Team-BHP - Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/160648-our-white-knight-hyundai-grand-i10-asta-o-1-2-a.html)

From an i20 to a Grand i10 - when great after sales service was the sole criteria in deciding the next car purchase
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-first-pic.jpg

Car : Hyundai Grand i10
Trim : Asta(O) {Option}
Colour : Pure White
Engine : Four Cylinder 1197 CC Kappa Petrol (with dual VTVT)
Year of Manufacture : 2014 (November)
Dealership : Advaith Hyundai, Kuntikan, Mangalore
Date of Booking : December 18, 2014
Date of Delivery : December 26, 2014

It's not often that one decides to buy a car without looking at other cars from other manufacturers. My choice of sticking with Hyundai and buying the Grand i10 was one such decision. I did not even consider cars from Maruti,Honda,Toyota etc when deciding the purchase solely because of the great after service received from Advaith Hyundai, Mangalore. I did not even visit or consider visitng the other Hyundai dealer in Mangalore - Kanchana Hyundai. I may be called stupid for it but I had my own reasons for the decision.

Background:
Our previous car was a first gen Silky Beige 2009 Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2 Petrol(Ownership thread at this link)

It was bought in September 2009 from Om Hyundai Junagadh, Gujarat. At that time, I called a small town named Veraval as my home, which is around 85 kms south of Junagadh.

For a major part of the i20’s ownership period , which was quite troublesome and which was largely due to the poor service experience with Om Hyundai, Junagadh and the awful i20 Steering Rattle issues, we were sure we won’t buy a Hyundai ever again. The poor experience had even forced us to go to court and fight the issues legally (refer to the my i20 thread above).

Then in late 2012, we shifted to Mangalore, Karnataka and got the i20 transported here in Early 2013.
The car was then serviced by Advaith Hyundai,Kuntikan, Mangalore. The service experience was great and I never had any complaints against Advaith. Issues with the car were addressed to professionally and I did not have to take the car to the workshop with the same issue again(exactly opposite of the experience I had with Om Hyundai, Junagadh). I found Advaith service personnel to be competent, professional, helpful and courteous.

The i20 was getting old and that was the reason to sell it off. In 2nd week of December 2014, we decided to sell the car and approached Advaith Hyundai,Mangalore to possibly exchange it and have a look at possible replacements for the i20. We zeroed in on the Grand i10. The i20 was evaluated and the exchange price offered by them was far below my expectation(Rs 2.70 lakhs - primarily because she was an out of state car, eventhough we had the registration changed to Karnataka's). They however arranged for a potential direct buyer and the deal was done at Rs 3.10 lakhs for the i20(again slightly below my expectation and as she was out of state car card was put forward again).

Why Hyundai again:
I insisted that i20’s replacement had to be a Hyundai largely due to the fact that I had a nearly flawless service experience with Advaith Hyundai, Mangalore and having absolutely no complaints against them at all. The service experience with Advaith convinced me that it is not the brand that matters but the after sales service that makes or breaks a car manufacturer. At no cost, did I want to get into another Om Hyundai type experience by opting for another brand, whose service standards I was not aware of. I guess the Hindi Idiom "Doodh ka jala, chhaachh bhi phook phook kar peeta hai" fits me and the situation I was in perfectly.

Had I still been in Veraval, Gujarat, surely I would not have opted for a Hyundai again because of the service experience I had with Om Hyundai, Junagadh.

Cars Considered:
It had to be a Hyundai petrol and we placed top most priority on safety and Airbags and ABS were to be a must in the car that we chose. Accordingly we considered the following.

1. Grand i10 Asta(O)
2. Xcent SX(O)
3. Elite i20 Asta

*In the Grand i10 & Xcent, Airbags & ABS are available only in the Asta(O) trim. Diamond cut Alloys are another additional feature on the Asta(O) trims

• Elite i20 – Never liked the looks of the new i20 and on seeing it close up, struck it off the list. The two month waiting period for the Asta trim didn’t help the i20’s cause either
• Grand i10/Xcent – The things that impressed me most about the Grand i10(and the Xcent) was the rear leg room and the ease of getting in and out. Interior Cabin quality was good, but not as good as our old i20. However, seating three adults in the rear was a bit of a tight fit. The Xcent was essentially a Grand i10 with a boot along with Climate Control and rear parking camera. We were not going to need the boot much and could save more than a lakh on a car that had similar features, hence opted for the Grand i10 Asta(O). The On road price of Xcent SX(O) and i20 Asta(O) were almost same.

The first thing I tested during the TD was for the dreaded steering Rattle. If the issue existed in the Grand i10, the TD car having clocked decent number of miles, would have had it. Took the car on those kind of road patches where the old i20’s steering would rattle away to glory. Thankfully, the steering felt solid and not loose or rattly like the i20’s steering on those patches. I could hardly hear the engine sound inside the cabin, specially while accelerating. The pre-VTVT 1.2 Kappa engine in our old i20 produced this throaty growl while accelerating, which the VTVT 1.2 Kappa in the Grand i10 did not seem to have.

Features wise, except for the fully automatic climate control & outside temperature display, the Grand i10 Asta(O) had all the features of our i20 Asta. And so it was decided the Grand i10 Asta(O) 1.2 Petrol it would be. Advaith Hyundai had the car in stock and we had to only decide on the colour. On Road Price/ Discounts given (part of the December sales) are as below

Actual OTR Price:
Ex show room price - Rs 5,67,652
Insurance - Rs 13,444 (Opted for Bajaj Allianz)
Road Tax - Rs 88,215
Inc charges - Rs 8,430
Extended warranty(3rd year/60000 kms) - Rs 3,368
Total - Rs 6,81,109

Discounts:
Free Insurance (-) Rs 13,444
Loyalty Bonus (-) Rs 5,000 (for having a Santro as our second car)
Total (-) Rs 18,444

Net Price: Rs 6,62,665

Other Freebies given:
- Mud flaps(OEM)
- Underbody anti-rust coating
- Cabin mats (the four piece mat set was OEM but quite poor by OEM standards. Our old i20’s six piece OEM rubber cabin mats were thick and still looked good at the time of sale).Luckily our old i20’s 3D cabin mats were a near perfect fit on the Grand i10.
- Car Perfume( again quite poor and ineffective)
- Body Cover (Non-OEM and didn’t fit the car properly. No scoops for the rear view mirror & antenna on it and didn’t fit the car properly). Bought a OEM body cover from Advaith Hyundai a week later, which had scoops for the rear view mirror & antenna. My mistake for not having insisted on OEM body cover at the time of booking the car.
- Idol (Opted out) – Not an atheist, but I like the dashboard clean.
- Cabin PVC carpet matting(opted out)- was concerned about cabin panel rattles developing later. Hence opted out

Bidding Farewell to the i20/ Choosing the Colour for Grand i10:
Having sealed the deal for the i20 on December 18, 2014 afternoon, we decided to pay the booking amount of Rs 5000 to Advaith. That evening I went to the showroom with my dad and brother to decide on the colour for the Grand i10. In my mind, I had decided Silver, but White looked quite good and bright on the Grand i10. So we chose White, or Pure White as Hyundai calls it. They had the car in stock for immediate delivery but we wanted delivery on December 26th, 2014, which they agreed.

We rushed back home as the new owner of the i20 was going to come later in the evening to take the car. I washed her for the last time and kept the car ready for the new owner. Wishing him the best, I handed over the keys to her new owner with moist eyes. Inspite of the troubles we faced in the car, she stayed strong right till the end. At the time of handing over the i20 to the new owner, she has completed 5 years and 3 months and had clocked 54,321 kms.
Parting Shot:
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-i20-pt-shot.jpg

Congrats on your new ride Skanchan, wonderful review.

I just had one question. I know that driving dynamics has been improved in the Grand i10. Did you had any opportunity to drive it open highways.

Overall I would say good buy, wish you many happy miles with your Grand i10.

D-Day, December 26, 2014:
The car allotted to us was a November 2014 manufactured car. I did a quick PDI on the morning of November 26, 2014, the date of delivery.

Advaith Hyundai arranged for the RTO registration process and took the car to RTO, Mangalore for registration in the afternoon. We were told to come around 6 PM to take delivery the car.

We reached the showroom at around 6:15 PM and the found that the car was ready for delivery. Advaith Sales personnel were in the process of delivering other cars that were due to deliver that day.
The dealership - Advaith Hyundai, Mangalore:
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-dlroutside_1.jpg
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-dlroutside_2.jpg

Our turn finally, and full marks to Advaith Hyundai for making the delivery ceremony special. This was the first time we experienced such an elaborate delivery ceremony. Most of the staff, including the sales Manager, Mr Shivaprasad A S came in to congratulate us after the ceremonial key was handed over by our sales consultant, Mr Shariq. We were presented a box of chocolates and a framed photograph of the key being handing over to my Dad.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-chclts_wshes.jpg
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-cardday_1.jpg
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-cardday_2.jpg
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-cardday_3.jpg

With Mr Shariq, the sales consultant (that's me in the dark grey T shirt on the extreme left and my family)
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-shariq.jpg

With Mr Nikhil, the sales team leader
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-nikhil.jpg

With Mr Shivaprasad, the Sales Manager, who incidentally happens to be a bhpian. Mangalore bhpians now know whom to pester for a good deal ;)
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-shivaprasad.jpg

The White Knight parked in our Porch, taking the i20's place
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-cc_pkg.jpg

Took the car next morning to Nandaneshwar temple in Panambur, Mangalore for the Puja.

Initial Driving Impressions
The car isn't as fun or as involving to drive as the Swift. Coming from the first gen i20, I was expecting the same zero feedback steering. On the Grand i10, I felt the steering to be better than the i20.

Braking is good & felt sure thanks to the ABS. Initially I felt the braking to be a bit sharp and sudden, but learnt to adjust with it.

The engine is very quiet and I could hardly hear engine sound inside the cabin. Feels very smooth to drive. There is no harshness and the engine is free revving. I can't really comment on the pickup, as the engine is relatively now and it hasn't clocked many miles(around 1100 kms so far). But I felt it had decent pickup and the engine seemed more tuned for economy. Haven't really had to pushed the car hard and I really don't have the heart to do it, atleast not now, in the running-in period.

The ride quality is quite good, far better than our old i20 and possibly the i10, specially in the rear. It absorbed small bumps and potholes quite well, at which I pleasantly surprised.

The Tyres offer good grip levels. I could not hear any tyre road noise inside the cabin.

The nicely designed rear view mirrors offered good coverage.

Clutch feels light but I found the dash mounted gear shift to be a little notchy(compared to the smooth gearbox on the i20)

Kitna deti hai? - In the last two tank fulls, it returned an average of 14.5 & 15 kmpl with A/C on all the time.

Comfort , Interiors & Features
The Asta(O) comes equipped with ABS, dual front airbags, Push Button Engine Start/Stop(Pressing the engine start / stop button without the clutch first time activates audio & pressing it for the second time activates the Ignition mode. To start the engine, one has to depress the clutch and press the engine start/stop button), steering mounted Audio & Blue tooth telephony controls mated to a capable Audio system(plays CD, USB, FM/AM and has 1 GB internal storage memory), Electrically Adjustable Mirrors(which have integrated indicators), electrically foldable mirrors( which fold either when the car is locked or can be folded at the press of a button), Good Year 165/65 R14 tyres mounted on Diamond Cut 14" alloys. The car is also equipped with a security system with anti-theft alarm.

The nicely designed Dashboard. I found the Dash mounted gear shift to be a little notchy(compared to the smooth gearbox on the first gen i20).
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-dboard_1.jpg

Steering Mounted Audio Controls & Bluetooth Telephony controls on the nicely designed leather wrapped Steering Wheel. The Trip & Reset Buttons are for viewing/resetting the Speedometer trip meters. Bluetooth Telephony only allows to you to make or receive calls only when the car is stationary. I go another leather cover fitted for the steering wheel which looks clumsy bit does the job of protecting the underlying leather.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-settering-wheel.jpg

Bluetooth Telephony mic placed on the roof just to the left of the driver's head
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-btmic.jpg

Passenger side Airbag
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-dashboard_-pabag.jpg

Audio System & Manual A/C controls(no automatic climate control available)
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-auduiac.jpg

The USB & Mobile/ GPS Navigator Charging point below the A/C controls. There is enough space to keep a 5" mobile phone in the storage area.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-usb_chr-point.jpg

Illuminated speedometer(if it is in the ignition mode or after engine start).Its dims a bit when you turn the headlights on.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-speedo.jpg

A/C works quite well and cools the cabin quickly, the rear A/C vents also help in quick cooling of the cabin as well. It is welcome change from the first gen i20's poor A/C.
Rear A/C vent:
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-rerac.jpg

Front Seats have fixed head restraints. Found them to be reasonably comfortable, though I felt the under thigh support could have been a bit better.I miss a dead pedal/foot rest while driving. Hyundai should have provided a foot rest/dead pedal for driver comfort.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-fr-st.jpg

Driver's seat is height adjustable.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-fr-st-ht-adj.jpg

The rear seat is a comfortable place to be. Recline angle is comfortable and the rear seat is equipped with two adjustable head restraints(on Asta variant only). Legroom is quite good for a car of its size( and much better than our old i20). Its quite easy to get in and out from the rear seat but seating three mid sized adults is a bit of squeeze.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-rear_st.jpg

The car has a decent sized boot and has a boot lamp, but the rear seat does not have 60:40 split folding facility and misses out on the flexibility that such a facility offers.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-boot.jpg

The handbrake feels quite creaky, loose to operate and feels cheap( compared to our old i20)
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-hbrake.jpg

Tilt adjust lever for the Steering
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-strg_adjust.jpg

Driver's Console- Power window switches(Driver side auto up/down), Electric Adjust & Folding switches for the rear view Mirrors, Central Locking/Unlocking Switch. Window Up/Down Lock Switch.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-drv_csl.jpg

Glove box has a AC vent for cooling. It does not have partitions to keep the manual , CDs etc
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-glbox.jpg

Engine Start Stop Button. The car comes with a set of two smart keys. There is no ignition key hole(on Asta & Sportz trims) and you need to start the car with the engine start/stop button.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-engine-startstop.jpg

Smart Key(got silicone covers for them)
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-smt-key.jpg

Exteriors
Externally, the car looks quite good.Paint finish is top class.There are black rub rails on the doors. The car has a nice rear spoiler, rear wiper, defogger and Diamond Cut Alloys.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-sdie1.jpg
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-sdie2.jpg
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-sideview.jpg

Headlamp design is not flashy and look decent
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-hl1.jpg
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-hl2.jpg

Mirror mounted indicators on the RVMs. The indicator is visible to the vehicle behind you
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-rvmindi.jpg
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-rvmindi1.jpg

Fog lamps with a chrome ring around them
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-fog_lmp.jpg

There are two reversing lights in the tail lamps( no rear fog lamps though)
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-tl1.jpg

Two Reflectors are integrated on the rear bumper.
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-tl2.jpg

Rear Parking Sensor. It has audio warning only
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-rp-sensor.jpg

Chrome Door Handles. With lock/unlock request button on the driver's and passenger side door handles( as long as you have the smart key in your pocket, you can lock/unlock the car with a press of this button)
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-chrmdr-hdl.jpg

14" Diamond Cut Alloy
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-alloy.jpg

Spare Wheel is a not an alloy
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-sp-wheel.jpg

The small antenna
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-antenna.jpg

The mirrors automatically close/open on locking/unlocking the car.
Unlocked-Mirrors Open:
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-dr1.jpg

Locked- Mirrors closing
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-dr2.jpg

Locked-Mirrors Closed
Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2-dr3.jpg

1. Very comfortable ride. Was surprised how the car absorbed small bumps
2. Extremely Quiet & Refined Engine. Not exactly a rocket to drive but I expect it to be fuel efficient. The 1.2 Kappa on our old i20 consistently returned an average of 13 kmpl, so I expect the same engine in its new avatar be more fuel efficient on the Grand i10. In the last two tank fulls, it returned an average of 14.5 & 15 kmpl( with A/C on all the time in a mix of city & sedate highway driving). I expect it will improve further with time.
3. Pretty powerful A/C, a hundred times better than the old i20’s A/C. It does the job of cooling the cabin quickly, the rear A/C vents too help in keeping the cabin cool.
4. Steering mounted audio controls – a boon to have all the audio controls on your fingertips. Blue tooth telephony will work only when the car is stationary – a safety feature.
5. Decent amount of legroom in the rear for a car of its size.

Dislikes:
1. Lack of Foot Rest/Dead Pedal - Having got used to resting my left foot on the foot rest/dead pedal on the i20, I sorely miss it on the Grand i10 and it cannot be fitted as an accessory. Even a Santro has it, but not the Grand i10!!!
2. Reversing sensors have audio warning only, there’s no way one can tell how far the obstacle is from the rear bumper and I find it almost useless. A display unit showing the distance to obstacle/impact would have been quite useful. Beeps warn you of the distance to the obstacle. Slow beeps tell you that you are nearing the obstacle. An uninterrupted beep warns you that the obstacle is quite near(there is no way to know how far it is). This becomes an issue when you are trying to reverse into a tight parking slot at home, like ours. Refer to the video below that I made showing what I mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFrKc8oiLrg
There is still some distance to go before I stop completely yet the uninterrupted beep starts long before I actually stop.
I also noticed that the Maroon and Orange coloured cars had black reversing sensors. White and silver coloured cars had body coloured reversing sensors.
3. The rear seat does not have 60:40 split folding facility and misses out on the flexibility that it offers.
4. Lastly, an awful choice by Hyundai of naming the car as "Grand" i10. A different designation or dedicated name(like the Xcent has) would have been better than relating the car with the i10 brand. Something like "i10NG" ( Next Gen) would have been better in my opinion instead of Grand i10.

Features I wished The Grand i10 had:
1. Outside temperature display - I got so used to looking at it in the i20. I find the gear shift indicator almost useless for me. Had Hyundai opted for an Outside temperature display and/or Fuel Efficiency display instead of the gear shift indicator and Average Speed Display, it would have been much useful.
2. Foot Rest/Dead Pedal.
3. Auto Door Lock after 20 kmph( cannot be enabled either)
4. A longer seatbelt reminder. The i20 seatbelt reminder buzzer, which would start buzzing after 20kmph and would keep buzzing for 100 seconds before turning off automatically( for both driver & front passenger) . It would force the driver and front passenger to put on the seatbelt. The Grand i10 seat belt reminder would buzz for just six seconds after engine start( if driver hasn’t put on the seat belt). Having driven the i20, it made me consciously put on the seat belt even while driving other cars and I wish Hyundai had continued the seatbelt warning buzzer timer (100 seconds)

Other points
- The single horn sounds too weak. At some point in the future, I will see the possibility of upgrading to a dual-tone horn at the workshop itself, to avoid warranty issues.
- Only the driver’s side window switch is illuminated and has auto down/up feature.
- The audio system sounds good, much better than our old i20.
- The diamond cut alloys look good, but I am not sure if scratches on the rim can be repaired/painted over to get the original finish(unlike regular silver coloured alloys).
- The car is equipped with an anti-theft alarm. An Alarm would sound, and the lights/indicators would flash.

First Service
The car went in for the first service on 10 Feb 2015 at Advaith Hyundai, Mangalore. Enquired whether auto lock could be enabled and a foot rest/dead pedal could be retrofitted. Got both answers in negative.
General check up was done and car handed back after washing.

Bill amount was Zero.

Thread moved from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing the report.

Its actually a good point you've focussed on, the parking sensors. It seems to be hindering the process of parking more than anything else, the unit has been poorly programmed. The continuous beep should not occur until the car is about 4 inches away from an obstacle, i.e really close. Until then it should be only quick pulsing beeps. I don't get why an almost perfect small car like this has been ruined by such shortcuts. Its better not to give any parking sensors at all as this car is easy enough to park.

Other things I wished were present in my brief test drive were foldable top handles, a front armrest (as the gear shifter isn't ideally placed) and 60-40 split rear seats in the rear as standard. These would've made it a perfect car for crowded cities. Also I find that when parking in tight spots the auto unfolding side mirrors will be a worry.

Other than that the fit/finish & build of the car is segment leading. It drives like a mature car and the engine is pin drop silent. The pickup is slightly better than i20 but not quite enough. As you mentioned left foot rest is compulsory, as also front adjustable neck rests & auto door locks (Euro version has them). If they sold Santro with all those useful features at affordable prices of under 5 L, why not an almost 7 lakh Gi10? That said congrats on the buy, hopefully you'll have a better experience with the brand this time around.

I've had the Gi10 for almost 10 months now, in the same spec as yours. I would agree and say it is value for money and a good well rounded package when you consider features, safety kit, ride, motor,price and build quality.
I personally felt the gears and drive got smoother after 2k kms. I had a Santro Xing before this and lost out on two things, dead pedal and adjustable head restraints for the driver and co-driver. It bugged me a lot initially, but I got used to it I guess.

Couple of corrections- You can make/receive calls and stream music via bluetooth while the car is in motion. It's only first time pairing of a phone which needs the car to be stationary.
The drivers window is only auto down. Not auto up. :)

As for the parking sensors,I find it quite convenient. I've never once felt they are overly intrusive. Maybe it's just about getting used to them. There are three kinds of beeps. Each of them signifies how far the obstacle is behind your rear bumper (Refer to the manual). The last uninterrupted beep is I think 12 inches and less. ( I'l have to check the manual).
During my initial days I backed up behind a car and got down three times to see how far back the car behind was when it beeped slowly, fast and uninterrupted. Just to familiarize myself with the system-never had an issue post that.

That being said-the video you have attached, to me it looks like there's something wrong. Possibly with the calibration of your sensors. Because, the the slow beeps are absent. It starts straight away with the faster beeps. In my car when the uninterrupted beep buzzes- it means just a few inches of room. You seem to have reversed a decent bit with the uninterrupted buzzer.

Could you share details of the smart key cover please. Also, the car has an alarm? I did not know. Got to check this out.

Enjoy your new car. :)

That's a beautiful car you have got there. Congrats
Hyundai's A.S.S. is really great. Even we own an i20 and an i10 and are totally satisfied with the cars.
Do post some photos of the rear seat. Can you accommodate 3 people at the back?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark.knight (Post 3645350)
Its actually a good point you've focused on, the parking sensors. It seems to be hindering the process of parking more than anything else, the unit has been poorly programmed.

Hi

I own a Grand i10 Diesel since october last year. Initially, even I thought that reverse parking sensor was useless but found it better, once I learnt more about it.

It operates in 3 stages. Beep sound, increased frequency beep sound and continuous beep. Stop when frequency of beep sound increases and your are safe. As you have rightly pointed out that continuous beep mean 4 inch gap and you would end up touching or hitting the obstacle.

I found this beep to be more useful than reverse camera on my Fortuner as without sound you may still end up hitting the obstacles. I have done so couple of times, no damage though as the first and foremost thing in reversing is to keep speed really low.

Beep without camera or digital display is safest as you concentrate on driving, while making good use of other human sense listening.

Congrats skanchan95 !!!
Nice review. It feels great to say this that I am a proud owner of the same car for almost 8 months now and I'm loving every bit of it.

The parking sensor does have some issues. In my experience I find the response to be a bit 'laggy'. It takes it's own sweet time to decipher the distance and changing the beep interval. If you reverse a bit faster, the beep changes from nothing to the continuous one directly. Sometimes it's slow beeps to continuous directly. All I did was started getting used to it. I made it a point to not trust the sounds much and rely on the 'guestimate' while in very tight spots. But for a wider space the sensors worked just perfect for me. I too think there can be some calibration issue and you might point out the same when you visit the ASS next time.

As far as the gear shifts are concerned, the 1st and 2nd do feel a bit notchy indeed. But 3rd one onward it's buttery smooth. But having said that I did on a couple of occasions found it difficult to engage the reverse gear. Had to get to neutral to retry. This happened at least 3-4 times till now.

BTW, I have the same questions as of Promit. This one has an alarm ???? :Shockked: Can you give some detailed scenarios on how to fire it? Also, can you please share the details of the silicone cover? They really look nice.

I hope you'd enjoy this little beauty as much as I do everyday. This one is really a keeper. Congrats once again. Drive safe and happy revving...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonHawk (Post 3644078)
Congrats on your new ride Skanchan, wonderful review.

I just had one question. I know that driving dynamics has been improved in the Grand i10. Did you had any opportunity to drive it open highways.

Overall I would say good buy, wish you many happy miles with your Grand i10.

Thank you. The car behaved well in the limited time that I drove on the highway.But I felt that may be broader tyres would improve the feel of cornering and changing lanes at higher speeds.

Quote:

Its actually a good point you've focussed on, the parking sensors. It seems to be hindering the process of parking more than anything else, the unit has been poorly programmed. The continuous beep should not occur until the car is about 4 inches away from an obstacle, i.e really close. Until then it should be only quick pulsing beeps. I don't get why an almost perfect small car like this has been ruined by such shortcuts. Its better not to give any parking sensors at all as this car is easy enough to park.

Exactly. That's why I said a small display unit showing the distance to the obstacle would have helped a lot.

Quote:

Also I find that when parking in tight spots the auto unfolding side mirrors will be a worry.

Its quite easy to work around that. Once you park the car, fold the mirrors and then lock the car. Next time when unlock the car, the mirrors will not fold open. It was quite thoughtful of Hyundai to have a system that overrides the default unlocking action if you have folded the mirrors first before locking the car.

Quote:

Other than that the fit/finish & build of the car is segment leading. It drives like a mature car and the engine is pin drop silent. The pickup is slightly better than i20 but not quite enough. As you mentioned left foot rest is compulsory, as also front adjustable neck rests & auto door locks (Euro version has them). If they sold Santro with all those useful features at affordable prices of under 5 L, why not an almost 7 lakh Gi10? That said congrats on the buy, hopefully you'll have a better experience with the brand this time around.

Agreed and thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by promit (Post 3645373)
Couple of corrections- You can make/receive calls and stream music via bluetooth while the car is in motion. It's only first time pairing of a phone which needs the car to be stationary.
The drivers window is only auto down. Not auto up. :)

I stand corrected. Years of using the i20's auto up feature on the driver's window made me ignore this fact.

Quote:

That being said-the video you have attached, to me it looks like there's something wrong. Possibly with the calibration of your sensors. Because, the the slow beeps are absent. It starts straight away with the faster beeps. In my car when the uninterrupted beep buzzes- it means just a few inches of room. You seem to have reversed a decent bit with the uninterrupted buzzer.

That's because the car was parked at a spot where the uninterrupted buzzer would start and I started record in the video and engaged reverse gear. As seen in the video, I reversed quite a bit after the buzzer's uninterrupted beep and that was the point I was trying to demonstrate and as dark.knight quite rightly said, the uninterrupted beep should sound only when the impact is imminent. However, its not a deal breaker for me or an issue that I would consider serious, just something to get used to I guess.

Quote:

Could you share details of the smart key cover please. Also, the car has an alarm? I did not know. Got to check this out.

Enjoy your new car. :)

Thanks. I got that cover from ebay.in. Look for "Grand i10 Xcent Key Silicone Cover".There are some cheap quality key covers available and I would recommend sticking to this retailer - http://mycarkey.in/

Quote:

Originally Posted by g_saunak (Post 3645879)
BTW, I have the same questions as of Promit. This one has an alarm ???? :Shockked: Can you give some detailed scenarios on how to fire it?

For example, if your doors are locked and the windows are rolled down, if you try and unlock the car from inside, the alarm triggers with continuous honks (as in peep, peep, peep...) Even I never knew this till it actually triggered :)

@skanchan95

Regarding your reversing issue: This is normal; there is nothing wrong with the sensor. In fact, the left-side rear sensor has accurately detected the wall which is very close to your left bumper corner, hence, it is cautioning you with continuous beeps while reversing. If there was a little more distance, you would hear intermittent beeps. Reverse sensors not necessarily detect objects only in the rear but also objects in the corners of the vehicle too.

I don't completely rely on these sensors while reversing, but I can safely tell you that they are very useful while indicating obstacles in the rear which you might at times miss while reversing.

Wish you several happy kilometres ahead.

Congrats skanchan95.
Wish you a lot of happy miles ahead with your WHITE KNIGHT!!

I have been owning a Gi10 Asta(O) 1.1 CRDi since almost 11 months. I have a doubt as to what happens if you walk away with the smart key in your pocket and the car in engine ON postion. I have experimented it a few times in a safe area just to see what would be the likely result of it. But all that happens is loud beep comes from the car and also in the instrument cluster a red light "KEY OUT" flashes. In such a scenario, any other person(for eg. a thief) can drive the car away and go off right? The thief will have a problem starting it again after switching off without the smart key I guess?:D But isn't this a security threat?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nishchal316 (Post 3645839)
That's a beautiful car you have got there. Congrats
Hyundai's A.S.S. is really great. Even we own an i20 and an i10 and are totally satisfied with the cars.
Do post some photos of the rear seat. Can you accommodate 3 people at the back?

Thanks. Its a bit hard to seat three adults comfortably in the rear seat, not enough width available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanderers (Post 3645845)
Hi
Beep without camera or digital display is safest as you concentrate on driving, while making good use of other human sense listening.

This is the first that that I drove which had a reverse parking sensor. Never felt the need for it in any of our previous cars. Relied on the views provided by the three RVMs, situational awareness and judgement. So its a bit of a bonus to have reverse parking sensors on this car as our primary requirements were Airbags and ABS in the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by g_saunak (Post 3645879)
Congrats skanchan95 !!!
BTW, I have the same questions as of Promit. This one has an alarm ???? :Shockked: Can you give some detailed scenarios on how to fire it? Also, can you please share the details of the silicone cover? They really look nice.

I hope you'd enjoy this little beauty as much as I do everyday. This one is really a keeper. Congrats once again. Drive safe and happy revving...

Quote:

Originally Posted by S2!!! (Post 3645910)
For example, if your doors are locked and the windows are rolled down, if you try and unlock the car from inside, the alarm triggers with continuous honks (as in peep, peep, peep...) Even I never knew this till it actually triggered :)

@skanchan95

Wish you several happy kilometres ahead.

Thank you.
As S2 said, the alarm goes off if the car is unlocked and the doors are opened without the smart key(i.e. not in your pocket or is some distance away). The only way to shut the alarm off is to lock/unlock the car with the smart key. Here's how it sounds & looks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp1U4mPADPw

Quote:

Originally Posted by fazonater1911 (Post 3645993)
Congrats skanchan95.
Wish you a lot of happy miles ahead with your WHITE KNIGHT!!

I have been owning a Gi10 Asta(O) 1.1 CRDi since almost 11 months. I have a doubt as to what happens if you walk away with the smart key in your pocket and the car in engine ON postion. I have experimented it a few times in a safe area just to see what would be the likely result of it. But all that happens is loud beep comes from the car and also in the instrument cluster a red light "KEY OUT" flashes. In such a scenario, any other person(for eg. a thief) can drive the car away and go off right? The thief will have a problem starting it again after switching off without the smart key I guess?:D But isn't this a security threat?

Thank you and your concern is correct.
Like you,ever since the day we drove the car home, I have been thinking about situations when it could be unsafe to have smart key in or out of the car and how best to avoid unsafe situationsstupid:.
You have pointed out Scenario 1. I almost drove away in a similar situation with the car once without the smart key. I had given the car to Carz Spa, Mangalore for Paint Protection Coating within a week of delivery. After the treatment was done, the key was lying in a box near the car. The technician who did the treatment, simply walked into the car and drove it out to the parking (the key still lying in the box inside the workshop). Having thought of such scenarios earlier, I checked for the key and asked the technician about it. He sheepishly smiled and ran back to get the key.
Scenario 2 that I was think about was what if on a hot day, you've parked the car somewhere with your family inside and you step out of the car to grab something quickly from a near by shop, keeping the car & A/C on. To avoid the Key out alarm, you ask one of your passengers to hold on to the key and ask them to lock the car from inside. I was wondering in such a scenario if anyone could come and open the door using the request button on the door handle, as the smart key is nearby(inside). Logic would say that the door should open but Thankfully, in such a case, the door cannot be opened from the outside using the request button. It will only open if the door is unlocked by the remoteclap:. Verified it myself.