Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2015, 22:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the silver Zest. Very elegant looking. Booked my Red Bolt Revotron yesterday. Planning for all its and a tyre upsize. Cheers.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 22:54   #17
BHPian

Narayan thanks.. And congratulations for booking the Bolt too. These are wonderful products. BTW why are you planning tyre upsize? I feel zest Bolt tyres strikes perfect balance between handling mileage and comfort. Also please keep in mind revt is very sensitive wrt mileage and varies hugely on driving style. Sedate driving with all the best practices will fetch you awesome mileage you won't believe you can get from a petrol car but a bit harsh input on acc will drop it to 9-10 range... And I think tyre upsize would also effect mileage quite heavily ...
Old 19th October 2015, 12:37   #18
BHPian

Re: From Zen to Zilva - The silver Tata Zest 1.2L Revotron

7000 Km update -

Last week crossed 7000kms Odo now reads 7100km.

Getting mileage of 13-14 kmpl in city with ac.
No long trips recently

Issue update -

At around 6k km's couple of time I got the loss of power and MIL, check engine lights came on.
On discussing the Issue with arindam_xeta, he suggested me to drive in the turbo range - ie, shift at rpm's 1.5-1.7k, as he was suggested to do the same by service center guys. I followed his advice and the issue never cropped up. Guess was driving the car in lower rpm range. I used to shift at 1.3-1.4 k rpm.

Apart from this Zilva is rock steady and reliable.

In between I got hit by a biker from behind while standing at a signal - The black area under the bumper collapsed and got that fixed by a local mechanic by using oxyacetylene flame from inside. The area is now as good as new.

Also wanted to do the DIY noodle mat installation for a long time, as interior of Zilva was getting too dirty very often due to the regular commute and was having to vacuum every alternative week, which am too lazy and wasn't finding enough time to do.

So saturday went to gariahat market and bought 20 sqft of noodle mats - specs are as below
Cost - Rs 1350
Measurement - 2.5*2 (2 peices) , 2.5*4 (one piece)
Other items bought - velcro, feviquick, cutter blade, marker - total Rs 50
Color - Maroon - (Only green, blue and red and maroon were available as mat rolls)

Sunday took 3 hours to stencil the area with newspaper and cut out the mats in exact shape. Used Velcro at the back of the mats so that they don't displace. Over all am happy with the fit and looks. Initially thought maroon would look bad but it doesn't as much as I imagined would love to know everybody's opinion regarding the looks as well .

Now let the pics do the talking

From Zen to Zilva - The silver Tata Zest 1.2L Revotron-img_20151018_122609577.jpg

From Zen to Zilva - The silver Tata Zest 1.2L Revotron-img_20151018_122624959.jpg

From Zen to Zilva - The silver Tata Zest 1.2L Revotron-img_20151018_122651812.jpg

From Zen to Zilva - The silver Tata Zest 1.2L Revotron-img_20151018_122655684.jpg

From Zen to Zilva - The silver Tata Zest 1.2L Revotron-img_20151018_122659609.jpg

From Zen to Zilva - The silver Tata Zest 1.2L Revotron-img_20151018_122928768.jpg

From Zen to Zilva - The silver Tata Zest 1.2L Revotron-img_20151018_122937789.jpg

From Zen to Zilva - The silver Tata Zest 1.2L Revotron-img_20151018_122954230.jpg

From Zen to Zilva - The silver Tata Zest 1.2L Revotron-img_20151018_123005703.jpg

Last edited by Prithwitheraj : 19th October 2015 at 12:42. Reason: Pictures not showing up
Prithwitheraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 21:04   #19
BHPian

Hi Prithwiraj.
I finally came across your ownership review of Zest and read through it. Loved your narration and pictures, great. Do keep updating the thread on how you are finding life with Zilva! Congrats! and happy miles both!
arindam_xeta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 23:44   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithwitheraj View Post

At around 6k km's couple of time I got the loss of power and MIL, check engine lights came on.
On discussing the Issue with arindam_xeta, he suggested me to drive in the turbo range - ie, shift at rpm's 1.5-1.7k, as he was suggested to do the same by service center guys. I followed his advice and the issue never cropped up. Guess was driving the car in lower rpm range. I used to shift at 1.3-1.4 k
Why would the check engine light be lit if you are not spoiling the turbo? My advice would be to let the service guys check once and discover the root cause.

By the way, neat job there with the mats.
Regards.
Old 25th August 2016, 17:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Why would the check engine light be lit if you are not spoiling the turbo? My advice would be to let the service guys check once and discover the root cause.
---Right and since the power loss issue have come back I have done so. More details in the coming up update

By the way, neat job there with the mats.

-- Thanks man
Old 25th August 2016, 18:12   #22
BHPian

From Zen to Zilva - The silver Tata Zest 1.2L Revotron [18800 kms Update]

18800 km's update

1 year 7 months and 18800 kms later Zilva is going great guns. Lets get on with some data first and then the experience.

Cost of ownership till date (Apart from the loan payments and last 200 km's travelled have not been considered)

1. Petrol filled till date - Rs 94,155.30 for 18600 kms. Per Km cost Rs 5.06
2. Car care (Including shampoo/tyre dresser wax, car cleaning guy) - Rs 14,000.00 Per Km cost Rs 0.752
3. Servicing Cost (Service cost details given below) Rs- 4012 Per Km cost Rs 0.215
Total - Rs 113967.30 for 18600 kms Per Km cost Rs 6.02

Fuel cost details - (I use Drivvo android app to track)

From Zen to Zilva - The silver Tata Zest 1.2L Revotron-whatsapp-image-20160825-6.01.11-pm-3.jpeg

Service cost details given below
Polish and waxing at second service Rs 2085
15882 km service - Rs 912
Insurance claim for fender repair Rs 1000

Now coming back to the feedback. The car has mostly been driven daily for 50 kms. I have also started car pooling while going to and coming back from office, thus zilva also do face some amount of abuse time to time in case any new members join the car pool. Zilva was initially baby'd but after first 6 months I started to enjoy the drive more than worrying about his health.

First the over all feedback -

Apart from some issues Zilva has been mechanically holding up well and have been driving tight and reliably till date. Till now I am in love with it, and my wife says I just make up reasons so that I get to drive zilve .

All the buttons, tactile feedbacks everything is working like the way they did when zilva was new. No glitches from sound system either, it sounds as sweet as it was before. Talking of sound system I need to mention, I have started listening to uncompressed dolby digital tracks in Zilva and the surround effect is just amazing. Only thing I will have to do is convert the ac3 audios to aac format and put it in SD card and plug and play from the SD card. Also I am considering to make ways to watch movies from the back seat. The plan is to install android device so that everyone seating in the back have proper view of it and then just play it's audio via bluetooth in the harman system and leverage the amazing 5.1 sound reproduction and enjoy theatre effect in the car itself. Haven't done this yet as I don't let any one else drive my car and no use installing something which I won't be able to enjoy .

Now all the issues that I faced with Zilva in this 1.7 years

1. The most important Loss of Power -

Issue -
As many 2014 zest adopters have reported this I started getting this issue from 6k KM's, but this vanished on two occasions when I got this issue for the first time I started
to upshift in the 1.7 - 2k rpm range and issue didn't resurface along with that I got my air filter cleaned in one of the free checkup camps. But post 14k km's after second service the issue started crop back again
and started hitting harder.

Describing the issue a bit here- The issue is very intermittent and have noticed this to happen only during hotter days and when I am driving with auto climate on with ECO mode on and temperature set to a specific. When I am driving in a constant speed in
the ranges of 55-60 in higher gears 4th or 5th for a couple of seconds the car felt like choking and started loosing speed. after 2-3 seconds it becomes normal on it's own. When this happens inititally I used to downshift to 3d gear so that i don't loose the accelaration.
After getting this issue multiple times I contacted TML and asked them the below -
"Can we have the filters checked/cleaned, the fuel pump and injectors checked and cleaned/replaced if required? Also please do check if a ECU update is available/required."

Solution -
When I was at 15882 kms They worked on this and said eveything was cleaned and nothing was required to be replaced and delivered me the car. For 15 days the issue was gone and I was starting to believe that the issue has been resolved. But on the 16th day it again started
to come back and now worse than before.

When this occured last couple of times I was in relatively congestion less road and could experiment with the issue for a couple of times. Once when this occurred I didn't downshift and just turned off the AC and the pickup was back instantly.
Another time I thought I would do nothing and see what happens. The car finally stopped with jerks with some error light in dhasboards. For example MIL, Check Engine, battery etc.

I reported this back to TML guys again. And this time also told them
to check the AC pipes/hoses since the issue instantly was gone on turning off the issue + obd log may have some error information. The TML guys called me back and said they have checked with their engineers and other related complaints and my Fuel pump
will be replaced and ECU need to be updated to RT 11. They arranged the part before hand by ordering those from Pune and upon the parts arrival took a apoointment and did the job and delivered the car just in a day (Who says TML isn't responsive?!).

Post that service (at 18600km) my oh my- Zilva is new. ECO mode with ACC seems to be pulling effortlessly even more than what it used to! Haven't used city mode post this service yet. But I will not give a verdict issue is gone unless I drive for atleast couple tankfulls or 1000kms.
But currently the car is more eager than before silent and smooth.

2.Clock sync issue + playlist issue in Harman system -

Issue -
System Clock used to get slow by a couple of minutes everyday . Also when playing media through SD card if I was in 99th song of a 100 song play list and I recieve a call through bluetooth, the play list used to resets after ending the call and started from song 1 again.
Solution (Complained & serviced at 15800 km )-
Got the Harman system updated to 9.2 and both the issues were solved.

3.Left side wing mirror vibrations

Issue -
Left side wing mirror vibrated while going over uneven roads thereby producing a irritating noise from there.
Solution (Complained & serviced at 15800 km and 18600km) -
When this first appeared they adjusted and tightened the settings of the mirrors and it was gone but again after 2k km's it came back. When I went for the last service for the ECU update and fuel pump replacements they tightened it again. Will ask to replace
the part under warranty if this comes back again.

4. Dis-engaging clutch at it's biting point makes a weird kat kat noise

Issue (Complained & serviced at 15800 km) -
In b2b traffic sometimes (very intermittently) dis-engaging clutch at it's biting point made a weird kat kat noise which was not present previously.
could be heard only with windows fully closed and AC on. Seems like some thing is loose and is vibrating down in engine bay.
Solution - This still happens sometimes, But have found a way to prevent this - pressing the gas a little bit while releasing clutch doesn't let the sound appear. People who are more experienced- Was I driving wrong by not pressing gas while releasing clutch? Normally
Zilva starts to move forward just by releasing clutch and i used this extensively in b2b traffic scenarios

5. Left side back door lock lost the feel(that click sound when you open the door) of opening.

Issue - Since we car pool and there were a couple of people who used to repeatedly thumped the door while getting out from left side. This issue occured mainly due to that and since the audio feedback was not there people were having a tough time opening the left door
when sitting iside.
Solution (Complained & serviced at 15800 km ) -
The lock screws were adjusted and the issue have been resolved.

6. Vibration and sound from different parts of the car while going over uneven surfaces at speeds greated than 60 kmph

Issue - Suddenly felt car is not as silent as before and have lost it's smoothness. Complained to SA when went to get teh fuel pump replaced.
Solution (Complained & serviced at 18600 km ) - They sorted all kinds of noise and car is now super silent as before, only the bumps and the thuds when going over bad roads. He said all he had to do was some tightening of screws.

7. Vibration when car was in neutral

Issue - The car started to vibrate a lot when auto climate mode was on and it's in neutral. Normally happened in traffic.
Solution(Complained & serviced at 18600 km ) - SA said the ECU update and the fuel pump change have solved this. Now I can't make out if ignition is on without AC, but with AC there are a bit of vibrations yet. Have told them will gethis checked up when I go for service
the next time.

8. Kach Kach sound from driver side suspension

Issue -Very faint Kach Kach sound from driver side suspension when going over uneven roads slowly.
Solution (Complained & serviced at 18600 km ) - Have reported this and they said no sound can be found and they tightened the suspension bits, but in the bill I saw they have tightened passenger side front suspension - either I have miscommunicated or the SA didn't understand
will have to take this issue up in the next service. Or do i need to get this thing checked ASAP ?

9. Rusting in dicky lid

Issue - The place where dicky lid meets the beadings and where water gets trapped that contact point started rusting.
Solution (Complained & serviced at 18600 km ) - They removed the rust, treated the panel and made it new, pretty impressive I must say. SA said Rusting won't come back and this is a permanent solution.

10. Kach kach sound when slowly driver side door is opened

Issue - Kach kach sound when slowly driver side door is opened. Seems it's joint is being continuously rubbing with the rubber beadings.
Solution (Complained & serviced at 18600 km ) - All the doorlinks have been worked upon and the noise have been solved.

11. Tail fog light loose

Issue - Tail fog lamp was loose and was coming out of shell on vibration. Effect of a bike hitting by bumper.
Solution (Complained & serviced at 18600 km ) - They replaced the tail fog light shell. Currently as good as new

Out of these 11 issues 6 were solved at the service on 15800 km and rest of them came post this service and they were taken care of at 18600 km service. apart from issue no 7 and 8. These have been communicated and will be worked on the next time I take the car to service.

Over all service experience has been pretty good till date. They have been very responsive, have updated from time to time regarding the proceedings and have been fast. At the most I had to keep the car in service center for 3 days for a insurance claim which involved a body shop work when a uber
overtaking me from left in a turn without any signal brushed by left fender.

Product experience have been good too apart from the vibrations and sound from the left wing mirror vibration. Will observe if they come back after sorting out and if they does will insist for permanent solution.

Post this monsoon I will need to do a detail of the car as the lower parts have lost it's smoothness due to the road tar and some dirt/grime which doesn't go off after a normal shampoo wash.

Will keep the thread updated on the power loss issue and if this has been sorted after the fuel pump change and ECU update.
Prithwitheraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 15:20   #23
BHPian

Been following this thread regularly sir.
How is Zilva doing of late? Whats the ODO reading now? Looking forward to more updates on this thread

P.S: Your thread partly helped me in deciding purchase of my first car in Feb2016 - Zest XMS Revotron in Buzz Blue color. Thanks.
Old 17th April 2017, 19:54   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
How is Zilva doing of late? Whats the ODO reading now?
Sorry for not updating the thread, been busy a bit. Just a quick reply to your questions - Zilva has been doing great the ODO is at around 28000 kms. Haven't faced any power loss issues since my last update at around 18600 kms. There is a little squeaks from driver side B piller . I do plan to visit the service center for that but since it's very negligible have been avoiding service center visit. apart from that Zilva drives like new, even now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
P.S: Your thread partly helped me in deciding purchase of my first car in Feb2016 - Zest XMS Revotron in Buzz Blue color. Thanks.
Oh that's great. How's your zest doing?
Prithwitheraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 20:09   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithwitheraj View Post
Oh that's great. How's your zest doing?
My ODO stands at 10,500kms in about 14 months. Fuss-free ownership so far. The car has been a pleasure to own and drive so far. Touchwood.
Please do keep the thread alive.
Old 15th December 2017, 16:36   #26
BHPian

Currrent update -

ODO is nearing 40,000 kms Fuss free ownership till date. Have done a 2300 km's trip from Kolkata-Vizag-Araku-Kolkata in September with ease.

4th Free service scheduled 23d Dec 2017.

Issues - No issues till now Car is running Smooth. Plan to get a ceramic coating done this week, just to renew Zilva's appearance and keep him shining.

Tyre change due in next 2-3 k Km's will Do the same in March 2018.

This has been a quite reliable workhorse for us till date.

p.s - Will post the Vizag travelogue pretty soon
Old 21st November 2019, 08:50   #27
BHPian

Hi Prithwitheraj,
Its been nearly 2 years since your last update. Can you post latest updates about Zilva?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks