Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2016, 14:39   #61
BHPian

Re: My White Stallion - BMW X3 20D xDrive. A Q3 owner speaks

So.. its been a while since I came back to my thread.
A couple of things have happened.

1. I purchased Navdy. I just couldnt get Navinit Motors to give me a reliable answer for a retrofit upgrade and most importantly they said since this is not under their license so it might void warranty.

2. Car due to for 2nd service. I was out of India for a while so have only done 16K so far. My car was stationary for about 10months using the shutdown procedure recommended by the technicians and on international forums.
To my surprise the car started in the first button push - wow, didnt expect that. I obviously had a battery warning but it went off after 2 days.

3. Got a ceramic coat protection on the car body. Really helps.

4. Got a small chip(1mm) on the nose with a stone that came flying from a lorry in front

I drove to Goa last week with Navdy. will post a detailed review by this week.
Old 10th February 2017, 15:32   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
1. I purchased Navdy.
I drove to Goa last week with Navdy. will post a detailed review by this week.
Hi
Can you please give your feedback and experience with Navdy.
I am eager to get one and your feedback will be really helpful!
Old 26th May 2017, 20:45   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

How are you enjoying your X3. I fabricated a box to put over the space saver spare to keep my luggage straight.
Attached Thumbnails
My White Stallion - BMW X3 20D xDrive. A Q3 owner speaks-sparecover.jpg  

4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 16:49   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
How are you enjoying your X3. I fabricated a box to put over the space saver spare to keep my luggage straight.
Doesn't it rattle? The space saver does take up space, but I've always managed to store luggage beside it or over it. I think you are losing out more space by placing the fabricated piece in your boot.

BTW its time to replace rear brake pads in my car @ 23,000 kms. iDrive says 1,000 kms to go.
Old 28th May 2017, 01:40   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Doesn't it rattle? The space saver does take up space, but I've always managed to store luggage beside it or over it. I think you are losing out more space by placing the fabricated piece in your boot.
It doesn't rattle. I wanted a flat floor, that's why I got this contraption done, but as you said, I do loose out on space. Maybe, I should just try to just load up stuff over the spare.

Quote:
BTW its time to replace rear brake pads in my car @ 23,000 kms. iDrive says 1,000 kms to go.
Strangely my rear pads are also wearing out faster than my front. However, at 20K kms, the computer says 18K for front and 11K for rear.
Old 28th May 2017, 08:35   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Strangely my rear pads are also wearing out faster than my front. However, at 20K kms, the computer says 18K for front and 11K for rear.
In my car the computer said 20,000 kms to go up until 2000 kms ago when suddenly it dropped to 3,000 kms and since then its been progressing downwards linearly. For the front pads it says 30,000 kms to go, but now I know its going to drop suddenly one fine day .

Rear pads wearing off faster I believe is a BMW thing, since most of their cars run a rear brake bias in order to prevent nose dive on braking. My car sees mostly high speed runs on the highway and I believe the brakes are used frequently by the stability system.
Old 28th May 2017, 11:47   #67
BHPian

Quote:
In my car the computer said 20,000 kms to go up until 2000 kms ago when suddenly it dropped to 3,000 kms and since then its been progressing downwards linearly. For the front pads it says 30,000 kms to go, but now I know its going to drop suddenly one fine day .

Rear pads wearing off faster I believe is a BMW thing, since most of their cars run a rear brake bias in order to prevent nose dive on braking. My car sees mostly high speed runs on the highway and I believe the brakes are used frequently by the stability system.
It's worth keeping an eye on the pad depth manually as well once in a while
The sensor is only on one pad per axle and while pads on an axle typically wear out evenly, a visual check takes only a few minutes

On a side note, pad replacements is one of those things where the price delta between ordering pads and getting them replaced vs getting it done at A.S.S. is very large so if your pads are due for a replacement, it may be worth checking out the prices for OEM pads with a dependable store
Old 28th May 2017, 16:31   #68
BHPian

Quote:
I would request you to reconsider keeping that fabricated shelf all the time in the boot.

If the car is rear ended, that thing would not give way and end up protruding the passenger compartment.

It is OK to store luggage on top of the space saver. Also, in case you are traveling with full luggage and you have to use the space saver, the full size wheel won't go underneath that contraption. You will end up finding a way to fit the luggage, the fabrication and the full size wheel in the boot. Not easy.
BeamerBoy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 18:08   #69
BHPian

Quote:
You can also stand/lean the spare against the side if you are placing luggage in the boot, that will let you use the flat floor space; and strategically placed luggage can stop the tyre from moving around.
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 14:12   #70
BHPian

Hi guys,
There is a 2012 BMW X3 in the market which has run about 185000 kms. The car belongs to a company and has been well maintained and serviced at the showrooms only. The offer price is very tempting and the car is in scratchless condition and the interior is also very neat and dosent show the age of the vehicle.
I want the experts to advice me if it's safe to buy it considering that it has run 185000 kms. My concerns are about the life of its engine and tranny and the problems that may crop up if I buy it. Will I have to incur heavy expenses in future even though it has good service history or will it run trouble free for another one lakh kms or so. Kindly advice me.
Old 15th July 2017, 21:48   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
Hi guys,
There is a 2012 BMW X3 in the market which has run about 185000 kms. The car belongs to a company and has been well maintained and serviced at the showrooms only. The offer price is very tempting and the car is in scratchless condition and the interior is also very neat and dosent show the age of the vehicle.
I want the experts to advice me if it's safe to buy it considering that it has run 185000 kms. My concerns are about the life of its engine and tranny and the problems that may crop up if I buy it. Will I have to incur heavy expenses in future even though it has good service history or will it run trouble free for another one lakh kms or so. Kindly advice me.
That is far too much mileage. Avoid it. At 185000 there will be major maintenance coming up and it wont be cheap.
Old 16th July 2017, 10:54   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
Hi guys,
There is a 2012 BMW X3 in the market which has run about 185000 kms.
t. Will I have to incur heavy expenses in future even though it has good service history or will it run trouble free for another one lakh kms or so. Kindly advice me.
I would probably pay no more than 4 lakhs and factor in 10 lakhs for expenses. You will also perhaps never be able to sell it at 2.5 lakh kms etc

I doubt that it will be running like a good x3 should, please do a test drive of the present generation x3 to get a feel for what a good x3 will be running like - I drove a current generation x1 and it was horrible (likely due to poor maintenance of the test drive car) , while the x3 was excellent.

The acceleration usually is still good, but braking issues, suspension issues, etc creep in especially when not in a straight line
vivekrvcse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 12:38   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekrvcse View Post
I would probably pay no more than 4 lakhs and factor in 10 lakhs for expenses. You will also perhaps never be able to sell it at 2.5 lakh kms etc
Well Said. Many people buy used older german machines not realizing a major repair can cost double of what was paid for the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekrvcse View Post
I doubt that it will be running like a good x3
Not necessarily. A well maintained engine can easily clock 2 lakhs miles not even kilometers.
Old 29th August 2017, 10:56   #74
BHPian

I was driving my X3 when a error code popped up, Chassis- continue journey at moderate speed.
The car is inthe service center from 5 days and they said the ECU has failed. Remember my car is just 25k kms done, 3 years old. I have the maintenance package on the car and they are asking me to pay 62k plus other things for this part. Also it will take time to come. Car is at BMW bavaria motors pune who by far are cheats as Ive seen with my previous experiences. What should I do? Can the ECU fail so soon? Can they charge me despite having paid 3 lakhs for the inclusive maintenance package?
Service advisor says that in the car the electronics can either last really long or they can conk off unpredictable, so much for reliability lol.
Old 29th August 2017, 11:21   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash2424 View Post
I was driving my X3 when a error code popped up, Chassis- continue journey at moderate speed.
The car is inthe service center from 5 days and they said the ECU has failed. Remember my car is just 25k kms done, 3 years old. I have the maintenance package on the car and they are asking me to pay 62k plus other things for this part. Also it will take time to come. Car is at BMW bavaria motors pune who by far are cheats as Ive seen with my previous experiences. What should I do? Can the ECU fail so soon? Can they charge me despite having paid 3 lakhs for the inclusive maintenance package?
Service advisor says that in the car the electronics can either last really long or they can conk off unpredictable, so much for reliability lol.
You should try for some goodwill. Thats why one should pad up on extended warranties!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks