Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2015, 16:10   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: The 2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift (2nd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Playing the devil's advocate, I do not understand the hue and cry regarding the omission of rear disc brakes.
It is based on the simple assumption that Disc brakes are better than drum brakes under most circumstances. The competition is not offering it. But Hyundai was and has taken a step back and that is why it leaves a sour taste. The Hyundai Verna might not be an enthusiast's car but that does not stop most of its drivers from ripping it on our roads and doing speeds in excess of 100kmph.
The addition of ABS as standard is definitely a welcome move.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 16:20   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
It is based on the simple assumption that Disc brakes are better than drum brakes under most circumstances.
Here is the thread by smartcat comparing sedans under 12Lacs, sold in India. It maybe older data, but see the braking distance figures there. Apart from the T-Jet, almost all the other cars in the top 10 are without disc brakes at the rear. I know that braking distance is a function of many other factors like weight of the car etc, but a well calibrated braking circuit without rear discs can pip an all wheel disc arrangement, which is not properly executed. That was my point.
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 16:26   #33
BHPian

Meh...Apart from the 6 airbags thingy, don't really see much of an improvement. I'm going to throw caution to the wind and say that, to me, it feels like they've gone a step backwards.

Oh, and WTH Hyundai! You add 4 Airbags, and remove rear disk brakes? But still manage to keep the ruddy 4 speed AT? And no rear AC Vent? No auto folding ORVMs? No passenger side request sensor? Seriously?

I don't really understand what is up with car makers these days! They take equipment off the cars, and then charge the buyers more! Bonkers! All they've added to this model, is the projector setup, auto headlamps(awfully slow as per the review) & rain sensing wipers. Sheesh. Talk about the wrong stuff!
Old 18th February 2015, 16:35   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionados View Post
Roughly C2 sedan buyers can be categorized into Chauffer Driven & Self Driven

As a self driven buyer
As a chuffer driven buyer
It's not so black and white. There's a 3rd category:

As a self driven buyer who's not too 'enthusiastic' to take every single corner at roaring speeds. He/she may drive fairly fast (cruising, say at 120Kmph) on the highways, and may want a cabin that exudes quality, fit-and-finish, and the accessories (except rear a/c vents and a touch screen). In the City, they may want good ride quality and ease of driving. Add a segment best refined engine (for the Diesel), and a great paint job.

I guess Hyundai is trying to target this segment.
PearlJam is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 16:54   #35
BHPian

Thanks for a great review!.
I had good thoughts about the Verna when I saw the initial pictures on the internet a couple of weeks back. I was also talking to my family that this could just be our next car.
But seems they have taken not one, but several steps backwards. Yes, the jumpy feel has reduced, but that doesn't mean cutting several niceties that this car had. Also, other cars in the same bracket have caught up and are throwing up much more goodies. Hyundai seems to have missed the point.
They will sell good numbers, but I don't see any drastic change.
Old 18th February 2015, 17:00   #36
BHPian

Disappointing facelift!!. The verna which once was a benchmark in its segment for features offered is not so anymore. The ride and handling might have improved from the earlier version, but still falls behind its competitors.
anish5225 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 17:04   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
It's not so black and white. There's a 3rd category:

As a self driven buyer who's not too 'enthusiastic' to take every single corner at roaring speeds. He/she may drive fairly fast (cruising, say at 120Kmph) on the highways, and may want a cabin that exudes quality, fit-and-finish, and the accessories (except rear a/c vents and a touch screen). In the City, they may want good ride quality and ease of driving. Add a segment best refined engine (for the Diesel), and a great paint job.

I guess Hyundai is trying to target this segment.
I agree there's such a category who might prefer Verna for the said reasons.

But, I think differently here! If sheer quality, fit and finish is my requirement, I would go for Vento or Rapid.
Gone are those days when Verna was way ahead in terms of quality & features than competitors (read yr 2011-12-13). Even Ciaz interiors despite a MSIL products are leaps ahead in terms of quality and City & Linea are no exception.

What I want to highlight is, mere facelift like this won't change any fortunes for Verna, what they need is next generation upgrade like they did with Elite i20. This stop-gap arrangement for Verna might have worked earlier but not now, as competitors have evolved over this period with very competent products.
Aficionados is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 17:21   #38
BHPian

While I do appreciate this update by Hyundai, what it really needed was a better backseat experience. Agreed, they have added the ERGO seats and have tried to make the rear seat more comfortable, but without making the seat higher and longer, it would remain miles behind cars like the City and Ciaz in terms of backseat comfort. Additionally, a rear seat aircon vent is much needed.

However, that said, Hyundai has improved the car by leaps and bounds and it tells us how much they care about customer feedback.
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 18:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnagarajs View Post
Seems like they have removed the fuel consumption related info like average and instantaneous mileage in the MID.
The MID remains unchanged, hence, wasn't included in the review. It still displays distance to empty, average as well as real time fuel economy.
S2!!! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 18:25   #40
D4D
BHPian

Good thing to know that the ride has been sorted to an extent.
How is the GC when loaded with 5 adults and luggage?

This trend of deleting items from the equipment list is alarming. It started with the Elite i20 and now on the Verna. What are Hyundai thinking?

Major misses are Rear disc brakes and rear Headrests. Not complaining too much about the rear AC vents though. (Because I'm from Bangalore I guess)

Really think Hyundai has missed a trick by not giving the Six speed AT to the diesel Verna, especially because they did everything ready.

In India, we're having the Automatic revolution due to out city traffic conditions. I'm sure VW and Skoda are breathing a sigh of relief.

Last edited by D4D : 18th February 2015 at 18:26.
Old 18th February 2015, 18:35   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The variant spread is the most baffling bit on the 4S Verna. These are the ex-showroom prices for Chennai:

Attachment 1341255
I think, Hyundai has priced the new verna too high for the facelift and few added features, few stripped down. I bought a 2014 Verna 1.6 CRDI SX, The ex-showroom Chennai was 9,76,000 and on-road after discount came to 10,70,000. I think the earlier SX is now S(0) and the pricing of 10,78,000 does not seem reasonable for the added features like projector headlamps and re-designed nose, at the same time cutting short rear discs, rear head restraint etc.
karts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 18:50   #42
BHPian

Great review.

In the Missing equipments list, they could have also added a sunroof which Honda city has on offer. Its not a deal breaker though, but the deletion of the Rear disc brakes is not good especially for this car which is amongst the fastest in its class.

They also could have improved the rear bench for better under thigh support in the car.

For me the honda city is still a better pick.

Last edited by GTO : 19th February 2015 at 15:02. Reason: Typos
nishchal316 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th February 2015, 18:55   #43
BHPian

Was delaying my buying decision from last November anticipating this Verna facelift. Once the reviews started surfacing, I was rather disappointed. Earlier Verna was offered with many discounts which are no longer applicable for this 4S Verna. I am sure its just a matter of couple of months for them to bring back these discounts. But as of now, at a higher price point (without earlier discounts) this Verna doesn't give any value at all. I am putting my money on Ciaz.
arunkk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 19:08   #44
BHPian

Went to the showroom and had a look at the car. I was waiting for this launch so that I can decide on otherwise selected HONDA CITY.

Though the front look was better than before and Honda City, rear and side looks did not impress me better then City and Ciaz.

Cost is equal or higher than City with comparable models, though I am looking for Petrol version.

No change in interiors except ERGO lever. Dashboard looks pretty dated. Wooden finish is not going well with colour scheme of the Dashboard. Door levers are not chrome either. I don't understand what will they save in that?

Overall did not get impressed. Went ahead and booked Honda City Petrol VMT.
srameshdelhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 20:40   #45
BHPian

Excellent review S2. Small and crisp but covers all that's necessary. Hyundai has given a nice face to this car and it definitely looks better now. But with this mild facelift I doubt it will pose much of a threat to City or Ciaz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
What started off as a feature-loaded car doesn't get a touchscreen...something that its competitors (Honda City, Maruti Ciaz) offer:
Just for info, I think City doesn't have touch screen system. Only the ACC has feather touch operation. Ciaz has touch screen audio only on the ZXi+ trim.
Carpainter is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks