Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2018, 11:18   #376
BHPian

Re: Review: The 2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift (2nd-gen)

I have a problem with my AC. It is a 4S Auto so I get automatic climate control, but it always shows the outside temperature as 20°C. However hot it is in Bombay, (and in Bombay it rarely gets cooler than 20°!) the outside temperature remains on 20°.

Is it the temperature sensor which is faulty? The local FNG says it will be a complicated fix involving taking off the entire dashboard and completely opening up the AC, but I suspect he has no clue where the sensor is.

Can anyone here guide me as to the location of the sensor, how to check whether it is connected properly, and how to take it off and replace it if it is faulty?
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The 2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift (2nd-gen)-1.jpg  

Old 19th September 2018, 11:01   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinger View Post
I have a problem with my AC. It is a 4S Auto so I get automatic climate control, but it always shows the outside temperature as 20°C. However hot it is in Bombay, (and in Bombay it rarely gets cooler than 20°!) the outside temperature remains on 20°.
Peculiar problem indeed. It does look the external temperature sensor is faulty. Have you checked with Hyundai Service Center?

Also, does the Auto Climate Control work efficiently? I presume the system will see the external temperature reading as 20° and not cool effectively, though the external temperature may be higher.
Old 19th September 2018, 18:33   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Also, does the Auto Climate Control work efficiently? I presume the system will see the external temperature reading as 20° and not cool effectively, though the external temperature may be higher.
It cools as if the outside temperature is actually 20°, so so it is a little hotter inside than it should be. Then you have to physically lower the temp and increase the blower, which is as good as not having automatic climate control at all.

But where is this sensor located? It can't be in the engine bay, because that would be hotter than the outside temperature, and there is nothing visible outside other than the radio antenna. Is it there?

I get the feeling that there is a fairly simple solution to this problem, such as a loose wire somewhere (I've already checked the fuse for the auto climate control) and I usually like to tinker and fix things myself as far as possible.
Old 19th September 2018, 21:02   #379
BANNED

Quote:
But where is this sensor located? It can't be in the engine bay, because that would be hotter than the outside temperature, and there is nothing visible outside other than the radio antenna.
AFAIK it is near the horn in front of/beside/near the radiator. There is no need to remove the dashboard to fix the outside temperature sensor.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 21:16   #380
BHPian

I have the older fluidic Verna and the temperature sensor is squeezed between the windshield and dashboard in the center, but is very much visible. This is behind the space where usually god idol would sit. Its easily accessible too. I think it should be the same for 4s too.
Hope that helps
Rodie09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 22:44   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
AFAIK it is near the horn in front of/beside/near the radiator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
the temperature sensor is squeezed between the windshield and dashboard in the center,
I shall investigate!

Any idea what it looks like?
Old 19th September 2018, 22:51   #382
BHPian

IIRC, It looks like a hemi sphere with black gloss finish, like a CCTV camera, about a centimeter in diameter. Difficult to miss if you are checking the area I mentioned - very close to the windshield so that it records external temperature accurately.

Interestingly, I have observed that it records a couple of degrees higher perhaps because of the green house effect.

Happy to be of help
Rodie09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 08:11   #383
BHPian

Quote:
I shall investigate!

Any idea what it looks like?
Here's a picture of it. Not sure if it just opens up or the dashboard needs to be removed to access it.

Review: The 2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift (2nd-gen)-verna-acc.jpg
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 22:38   #384
BHPian

Well finally found time to try and get to the sensor, but there is really no way to reach that area without dismantling the dashboard.

Oh well...
Old 28th June 2019, 19:38   #385
BHPian

Hello All,

On Friday, I gave my car for the 2nd paid service, on its 4th anniversary. Thought of sharing the details as well as thanking you guys for all your support and guidance. The below points summarize my experience with my car over the past 4 years:

Car : Hyundai Verna 1.6 VTVT S(O)
KMs done: 33332KMs in 1460 days (Average ~ 22 KMs daily) (99% with AC on)
KMs on Highway ~ 12500 KMs (37%)
City mostly driven: Bangalore
Major Incidents: None
Puncture: None
Breakdowns / Technical Problem: None

While giving the car for service, I mentioned to the SA that I had no issues which needed to be addressed. Just regular servicing.
Parts changed:
1. Engine Oil, Shell
2. Engine Oil filter
3. Climate control air filter
4. Coolant
5. Clutch fluid topped up

Additionally:
1. Brake bleeding and cleaning done
2. Engine de-carbonization done

Points worth mentioning:
About the Car
1. The paid service costed me 12000/-. Hyundai now uses only Shell Helix and that is a big chunk of the invoice amount.
2. I did not get Rotation and Balancing, underbody coating, wax cleaning, other fancy stuff done.
3. After four years of ownership, I am completely satisfied with my purchase. The interiors are properly screwed and of top quality built. No sounds/rattles from the dashboard or the door pads. This, after I drive a lot over none existent roads of outer Bangalore very regularly. Quite impressive.
4. The design of the dashboard and the features are still up-to-date. I got ECM in my car, which the Creta only recently started coming equipped with. The power window switches on each door are backlit, a feature which is a luxury these days.
5. The 1.6 VTVT is a gem of an engine. Super silent, immensely tractable. It pulls cleanly from 30kmph in 4th gear. In fact, at times, I tried putting the car in 4th at 25kmph and there was no shudder, just linear acceleration. This makes it a boon to drive in city traffic. The Honda's IVtec may be the king of higher revs, but where my car gets used more, between the 800 - 2000 rpm, the VTVT reigns supreme.
6. After driving several other cars (non-Hyundai) this year, I find the steering wheel to be the most disconnected in the Verna. On its own, it isn’t bad and driving the Verna doesn’t highlight the light steering deficiency much, however once you start comparing, the disconnect is clear.

About the Service:
1. The service adviser was new and very energetic. He added me on whatsapp and through the day kept sending me pictures and videos of my car in the workshop.
2. The service experience itself was pleasant. The adviser did try to push Wurth cleaning package and Roadside Assistance package to me, both of which were declined. Apart from these, no issues.
3. I had clearly mentioned to him that I get wheel balancing and alignment done every 10000KMs from an independent tire shop and that he doesn’t need to do it. He agreed. However, when he took the wheels off for brake servicing, he rotated them. I noticed it immediately when I went to take the car. He said he had done so seeing the thread depth and put ‘better’ ones in front. I couldn’t do much. I can’t make out which tire was where originally. My four years of adhering to wheel balancing cycle has gone for a toss. I will have to drive a little to see if this has impacted the alignment/balancing of the car and then again take it to the Tire shop if needed. Not Good!

Last edited by drive2eternity : 28th June 2019 at 19:40.
drive2eternity is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 08:43   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Points worth mentioning:
Fully agree with you here. Absolutely no rattles and issues here too. Though mine is a Diesel, all points remain valid.

The 1.6 CRDI is butter smooth, punchy, and silent even as it's nearing 50k. NVH levels are top class, and there's hardly any smoke too, unless on very hard acceleration on up-slopes.

Looking at the feedback from various owners of the 2017 Verna, it looks like lots of people are complaining about refinement and NVH levels of the "supposedly improved" CRDI unit. Probably the retuning that resulted in the torque spread over a wider revv range i.e. 1,500 - 3,000 rpm (compared to the 1,900 - 2,750 rpm of the 2015 Verna) is one reason. But if it ain't broke, not sure why they tried to fix it.

Quote:
6. After driving several other cars (non-Hyundai) this year, I find the steering wheel to be the most disconnected in the Verna. On its own, it isn’t bad and driving the Verna doesn’t highlight the light steering deficiency much, however once you start comparing, the disconnect is clear.
Very true. I had mentioned this in a couple of other posts too at various times in the past. While the suspension is not an issue at all, the steering is the first to give away as you start to reach unmentionable speeds.

Last edited by PearlJam : 3rd July 2019 at 08:46.
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 20:03   #387
BHPian

Here's my Dec 2014 Fluidic Verna (last production batch before the 4S). Still running like the day I got her home.

The engine is still butter smooth, punchy and fuel efficient. Regular services is all I have been doing. Clutch is still stock though now it has gotten a little harder than before, sometimes gives quite a powerful kickback. Engine hasn't been touched (touchwood). She's on the 3rd set of tyres that will propably last till 200k kms. Stock Bridgestones (37k) and then Yoko Earth1's. Suspension so far hasn't thrown up any issues but I will get them replaced once it touches 200k.

Zero Rattles and issues. She runs like a dream. Planning to keep her for a few more years at least. Brilliant highway mile muncher. 75% of its running has been on the highways.

Review: The 2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift (2nd-gen)-img_3608.jpg

Last edited by drhoneycake : 16th September 2019 at 20:07. Reason: added more details.
drhoneycake is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 10:26   #388
BHPian

With 90,000 KMs in 6.5 years, I am happy to own the Fluidic Verna. As mentioned in earlier posts, the handling, gear shift, power and comfort is as new as on day 1. FE is in the range of 13.4 - 14 on highways (Petrol). Service cost comes close to 10K (I service at every 9K kms). Only periodic parts replacement done so far. The Michelin tires that was changed at 50K is much better than the stock Bridgestone. Actually it is now 40K old, but has no signs of wear and tear. I thank my friends Arun and Nikhil for their advice to go for Michelin. A very good car in the 10 Lakh category. The Hyundai service centers have got a reasonably good customer satisfaction ratings from me. So nothing much to complain on that part. No serious plans to go for a SUV upgrade at this point.

In short am a happy Hyundai customer.

Cheers,
Karthik Iyer
kiyer_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 21:35   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone here guide me as to the location of the sensor, how to check whether it is connected properly, and how to take it off and replace it if it is faulty?
Check this link:
https://oriparts.com/8/200/1394/461073

The hemisphere on the dashboard is the light sensor. It is not what you are looking for.

The sensor you want is 96985 which is the external ambient sensor. See the "REF.60-640"? It is the structure that the horn is attached to. See the third image.

Review: The 2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift (2nd-gen)-capture.jpg

Review: The 2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift (2nd-gen)-capture2.jpg

Review: The 2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift (2nd-gen)-capture3.jpg

Disclaimer: All images are from Boodmo website.
rajathv8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 18:01   #390
BHPian

Hi everyone. My 2nd battery on the 4S is about to go kaput. The factory fitted one lasted 25 months, whereas the 2nd one lasted slightly more at 29 months - both Exide. Any suggestions / personal experiences of good battery for this car. Also, is it true that Automatic transmission cars have lower battery life, whilst there is no logical explanation to it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks