Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2015, 18:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: 40,000 kms & 3 years up

The XC60 is undoubtedly a brilliant car. I almost bought it in October, had Audi not sweetened the deal to make me buy my second Audi :-)

It is still on my "to buy" list. It ticks all the right boxes for me, or anyone who drives one ! Gem of an engine, understated, built like a tank, great ride quality. Are just some of the good things about it !

Though I would go for the D4 (did not see why I would need the 2nd turbo) One seemed to do the job just fine :-) 400 nm torque on the D4 & 440 nm on the D5. Anyway that is just my POV

Congrats on having bought a GREAT car (Y)

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 18:44   #17
BHPian

My review of 2012 XC60 D5 AWD is still pending :( and you beat me to it.
You've got one of world's safest vehicle with typical Scandinavian flavor. Enjoy it's beefy suspension and high ground clearance while off-roading. A True world car, this beauty can be seen across all world cities in different colors. Signature LED Taillights are something to die for.
Are these rims 18", 19" or 20"
1-Testosterone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 19:26   #18
D C
BHPian

Congratulations to you and family on the new Volvo! I enjoyed reading your review, thanks for taking time to share a detailed review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Rear view mirrors do not automatically come back to normal after dipping while reversing. So I have (through the command console) deleted the "dip when reversing" feature.
The mirror will come back to its position only after 10 seconds if the vehicles is stopped. If the vehicle is on the move it will come back to position after reaching about 10kmph speed.

If it didn't, please make sure the memory function is set for the mirrors along with the seat.

The below are some extracts from the XC60 (2012) user manual, and this may be of some help.

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-manual-1.jpg
Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-volvo-manual-2.jpg
D C is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 20:00   #19
BHPian

Congratulations Narayan ! Must say Xc60 is an amazing vehicle. If I had to choose a car in the SUV segment in this range it would most definitely be this. I must say I have been considering a S80 and have seen the interiors and they look way better in real than the various pictures online. When I first saw the pictures before going ot the showroom I was bent upon not considering it but as soon as you step in its a totally different look ! Must say though that S80 does look a bit dated and hence I am a bit skeptical.
I think XC60 must be Volvo's highest selling model right now (thats what the Ahmedabad showroom also mentioned). The brown color is a winner as well !
Old 9th January 2015, 20:15   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
... When I was in the market in 2013 for an entry level car, my experience was also the best at Volvo. Infact Mercedes and Audi were really disappointing and Volvo dealership in Gurgaon was the first one to acknowledge me as a customer that has come to shell 30+ L on a car.....Another thing that looks slightly disappointing from the pics is the rear seat space.... Lastly what is the use of the funnel provided for refuelling? Is the fuel tank opening not of a standard size in accordance with our fuel pumps? ....
Dear @ drmohitg, (a) Yes my experience was similar too. If you are spending as much as the purchase price of a mid-sized apartment I expect that at least the owner of the dealership (and the Sales Leader of the manufacturer) should respond to letters and requests for a meeting. (b) You are right the rear seat could be better at the expense of the cavernous boot. (c) The plastic nozzle is to be used in case the diesel pumps' spout is too big for the Volvo's fuel tank mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
Your comment on the ASS of Merc has left me worried. I too asked a few acquaintances about how reliable their Mercs were, and most of them faced no issues even with ASS. I believe Merc's after sales and service is a mixed bag.
Dear @prakhar1998, I put down exactly what feedback I received from 4 senior corporate professionals. It caught me by surprise as it was at variance to my layman's image of Mercedes. I do hope things get better with Mercedes. Their cars often look very attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobalan View Post
Some of your experiences really surprised me, like Volvo India Head replying your mails and Dealer is offering test car for few days.
. At a social function Volvo had offered a raffle which I won so the week long trial came from there. For Swede Auto it was a , ' good morning sir, you again...'. The interactions with Volvo's India office was both before and after this. In terms of replying and talking - I guess it is a function of Volvo's company culture, attitude to customers and maybe the manner and tone with which I interacted with them.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 22:04   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. At a social function Volvo had offered a raffle which I won so the week long trial came from there.
Oh. I had already made plans of renting out a V40 in similar fashion.
But since we are talking about this, I wonder if it could be allowed atleast with premium car makers where a customer can be given a test car for an extended period of time to better evaluate if it suits his needs and driving style.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 22:59   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-v20.jpg
Cruise Control on LHS; Voice Commands and Music volume & telephony on RHS

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-v20a.jpg
3 themes for display. Green, Eco; Blue, Elegance; Red, Sports; data on the side such as mileage, fuel to empty, odometer combinations etc can be varied to show what you prefer; gauge on LHS shows how economically you are driving

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-v25.jpg
Central Console. Top Right knob is for scrolling and choosing the menu options under My Car, Navigation, Music, Radio, Blue Tooth etc; Central clutch of buttons are for phone dialing out; bottom left corner is for dropping the rear headrests to improve rear view (love this); bottom RH corner is to activate hill descent (not tried it yet); My Car button I will post over the weekend after taking some more photographs to illustrate it.

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-v24.jpg
Look of the cockpit from a distance
V.Narayan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 23:39   #23
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase.

I too gave this color a consider but in the end chose the black. Moreover black was the only piece in stock in the D4 trim I wanted. Would have loved the R-design if not for lack of ready availability and price of course.

Quote:
We took the 5 year 150,000 kms extended warranty and zero depreciation insurance with cover for tyres
I am surprised reading about 5 year extended warranty. I was told extended warranty is for 2 additional years only. i.e 2+2. Will have to check with my dealer. The part about 150K km is true though.

Quote:
When filling diesel you have to insert a plastic funnel provided by Volvo. Not sure what its purpose is. Don’t know if it'll be a problem if the funnel gets misplaced. Tank takes 70 litres.
Same here. But please note that the only time I filled up the tank till now, the auto stop did not work. May have to blame it on the use of the funnel. Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

Quote:
Rear view mirrors do not automatically come back to normal after dipping while reversing. So I have (through the command console) deleted the "dip when reversing" feature.
Works fine in my car. The mirror returns to normal as soon as I shift to D.
Old 9th January 2015, 23:49   #24
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase! Fantastic write up too.

Regarding the plastic nozzle, I have noticed that sometimes without the plastic funnel the vehicle does not allow you to put the diesel pump's spout in even if it is narrow enough to fit in.

As far as I knew, the extended warranty was just for an additional 2 years. Have they changed their policy?
Old 10th January 2015, 01:02   #25
BHPian

Congratulations Narayan on the newest addition to your family. I have always had a certain degree of respect for Volvo as a brand and xc60 is no doubt a stunner. To me personally Volvo is as dear a brand as any one of the german trio; hence I always found it surprising that while it is lagging behind in sales, the other three are enjoying enormous success. In my opinion the broader Indian market still focuses on the snob value, there are so many examples of people choosing style over substance that the irony itself fades away.

Also the fact that Volvo allowed you a test car for a week and handled your numerous queries patiently and courteously is a big thumbs up.

Last edited by rattanw : 10th January 2015 at 01:05.
Old 10th January 2015, 07:19   #26
BHPian

The aluminium Engine sump guard is something very useful for the Volvo sedans. With so much ground clearance, maybe not an issue for the SUV.
I have seen that the rearview camera as well as the tilted mirrors stay in the reverse mode a tad longer than expected. I am sure there is a "safety" explanation to it, but cannot think of one myself.
Old 10th January 2015, 13:20   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
The aluminium Engine sump guard is something very useful for the Volvo sedans. With so much ground clearance, maybe not an issue for the SUV.
I have seen that the rearview camera as well as the tilted mirrors stay in the reverse mode a tad longer than expected. I am sure there is a "safety" explanation to it, but cannot think of one myself.
If u want to remove the setting of tilting rear view mirrors during reversing then u can do that from vehicle settings. After you do that, when u need to tilt the mirrors during reversing, u can do that manually by putting the gear in reverse and pressing either the left or right rear view mirror adjuster button above the joysitck on the door panel.

This would automatically bring the mirror of either side completely down. To undo, just press the button again and it immediately goes back up.
funkydevil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 15:16   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattanw View Post
To me personally Volvo is as dear a brand as any one of the german trio; hence I always found it surprising that while it is lagging behind in sales, the other three are enjoying enormous success. In my opinion the broader Indian market still focuses on the snob value, there are so many examples of people choosing style over substance that the irony itself fades away.

Also the fact that Volvo allowed you a test car for a week and handled your numerous queries patiently and courteously is a big thumbs up.
Dear rattanw , Indian car owners are being exposed to the luxury market in full form only for 10 years or so. We still sadly believe that the car seller is bestowing a higher status on us when we buy the car. Instead I believe the car or any other luxury product equally derives its status from the clientele who buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazin View Post
Regarding the plastic nozzle, I have noticed that sometimes without the plastic funnel the vehicle does not allow you to put the diesel pump's spout in even if it is narrow enough to fit in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva View Post
I am surprised reading about 5 year extended warranty. I was told extended warranty is for 2 additional years only. i.e 2+2. Will have to check with my dealer. The part about 150K km is true though.....But please note that the only time I filled up the tank till now, the auto stop did not work. May have to blame it on the use of the funnel. Damned if you do, damned if you don't!
Siva and trailblazin, my mistake. The Extended Warranty is for 4 years not 5 as incorrectly stated in my article. Cost for the extended 2 years is Rs 90,000. Apologies for the error. The funnel does prevent the auto-stop. You have to keep an eye on the filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
My review of 2012 XC60 D5 AWD is still pending :( and you beat me to it....Are these rims 18", 19" or 20"
@1-Testosterone, we are all looking forward to your owners review. Please write soon. the tyres are Pirelli 235/60 R18.
Old 10th January 2015, 15:33   #29
BHPian

Having to use a funnel to fill diesel not only feels retrograde but also an irritant.
Is there a proper place to store the funnel in the car ?. There is also the diesel in the funnel dripping and collecting in the car.
Old 10th January 2015, 15:38   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-v30.jpg
Seat controls on drivers side; button at the rear left corner is for adjusting lumbar support

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-v31.jpg
big dead pedal; parking hand brake on right; adjustment for steering can just be seen under the wheel shaft; bonnet opener just visible on right

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-v32.jpg
Central strip - 2 cup holders, lighter cum charger; has a sliding cover like in Superb

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-v22.jpg
Light switches, openers for boot & fuel tank, light intensity knob

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-v16.jpg
Door fabric and matt finish metal has good quality

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-v29.jpg
Rear view is adequate

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-v27.jpg

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-v28.jpg
Another view of the drivers side window controls and ORVM controls

Volvo XC60, D5 Summum AWD. EDIT: Sold at 9-years and 1,00,000 kms!-v34.jpg
The end product into which this all rolls in....now to get it some Teflon cover
V.Narayan is offline   (8) Thanks