Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2014, 22:26   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The roof carrier would serve me well for those odd days when the cabin is full and I cannot stuff in more.

Congrats AutoIndian, on your Innova. Looks great in black, especially after your improvements and mods !

Regarding the roof carrier, I have been stopped twice by cops in my Xylo and asked for all documents, and on both occasions the roof carrier was present. Ever since, I have removed it, and no checks by cops since then. So, better to remove it unless absolutely needed.

Wishing you several happy miles of ownership
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 07:41   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Congrats AutoIndian, on your Innova. Looks great in black, especially after your improvements and mods !
Thank you mooza for your wishes and compliments.

Quote:
Regarding the roof carrier, I have been stopped twice by cops in my Xylo and asked for all documents, and on both occasions the roof carrier was present. Ever since, I have removed it, and no checks by cops since then. So, better to remove it unless absolutely needed.

Wishing you several happy miles of ownership
, the roof carrier can give the cops a perception that tourists are being ferried in a private vehicle, hence the checks for all papers. Well let's see, going forward if the roof carrier creates more setbacks than its utility then I may have to take a call to remove it, else I will continue with it.

Today I am venturing on my maiden highway trip in my Black Workhorse. Going on a 2 day trip to Nasik (NH50) with my extended family. Unfortunately my younger one is not keeping well. So my son, wifey and daughter won't be accompanying on this first trip. However we would be seven adults and 2 days luggage (Mom, Dad, Granny, Sister, nephew, Brother-in-law and myself).

Will share my experience once I am back from this drive. It seems NH50 is in a very bad shape at some stretches and I will have to drive carefully. It is on this very highway I had my first ever and the only "tyre burst" incident . So I am a bit wary of driving at triple digit speeds. Also due to aged people on board and many twisties and ghats, I would be better off maintaining speeds in the range of 70-90 kmph else the passengers may encounter motion sickness.

Wish me for a safe and successful trip.
Old 29th December 2014, 07:59   #63
BHPian

Wishing you a very safe and pleasant trip. I guess there is no need for three digit speed.
DwarkaDelhiWala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 08:58   #64
Senior - BHPian

I had been to nashik 3 weeks back and trust me the highway is in real bad shape. Apart from the sangamner bypass, the rest of the highway has loads of undulations. Neither do things change when you enter nashik. Have a safe journey, I am sure the innova's suspension will do its best to keep your family in comfort.

If you like spicy food, don't miss the Misal and Kadhi vada at narayangaon.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 08:15   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
I had been to nashik 3 weeks back and trust me the highway is in real bad shape. Apart from the sangamner bypass, the rest of the highway has loads of undulations. Neither do things change when you enter nashik. Have a safe journey, I am sure the innova's suspension will do its best to keep your family in comfort.
You were spot on Asit. The road is indeed in a very bad shape. However the Innova made a mockery of all those pot holes and undulations. In fact my brother-in-law who was all the time occupying the third row of seat was all praises for the magic suspension. As a matter of fact he himself had travelled to Nasik three weeks back in his Vista D90 and he was very scary to venture again on NH50. However he was beyond words for the comfortable ride provided by the third row of seats in my Black Workhorse (independant multi link suspension working all through the way). My 85+ year old Granny didnt even realize she had travelled 200+ kms.

Quote:
If you like spicy food, don't miss the Misal and Kadhi vada at narayangaon.

Asit
We had the lunch at Kamat's. However will keep your suggestion in mind during the return trip. Will start the return trip today afternoon. Will post the complete details with pictures taken enroute once I return home.
Old 30th December 2014, 23:19   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will start the return trip today afternoon. Will post the complete details with pictures taken enroute once I return home.
Started the return trip from Nasik at 03:00pm and reached home @ 08:00pm with one tea break just before the Chandanapuri ghat. The Black Workhorse performed flawlessly throughout the journey (435 kms in total), 400 km of highway + 35 km incity running. Will do a tankfull tomorrow morning to check out the mileage. Only one minor issue noticed during the journey. On a plain road with speed in excess of 70 kmph, I could hear a humming sound from the rear, the frequency would increase with increasing speed. I am suspecting a bearing issue. Will get this addressed during the 55K service.

Sharing some pictures clicked during the trip.

The BW taking the much needed rest after 100km run
Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-bw-taking-much-needed-rest-after-100km-run.jpg

The BW in parking bay with Kamat's in background

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-bw-parking-bay-kamats-background.jpg

A cute little puppy enjoying the lush green grass at Kamat joint

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-cute-little-puppy-enjoying-lush-green-grass-kamat-joint.jpg

Ladies soaking in the afternoon sun with BW in background

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-ladies-soaking-afternoon-sun-bw-background.jpg

The BW during tea break just before the start of Chandanpuri Ghat

Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-bw-during-tea-break-just-before-start-chandanpuri-ghat.jpg

NH50 as viewed from inside the BW
Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-nh50-viewed-inside-bw.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 06:55   #67
BHPian

The car looks great. Wish you many many happy miles.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 14:32   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will do a tankfull tomorrow morning to check out the mileage.
Did a tankfull today morning from the same bunk from where I had filled before the start of the trip. The tank gulped 34.46 litres of diesel and distance covered was 436 kms, giving me a mileage of 12.65 kmpl. This is quite lower than what I had expected. (In fact lowest mileage till date). For my daily office runs, in the last 5 tankfulls I have got an average mileage of 13.31 kmpl.

I can attribute this to the below mentioned factors:
  • Car was fully loaded (7 adults and their luggage for 2 days)
  • AC was "ON" all the time
  • Very poor road conditions at some stretches and many ghats all through the way
  • During the return journey stuck up in traffic for 15 mins at toll post and then for 30 mins between Chakan and Bhosari.
  • On open stretches of road I was maintaining a speed of 90-100 kmph. However couldn't sustain these speeds for more than 5 mins in one go.
I think crossing the 14 kmpl mark will be very challenging. Anyways will keep trying to achieve that mark.
Old 31st December 2014, 21:19   #69
BHPian

Why be so depressed about the mileage ?
To achieve 15kmpl you need to be very careful while driving. In my 4 years of driving the maximum I could do was 14 kmpl. 12.56 kmpl is the exact mileage I get on my daily runs as well as long drives. I have even got 7kmpl but that's because I was ripping it.
If your trying to compare it to your Indica do factor in that you took 2 more people and luggage too and that too much comfortably so all is not bad. The Innova's 2.5 ltr is not that fuel efficient. An average of 13-14 is what you should expect.

Also sorry I don't know about the oil grade Toyota uses will check next time I go for an oil change.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 08:56   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Why be so depressed about the mileage ?
True, I am a bit depressed with the mileage I could get on this trip, but certainly not obsessed with mileage otherwise I could have blind foldedly gone for the Mobilio or Ertiga. For me passenger comfort and space are of prime importance.

Quote:
To achieve 15kmpl you need to be very careful while driving. In my 4 years of driving the maximum I could do was 14 kmpl. 12.56 kmpl is the exact mileage I get on my daily runs as well as long drives. I have even got 7kmpl but that's because I was ripping it.
You are right. I think 70-80 kmph in 5th gear is the sweet spot, where one can extract the maximum mileage. I don't blame the car or my driving style, but the road conditions. On well paved roads, I am sure I will be able to cross the 14 kmpl barrier.

Quote:
If your trying to compare it to your Indica do factor in that you took 2 more people and luggage too and that too much comfortably so all is not bad. The Innova's 2.5 ltr is not that fuel efficient. An average of 13-14 is what you should expect.
To be honest, there cannot be any comparison with the Indica. The 5 hour long journey on treacherous road with some crazy traffic and no one complaining of any body pain, neither any case of motion sickness, speaks a lot about the comfort levels provided by this car. This would not have been possible in my Indca.
Old 1st January 2015, 14:37   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True, I am a bit depressed with the mileage I could get on this trip, but certainly not obsessed with mileage otherwise I could have blind foldedly gone for the Mobilio or Ertiga. For me passenger comfort and space are of prime importance.

You are right. I think 70-80 kmph in 5th gear is the sweet spot, where one can extract the maximum mileage. I don't blame the car or my driving style, but the road conditions. On well paved roads, I am sure I will be able to cross the 14 kmpl barrier.

To be honest, there cannot be any comparison with the Indica. The 5 hour long journey on treacherous road with some crazy traffic and no one complaining of any body pain, neither any case of motion sickness, speaks a lot about the comfort levels provided by this car. This would not have been possible in my Indca.
if you want to try fuel efficient driving, try coasting - i.e. gliding along without propulsion as much as possible. Coasting dissipates stored energy (kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy) against aerodynamic drag and rolling resistance which must always be overcome by the vehicle during travel. If coasting uphill, stored energy is also expended by grade resistance, but this energy is not dissipated since it becomes stored as gravitational potential energy which might be used later on. Using stored energy (via coasting) for these purposes is obviously more efficient than dissipating it in friction braking. When coasting with the engine running and manual transmission clutch depressed (Note: in neutral coasting is against law in some US States, unaware of status in India), there will still be some fuel consumption due to the engine needing to maintain idle engine speed.

Normally I get 10-11 kmpl in city and similar on highways. Now see the results I obtained with Innova VX 2009, in gear coasting on 200+ Kilometer trip, averaged for both ways (to cancel out gradient, wind etc)
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse-innova-16kmpl.jpg  

Last edited by Buffetfan : 1st January 2015 at 14:39.
Buffetfan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 13:24   #72
Senior - BHPian

Friends, I have one query regarding the ideal tyre pressure to be maintained in the Innova. I believe the recommended pressure is 33 psi in all the 4 tyres. If the car is fully loaded, 7+ adults and their luggage then should we increase the rear tyre pressure to say around 35 psi or should stick to 33?

Since I am venturing on another trip tomorrow morning with 6 adults and 2 kids, I have now maintained around 34 psi in front wheels and 35 psi in the rear wheels.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 2nd January 2015 at 13:28.
Old 2nd January 2015, 13:28   #73
BANNED

Quote:
Friends, I have one query regarding the ideal tyre pressure to be maintained in the Innova. I believe the recommended pressure is 33 psi in all the 4 tyres. If the car is fully loaded, 7+ adults and their luggage then should we increase the rear tyre pressure to say around 35 psi or should stick to 33?
Isn't there a tyre on the drivers side door which gives the specific tyre pressures to be maintained under different load conditions?

If the recommended cold tyre pressures are 33 psi all round, then maintain +2 psi if the air filing point is a bit far from your residence as tyres get warn by the time you'll reach there.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 14:54   #74
BHPian

Quote:

Since I am venturing on another trip tomorrow morning with 6 adults and 2 kids, I have now maintained around 34 psi in front wheels and 35 psi in the rear wheels.
Toyota recommended Tyre pressure for not fully loaded is 33PSI all around. For fully loaded it is 33PSI front and 36PSI rear wheals. Slightly higher Tyre pressures would reduce the chances of tyres getting punctured or burst at the cost of ride quality. Deterioration in ride quality though is negligible.

Sorry for not congratulating you earlier. Wish you many safe, comfortable and fun filled miles on your latest acquisition, the black Innova.:thumbup:
mroptimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 15:25   #75
BHPian

Quote:

AutoIndian, I am maintaining the pressure to 35psi on all four tyres and would reccomend you the same.
Previously I too had various people saying 33/35 for front and rear, few recommended 34 for all four for better ride. But my tyre shoppe person recommends 35 in all four even if its a city use.

I Returned yesterday from Ajmer Shareef(Rajasthan) after clogging 2360kms in 4 & 1/2 days with total journey of around 5 & 1/2 days. The ride was awesome and comfortable except for two punctures on same tyre in a span of 250kms. Finally had to insert a tube in my tubeless Tyre to have the remaining ride without any further hiccups.
SHAHBAAZ is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks