In spite of its’ ’hot hatch’ lineage, actually a lady friendly car
Predictable and pliant suspension set up

Dislikes:

Not as well equipped as competition, need to shell out more for accessories
Average rear seat space, Nissan Micra and Hyundai Grand i10 offer better space
Limited availability in dealerships
Limited colour options for TSI models
No split rear seats, limited practicality
Only one remote key fob, no spare (tight margins?)

In India, I think there is no other car that fits the title description so aptly. If you do not have a keen eye, you can hardly differentiate a Polo GT from the regular Polos. Apart from the badges, stickers and grill; there is no other giveaway.

Even the way it drives, it has that dual character. You can ease along at 40kmph in the city hardly hearing the engine. Get an open stretch of road, floor the throttle, and the monster inside awakens!

I had a 2001 Alto VX with me which was my daily ride for some time. When I bought a new car in 2011, I retained the Alto to be used as a second car. Although being more than a decade old, she rode well. I put a lot of care in her upkeep and she reciprocated in kind giving me more than 120,000km of, more or less, problem free miles (or kilometres as the case may be).

As my son grew older and started attending school, my wife had time to resume her practise. The Alto then became her daily ride. Although we had a driver, there were times when she would have to drive herself when he isn’t around. Being inexperienced, she found the hassle of city traffic unnerving and found driving around town a hassle. This put a restrain on her freedom. That is when we decided to change over to an automatic hatch that would take away some of the driving strain. September 2014 was our tenth wedding anniversary. So I thought, why not make this car her anniversary gift. She was of course thrilled about it and so, the shopping began.

Criteria:
1. Had to be a hatchback. She was quite nervous about reversing sedans and so automatic sedans were an absolute no.
2. Safety – Airbags, ABS (rest if available would be happily accepted).
3. Budget cap of 10 lakhs - so Mercs, Mini Coopers, Volvos out.
4. Relatively new model

Cars considered:

First Option:

I suggested the GT TSI as it fit all the safety and budget constraints. I must confess that I was a bit self indulgent here. No doubt, even I would be driving the car.

Unfortunately, dealers in Kerala were not too eager to sell GT Polos. We visited EVM in Kochi. They were talking of 6 month waiting periods. They even tried to dissuade us saying people who booked GTs last year are still to take delivery. Further, the new GT was still not available for sale in Kerala. Other dealers didn't even have orders.

We were given test drive of a manual petrol which my wife really loved. But the thought of driving a manual was a downer. We left word with them to call us when they have a change of heart. I also sent an email to Volkswagen about my desire to purchase a new GT TSI and not being able to do so, because of the poor allotment to Kerala (In spite of there being so many eager buyers).

Second option:
Hyundai Grand i10

This car fit almost all criteria. It was comfortable, good interior space and easily driveable. But sadly, it lacked one critical feature, no airbags or ABS. It was not available even as an option. The automatic variant did not have a reverse camera either. But this could be added at the dealer at extra cost. I had emailed Hyundai this query; unfortunately there was never a reply. I guess, adding airbags and ABS, would push the costs to i20 levels which would create logistical problems if sales do not match.

Third option:
Nissan Micra XV CVT

At this point, I was really getting depressed. We were going from, DSG to Torque converter and to now, CVT. Although to my wife this would not have made much difference, I knew very well the difference it would make. But after having test driven the car, I must say this isn’t quite that bad. If you are an enthusiast, you will definitely find it lacking. For regular city drives, its’ more than capable. It is also more suited to newbie drivers due to the smoother acceleration.

This is quite an under rated car. It was loaded with features; ABS, EBD, Dual airbags (The XV Premium Diesel had 4 airbags!), electrically foldable side mirrors, keyless entry with push button start, rear view camera, the works.

We almost purchased this car and put in our booking deposit along with request for accessories worth Rs. 60,000.

The Honda Brio VX AT was not considered as my wife did not find it's rear end appealing.

Meanwhile, EVM Kochi called wondering if I was interested in buying their test drive GT TSI car. With a heavy heart, I told them, ‘not interested’.

We unfortunately (or fortunately) had a bad sales experience at EVM Nissan. The staff and sales were all courteous and accommodating no doubt. Unfortunately, they were not very well informed. We were assured delivery in 2 weeks. I was initially offered an exchange bonus for my old car. Only to be told a week later by a grim looking sales guy that, ‘Oops sorry that offer is only for the sedan’. The sales manager was non-compliant to any ‘special’ requests by the sales team. I decided not to make a big issue out of it as I could cover that cost by selling the car myself (A neighbour was already eager to buy it).

We had opted for the Olive Green colour as it wasn’t very common and also didn’t stand out much. 2 weeks after booking we were told there was some issue with this colour option with the Indian Army. We were offered a Crimson Red model. Neither my wife nor I were keen. We were asked to wait for a week longer. 2 weeks later, after receiving no calls, I enquired. Apparently they had now got clearance for the colour. But we would have to wait another three weeks as the earlier order was not accepted and a fresh order would have to placed. I thought ‘enough is enough‘ and decided to cancel the booking and wait it out for the Polo. My booking amount was refunded without fuss. And we were left wondering about the state of affairs in our country.

Okay, enough cribbing! Mistakes happen to everyone, right? So I forgave and forgot (until I made this post of course).

The Happy Experience:

Volkswagen were very responsive to email and queries, which I found very surprising, considering the poor reviews I read everywhere. I was assured that the new GT TSI is indeed available and my dealer in Kochi will be contacting me. One fine day, I received a delightful call from my wife. The VW salesperson (Mr. Afsal, a really enthusiastic chap) was at her clinic. 15 new GTs had been allotted for Kerala that year. So, “If you haven’t already bought the Micra, the GT TSI is available for delivery in a month’s time”. The booking was immediately made. ‘Madam’ wanted the Night Blue colour. I was for the Flash Red. The blue, however, was only available on the GT TDI for some reason. So Flash Red it was.

A week later, Mr. Shibu, the team leader at EVM Volkswagen called. He was with us from the beginning. He was quite aware of my predicament (and desperation) of not being able to gift my wife her car in time. As you would have it, another colour option, Carbon Steel, had just left the factory in Chakan. If I was interested, next week, it would be mine. He had the same colour Polo and brought it over to my residence. ‘Madam’ was happy it was not as flashy as the ‘Flash’ red. At the same time, it was close to the subtle good looks of the Night blue that she wanted. So Carbon Steel it was!

Cost:
Ex. Showroom (Including VAT) - Rs. 832644/-
Registration + Tax (RTO Thrissur) - Rs. 67012/-
Insurance (Oriental Insurance, B2B with Zero Dep) - Rs. 8994 (with no claim bonus carried over from the 2001 Alto, minus 'Head Office' discount, minus 'Underwriter' discount)

One week later, after the Loan formalities with Volkswagen Finance (9.99% on a five year loan), the car was ready for delivery after the accessories were fitted. There was a delay of two days, waiting for engineers from Germany who apparently do the PDI for TSI and DSG equipped cars.

The car was delivered with the usual curios, complimentary floor mats, mud flaps and (surprise, surprise) 10 liters of fuel. Even my Volvo was handed to me years ago with barely 5 litres in the tank (with a reminder to fill up outside).

Good going, EVM Volkswagen.

I must say, seeing the car in this colour among the Red and White cars outside, I was not disappointed with my wife’s decision.

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-20141110_172916.jpg

The colour looks best in daylight than in artificial light

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-front-view.jpg

The car came with Apollo Alnacs(R15, 185/60). Drove straight from showroom to my regular tyre guy (DBS Tyres) and changed to Michelin 3STs (195/60) which I had ordered earlier. The spare was an R14, which I retained.

The drive:

There are enough and more reviews and ownership threads here of this car. Not a single owner is disappointed with its performance. Needless to say, I purchased this car even without a test drive.

105 bhp may not be great by international standards. This engine is an option in the standard Polo abroad. In UK/Europe, you also get a hyper efficient 1 litre 3 cylinder TSI with stop start tech. The GT, or rather, GTI label has been reserved for it's 140 and 170 bhp brethren. This car is just a stage I or II mod away from those numbers. But given our present road conditions, I am sure this car (even in its default state of tune) can give any car in its class ( and most cars 2 classes above) a run for their money in terms of performance.

The engine bay had these rubber beadings and bushes with insulation material under the bonnet which reduces the noise of an already quiet engine. You can hear engine noise only when you start the car. Once the rpm settles down, you can hardly hear it with the windows closed. You need to look at the tacho to know that the engine is running. Its' that quiet.

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-engine-bay.jpg

The gearbox is a real joy. I had previously experienced the DSG gearbox only in diesel engines. It was really delightful to experience this coupled to a very smooth and quite engine. I can only imagine how beautiful a DSG would be with a 1.8 TSI engine car. This one goes about it's business unobtrusively. From 3rd gear, you have to look at the MID to know that its changing gears. The second gear is perceptible, especially during downshifts. It automatically downshifts while you are slowing down. This suits my driving style a lot. I prefer to use engine braking to slow down and this gearbox complements that perfectly. For a smooth transition to a bylane or an apartment complex from the main road, if there is not much traffic, you can actually make the turn without touching the brakes. Same thing with U-turns.

For city and occasional highway drives the present brake set up seems adequate. For spirited driving, a rear disc brake setup is desirable.

I have not faced any of the gearbox jerking or braking issues yet.

The suspension is rather pliant and quite out of character with the GT badge. This ensures comfortable city drives and reasonably good highway stability. But it is quite easy to reach it's compliance limits if you get a little enthusiastic at the curves. Its' definitely not meant for spirited driving.

Mileage is between 9 kmpl (when I drive) to 12 kmpl with my wife / driver. This is almost complete city drive with heavy traffic. We have not gone on any significant long drives in this car yet. Maximum was a to and fro trip of around 150 km which gave 14 kmpl with average of 60 kmph speeds.

The double barrel headlights add character to the car. I found them adequate for city drives. For highway runs, the low beam is found wanting.

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-headlamps.jpg

This is a close up of the high beam

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-high-beam.jpg

Another of the low beam

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-low-beam.jpg

This is the cornering light in action with wheels turned to left. Quite effective, its' difficult to drive without these once you get used to them.

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-cornering-light.jpg

Close up of the cornering lights

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-close-up-cornering.jpg

The rear spoiler is quite subtle at night in this colour.

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-spoiler.jpg

Interiors:

I adore the black interior theme in the car. If you have kids at home, you’ll know how easily a lighter shade interior can get spoiled with smudges, finger prints and the like. No such issues here. I was a bit worried how it would affect the heat in summer. But that worry was unwarranted. The air-conditioning is quite effective. Even with a humid climate such as in Kerala, the interiors cool up in less than five minutes.

The upholstery is a grey and black affair with a slight retro style theme to it. Personally, I found it satisfactory in appearance and matched the general colour of the car. It will be no match though, to the premium feel of a good quality leather interior. This car is used for dropping my son and his friends to school daily, so it is expected to wear out pretty soon. I plan to change to leathers once this happens. I will hold on to my purse till then.

The rear seat space is just average. After sitting in the rear seats of the Micra and the Grand i10, this was a disappointment. However, since we don’t plan to use this car for long trips often, we didn’t find it a bother. Besides, most in my immediate family are of average height. The rest use the front seat. However, if you have two tall relatives travelling together, they are bound to end up sore.

Although the boot space at nearly 300 litres is quite adequate, I miss not having a split rear seat. There were instances in the past, when I had to use this feature in my other cars while travelling with two passengers and unconventional luggage (eg. a cycle, cloth stand). Knowing thats’ not possible here is a downer. I will have to explore possibilities of getting this modification done in future (Not messing around with the interiors now).

I was surprised to see only a spare key and no remote in the kit. The spare has to be ordered separately and is not available at purchase. Very sad that Volkswagen is skimping on parts. The alloy wheels on the GT are of a lower quality than those offered earlier. On suhaas307’s thread he has mentioned lack of leather on hand brake and no upholstery on door pads. Are we talking about that much tight margins here?

There were not much accessories you can add on without voiding warranty. I was warned that Volkswagen is very picky about it. The stock ICE (RCD320) was quite decent. But I wished to have an integrated reverse camera display also. I also wanted to add on parking sensors to the front bumper. The ICE upgrade and camera were agreed upon. But front sensors were not. Warranty could not be guaranteed with the front sensors.

The centre arm rest from Vagtunes. This was picked up and installed by the dealer prior to delivery. The fabric on the armrest is almost same as that of the door armrests. This should have been standard at least on the automatic polo.
VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-arm-rest.jpg
VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-arm-rest-storage.jpg
VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-armrest-vs-upholstery.jpg

The head unit is a Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835. There are enough reviews on it in this forum, so not going into details. Its’ been specifically made for VAG cars and hence have that neat OEM look to it. I was actually convinced into buying the ‘Konekt’ package that comes in the Vento Konekt. The accessories team visited my house and convinced my son that he would enjoy the Tablet that comes with this in the back seat. I was given a 'discounted' rate which was anyway much above the market value.

This unit also has CAN bus support. So it is possible to display parking sensors in the head unit. This was not enabled to me due to, again, warranty issues. It required further tweaking outside the showroom. After 2 minor bumper scrapes, I decided to take my chances and add on the front sensors. As no wire cutting/splicing was involved, hopefully warranty won’t be affected.

Sugesh and his Vagtunes is fortunately quite close to where I live. I would like to take this chance to mention his team here. Quite a down to earth and straight forward guy, he was honest to tell me that the sensors may not display on the screen in this Head unit. I was okay at least if audio alerts were there. I had the sensors installed. He, however, felt this work was incomplete and tried for hours to get the sensors relayed to the headunit. For a mere few thousands extra for some cables, he was able to get the unit to display the sensors. Kudos to him for this. His knowledge on VAG cars has ensured him a very good fan following. Such that, he has more customers from outside Kerala now, many of whom drive down to Kochi to get mods done. Vagtunes is now open in Bangalore. And I am told, very soon, in Hyderabad and Chennai as well.

Head unit integrates very well. Looks almost factory fit.

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-hu.jpg

USB, SD and micro SD (navigation) slots hidden behind these dummy buttons which can be opened to reveal the slots.

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-front-usb.jpg

The navigation is an IGO Primo software which is decent enough. I have seen that some Team BHP members have MapMyIndia with this system. I hardly ever use navigation on head units. I trust Google Maps for that.

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-navi.jpg

This is the Blaupunkt tablet that serves as a rear entertainment unit. Enough to keep fidgety kids occupied on long drives or (as in Kochi) in long traffic jams.

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-rse.jpg

Its’ fixed to this adjustable clamp which can be removed. The power/ USB cord (in circle) can be detached when not in use

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-clamp-base.jpg

It also has an independent power cable which was routed through the rear seat,

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-power-base.jpg

and below the gearbox console into the power outlet in the center console. This is the only sore sight in this set up.

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-20150314_174554.jpg

That's the power plug next to the socket. The other cable is the rear USB cable of the head unit which I got routed through a hole under the AC module. I actually wanted it in the glove box, but they were quite reluctant to drill a hole in the glovebox and advised against it.

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-power-usb.jpg

That's a close up of the hole under the AC module

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-rear-usb-out.jpg

Parking sensors display.
It displays progressively as distance in cms and change in colour as object appears closer. The blue square on the bottom right is to change to reverse camera display. It can be programmed to either show sensor or camera as default while engaging reverse gear. The disadvantage is that you cannot have display of camera with an on-lay of sensor display. This is possible in the Dynavin N6.

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-parking-sensors.jpg

That's the reverse camera view. The camera fitted at the showroom is pretty basic but is good enough and has decent night visibility. The yellow grids in this are for show only and are non functional. Tapping on the screen again will bring it back to the sensors view

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-rear-camera.jpg

I also added on this auto dimming mirror (again from Sugesh's Vagtunes). It has light sensors in front and rear

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-auto-dimming.jpg
VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-autodimming-sensor.jpg

Few more words on the Blaupunkt tablet:

Its called a RSE or Rear Seat Entertainment Package. It has no physical or software connection with the head unit. It is an independent tablet that may be connected to the HU via bluetooth for audio. You can also use headphones if you don't want to disturb others.

The tablet is not a powerhouse and can be termed average.

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-software.jpg

Viewing angles on the display are also limited. But for kids it will suffice. To use its' full potential as a browser, you have to either put in a SIM or open up a WiFi set up in the car (possibly through a mobile connected to a charger). I have tried this and it works well.

My only grouse is that it always opens up in the Konnect launcher as default.
VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-tab-screen.jpg

One has to go through two menus;

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-launchermenu.jpg
VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-laundher.jpg

to get to the Android Screen

VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night-android.jpg

But this soon became a non issue. Kids being Techno savvy as they are today, my 7 year old son easily figured it out. I now no longer need to help him when he needs to play with it.

A common complaint among Polo owners was that the horn was not loud enough. I felt that way too. It was actually depressing to hear the 'poop poop' sound of the horn from inside the car as I drove it from the showroom. I called up Mr. Shibu (the team leader) the next day and asked if I could change the horn as it sounded puny. He very reassuringly told me to listen to the horn standing outside the car and I would be satisfied. And he was right, the sound was a more satisfactory 'Paaaap!'

Earlier there were complaints of too much of the horn sounding inside the car. I guess they engineered something around that. I stuck to the factory horn which, for most purposes, I feel is adequate.

A short video to illustrate this fact. The 'sound' should speak 'louder' than my words.

Service:

This car has only run around 6500 km so far. The first service reminder just came in a few days ago on the DIM for 'Inspection'. This required only an engine oil top up and was done free of charge. The MID is counting down next service from 7500 km now.

The only servicing prior to this was for repairs. My car got rear ended by another car two weeks into ownership when my driver was behind the wheel. It wasn't his fault apparently. To be fair to the guy who rear ended the car (owner of a modded Polo himself), he reimbursed the whole painting and dent repairs which cost around Rs.5000/-.

Even before I installed the front sensors, in the first month, the front bumper got horribly scraped on a wall at a parking lot. Bumper replacement and painting with labour cost around Rs.7000/-. Quite a painful experience for a new car owner, I almost fired my driver. But his honesty surpasses his lack of driving skills. And honesty is hard to come by these days. So I cooled down and retained him. No such incidents since.

I have maintained a good relation with the sales and service team and so far my experiences at EVM Kochi at Cheranalloor have been pleasant.

At 6500km, there has been no major service, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

My impression (and My Wife's!):

This car is already known to be an enthusiast’s car. With 105bhp on a 1140kg car, what else can you expect? Add on a fast shifting DSG and you have Nirvana on four wheels. But I would like to put in another perspective on this car.

You would wonder, won’t all this make it difficult for women to drive? Especially if they are not exactly driving enthusiasts.

Absolutely not! My wife is quite comfortable driving the GT. She does not have to be worried about gearshifts. Shift into D and it’ll go about it's business without any fuss. You will hardly notice its’ changing gears unless you look at the MID in the instrument cluster. It even downshifts for you as you slow down so that you can take that U – turn without touching the brake. If you are in a tight spot while overtaking or getting onto the highway from a side road, it has enough power to pull you through safely.

The car has very good all round visibility. Couple that with parking sensors and you’ll have no parking issues either.

The 'Hill hold' feature will ensure that your car doesn't roll downwards when starting on an incline.

'Anti pinch' feature on all windows ensure your's or your kid's hands don't get inadvertently stuck when closing them.

If a waiting period is not an issue, I would highly recommend this car to the lady drivers out there. This a safe, comfortable and driveable car for you and your family.

And when mommy’s not driving, daddy can be the boy racer he wants to be, for a few seconds, when he floors the throttle!

Last edited by GTO : 21st May 2015 at 10:10. Reason: Spacing :)
psispace is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 23:23   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section). Thanks for sharing!
Old 20th May 2015, 23:46   #3
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night

Congratulations on your new ride psispace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post

The Happy Experience:

Volkswagen were very responsive to email and queries, which I found very surprising, considering the poor reviews I read everywhere. I was assured that the new GT TSI is indeed available and my dealer in Kochi will be contacting me. One fine day, I received a delightful call from my wife. The VW salesperson (Mr. Afsal, a really enthusiastic chap) was at her clinic. 15 new GTs had been allotted for Kerala that year.
I had the opportunity to interact with Afsal in this April when we were out to purchase a sedan and I agree that he is a wonderful chap. During our enquiry, we got trapped at edappally in traffic jam and this guy stayed beyond showroom hours because we had called up and told him that we were coming!

Though we finally brought home a Honda City, I'd recommend this guy for anyone who goes shopping for a VW

Could you tell me (if you don't mind) how much did you sell your Alto for? We have a 2001 coral Beige VX 1.1 that has only run 38,000 KM always serviced at MASS and has been well kept (I am the first and only owner)
govindremesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 00:10   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
Congratulations on your new ride psispace!
Thanks for your wishes.

Quote:
I had the opportunity to interact with Afsal in this April when we were out to purchase a sedan and I agree that he is a wonderful chap.
A good sales person goes a long way in making your buying experience more delightful than painful.
This young guy is pursuing a degree on the side. So the extra time he spends with us is that much more precious to him.
My wife and I were so impressed, we made it a point to individually gift the sales team when we took delivery.

Quote:
Could you tell me (if you don't mind) how much did you sell your Alto for? We have a 2001 coral Beige VX 1.1 that has only run 38,000 KM always serviced at MASS and has been well kept (I am the first and only owner)
I have PMed you regarding this. Hope you get a decent price.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st May 2015 at 10:52. Reason: Removed unwanted quote tag.
Old 21st May 2015, 14:04   #5
BHPian

Re: VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night

Congrats on buying the beast. Carbon steel looks good but red suits more for its GT nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post
There was a delay of two days, waiting for engineers from Germany who apparently do the PDI for TSI and DSG equipped cars
Wow!! are you sure about it? because due to economical reasons I highly doubt this and moreover I don`t remember seeing any BHPians mentioning this in their ownership review.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 21st May 2015 at 14:33. Reason: Spacing...
Old 21st May 2015, 14:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo GT TSI: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Wife's Car by day, Hot Hatch by night

Congratulations for the GT TSi. It looks so understated in this shade.

Any reason for upgrading from the Apollo Alnac to Michelin? While I know wider tyres = better braking and better grip. From what I have heard from my friends and other forum members is, that for most of the driving conditions, the Apollo tyres are very competent.

Quote:
Earlier there were complaints of too much of the horn sounding inside the car. I guess they engineered something around that. I stuck to the factory horn which, for most purposes, I feel is adequate.

A short video to illustrate this fact. The 'sound' should speak 'louder' than my words.
Interesting. Never knew about this before. Thanks for sharing.
Old 21st May 2015, 14:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Congrats on buying the beast. Carbon steel looks good but red suits more for its GT nature.

Wow!! are you sure about it? because due to economical reasons I highly doubt this and moreover I don`t remember seeing any BHPians mentioning this in their ownership review.
Thanks for your wishes. I too feel the flash red is the best colour suited for the car. But to each his own.

I seriously doubt the engineers were flown in to just to check my car. Its' not a Bugatti Veyron.(I wish it were though)

They must have been around as part of a comprehensive inspection of the facilities and most probably wanted to make sure the first batches of the new GTs go problem free. I was just lucky (or unlucky because of the delay) that they were around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Congratulations for the GT TSi. It looks so understated in this shade.

Any reason for upgrading from the Apollo Alnac to Michelin? While I know wider tyres = better braking and better grip. From what I have heard from my friends and other forum members is, that for most of the driving conditions, the Apollo tyres are very competent.

Interesting. Never knew about this before. Thanks for sharing.
The Apollo Alnacs are quite competent but I swear by Michelins. They offer good all weather capability (important in Kerala) and grip. The Primacy 3ST series are also very quite at speed and you don't hear any tyre roar. I was happy they were available in this size.(An information I got from Team BHP itself).
I have the same tyres in Volvo and the difference from the earlier Continentals is very apparent. What I felt was a quite cabin earlier became even quieter. The down side to this was that the engine drone is now more noticeable at higher revs.(Not a problem in the GT)

I was surprised about the horn too. No doubt I was biased by earlier reviews.
I am sure if I had called someone else in the showroom, they would have just sold me another accessory (a new horn).

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st May 2015 at 14:47. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts.
Old 21st May 2015, 15:01   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase. Although there are a lot of GT TSI reports on the forum, every one of them brings out a new perspective of the car. Thanks for the detailed description of the konnect package and the front parking sensor integration.

Wishing you miles of happiness with the car
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 19:32   #9
BHPian

Congrats on the TSI. We too have a GT TSI at home (separate thread later).

Regarding the headlamps, please change them to Philips Diamond Vision H7 bulbs. I have used them extensively on my 2012 Vento and also on the GT TSI. They are the best upgrade I have found without increasing wattage.

I usually get around 11kmpl in the GT TSI. Shifting to Shell Premium increased mileage on the same route to ~13 kmpl. Now that Shell V Power is available close to my house, my last 2 fill ups have given me ~15 kmpl in the city and (you wont beleive it) 24 kmpl on the Pune-Bombay Expressway (80 kmph, AC on, D mode). Fuel quality matters A LOT with the TSI.
Old 21st May 2015, 20:06   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
Congrats on the TSI. We too have a GT TSI at home (separate thread later).

Regarding the headlamps, please change them to Philips Diamond Vision H7 bulbs. I have used them extensively on my 2012 Vento and also on the GT TSI. They are the best upgrade I have found without increasing wattage.

I usually get around 11kmpl in the GT TSI. Shifting to Shell Premium increased mileage on the same route to ~13 kmpl. Now that Shell V Power is available close to my house, my last 2 fill ups have given me ~15 kmpl in the city and (you wont beleive it) 24 kmpl on the Pune-Bombay Expressway (80 kmph, AC on, D mode). Fuel quality matters A LOT with the TSI.
Thanks for the tips.

And thats' really superb mileage on the highway!
I think I'll have to drive at 2 AM on our highways here for an empty stretch of road for that kind of mileage.
We don't have that luxury here in Kerala.

I think its tough to get Premium fuel (High Octane) in Kochi.
No Shell outlets that I know of here either. (Any Kochiites have any info?)
Old 21st May 2015, 21:25   #11
BHPian

Congratulations on owning the most aspirational car in that segment!

Yes the Polo GT TSI is a car that can wear many hats. I have been eyeing one for a while now and like I have mentioned one day these threads are going to cost me a lot of money.

I am sure once your wife gets a hang of the fun to drive factor she will enjoy the car even more. The colour looks nice and sober and the paint quality on these VWs is always top notch. I love the red though which while being quite common looks smashing.

Get the remaps done mate and don't deprive the racer in you for long. One test drive has me sold and like my Vento i love the way few cars catch you once you go full throttle once the light turns green.

If you dont mind please share the cost of the Konect package. You could PM me as well. Thanks.

Enjoy and drive safe!
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 11:22   #12
BHPian

Congrats psispace, on owning one of the Dream Car!

With regards to Shell pumps, I highly doubt their presence in Kerala..
unni246 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 16:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
I am sure once your wife gets a hang of the fun to drive factor she will enjoy the car even more.
True. Where earlier I was scoffed at for driving fast, my wife has already started driving at higher speeds without realizing it. Now, I actually have to remind her to back off a bit.

Quote:
Get the remaps done mate and don't deprive the racer in you for long. One test drive has me sold and like my Vento i love the way few cars catch you once you go full throttle once the light turns green.
Now that they are easily available, the remap and other mods are definitely planned for the future.
As this is mostly a mommy wagon, it will stay sober for now.

Quote:
If you don't mind please share the cost of the Konect package. You could PM me as well. Thanks.
I have PMed you regarding this.
psispace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 09:41   #14
BHPian

Sorry guys, the bulbs are Philips Xtreme Vision, NOT Diamond Vision, as I mentioned earlier in my post. Diamond Vision are bluish in colour. Xtreme Vision is the best 60/55W bulbs you can buy for the VW Polo and Vento. I have tried Hella Rallye, Osram Nightbreakers + Unlimited, none of them are as good as the Xtreme Vision. I travel a lot at night so good lights is a must for me. My fogs too are Philips Xtreme Vision.
Overall, my lights are way better than the stock bulb setup given by VW.
Old 3rd August 2015, 23:03   #15
BHPian

Hey congrats on your TSI
Did you notice a change is the sound quality after upgrading to Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 ? Are you using the stock speakers ?
Please share your experience

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks