Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2015, 21:45   #16
BHPian

re: Review: 2015 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Automatic

Fantastic review Tushar. Most other Bhpians have echoed most of my feelings regarding the 4x4 automatic Fortuner. It is a case of too little, too late. I have lost count of the number of times I have emailed and spoken to Toyota requesting for this version of the Fortuner over the past years, to which the reply had always been a business-like no. This is perhaps the last revision to this 2005 era Fortuner before it is replaced. However, make no mistake, this and all other versions of the Fortuner will continue to sell well till the day its made. Infact, in our region, this version has a four month waiting period.

I will be buying this version of the Fortuner too, as there is simply no alternative for the type of use I have in mind. The Pajero Sport comes close but the sales, parts and service network pales in front of the Fortuner. I will actually be using the 4x4 capabilities of the Fortuner on many occasions.

I sincerely dislike the dark alloys though, which give it a permanently dirty look. On another note, the lacking in the ride quality is not that major an issue. It is a known fact in most markets the Fortuner is sold in, and a good set of aftermarket shock absorbers and coil springs from the likes of OME, Ironman, Amada Xtreme etc will transform the ride quality.

Here's hoping the next gen Fortuner fixes all the shortcomings of the current version and most importantly offers a lovely interior NOT shared with the Innova!
ashnd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 22:13   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Now with the above points please tell me what a person who is looking to visit difficult to reach areas with his/her extended family is supposed to be buying. As you yourself have said many times the value of peace of mind, please advice.

Regards.
That's true. When it comes to off road the Fortuner is a better choice than the Santa Fe.

But the santa Fe also has AWD and can definitely reach difficult to reach areas. It just won't be able to tackle proper off road terrain.

But the question is how many Fortuners actually see off road terrain? Toyota sells more than 1500 Fortuners monthly. I bet not even 10% will see offroad.

Too many compromises you need to make just for occasional trips to difficult to reach places.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 22:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A small doubt regarding traction control. Does Indian Fortuner come with traction control? Because thai site mentions it as a separate entity other than VSC.
Yes it does. I am quoting the following line from the review

Buttons for the rear A/C and VSC (vehicle stability control). Pressing the VSC button once deactivates only traction control. Press and hold to deactivate VSC fully. Warning lights appear when these electronic safety aids have been deactivated:
hondadude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 22:38   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnd View Post
I will be buying this version of the Fortuner too, as there is simply no alternative for the type of use I have in mind. The Pajero Sport comes close but the sales, parts and service network pales in front of the Fortuner. I will actually be using the 4x4 capabilities of the Fortuner on many occasions.

Here's hoping the next gen Fortuner fixes all the shortcomings of the current version and most importantly offers a lovely interior NOT shared with the Innova!
Think we are in the same boat. Many would say that XUV is a value proposition, but personally after two major breakdowns in my Scorpio, I am bit reluctant to go above 12 to 13 Lakhs On the Road for a Mahindra Product. The Fortuner on the other hand, is build to last.

I too hope that the new version comes with some good interior updates...
Old 10th February 2015, 22:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
That's true. When it comes to off road the Fortuner is a better choice than the Santa Fe.

But the santa Fe also has AWD and can definitely reach difficult to reach areas. It just won't be able to tackle proper off road terrain.

But the question is how many Fortuners actually see off road terrain? Toyota sells more than 1500 Fortuners monthly. I bet not even 10% will see offroad.

Too many compromises you need to make just for occasional trips to difficult to reach places.
Can Santa Fe seat 7 people in any level of comfort? The answer is NO.

Forget Santa Fe being taken for offroading it's suspension is not even taking bad roads properly.

See here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3636270

Whether majority of people buying Fortuner are actually taking it offroad or not is an entirely different argument. You can't make that argument and then suggest Santa Fe. I am perfectly OK with Pajero Sport or even Rexton as an alternative, absolutely no Santa Fe or current generation Endeavour for that matter.

I hope you got my point.
Old 10th February 2015, 22:57   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Whether majority of people buying Fortuner are actually taking it offroad or not is an entirely different argument. You can't make that argument and then suggest Santa Fe. I am perfectly OK with Pajero Sport or even Rexton as an alternative, absolutely no Santa Fe or current generation Endeavour for that matter.

I hope you got my point.
I did get your point and I wasn't even disputing it. If you read mine and GTO's post it was clearly mentioned for the 90% of people who are urban dwellers and whose driving is primarily on tarmac the Fortuner makes no sense.

For the 10% of buyers who are actually buying it for it's off road prowess, it may make sense but even then the new Endeavour is around the corner and so is the all new Fortuner in 2016.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 23:10   #22
BHPian

The Toyota Fortuner really has an edge in offroading amongst it's rivals and the toyota ASS is always a big plus .
Have a look it this
nishchal316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 23:21   #23
Team-BHP Support

With black alloys and black interiors, this Fortuner has everything that a budding politician or a first gen real estate businessman needs in a SUV.

The fact of the matter is, even at 33 Lacs, there is no other alternative if you want a butch 7 seater reliable (read Japanese) SUV. Mitsubishi and Isuzu have very tiny footprint (number of dealers) to offer a credible alternative to the Fortuner.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 23:54   #24
BHPian

Great review!
But, personally i feel that the Fortuner will sell the numbers which Toyota intends to sell. The reason why there have been so many on the road is because of Toyota's tank like build and reliability.
But, i'm eagerly waiting for Ford to launch the new Endeavour!
This would definitely spice up things in this segment though.

P.S>Hold back those of you buying the Fortuner or the Pajero Sport!
Old 11th February 2015, 00:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Really nice review!

Things i liked:
New interiors. I love the black interiors as the beige is very bright on my eyes.

Hates:
Rear drum brake.
Pricing as usual!

Note to other makers: You have a great chance in the 15-25lac range. Do something to capture this market.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 02:03   #26
Team-BHP Support

Had posted this in the scoop thread earlier. Below were my impressions after checking out the new 4*4 AT. I do use a 2013 4*2 AT quite often as well.

1. 34L+ OTR for the 4*4 AT in Bangalore. Feels too much. And I'm not even talking of the 2.5L variant pricing!

2. Wheel wells dont seem to have any insulation. Is an eyesore now that the alloys are grey finish.

(Below features I miss in the 34L Fortuner AT, compared to our 9L Hyundai Xcent AT. )

3. No true keyless entry still!

4. No foldable keyfob either.

5. No start-stop button.

6. No auto-dimming IRVMs.

7. Doesn't look like the ORVMs auto fold when the car is locked. Electric fold is present though.

8. No Reverse parking sensors.

9. Reverse camera is present, but the display on the headunit is nowhere close to the crisp display on the Hyundai ECM IRVM. No guidelines as well for the camera.

10. No manual mode for the AT. Although the torque more than makes up for it, I sometimes wish if I could hold the gears.

Adding the worst ride quality I've experienced in a car recently, and the poor (for the price) interiors- it's too much of a compromise unless you are going to use the full off road potential. Personally I wouldn't buy one. (Not that I could afford one anyways. )

PS- All those who plan to buy one- ask for the accessory 'RAT MESH' to be installed, unless you want to see rats breeding inside your glove box. Known issue where rats/ squirrels can enter the bay through the a/c housing, but Toyota thinks such a mesh worth 1.4k should only be an accessory on a 34L vehicle.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 03:36   #27
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 11th February 2015 at 15:39.
grand@rao is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th February 2015, 03:46   #28

Good review Tushar. Everyone was waiting for the Fortuner 4x4 from long time however, the price is really a dampener. It might still sail through with the real estate guys, it would be a soaring point for most who would like to upgrade to AT.

I think Toyota is becoming complacent with Fortuner as its already a hot cake for them and they feel that it would remain so however, I feel the landscape would change with the new Endeavor. Toyota has such a fantastic opportunity in upgrading all the pain points which has been discussed already but they missed the bus.

Hope, Toyota becomes a bit more respectful towards the money charged and bring in at least the minimum upgrades like, Keyless entry, Rear Disc breaks, 6 airbags and good quality shock absorbers.
Old 11th February 2015, 07:34   #29

Just wondering, has any one checked the price for Santa Fe? It looks delicate. If we compare a 3 year old Santa Fe with a 3 year old Fortuner, which will be in a better shape?

Last edited by GTO : 11th February 2015 at 15:41. Reason: Typo
Old 11th February 2015, 11:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

Fortuner's success is also due, in large part, to the incompetence and/or unwillingness of other manufacturers to spring up an alternative. New Endeavour is taking forever to arrive. Wonder what more Ford is waiting for. These are the only two automatic SUVs available under/around 30L. Tata doesn't know what automatic means and M&M has taken a step backward by withdrawing At variant it had on older Scorpio. And I have been hearing about XUV 500 automatic since my birth.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks