Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2015, 21:04   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Long drive BLR to Mahabaleshwar on NH4. - experimenting all these modes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Great review with an explanation of the features in real life situations.

How do you coast? Do you take your foot off the accelerator completely for a few seconds? Wouldn't the car's speed drop in such a case. Or do you do this in situation like into a curve, preliminary to braking etc?

Drive on,
Shibu.
The BMW 8 speeds from 2014 model year onwards have a coasting function. When in Eco Pro mode, if no accelerator input is applied the box lets the car coast so as to increase the mileage. It can be deselected from the iDrive too.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 17:00   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My White Stallion - BMW X3 20D xDrive. A Q3 owner speaks

Congrats Araje,

A very well written review

Also to be honest the facelift X3 looks fresh & absolutely stunning in White (making it look larger)

PS - Love the 18" alloys
Old 10th May 2015, 11:32   #18
BHPian

I apologize. It is been a while since I updated what's going on with the car.

I have crossed 5K now and I see noticeable difference in Eco Pro handling mode. As I mentioned before, this mode was pretty sluggish and unBMWish. It drives better now. Much better.

Unfortunately ever since my Mahabaleshwar trip, I haven't been able to take the car outside and it pretty much did just city driving but still enjoying the ride with all the traffic constraints.

We got beaten with quite a lot of rains last month and I got a chance to see how the rain sensor works. I have to say that it does definitely have a parameter of speed which affects the speed of wipers irrespective of how heavy the downpour is. Picture this - stormy situation, heavy downpour and you are waiting at the signal being the first car. I would like my windshield cleared but the car doesn't feel necessary to clear the windshield since I am stationary. Hmm - didn't appreciate that. It does it once in a while. Oh and by the way, we had hail storm too in Bangalore. Never thought that would happen. I happened to be in the car at that time. For a minute I was scared who is throwing stones at my car so much. But the rain sensor works and works in highest speed since pressure of the falling objects is high.
Rain sensor - hail compatible : Check.

I am still working the retrofit negotiations. They are going well and BMW is cooperating very well. But the warranty is still a discussion item. I am happy that they are talking regularly and calling me up with what is going on. Haven't lost faith yet.
I will have an update shortly.

For now - the car is getting BSI registered and also back to Ulimate Detailerz for 6month refresh treatment per the contract. They do an awesome job. I have CQUARTZ Finest coating on the car and No matter how bad it was raining, the body is nicely water repellent forming beads and not a sheet. When in motion the beads just run off. Very cool.

Here's a picture of ironX treatment on the wheels which reacts with brake dust.
My White Stallion - BMW X3 20D xDrive. A Q3 owner speaks-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431237652.563818.jpg

If you are in BLR, I think you should try this at least. I am one happy customer. Treating the car here makes me feel I am at least doing something for the car in return

Until next time.
Drive safe.
araje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 18:13   #19
BHPian

Wonderful review! Especially the eco Pro and all the DHP & DEC you have explained are really enlightening.
I think Q5 also has an efficiency program, which I think is similar to EcoPro, but not sure.
Let me find that out more.
But keep the information coming!
Old 2nd August 2015, 22:15   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Excellent review araje. I just put down a deposit on the X20d Xline. As you said, just the extra tech you get with the xline is worth it over the expedition model. Not to mention the 245 tires as opposed to the 225s on the expedition. I would have loved to get the X30d but it was way out of my budget, pushing over 70 lakhs on the road in Tamil Nadu.

I wanted the Mocha interiors, with sparkling brown interiors. The dealer said that it is not possible, so I am trying to work with BMW corporate to see if it can can be added to the production schedule. If not, I will go for white with Mocha interiors. I wasn't sure how the white will look, since they didn't have a white in the yard, but from your pictures, I think it looks damn good...
Old 3rd August 2015, 08:33   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I wanted the Mocha interiors, with sparkling brown interiors. The dealer said that it is not possible, so I am trying to work with BMW corporate to see if it can can be added to the production schedule. If not, I will go for white with Mocha interiors. I wasn't sure how the white will look, since they didn't have a white in the yard, but from your pictures, I think it looks damn good...
Did you also consider "saddle brown" and "red brown" interiors? akshay1234 has red-brown on his X3. I googled "mocha interior" and it does look similar to saddle brown. Yeah, i too love the sparkling brown exterior but isn't mocha interior and sparkling brown exterior too much of brown overdose ?
Old 3rd August 2015, 12:23   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by super.cars View Post
Did you also consider "saddle brown" and "red brown" interiors? akshay1234 has red-brown on his X3. I googled "mocha interior" and it does look similar to saddle brown. Yeah, i too love the sparkling brown exterior but isn't mocha interior and sparkling brown exterior too much of brown overdose ?
The Sparkling brown, is almost black than brown. Only when you come close do you see the brown shade. Anyways, BMW got back to me to say this combination of Brown and Mocha is not available so, I guess, it will have to be white and Mocha then..
Attached Thumbnails
My White Stallion - BMW X3 20D xDrive. A Q3 owner speaks-sparklingbrownx3.jpg  

Old 21st August 2015, 12:59   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Took delivery of my baby yesterday. Driven 750 kms so far and loving it. Driving very conservatively as of now.

The balance between drive and handling is just brilliant. Adding a few pics here. Will detailed review after I clock a little more...
Attached Thumbnails
My White Stallion - BMW X3 20D xDrive. A Q3 owner speaks-x3pic1.jpg  

My White Stallion - BMW X3 20D xDrive. A Q3 owner speaks-x3pic2.jpg  

My White Stallion - BMW X3 20D xDrive. A Q3 owner speaks-x3pic3.jpg  

My White Stallion - BMW X3 20D xDrive. A Q3 owner speaks-x3pic4.jpg  

My White Stallion - BMW X3 20D xDrive. A Q3 owner speaks-x3pic5.jpg  

My White Stallion - BMW X3 20D xDrive. A Q3 owner speaks-x3pic6.jpg  

My White Stallion - BMW X3 20D xDrive. A Q3 owner speaks-x3pic7.jpg  

4x4addict is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 14:48   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery of my baby yesterday. Driven 750 kms so far and loving it. Driving very conservatively as of now.

The balance between drive and handling is just brilliant. Adding a few pics here. Will detailed review after I clock a little more...

Congrats on your ride !
Didn't you Have a Nissan Patrol and an LC100 before?
What made you take the decision of owning a soft roader after previously owning such rugged trucks ?
Would love to know because I am still thinking of getting a pre-owned Land Cruiser rather than the Fortuner or even the X3 if it's a LC200.
Old 21st August 2015, 17:22   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
I apologize. It is been a while since I updated what's going on with the car.

I have crossed 5K now and I see noticeable difference in Eco Pro handling mode. As I mentioned before, this mode was pretty sluggish and unBMWish. It drives better now. Much better.

Unfortunately ever since my Mahabaleshwar trip, I haven't been able to take the car outside and it pretty much did just city driving but still enjoying the ride with all the traffic constraints.

We got beaten with quite a lot of rains last month and I got a chance to see how the rain sensor works. I have to say that it does definitely have a parameter of speed which affects the speed of wipers irrespective of how heavy the downpour is. Picture this - stormy situation, heavy downpour and you are waiting at the signal being the first car. I would like my windshield cleared but the car doesn't feel necessary to clear the windshield since I am stationary. Hmm - didn't appreciate that. It does it once in a while. Oh and by the way, we had hail storm too in Bangalore. Never thought that would happen. I happened to be in the car at that time. For a minute I was scared who is throwing stones at my car so much. But the rain sensor works and works in highest speed since pressure of the falling objects is high.
Rain sensor - hail compatible : Check.

I am still working the retrofit negotiations. They are going well and BMW is cooperating very well. But the warranty is still a discussion item. I am happy that they are talking regularly and calling me up with what is going on. Haven't lost faith yet.
I will have an update shortly.

For now - the car is getting BSI registered and also back to Ulimate Detailerz for 6month refresh treatment per the contract. They do an awesome job. I have CQUARTZ Finest coating on the car and No matter how bad it was raining, the body is nicely water repellent forming beads and not a sheet. When in motion the beads just run off. Very cool.

Here's a picture of ironX treatment on the wheels which reacts with brake dust.
Attachment 1368812

If you are in BLR, I think you should try this at least. I am one happy customer. Treating the car here makes me feel I am at least doing something for the car in return

Until next time.
Drive safe.
Did you get the xLine or the Expedition? If it's the xLine, can you give us a photo of the Panoramic sunroof?
Old 21st August 2015, 22:36   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi araje,

The headlamps on the X3 has two projectors. I assumed that one would be high beam and the other low beam. However, I was surprised to find that one has the high and low beam bulb and the other doesn't light up at all.

Can you please check your's and revert with high and low beam photos? Not sure if they made some change. mine is the xline version.
Old 22nd August 2015, 01:49   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi araje,

The headlamps on the X3 has two projectors. I assumed that one would be high beam and the other low beam. However, I was surprised to find that one has the high and low beam bulb and the other doesn't light up at all.

Can you please check your's and revert with high and low beam photos? Not sure if they made some change. mine is the xline version.

It is working just like it should. Indian BMWs don't get adaptive headlights (which swivel when you turn, and adjust many other things) which also add cornering lights at low speeds, and the inner projectors contain the cornering lamps.
Old 22nd August 2015, 12:00   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
It is working just like it should. Indian BMWs don't get adaptive headlights (which swivel when you turn, and adjust many other things) which also add cornering lights at low speeds, and the inner projectors contain the cornering lamps.
Looks like the upcoming facelift for the 3 gets adaptive headlights as an option while Bi-Xenons as standard equipment.

source
Old 22nd August 2015, 13:29   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Hi araje,

Hey 4x4addict - first of all congrats on your new set of wheels. I really wanted the sparkling brown color but it was not available when I was doing my booking.
As Akshay said, the inner lights are dummy on xenon headlights. The other ones are bi-xenons and make it up for hi and low.
Only LED ones on BMW have all lights.

I am currency working with BimmerTech guys here in the US to see what can I do back home. They have an amazing line up for X3 retrofits. Unfortunately they won't be able to do complimentary installations as they cannot get to my car here 😀.

In the meanwhile the car is in storage mode since May. BMW guys gave me a step procedure to follow which is what they generally do with their cars as well

Akshay - congrats on your M Sport wheel. How did you get it installed ? And coded? Did you approach BMW or was it a DYI thing? It looks amazing by the way.

Last edited by manson : 5th September 2015 at 13:34. Reason: Please avoid back to back posts by using the edit tab whilst posting within an interval of 20 minutes.
Old 22nd August 2015, 19:45   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by super.cars View Post
Looks like the upcoming facelift for the 3 gets adaptive headlights as an option while Bi-Xenons as standard equipment.

source
The source is wrong. As far as I know the lci f30 has only halogens and LEDs. No xenons at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Akshay - congrats on your M Sport wheel. How did you get it installed ? And coded? Did you approach BMW or was it a DYI thing? It looks amazing by the way.
Hey, got it installed at an accommodating BMW dealer, and managed to even get them to do the wiring for me. It feels great, and it is something which has to be done. The paddles are just lovely.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks