Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2018, 19:19   #316
BHPian

Re: Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi

Guys, needed one help. I've been getting frequent punctures on one of my rear tyres, and the set itself is reaching its end of life, so need to switch to new set of shoes.

Could you please suggest new tyres for the global fiesta. Some of the options from the threads here are:
1. Michelin Primacy 3 ST
Continental CMC MC 5

Can you think of any other good options? And though it's not very easy/simple to do, could you point out some pros/cons please.

[ I am currently not thinking of switching to R16 rims, mainly due to some budget constraints. But do you think switching to R16 size rims makes a big positive difference overall, without hampering comfort levels too much.]

Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd March 2018, 20:00   #317
Senior - BHPian

Yoko Earth 1
Pirelli Cinturato

The current tyre size is fine really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrish View Post
Some of the options from the threads here are:
1. Michelin Primacy 3 ST
[i]Continental CMC MC 5
Old 3rd March 2018, 21:37   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Yoko Earth 1
Pirelli Cinturato

The current tyre size is fine really.
Are there any major differences between these tyres?

Michelin Primacy 3 ST Continental CMC MC 5
Yoko Earth 1
Pirelli Cinturato (P7?)

I've seen some mentioning Michelin P3STs to be softer compound tyres (maybe CMC MC5 as well?), and thus have weaker sidewalls, comparatively? I don't care much about the tyre's road noise (there's always some light music) and not very concerned about comfort/plush feel either.

Would prefer very good dry/wet grip and ability to take some abuse road-quality wise. I won't mind if tyres wear out quickly, just want decent durability against deep, sudden potholes / bad patches, which sometimes are unavoidable at higher speeds.

Any advise/comments would be of great help. Thanks in advance.
Old 4th March 2018, 10:28   #319
Senior - BHPian

Get the Pirelli if you aren’t as concerned with comfort and road noise but want long tyre life and a stupendous grip.

Else yoko is a decent compromise.
Old 4th March 2018, 11:09   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Get the Pirelli if you aren’t as concerned with comfort and road noise but want long tyre life and a stupendous grip.

Else yoko is a decent compromise.
How can long tyre life and stupendous grip be in the same sentence ? I thought that stupendous grip means less tyre life.

I have Michelin Primacy 3ST on my Skoda Rapid. I think they are the best all-rounder tyres in that price bracket.

Yoko Earth1 is pocket friendly and is a good compromise.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th March 2018 at 13:48. Reason: typo corrected
F150 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 18:06   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Are there any major differences between these tyres?

Would prefer very good dry/wet grip and ability to take some abuse road-quality wise. I won't mind if tyres wear out quickly, just want decent durability against deep, sudden potholes / bad patches, which sometimes are unavoidable at higher speeds.

Any advise/comments would be of great help. Thanks in advance.
The Primacy 3STs seem to be good all-rounders. But, if you're a little short on budget, you can look at the Michelin XM2s. They are a bit cheaper than P3ST and are almost as good.
I have them on my old Fiesta, have done 12k kms on them until now and the grip offered is fantastic. They are pretty durable and have taken a lot of battering on bad/non-existent roads till now. Only one puncture, and that too was a slow leak, which I fixed after driving for a few thousand kms.
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 22:07   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Michelin Primacy 3 ST
2. Continental CMC MC 5
You will miss the MC5 when the roads are good, and you will miss the P3ST when the roads are bad.

Michelin is an all-rounder and MC5 is more performance oriented and will also give a better steering feel. Both tyres are robust enough and you don't have to worry about side walls. You cannot go wrong with either.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 22:35   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
You will miss the MC5 when the roads are good, and you will miss the P3ST when the roads are bad.
Well said . I am using Continental MC5 and fully agree with you.

I have also observed that Michelin P3ST has got better life than MC5.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 10:59   #324
BHPian

Quote:

Michelin is an all-rounder and MC5 is more performance oriented and will also give a better steering feel. Both tyres are robust enough and you don't have to worry about side walls. You cannot go wrong with either.
Well said, deetjohn.

I would slightly disagree with you on the 'robust' part of the MC5 though. I have them on the Fiesta and within the first 1000kms, the front left tyre had bust its side wall. Took it to Madhus (where I sourced the tyre from) and they promptly replaced it while bearing 50% of the cost. I chose the MC5 over the P3ST only because it was more performance oriented as you've mentioned and I have absolutely no issues with the grip levels. But every time I drive over a bad road, I have my heart in my mouth and I drop to crawling speeds. I did the same with my Ninja as well, chose the Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs over the Michelin offerings because it was softer compound. After riding/driving for reasonable distances on these tyres, I've realized that performance tyres for a country like India are a big no-no!

So, if I were to choose a tyre for the Fiesta now, it will be the P3STs for two reasons - based on your feedback and the fact that it 'felt' more robust to me than the MC5.

Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-img_6501.jpg

Last edited by Porschefire : 6th March 2018 at 11:03.
Porschefire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 11:58   #325
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the MC5 have more stiffer sidewalls than the Michelins. I am using the MC5 on a slightly thinner profile and it does *crash/thud* a lot on slightly deep potholes.

I tried the XM2+ when my Fiesta was running the 15" profile, most useless tires that I have ever got in my car, no grip and increased body roll. I have not experienced the P3ST, may be on my next trip to Kochi Mr.Deetjohn
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 21:44   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
How can long tyre life and stupendous grip be in the same sentence ? I thought that stupendous grip means less tyre life..
Pirelli somehow manages, don't ask me how. There's a friend who has them on his 2007 Laura, they've done 50k ++ and were still decently roadworthy till he finally changed them.

My fiesta is shod with Yoko Earth 1 that's barely 15k km old, but once that gives up the ghost I'll give Pirelli a try for sure.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 23:30   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I have Michelin Primacy 3ST on my Skoda Rapid. I think they are the best all-rounder tyres in that price bracket. Yoko Earth1 is pocket friendly and is a good compromise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
The Primacy 3STs seem to be good all-rounders. But, if you're a little short on budget, you can look at the Michelin XM2s. They are a bit cheaper than P3ST and are almost as good.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I have also observed that Michelin P3ST has got better life than MC5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
So, if I were to choose a tyre for the Fiesta now, it will be the P3STs for two reasons - based on your feedback and the fact that it 'felt' more robust to me than the MC5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I tried the XM2+ when my Fiesta was running the 15" profile, most useless tires that I have ever got in my car, no grip and increased body roll. I have not experienced the P3ST, may be on my next trip to Kochi Mr.Deetjohn
Quote:
My fiesta is shod with Yoko Earth 1 that's barely 15k km old, but once that gives up the ghost I'll give Pirelli a try for sure.
Thanks a lot for the helpful suggestions guys. I will be heading to Madhu's this weekend and will get a set of P3STs. The car is currently on a set of 205/65-R15 Bridgestone MY-01s now (from first owner, I didn't do it!). Will be interesting to see how different the car feels with new tires, hope steering doesn't become too light.
Old 10th May 2018, 04:26   #328
BHPian

Hello people.

I have a 2014 model all new ford fiesta facelift. It has done 33000 km. It has developed a strange issue in its a.c. When it is idle the a.c is super cool like a typical ford. Vent temperature gets as low as 4 degrees in manual mode. When outside temperature is 42 degrees. But when it starts moving on highway speeds say above 50 then vent temperature goes to 8 to 10 degrees. I can clearly feel that temperature of vent air is not cool like idling. I took car to harpreet ford moti nagar , delhi. They checked every thing. They have given a clean chit from their side. Everything functioned flawlessly according to them, refrigerant ok, no leaks, clutch engaging, high side low side pessure normal. Technician suspected radiator fan malfunction and changed that with new, cooling coil cleaned, condenser cleaned after removing bumper, a.c filter changed.
After this work vent temperature comes 2 degrees lower. Earlier it was 8 and 12. But now 4 and 10. This problem doesn't show when we raise rpm at idling, but comes into play when rpm increase while car is on move. During move or parked the vent temperature is never stable. It keeps on fluctuating up and down even at constant speed. I can say that when car moves its only half performing than a typical ford a.c. i got it checked at other local mechanics also but all become clueless on listening to the problem. . Kindly help me what could be the problem here.. i checked with 1 more fiesta facelift. Its temperature was also 12 on move and 10 when standing. What are views of other owners?

I suspect following things now.

1. Cabin temperature sensor is erratic.

2. A.c compressor relay malfunctioning.

3. Fan belt slipping marginally or loses tension while car is on move, though there is no slipping belt noise.

4. Worst case, compressor and condenser are gone.

Actually from 2014 to 2017 car was used very less. Only 10000 km. It used to remain parked for many days as my job profile was like that.

I need your expert opinion because many experienced mechanics have failed. I shall be very thankful to all of you.

Mod note: There are several errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.
Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th May 2018 at 20:12.
Old 10th May 2018, 08:07   #329
Senior - BHPian

Why don’t you have them connect their scanner to your car’s OBD and check for any errors thrown instead of this hit and trial method? If there is a loose fan belt or bad sensor that will catch it.
Old 10th May 2018, 09:43   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Why don’t you have them connect their scanner to your car’s OBD and check for any errors thrown instead of this hit and trial method? If there is a loose fan belt or bad sensor that will catch it.
Thanks for reply. Scanning already done three times. Refrigerant replaced after vacuum 2 times. I think its inherent character of this new facelift fiesta. I have checked with other car that also shown similar characteristic. I can conclude that this A.c is not as good as it was on fiesta classic and old figo.

Mod note: There are several errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.
Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th May 2018 at 20:15. Reason: Typo habe.
Dieseldrifter is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks