Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2016, 16:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpkumar View Post
Hi Tanveer,

Nice mods on the car!

Any plans for a re-map?

My Jetta (which, BTW is the same colour, but the manual comfortline model) has recently completed 2 years with 16K on the odo. Am thinking of getting a re-map done to get the full potential of the 2L engine. A 180 bhp, 400Nm re-map seems quite feasible. Am inclined towards bangalore based T-O-T after reading up some good feedback about them on the forum.

Best,
anandpkumar
Hey, Indeed remap is on the list, Mostly from petes who are remapping for 22k Only, Will be taking the plunge along with another bhpian, Probably by next month, Ping me if you want to join in, You'll have to drive down to Mumbai here, And it would take 1 day from morning till evening for the remap to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
my jetta completed 4th service and in final year of warranty. We can refer to Chetan, who remapped his jetta comfortline manual from Petes and is really a happy chap. The complication is regarding taking out ECU and sending to petes or TOT and then getting it reinstalled. Thats the risk i am considering. Other option is to drive down to bangalore and get the thing done in a day or two.

May be we can meet up and discuss this further.
Yes chetan seems to be pretty satisfied with the remap, I am too plunging in with petes soon, Why not drive down to Mumbai? Mumbai - Gujarat route is superb, Plus it would just take a day for the remap, They would just remove the ecu, Scan it, Send it online and then wait for the revert of the modified scan. One day process.

Quote:
Hi,

Yes, I am based in Ahmedabad; and we should meet up sometime. We do have quite a few things in common to discuss:
Anand
Matter of fact i am coming to Ahmedabad on 10 - 11 - 12th.
Old 8th October 2016, 19:59   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post

Matter of fact i am coming to Ahmedabad on 10 - 11 - 12th.
Excellent. Do PM me when you are in Ahmedabad - we can try and meet up in the evening on one of these days.

Best,
Anand
Old 9th October 2016, 01:42   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Excellent. Do PM me when you are in Ahmedabad - we can try and meet up in the evening on one of these days.

Best,
Anand
Cool, Ill be probably free on the 10th evening/ Night, Will PM you, Mission PGX join in bro.
Old 12th October 2016, 13:29   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Cool, Ill be probably free on the 10th evening/ Night, Will PM you, Mission PGX join in bro.
Missed it since i was out of town for holidays. Did you guys meet up? The option of coming down to mumbai and getting it done sounds cool.
Old 13th October 2016, 15:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Missed it since i was out of town for holidays. Did you guys meet up? The option of coming down to mumbai and getting it done sounds cool.
Unfortunately not, Due to heavy traffic all of my schedule went for a toss, Let me know if you plan to come down to Mumbai for a remap, We can get it done together, I also have another friend who is waiting with me to jump in for the remap.
Old 23rd October 2016, 12:10   #51
Senior - BHPian

Update on the Fatigue Recognition,

Couple of days back, I was amazed by this feature, Let me explain a bit about my day, Started my day around 3 PM, Was driving till 6 PM in heavy city traffic, Took an hours break at home, And then left for Nasik, Reached there, Completed the work in half hour and while returning, Just after around half hour of driving this came up!

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-whatsapp-image-20161023-11.40.18-am.jpeg

Now, I am not 100% sure how does this system work, But AFAIK, It detects, Your steering inputs and the way you accelerate as well, What was amazing though was, How did the system know that i was "Actually" tired! And i did indeed need a break, As soon as the warning came up i felt like experimenting a bit, I accelerated the car and took it above 100 kph and the warning again came up! Time when all this happened was around 3 AM in the night.

I have done several trips to Nasik before as well but the warning never came up, And all my previous trips were mostly for leisure, Warning went away after i stopped for a late night dinner.

I am impressed, Really.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 16:35   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am impressed, Really.
Thank you Tanveer for sharing this, which is probably the ONLY ONLINE proof of this system in action on the New Jetta

There is a reason why the Germans actually harp/brag about their engineering and such instances cements their claim completely.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 16:38   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Thank you Tanveer for sharing this, which is probably the ONLY ONLINE proof of this system in action on the New Jetta

There is a reason why the Germans actually harp/brag about their engineering and such instances cements their claim completely.
Thanks!

I have indeed cross posted this in the Jetta facelift thread as well, ONLY Because even when i was searching over the internet for such reviews or comments, I could not find many, Only a couple of them claimed the system actually worked when they were about to fall asleep or were very tired which was honestly hard to believe, But yes! After this experience i am mighty impressed.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 07:47   #54
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:

Couple of days back, I was amazed by this feature, Let me explain a bit about my day, Started my day around 3 PM, Was driving till 6 PM in heavy city traffic, Took an hours break at home, And then left for Nasik, Reached there, Completed the work in half hour and while returning, Just after around half hour of driving this came up!

Attachment 1569526
I am impressed, Really.
Fabulous. And absolutely necessary in our driving conditions. Really interesting that the vehicle is so intelligent as to detect this!
I m wondering is such a system possible to retro fit in my Yeti...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 08:29   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Fabulous. And absolutely necessary in our driving conditions. Really interesting that the vehicle is so intelligent as to detect this!
I m wondering is such a system possible to retro fit in my Yeti...
It would be possible in Yeti too, If you have a VCD scan of your car, We can find out if your current can gateway supports it and the feature is deactivated, If not you'll have to swap the can gateway,

Usually at the ending of the can gateway model number would be "AK" if so, You'll have to swap it, But if its "AN", It simply has to be activated via Vcd's.
Old 24th October 2016, 11:46   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1569526

Now, I am not 100% sure how does this system work, But AFAIK, It detects, Your steering inputs and the way you accelerate as well, What was amazing though was, How did the system know that i was "Actually" tired! And i did indeed need a break, As soon as the warning came up i felt like experimenting a bit, I accelerated the car and took it above 100 kph and the warning again came up! Time when all this happened was around 3 AM in the night.

I have done several trips to Nasik before as well but the warning never came up, And all my previous trips were mostly for leisure, Warning went away after i stopped for a late night dinner.

I am impressed, Really.
Hi Tanveer,

This is a great update. I do not want to sound pessimistic, but I wonder if the Fatigue Recognition actually works based on steering inputs or the amount of driving time?

Based on your itinerary above you seem to have driven a total of a good 7.5 hours and taken a break of a total of only 1.5 hours. Could it be that VW has actually programmed the car to activate 'Fatigue Detection' if the car has run for 7 / 8 hours some odd in one day without a minimum 'break' time? If this is not the case then it is really awesome technology.
Old 24th October 2016, 11:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi Tanveer,

This is a great update. I do not want to sound pessimistic, but I wonder if the Fatigue Recognition actually works based on steering inputs or the amount of driving time?

Based on your itinerary above you seem to have driven a total of a good 7.5 hours and taken a break of a total of only 1.5 hours. Could it be that VW has actually programmed the car to activate 'Fatigue Detection' if the car has run for 7 / 8 hours some odd in one day without a minimum 'break' time? If this is not the case then it is really awesome technology.
Hello!

This is what VW say's,

Fatigue Detection
The driver Fatigue Detection system automatically analyses the driving characteristics and if they indicate possible fatigue, recommends that the driver takes a break. The system continually evaluates steering wheel movements along with other signals in the vehicle on motorways and others roads at speeds in excess of 65 km/h, and calculates a fatigue estimate. If fatigue is detected, the driver is warned by information in the Multi-function Display and an acoustic signal. The warning is repeated after 15 minutes if the driver has not taken a break. Fatigue Detection cannot replace the driver’s attentiveness. The driver is still legally responsible for the vehicle and therefore determining whether or not they are fit to drive. A driving time of 15 minutes is required in order to assess the driver correctly. The functionality of the system is restricted given a sporty driving style, winding roads and poor road surfaces.

Warning will come up if you drive continuously for more than 6 or 7 hours i read somewhere, But it reset's when you shut down the car, In my case, I had taken a break after every 3 hours or so, So i did not drive 6 or more hours at a stretch for the system to throw up the warning, So surely some other things might have triggered it.

Also when the warning came up and i accelerated till 100 kph from 70-80kph the warning again came up in a few seconds, So surely it uses steering inputs and acceleration as well.

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 24th October 2016 at 11:56. Reason: Adding content.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 14:50   #58
BHPian

Hi tanveer
Which car did you decide upon, i read somewhere in these pages that you were replacing the jetta...
Old 26th October 2016, 12:24   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
Hi tanveer
Which car did you decide upon, i read somewhere in these pages that you were replacing the jetta...
Hello!

Yes indeed, I have narrowed it down to A6 3TDI, test drove one too! Loved the car, unfortunately not the dealer, and also looking for a 530D, waiting for the "One" to come across,

Unfortunately, finding such beasts in good condition with Warranty/BSI is not very easy, even after that the dealer/person selling it also matters.

Lets see how things go, by the time I am also planning to remap the Jetta. Its all so confusing right now. With next year just around the corner, I would be able to get good discounts on new cars as well. Lets see how and when things fall into place.

Last edited by manson : 29th October 2016 at 18:35. Reason: Typos.
Old 29th October 2016, 17:43   #60
BHPian

Quote:

Yes indeed, I have narrowed it down to A6 3TDI, test drove one too! Loved the car, unfortunately not the dealer, and also looking for a 530D, waiting for the "One" to come across,
Well, you can go for the current gen A6, 5 or E if you don't mind as you will get huge discounts. But then shaman and the likes have some brilliant stocks, try pushing for a year old and you'll be amazed at the depreciation.
I simply love the Jetta, just that a new one is too expensive for me, and will look for one in the used car market 6-8 months down the line to replace my Captiva.

Last edited by manson : 29th October 2016 at 18:35. Reason: Typos.

Most Viewed