Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2016, 17:22   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
Well, you can go for the current gen A6, 5 or E if you don't mind as you will get huge discounts. But then shaman and the likes have some brilliant stocks, try pushing for a year old and you'll be amazed at the depreciation.
I simply love the Jetta, just that a new one is too expensive for me, and will look for one in the used car market 6-8 months down the line to replace my Captiva.
I have narrowed down to a RWD only! Unfortunately the quattro of Audi is simply superb but then also takes away a bit of fun, Now the choices in BMW are 3 series or the 5,

Between 320d and 520d, I feel a remapped 320d might be more fun to drive, Although i am keenly looking around for a 530d

Lets see how it goes.
Old 4th November 2016, 17:32   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
I have narrowed down to a RWD only! Unfortunately the quattro of Audi is simply superb but then also takes away a bit of fun, Now the choices in BMW are 3 series or the 5,

Between 320d and 520d, I feel a remapped 320d might be more fun to drive, Although i am keenly looking around for a 530d

Lets see how it goes.
A remapped 3 will be much more fun to drive than a 5. But if not going to be driven all out, then the 5 is a good buy. And now even the 520d is so loaded in terms of features!

There is a 530d on sale, one at a dealer at marine drive and another at a bandra dealer.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 00:00   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
A remapped 3 will be much more fun to drive than a 5. But if not going to be driven all out, then the 5 is a good buy. And now even the 520d is so loaded in terms of features!

There is a 530d on sale, one at a dealer at marine drive and another at a bandra dealer.
Indeed! Its a secondary car for me which i only want for the driving pleasure, Hence i can even compromise on features if it drives well! & yes i have my eyes on both the 530d's already, Unfortunately i am leaving for uae in a couple of days, Hope its still there when i come back

Will pounce on one with warranty only though!
Old 16th November 2016, 01:32   #64
BHPian

Hi Tanveer, I wanted to know if its possible to activate auto-fold/un-fold for the door mirrors based remote locking/ un-locking?
Old 16th November 2016, 01:52   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Hi Tanveer, I wanted to know if its possible to activate auto-fold/un-fold for the door mirrors based remote locking/ un-locking?
Hi, Its not possible, Simply don't waste your time over it, I have tried everything possible but nothing works, We would require an additional door module for it to get it working which basically is not worth the money and time.
Old 26th November 2016, 22:43   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Tanveer sir.
I have been following this thread for long now. I must say that i envy you for the sheer number of modifications you have made to your jetta. If I were on the lookout for a second hand executive saloon in the market, it would surely be this one. The car truly has mod potential.
A few questions.

My model is a 2014 Jetta Comfortline. Can I activate the fatigue detection in this model?

I am finding it difficult to open the fuse box cover? Any specific instructions for this?

Where did you buy the aluminium inserts for the steering wheel?

Regards,
Vishy76
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 10:11   #67
BHPian

Unfortunately the installer in Gurgaon Autopsyche refused to install the automatic parking. I have it lying with me. Installed the TPMS but haven't seen it lit up yet. I guess either it works in very low pressures or doesn't . Have to deflate I think to check it.
Old 28th November 2016, 17:04   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Hi Tanveer sir.
I have been following this thread for long now. I must say that i envy you for the sheer number of modifications you have made to your jetta. If I were on the lookout for a second hand executive saloon in the market, it would surely be this one. The car truly has mod potential.
Hello, Thanks! The mod potential was one of the biggest influence for me to narrow it down to the jetta, Even after 2 years with this car, I still love every bit of it every time i drive it.

Quote:
My model is a 2014 Jetta Comfortline. Can I activate the fatigue detection in this model?
You would probably need a highline AN version of the can gateway, Pretty cheap on aliexpress actually hardly 2-3k, Installing it is a simply DIY too.

Quote:
I am finding it difficult to open the fuse box cover? Any specific instructions for this?
I haven't had a chance to open the fuse box, So i am unaware on this, Check online for some videos for it, I am sure you will find some.

Quote:
Where did you buy the aluminium inserts for the steering wheel?
Those aren't pure aluminium, Mostly plastic but it fits and feels really good, Bought it off aliexpress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
Unfortunately the installer in Gurgaon Autopsyche refused to install the automatic parking. I have it lying with me. Installed the TPMS but haven't seen it lit up yet. I guess either it works in very low pressures or doesn't . Have to deflate I think to check it.
I thought Autopsyche would have done it, You will need to think twice before jumping in, Once you open up the car, You probably won't be able to fix it back till you have installed it properly, Find someone who is willing to do it, Instead of forcing someone too, Also how did you install TPMS ? Did you see the TPMS light when you switch on the car for a couple of seconds?
Old 8th December 2016, 14:39   #69
Senior - BHPian

VW Recall's Software Update Review.

I had sent my car in for an ABS sensor issue, While the car was there the SA asked me if i wanted to go for the update for my car, Thinking about it i finally decided to go for it since i have already planned for a remap of the car next week, So basically my car would be updated in their system and it won't be recalled once i have remapped my car, The update took a good amount of time, More than a day, Reason told was the VW's servers were running slow since the ECU is updated directly from Germany.

Now i sat in the car, Started the car and instantly i could feel the the engine starting in a more silent way, Good sign? Perhaps, Drove around 250 kms after the update, 1st and 2nd gear under 3k RPM seemed normal, Engine has become even more smoother and refined, But thats where all the good things end! Push the car and you will feel the engine being restricted in some sort of way, It isn't pulling anywhere close to where it was before, Drivability becomes worst in 3rd gear, From 2800 RPM in 3rd gear the car seems to progress like a Naturally Aspirated engine which has a CVT Gearbox!! The progress is slow and the engine feels restricted, The acceleration has become really really linear and from 3rd gear onwards there isn't any kind of turbo pull felt. If i had to put a number of the HP that i feel the car has lost, It would be somewhere around 10-15 HP! Fuel Efficiency has improved as well, Sure the engine feels very smooth and refined now, But seems power has been affected (As i expected) & Jetta is nowhere as fun to drive as before, Got the free kit along with it, Thats nothing in return from VW when compared to the difference they have made in my car.

I will be getting the car remapped by Pete's in the next week, Next update once the car is remapped.

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 8th December 2016 at 14:40. Reason: Adding content
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 15:19   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
VW Recall's Software Update Review.

I to put a number of the HP that i feel the car has lost, It would be somewhere around 10-15 HP!

I will be getting the car remapped by Pete's in the next week, Next update once the car is remapped.
I had read about a dyno comparo video of a VAG car before and after software update. Power-Torque graph was different. At higher RPM, there was drop.

Do remember, that your car is "detuned" now. If Pete's work on the present read of your car, they are going to remap your detuned file from VW. I believe Pete's should have stock maps of Jetta and shouldn't be a problem.

If I was in your situation,

1. I would have asked Pete's to take a read of stock map

2. I would get the software update from VW to avoid being called up again.

3. I would go back to Pete's and they would take the read again of the present file ( Post software update)

4. Now, Pete's can send both stock files to their tuner and the tuner would do the needful

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 8th December 2016 at 15:26.
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 18:37   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I had read about a dyno comparo video of a VAG car before and after software update. Power-Torque graph was different. At higher RPM, there was drop.
No wonder the car is begging for more power after 3k RPM.

Quote:
Do remember, that your car is "detuned" now. If Pete's work on the present read of your car, they are going to remap your detuned file from VW. I believe Pete's should have stock maps of Jetta and shouldn't be a problem.
Yeah, I called up petes just to clarify this and they said they would be mostly be able to remap the car according to the stock map, However i am waiting for their confirmation call from them.

Quote:
Indeed, However crunch of time and lot of traveling recently din't allow me to do that.

Quote:
Yes, Hence it was done on my car as well, It seems they need to first update the car before performing a scan of the car, So probably any car that goes to the service centre would come out updated.

Quote:
3. I would go back to Pete's and they would take the read again of the present file ( Post software update)
Only if i could have done this in the first place.

Quote:
4. Now, Pete's can send both stock files to their tuner and the tuner would do the needful
I hope they would be able to pull it off, I don't want to pay for the remap just to attain the stock power of the car.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 18:46   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But thats where all the good things end! Push the car and you will feel the engine being restricted in some sort of way, It isn't pulling anywhere close to where it was before, Drivability becomes worst in 3rd gear, From 2800 RPM in 3rd gear the car seems to progress like a Naturally Aspirated engine which has a CVT Gearbox!! The progress is slow and the engine feels restricted, The acceleration has become really really linear and from 3rd gear onwards there isn't any kind of turbo pull felt. If i had to put a number of the HP that i feel the car has lost, It would be somewhere around 10-15 HP!...
Man! That is bad! I have been hesitating to take the car for the update. After seeing your experience, I have started thinking if there is a way to avoid the update. But I guess there is no escape. Next time the car goes for service, they will silently do the update for sure!

I hope Pete's is able to remap your car to 170+ HP with the updated map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post

That is an awesome idea! I was thinking of doing a remap after the third service anyway. Now I will make sure to read the stock map before giving the car for service and then do the remap.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 18:54   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Man! That is bad! I have been hesitating to take the car for the update. After seeing your experience, I have started thinking if there is a way to avoid the update. But I guess there is no escape. Next time the car goes for service, they will silently do the update for sure!
Trust me, You won't feel like driving the Jetta after the update, It was very sluggish, They have smartly detuned in such a way that people who don't drive it out on the highways much or drive in an enthusiast way, They might just not notice it, Since the response in the lower end is almost like before if not the same, Mid range has gone really weak! After 2nd gear you would probably feel there is no turbo in the car

Quote:
I hope Pete's is able to remap your car to 170+ HP with the updated map.
I hope they do, 16k is a bang for the buck to bump the power over 170+ HP.

Quote:
That is an awesome idea! I was thinking of doing a remap after the third service anyway. Now I will make sure to read the stock map before giving the car for service and then do the remap.
Indeed its a good idea, There is no way to avoid the update unless you plan to start getting your car serviced from outside and not the VW service centres.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 19:11   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Trust me, You won't feel like driving the Jetta after the update, After 2nd gear you would probably feel there is no turbo in the car
This is totally unacceptable and downright deplorable update from VW Tanveer and I shudder at what may happen to my GT if I went ahead with this update, after reading your experience

I have driven the Jetta TDI (MT) and it was one of the cars in my 'Wishlist', if & when I upgraded. So if it feels this bad, then it must be BIG RED FLAG to all other owners.

After reading your report bro, I am extremely sceptical & anxious on taking my 1.6 GT TDI for this update from VW.

I don't want to Loose out THE REASON I bought this Car.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 8th December 2016 at 19:13.
Vik0728 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 19:23   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Pete's, TOT etc would obviously have stock maps for Jetta with them. But it's always good when you have the read from your own car . Also by doing this exercise, the tuner can compare the files before and after update and we could know what change did VW really do.

Quote:
I hope they do, 16k is a bang for the buck to bump the power over 170+ HP.
Pete's remaps have become very affordable now. They were the most expensive once upon a time and now they offer at dirt cheap price. Isn't it 14,250 Rs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

After reading your report bro, I am extremely sceptical & anxious on taking my 1.6 GT TDI for this update from VW.

I don't want to Loose out THE REASON I bought this Car.
I am not able to find out the link where they posted about dyno comparo. It was in one of the international ECU tuning forums.

VW is very smart that way. Peak power and torque figures would be similar like stock. But the power-torque graph is different. Mostly at higher RPM, there is significant loss, especially torque.
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks