortable driving.

I'm in dilemma over installing side-boards in my innova. But since you mentioned that these are within width of side-mirrors, i'm again thinking about them. Only issue is how much ground clearance is reduced.
DwarkaDelhiWala is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks