Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2015, 10:34   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Anybody with experience with the old and new AT's of Honda. Their comments and observations will be most welcome. Also, use on hills and the like!

Hi
I might be of help to you hopefully.
But please do clearly state your query,I didn't quite understand.
Thank you.
Old 1st June 2015, 16:20   #17

Re: My first automatic car: Honda City CVT VX with paddle shifters

I'm the owner of a 2013 Automatic. I've covered about 20,000 kms so far. Have used the car both on our highways as well as ghatsi.e trips to Goa from bangalore as well as minor Ghat sections like Bangalore Calicut or Mangalore etc. Initially i was very excited about the paddle shifts and would keep using it as much as i could. Soon realised that if one wanted to use the paddle shift it is better to be on S as there was a lot more rpm given to each gear as compared to D, where the ecu would keep taking over.

My wife is the primary user of the car to work and back and i tend to hijack it whenever i can, especially for our holiday trips. I regularly use my TATA Xenon or the Opel Corsa in the city its usually my RX 135. This is not the CVT model auto so I have not felt any rubber band type of effect which I read about. I do wish it was a bit more torquey though. The tyres are stock Michellin 175/15 on stock mags.

My first impressions of my car was its big, spacious, has a big boot, no rear ac vent, good seats, nice sunroof and after my first drive was like its stiff, fair bit of road noise, but silent engine and i'll pray to the patron saint of mileage. For the first 6000-8000 kms i was averaging about 7.5 to 8.0 to the litre (Peak hour bangalore traffic). Now I've covered about 20000 kms and get about 9.5 in the city. Maybe we (wife and I) have adapted to using a light foot for accelerating and letting the car coast.

Now there is another side to this kitty, which is ferocious and a bit violent. Floor the accelerator and don't look at the current kms/litre data on the dashboard and forget the eco indicator and you will be met with a second or so of a delayed reaction and once the turbo kicks in, the entire experience changes. For starters there is the noise, from being silent and simpering to growling and roaring, the firm setup has its uses as the car holds speeds in excess of 120kmph. However i did wish that the car had a more solid feel and i feel that the 175 tyres is the guilty party. Maybe its just me but i had to consciously use the paddle shifts, because barring downshifting once or twice to slow down i never ever felt the need for using paddles shifts. The car is so responsive when you push it that you cant help smile and drive especially with the engine roaring away. And you slow down and it back to silent whimpering mode. Whoa, the engine is cute.

As of now I cant justify chucking the tyres out and replacing them because there nothing wrong with the tyres barring giving the steering a lighter feel and making the stiff suspension seem stiffer. During the last alignment about a 1000 kms ago, the alignment chap mentioned that the tyres will last at least another 40000 kms. So I cant just chuck out my decent tyres and replace them with better tyres because my wife who will have to foot this bill (as Honda city is hers) is perfectly happy and does not feel the need for a little more comfort and less kms /litre. \

Please do pardon me if I've written out of topic.

Mod Note : Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 1st June 2015 at 21:01. Reason: Removed mention of high speeds on public roads. Please avoid. Thanks.
JohnSwamy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 21:05   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSwamy View Post
Floor the accelerator and don't look at the current kms/litre data on the dashboard and forget the eco indicator and you will be met with a second or so of a delayed reaction and once the turbo kicks in, the entire experience changes.
The City does not have a Turbo. It's a naturally aspirated petrol engine. Yours is the older 5 speed torque converter automatic. What you are referring to is the delay in downshift or "kickdown" of the automatic box. Secondly honda's have VTEC which switches on at higher rpm's which might have given you that feeling. It's called the "VTEC just kicked in Yo!" feeling.

Even the new City with CVT is petrol only with no turbo. The new diesel manual has the turbo.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 1st June 2015 at 21:09.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 15:12   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishchal316 View Post
1000 Kms Update : Tyre Upgraded & FE Reports

Here is my rating of the MC5’s and the P3ST’s :

Continantal MC5
• Grip Level – 8/10
• Controlled Body Roll – 9/10
• Ride Quality – 6/10
• Tyre Noise – 7/10

Michelin P3ST
• Grip Level – 8/10
• Controlled Body Roll – 8/10
• Ride Quality – 8/10
• Tyre Noise – 8/10
I will be testing the mileage in the Eco mode and will report about it soon .
Hey buddy, congrats on the City. Quick question- did you also consider XM2 while upgrading tyres? If so, any reason for choosing P3ST over XM2 ?
Old 9th June 2015, 16:11   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
Hey buddy, congrats on the City. Quick question- did you also consider XM2 while upgrading tyres? If so, any reason for choosing P3ST over XM2 ?
Thank You Vitalstatistiks
No i did not consider the XM2 while upgrading. Since the P3ST were the new ones from michelin i decided to try them out. Otherwise there is no particular reason for choosing P3ST over XM2.
nishchal316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 06:38   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahareddy View Post
I got the tires changed too.Got Bridgestone Potenza GIII 205R.And also after market alloys that looked decent and neat.
Your setup looks great! What brand and model are the alloys?
Old 2nd September 2015, 19:29   #22

Hi Nishchal,
This is exactly the info that I've been looking around for.
I've been driving a Scorpio till now - Would sell a scorpio to buy a new scorpio only . And now plan to shift to a sedan, for various reasons. Having driving an i10 Automatic since last 4 years too, i haven't had a doubt about ATs. I've been very confused on whether I should go on for a Honda CVT or Cruze LTZ AT. I don't mind the petrol or diesel, I think, it wouldn't make much of difference to me in terms of cost. But, I was mighty impressed with Honda CVT when i took the TD. Never had a second thought about Honda CVT. But, lately a friend asked me to think about Cruze AT. Thats when I got (wrong to say a bit, its a lot) confused between the two. Your response and advice, having driven and experienced both, will make my thoughts easier. And seriously, your opinion will have a big impact on my decision. Infant, one another friend, has asked me to wait for the toyota Vios too.
Good if we could talk for a few minutes, but i don't know how to exchange numbers privately over this forum.
Thanks
Joy
samueljoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 22:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samueljoy View Post
I got (wrong to say a bit, its a lot) confused between the two. Your response and advice, having driven and experienced both, will make my thoughts easier.
Joy
Thanks samueljoy
I had been driving the manual cruze however i have driven the AT as well and its a rocket. I think if you are an enthusiast , you should pick up the cruze because the city doesn't even come close to it in terms of power and handling. The cruze is just in a different league all together.

However the city offers more space, will be easy on the pocket to maintain and you will have an advantage in terms of the resale. The resale of the cruze is simply pathetic. Even a 2 years old cruze driven for just about 40k you will be able to get for around 9 to 10 lakhs.

With the city you won't really get the enjoyment of the cruze. But you get a decent performing car which is a lot practical and you have your peace of mind.

Last edited by nishchal316 : 9th September 2015 at 22:52. Reason: typing mistake
Old 22nd September 2015, 13:54   #24
BHPian

I am getting my CVT VX tomorrow.
Golden Brown color.

Sun roof and Paddle shifters are the only reasons for getting this car.
Major disappointment in the ride dept when compared to my current Rapid.

Last edited by anandkumargb : 22nd September 2015 at 13:55.
anandkumargb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 11:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
I am getting my CVT VX tomorrow.
Golden Brown color.

Sun roof and Paddle shifters are the only reasons for getting this car.
Major disappointment in the ride dept when compared to my current Rapid.
How is the drive. I am planning to buying one...had booked a Creta but now would cancel my booking and go for the top model of the City. Would cost me almost 3.5 Lakhs less than the Automatic Creta. While buying a City why don't people also consider Corolla Altis Petrol Manual? The difference in the top Model of the Honda Automatic and Corolla Automatic ( Mid Version) is about 3.5 lakhs. A lot I would say as in comfort levels I only feel slightly premium in the Altis not a difference of 3.5 Lakhs.
Old 20th February 2016, 19:16   #26
BHPian

I guess my reply would be too late anyway here is my experience with the Honda City CVT VX.

At 14.7 lakhs OTR Bangalore, the car is expensive!!!

Will keep it brief, let me know if you want me to elaborate on any particular area.

+vs

1. Extremely spacious car, especially at the rear
2. Loved all the Gizmos - Sunroof, Paddle shifters, Keyless entry, Start/stop button, Music system which seamlessly connects with my phone, Leather seats, Paddle shifters
3. All these features and gizmos work beautifully and seem to last niggle free for a long time to come (I had a Scorpio Automatic which had all the features but wasn't niggle free..I was friends with the service manager, you can imagine...same goes with Tata products :-). Honda's legendary reliability!
4. 16 kmpl on highways
5. CVT and IVtec - Very refined and smooth gearshifts

-vs

1. 8 kmpl in city
2. Ride quality was below average. Suspension felt weak when going on potholes. The thud which you get from a Rapid or Vento was missing.
3. Car scrapes underbelly often
4. Even though the Ivtec engine has 120 BHP, car feels lethargic on highways thanks to the CVT gearbox. It is a beautiful flawless car in the city and to most of the drivers, on highway as well but not for me. Having driven DSGs of the Vento TDI and TSI, I always regretted not buying a DSG gearbox.
anandkumargb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 11:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
I guess my reply would be too late anyway here is my experience with the Honda City CVT VX.

At 14.7 lakhs OTR Bangalore, the car is expensive!!!

Will keep it brief, let me know if you want me to elaborate on any particular area.

+vs

1. Extremely spacious car, especially at the rear
2. Loved all the Gizmos - Sunroof, Paddle shifters, Keyless entry, Start/stop button, Music system which seamlessly connects with my phone, Leather seats, Paddle shifters
3. All these features and gizmos work beautifully and seem to last niggle free for a long time to come (I had a Scorpio Automatic which had all the features but wasn't niggle free..I was friends with the service manager, you can imagine...same goes with Tata products :-). Honda's legendary reliability!
4. 16 kmpl on highways
5. CVT and IVtec - Very refined and smooth gearshifts

-vs

1. 8 kmpl in city
2. Ride quality was below average. Suspension felt weak when going on potholes. The thud which you get from a Rapid or Vento was missing.
3. Car scrapes underbelly often
4. Even though the Ivtec engine has 120 BHP, car feels lethargic on highways thanks to the CVT gearbox. It is a beautiful flawless car in the city and to most of the drivers, on highway as well but not for me. Having driven DSGs of the Vento TDI and TSI, I always regretted not buying a DSG gearbox.
A bit off topic Anand, but can you share your experience about the reliability of the DSG ? I am in the market for an automatic sedan and I am having a tough choice choosing between the City and Vento because of the reliability of the DSG.

My mind says to buy the City for a fuss free ownership and the heart is hell bent on making me buy the Vento. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10th June 2016, 17:34   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanwheels View Post
I am in the market for an automatic sedan and I am having a tough choice choosing between the City and Vento because of the reliability of the DSG.
My mind says to buy the City for a fuss free ownership and the heart is hell bent on making me buy the Vento. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
I would like to interject, even though the question wasnt asked to me I feel VAG have ironed out the DSG issues and you can go with the extended warranty for 4 years for better piece of mind. So reliability shouldnt be much of a concern IMO. What should be of higher concern is the after sales and maintenance cost. If you are ok with these 2 things then I guess you are good to go for the DSG. Also, have a look of the Rapid, which slightly undercuts Vento in pricing and handles slightly better than Vento.

Needless to say, keeping other things constant a Vento/Rapid even in the manual guise would be more fun to drive than the city having a lot better ride and handling combo. But, city is a more practical car that is targetted to a family and has ample space with decently powered engines.
Waspune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 22:23   #29
BHPian

If it was me buying an automatic Sedan, I would definitely buy a DSG.
But it isn't me, so I suggest you drive both the cars and make a decision.

I do feel that Honda city CVT will fetch better resale compared to Vento/Rapid DSG.
anandkumargb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 09:03   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
I feel VAG have ironed out the DSG issues and you can go with the extended warranty for 4 years for better piece of mind. So reliability shouldnt be much of a concern IMO.
This is a very welcome interjection if at all it is any

However I'd like to point out, that on the Skoda Octavia threads, one of our members has just as recently as last month, been harassed by the ghost of DSG failure and his car is lying in the workshop for quite a few days. Seriously freaks me out.

I have taken a test drive of both and if anything, it has only worsened my confusion. Time and again when I TD a City, I feel its sluggish and not really responsive- just doesn't have the punch despite it being a 1.5L engine. Also, time and again I have TDed a Vento (both in Petrol and Diesel), I have loved the peppiness of the engines and the solid tank-like build.

Its not been just once that I have taken a test drive. Its now been the third time for both. Both the SA of Honda and VW asked me as to where the confusion is and what other option I am looking at and when will I book one !

Even my wife has now been telling me to talk of a car only when I have finally decided on buying one. Its a heart v/s a mind battle and honestly I don't know who will win.
toofanwheels is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks