Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2016, 11:05   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Review: 2015 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
And you thought Fortuner was huge?
Isuzu does a better job at that and more at 13lac!
Guess, people who buy fortuners in hordes are looking for something beyond how big it is. I thought Isuzu was something like 16+ lakhs on the road?
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 21:29   #182
BHPian

Quote:
The issue appears something else, skimming of discs, but you already have had a disc change. You might show your Fortuner to any our BHPians driving another example and they may be of some help here. I do sometimes drive a 4X4 MT but brake pads are lasting beyond 40K and there are no noise as yet.
Quote:
A practice that I diligently follow is to downshift to D4 n then to 3 while slowing down this using the engine braking to assist me in reducing the load on the brakes.
Quote:
Brake pads changed twice in 30K kms does not look good. My Fortuner is 6 years old with 92K kms on odo and still continuing on original brake pads. The brake lining is 10mm thick and even after so many kms and countless extreme hill trips (read ladakh spiti) the lining now measures 4mm.
Hello all,
First of all, my apologies for replying super super late. I was occupied in some work.

About the issue with car, I tried almost everything suggested by you people except of showing it to another BHPian. It still persists and I have decided to live with it. The car has clocked around 55xxx kms and the brake pads have been changed thrice. No matter which toyota dealership i visit, all of them say that its perfectly normal for a 4x4 auto fortuner because of its heavy weight and automatic tranny. So, I have decided to live with it till I change the car. Thank you all though for your valuable suggestions.
Old 8th January 2017, 21:01   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush46 View Post
Hello all,
First of all, my apologies for replying super super late. I was occupied in some work.

About the issue with car, I tried almost everything suggested by you people except of showing it to another BHPian. It still persists and I have decided to live with it. The car has clocked around 55xxx kms and the brake pads have been changed thrice. No matter which toyota dealership i visit, all of them say that its perfectly normal for a 4x4 auto fortuner because of its heavy weight and automatic tranny. So, I have decided to live with it till I change the car. Thank you all though for your valuable suggestions.
Piyush
Your car is no exception
Many 4×4 autobox Fortuners are having worn out Brake pads within 10000 to 15000kms.
Workshop guys say it is common due to auto box

What I fail to understand that when the autobox Fortuner is only 30 kgs heavier than the manual ,why should they wear off so quickly

Can someone please clarify
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2017, 21:09   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post

Engine braking. The MT provides a lot of engine braking, the AT can't provide the same amount of engine braking. If all service personnel say that wearing of brakes at 15k kms is common, you have to live with it or upgrade your braking hardware.
landcruiser123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 22:54   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Same reason given by service advisor at DSK Toyota when he showed me completely worn-out brake pads of my Fortuner 4x4 AT during the regular 30K service. They were 7mm as measured during 20K service (Standard is 11mm). I had noticed that steering had started to shake on sudden high-speed braking. Not sure if this was related to brake pads but this went away after replacing the brake pads.
Old 14th January 2017, 23:17   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Piyush

Your car is no exception

Many 4×4 autobox Fortuners are having worn out Brake pads within 10000 to 15000kms.

What I fail to understand that when the autobox Fortuner is only 30 kgs heavier than the manual ,why should they wear off so quickly

The brakes wearing off soon is not because of added 30 kgs but it has a lot to do with the way these cars are driven. On signals people usually never put them in neutral, and instead keep them in the D mode while keeping the brakes applied which IMHO is the root cause for faster wear of brake pads in any AT car.
samyakmodi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2017, 04:38   #187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On signals people usually never put them in neutral, and instead keep them in the D mode while keeping the brakes applied which IMHO is the root cause for faster wear of brake pads in any AT car.
I am not sure if holding AT using brakes can make brakes wear fast as this is default functionality in many European cars including BMW/ Mercedes and an average life of 30000 Km is more of a norm on most of the BMW's I owned. Similarly, brake pads on my new Endeavour are fine and we have done more than 25000 Km
Old 15th January 2017, 08:05   #188
AAD
BHPian

I believe there is another factor causing faster brake wear.

The torque in the automatic version is higher by 5% as compared to the manual version ( 36 Nm vs 34 nm IIRC). Also the idling speed is perhaps higher by 50 rpm.

Combination of the above and the fact that Fortuner develops peak torque at mere 1400 rpm means that at idling the engine is already generating about 80% of peak torque.

I have noticed the surge with which the vehicle moves ahead when you slot into D and release the brakes.

When we resort to braking, the engine rpm drops to idling speed but due to the fact that idling is at a slightly higher rpm, there is greater amount of torque that is still propelling the vehicle ahead, which the brakes have to overcome.

This condition is not present in the Manual hence I believe the brakes wear out faster in the automatic Fortuner.

I also own the Ecosport A/T and the vehicle just about crawls when the gear is shifted into D mode which means that the brakes don't need extra bite to stop the vehicle as compared to the Fortuner.

The above scenario should be true for most Diesel automatics and it would be interesting for me to know how far my hypothesis holds true.
AAD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2017, 12:48   #189
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I am not sure if holding AT using brakes can make brakes wear fast as this is default functionality in many European cars including BMW/ Mercedes and an average life of 30000 Km is more of a norm on most of the BMW's I owned. Similarly, brake pads on my new Endeavour are fine and we have done more than 25000 Km
No, it cant result in brake wear if there is no brake binding.

Also, knowing you, you are an experienced AT and a mature driver, unlike a lot of others on the road. I've seen new Endys having their brake pads replaced in 15k kms.
Old 8th March 2018, 21:27   #190
BHPian

Re: Review: 2015 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by leprechaun View Post
Hey all, the navigation SD card was flicked from the car, could be the valet guys not sure, this is the second time it's happening to me! The first time on my MMI device and now on the Tfort! Anyway, I visited the Toyota service center and found out that the map card costs a whopping 8K!. Just wanted to know if anyone has come up with an alternative solution to replace the card??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Could it not be cloned/mirror image copied from someone else's card?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Yes, most likely. If it does not work, check if you can change the complete system to some newer generation with Android Auto/ Carplay. I never trust inbuilt navigation. If nothing works out better forgot SD card, find a good holder and plonk in any unused smartphone with Sim.
interesting matter! did you found a solution to this ? pls let know.

just found https://toyota.garmin.com/toyota/ : not sure if this is for India, or Update or even Restore data on a new SD card, check it.
also found maybe for PH maps : https://goo.gl/wZ9ZYN :

or anyone else try to Update maps on the system ? who is OEM for this gadget in car ?

Last edited by pcpranav : 8th March 2018 at 21:32.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 01:14   #191
AAD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
interesting matter! did you found a solution to this ? pls let know.

just found https://toyota.garmin.com/toyota/ : not sure if this is for India, or Update or even Restore data on a new SD card, check it.
also found maybe for PH maps : https://goo.gl/wZ9ZYN :

or anyone else try to Update maps on the system ? who is OEM for this gadget in car ?

The navigation system on the Fortuner is powered by MapmyIndia. You can go on their website and look for store where you can buy the SD card for your navigation. The approx cost iirc is about 3.5K. You can call up their service helpline and they should be able to assist you.

I was exploring to upgrade my SD card so I did establish contact with them to get the details but I guess, Google maps on my phone made me lazy so did not pursue it further with vigour.

Trust this helps.

Cheers
AAD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 11:53   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
The navigation system on the Fortuner is powered by MapmyIndia. You can go on their website and look for store where you can buy the SD card for your navigation. The approx cost iirc is about 3.5K. You can call up their service helpline and they should be able to assist you.

I was exploring to upgrade my SD card so I did establish contact with them to get the details but I guess, Google maps on my phone made me lazy so did not pursue it further with vigour.

Trust this helps.

Cheers
few days back I spoke to Toyota SVC during my vehicle service, he said roughly 14K for that SD-Card - that is very expensive, surely drop that route.

Today I called MapMyIndia helpline - they said can offer card only via Toyota and not retail sales! I asked about technical compatibility, agent said in most cases its compatible as they do give MMI card to Toyota, but only directly and they are not authorized to sell in retail or via normal dealers.
I even said Toyota quoting 14K whereas on MMI Online side its ~4K, if I can buy directly online will that work - agent said they are not sure and hence only via Toyota!

My Fortuner is a 2015 model, on the ICE device a small number "100485" is written. Can you please confirm if THIS at 3.9K would work ??

Otherwise, another route I would later explore, go to some junkyard (like Kurla auto market) and somehow locate the card from accident vehicle.
Old 15th April 2018, 17:38   #193
AAD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
few days back I spoke to Toyota SVC during my vehicle service, he said roughly 14K for that SD-Card - that is very expensive, surely drop that route.

Today I called MapMyIndia helpline - they said can offer card only via Toyota and not retail sales! I asked about technical compatibility, agent said in most cases its compatible as they do give MMI card to Toyota, but only directly and they are not authorized to sell in retail or via normal dealers.
I even said Toyota quoting 14K whereas on MMI Online side its ~4K, if I can buy directly online will that work - agent said they are not sure and hence only via Toyota!

My Fortuner is a 2015 model, on the ICE device a small number "100485" is written. Can you please confirm if THIS at 3.9K would work ??

Otherwise, another route I would later explore, go to some junkyard (like Kurla auto market) and somehow locate the card from accident vehicle.

Hi Pranav,

Its been a while since I last checked so give me some time and I will re check as I too am more keen on an updated satellite based navigation on my Fortuner.

Cheers
Old 5th June 2018, 17:20   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
Hi Pranav,

Its been a while since I last checked so give me some time and I will re check as I too am more keen on an updated satellite based navigation on my Fortuner.

Cheers
sorry to push you, if you got any update on the SD-Card ?
thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 13:59   #195
AAD
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have a Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT 2015 model and am keen to install rear differential lock on my vehicle. I believe that the South African & Australian models did come with this feature and I am guessing that it should be possible to source the required parts and have them retro fitted.

I will appreciate if any of you could throw more light on the above query as to whether it is possible and if so, how to go about it?

Appreciate your help.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks