Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2015, 12:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi

Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-img20150211wa0040.jpg

The story - How we brought the Fiesta home!

Well! It was love at first sight! The sales fella at Kairali Ford (the dealer) at Edapally showroom was an old acquaintance and I got a longish TD when Ford debuted the facelift back in June of 2014. As as you all can make out from short review here, I was really smitten. I had two main challenges to overcome to bring the Ford home though. We were really happy with our Swift back home and it was in really good nick. And the supply for Fiesta was very limited. The dealer categorically told me they will not be able to get me a Titanium in 2014. So, I curbed my urge and denied the existing of the Fiesta for almost 3 months.

Ford wasn't doing any marketing for the Fiesta but they did do something very well. In Kochi at least, both dealers were given a dedicated demo car each. And both of them brought the cars to office for day long TDs. I don't think any prospective customer has driven both these cars as much as I have in 2014. And every time I drove the Fiesta, I was becoming more and more miserable. It got to a point where I had to completely discount my rational thoughts and just to get the Ford home. But I tried hard to contain it. I started to burden my dear wife, my close friends and significant others with my thoughts seeking inputs on why we shouldn't get the Ford. But every time the Ford was simply winning.

Then, a dear buddy visited us for their holiday in their 2 months old 2014 Fiesta and he let me live with his car for more than 24 hours. I wanted to see how the Fiesta will fare on my daily chores. Was it just an infatuation over short drives or will it really work for us? I took the car to the city, the highway, in-laws' home, wife' office, the malls, on an airport run and just about everywhere I could. I went to find answers and the Ford came shining through.

I put the Swift on the block and contrary to my belief, it was not easy to find a home. With the facelift of Swift and stellar success of the new i20, came ridiculous offers from Maruti dealers on the buying a Swift. The biggest I saw was a 90k benefit and I had a hard time 'selling' an used ZDi vis-à-vis a older VDi from the yard. I also learned the importance of a Swift being white in Kerala. The question was not even what color is the car, it was "is your Swift white in colour?". And other facts of life like the complete disregard for safety kits and fascination for material accessories like alloys or music system. I have always wondered why everyone is buying Swift in white and pick VDi over ZDi even when they have the money and now I know clearly. LOL!

Also, I started looking at other cars across segments which made sense on paper. I was just fishing for reasons to say no to Ford or either delay the purchase by getting confused with other options. I tried the Polo GTs, Vento DSG, the Duster etc. but none of them could connect to me like how the Ford did. The VWs didn't have that feel with their steering or the seating position and with the Duster, I reaffirmed my love for cars compared to UVs. I even thought very hard about the soon to be launched S-cross, but honestly none of it really helped.

2015 came and everything picked up pace. I decided to put an end to my misery and booked the Fiesta. And once that happened, I was able to find a private buyer for the Swift. And then the new Govt. didn't extend the waiver on excise and Ford too felt it was about time to increase the price. The price hike which was substantial did question my resolve for Fiesta but Kairali Ford was very transparent throughout and we decided to go ahead with the decision. Then, there was the wait for the car to arrive from the factory. Knowing what happened to EcoSport Titanium variant in the initial days, I hoped Ford didn't change anything on the car and was glad to see the Fiesta in the yard looking just like how it did when I saw the new model for the first time in 2014.

Some pics from the yard!

The Ford looks fresh from the factory and it was. The make is Jan 2015 and was unloaded that day.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-wp_20150203_003.jpg

That happy moment. Yes, you do get 2 high quality keys.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-wp_20150203_007.jpg

Made in Germany tyres. I was so happy and used to flaunt them to everyone and it has managed to shock each and everyone. But after putting some miles on them, I keep quiet nowadays. These are not that great. LOL!
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-wp_20150203_017.jpg

Yay! Ford hasn't removed it and its still there. The humble thingy which can leave many other cars from the segment to shame.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-wp_20150203_016.jpg

"Are you going to keep staring at me or going to take me home soon?" I think I spent close to 2 hours in the yard that day under the very hot sun checking each and everything. I came home and then realized I didn't try the steering. Has Ford made it lighter for the mass market? Those were the type of questions lingering on my mind. Yes, I was a bit paranoid till we got the car home.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-wp_20150203_024.jpg

Delivery day! That's the SA Rakesh of Kairali along with Sales Manager Shibin. Very friendly and knowledgeable chaps. BHPians vaisakhr and Speed.Demon came to welcome the Ford to our brotherhood of Kochi.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-img20150205wa0010.jpg

And we got blessed on a foggy morning later that week.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-wp_20150211_005.jpg

Last edited by deetjohn : 30th May 2015 at 14:18. Reason: Edits
deetjohn is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 12:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi

After living with the Ford for a little over 3 months and over 6000 KM, this is what I feel!

What I adore!

Seating position
The best thing about the Fiesta is the seating position for the driver. Even though I am very short, I love to sit low in any car. This is what I have been thoroughly missing in most our cars till now. I adore the seating position of the Germans. The driver should always be ‘in’ the car and not ‘on’ it. One another car where I instantly connected with the seating position like in the Fiesta is the good old Lancer. It gives amazing confidence when you throw the car around corners. And I don’t agree to the argument that you can't see the road when you sit low. Maintain a fair distance to the car in front and you can easily keep track of where you are going or for spotting a stone on the road or a pothole ahead. You only need to sit high when you are off-roading, for everything else it’s simply better when you sit ‘in’ the car!

Coming back to the Fiesta, your bottom is resting lower than your thighs when the seat is set at the lowest position. In the Swift, your bottom and thighs are at the same level. Together with the well designed head rest, it really feels like sitting in a tub. If you are to drive the Swift and Fiesta back to back, you will feel that you are sitting atop a highchair and driving with steering so high and a gear level set so low on the Swift. The Ford' steering wheel is almost parallel to your chest with the gear lever set high so that it falls to your hand and you don't have to reach out at all. The gear lever placement is like the sequential shifter of WRC cars and it feels great.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-front-seats1.jpg

The reference pic below shows the relative position of the seat, the wheel and the pedals since words have failed me here. Okay, that's some heavy exaggeration happening on the pedal position, but you guys get the picture right?
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-webber1_b.jpg

And when you sit low, both ORVMs are set almost at the same level as your face and you don’t have to look down to see what’s happening around and behind you. And the Fiesta becomes very easy to pilot on tight roads. I really think if ORVMs are set up high in all cars like in a bus or a F1 machine, it will be much more useful.

The view that matters.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_5454.jpg

The placement of the ORVM is perfect. But be careful about the blind spots around the thick A pillar.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_5453.jpg

Those gorgeous front seats
Like Chris Harris say, it’s just Mega! I have a very modest frame and the bolstering on the sides are amazing when you’re sitting idle at a traffic light or throwing the car around corners. The Titanium version got extra thigh support as well and together they make it one of finest OEM seats.

The head rest is also designed really well and supports your head in your natural position.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-front-seats2.jpg

Ride and Ground Clearance
The Ground Clearance of the Fiesta is 156mm. And don’t let that fool you for a moment. The Ford wouldn’t touch anywhere even with full load. Even those speed breakers which will scrape the underbody of a Figo will not bother the Fiesta. I have climbed even some slabs with full load and the Ford will not touch ground. And there is a reason for that. The suspension is on the firm side. No, that doesn’t mean the ride is hard. The ride is stiff and you will feel a bit of the road, but it doesn’t transfer shocks into the cabin and becomes great as you increase speed. The suspension is not silent and you can hear thuds every time the wheels load/ unload if you’re crossing any bump on road a little too fast. But nothing will faze the Fiesta and Ford has got the setup spot on.

Handling
Fiesta’ suspension got very less travel. And the car sits pretty low. It is one of the few cars in our market which comes lowered from the factory. That means, the car doesn’t roll much even with swift direction changes. And this Ford will make you even more aggressive around corners. You will carry a lot more speed through your usual corners than you have ever had as the Fiesta gives you immense confidence to throw the car. And the best bit is that your passengers wouldn't know much. LOL!

Steering
Yes, it’s an electronic unit. And I am glad to report that it is one of the best in business. It is very fast, very direct and makes the Fiesta shrink around you. At parking speeds, its light and gains weight in the most perfect way. Ford has got the calibration of this unit absolutely spot-on and I wouldn’t be surprised if someone felt that it’s a hydraulic unit. It’s got the nimbleness of the EPS with the feel of a hydraulic unit. By far, one of the best steering that I have come across. Also, the wheel itself is the perfect size with bolstering around the natural grip points.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-steering.jpg

Build
The doors are quite heavy compared to many other cars in the market. After the Swift, my family has a bit of trouble to open the doors of the Fiesta. Those of you who own an EcoSport will know what I am talking about. But the odd thing is that, the Fiesta is not that heavy at all compared to the other cars in the segment. It is right in the middle between the Ciaz and the Germans. Yet, all doors shut with a very reassuring feel and the entire car feels like it’s built from a single piece of rock. The body feels solid and rigid on the road and its feels amazing to be cocooned inside. Guess it’s the shape of the design with many solid creases and curves adding strength together with the use of advanced metallurgy. Also, the paint quality is top notch. One big plus of picking a current model exported in numbers from our country.

NVH
There are no two way about it. The Fiesta is spooky silent on the inside. All the elements stay outside once the doors are closed, windows up and the AC is on. Also, no one will find out it’s a diesel under the hood unless you’re in upper rev bands. The engine feels as it’s submerged under a bath of oil. The 1.5 TDCi makes do with a timing belt instead of a chain and that helps a lot to reduce the clatter. There are no vibrations or unwanted noises in the cabin. The engine sounds sweet at idle and light revs. It feels like a very upmarket diesel engine. but it is not as sporty as the MJD in the mid and higher revs and I miss the very endearing turbo whistle on the Swift. The turbo is not at all audible in the Fiesta.

The way 2014 Fiesta looks
That grille inspired by Aston, the power bulge on the bonnet and the low ride height gives the Ford quite an impressive and aggressive stance. Switch on the fog lights; hit the road and the Fiesta looks very imposing. I love the way it looks from the front. Sometimes, you can see people looking at the car in total bewilderment. And the revised rear is also quite smart with a subtle boot lip spoiler, the nifty taillights and faux diffuser unit masking the bulk of that big bumper. I personally think the rear is where Ford truly worked the design magic during 2014 facelift. I also love that bold line which runs from the front wheel to the taillight through the door handles. It looks amazing in lighter shades under the sun. But the same cannot be said about the overall side profile. More on that in the section below.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-front1.jpg

The stance is amazing even with stock alloys.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-front2.jpg

The 2014 rear looks quite smart. The faux diffuser masks the bulk of that big bumper to a great extent.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_5415.jpg

The Fiesta is wide but you wouldn't guess that from this pic. The debadging bug kicked in and I removed the TDCi badge.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_5419.jpg

The subtle lip spoiler, can also spot the very unique rear map flap. Won't look out of place in a Lambo, but don't ask me about its effectiveness. LOL
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_5426.jpg
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-rear-mudflap.jpg

Its one great nose! Also can see the big air deflector which runs the entire width of the car.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_5517.jpg

The power bulge which looks great on lighter shades. Also can spot the pattern on the grille. Lot of fans for it, I prefer the black mesh from the ST though.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_5506.jpg

The Toys - The ones that I cherish the most.
  • Cruise control
    This is a feature of much convenience as our roads get wider and faster. And Kerala is not yet there, but I still like it lots as its fun with a capital F on the Fiesta. Set a speed on the cruise control and a slight tap of either the brake or clutch will disengage it. And the way the car picks speed when you hit the resume button is absolutely wicked. Its feels as if the engine is on a completely different map altogether and you just cannot match that acceleration if you are using the A pedal. It’s one amazing toy.
  • Rain sensing wipers
    Another one from the brochure that I didn’t think highly off, but it works very well. I engaged it some two months back during a rainy day and had completely forgotten about it. And it rained a few weeks back when the car was out on the road and the wiper came on its own. It was nice. And the best thing is that you can control the sensitivity of the wipes using the rotary switch used for setting the frequency for the intermittent wipers and it works like a charm. I leave them on all the time nowadays and love it when the heavens open. And the wipers can pick up crazy speed when in auto mode if the rain is heavy. The Fiesta also got OEM frameless wipers and they look and work very well indeed. I absolutely cherish driving in the rain and can’t wait for monsoons! Do note to keep the blades and windshield free of too much dust or muck when the auto wipers are on to protect the blades and windshield.
  • Music system
    The ICE is very cool! The bass is tight, the treble is perfect, the stereo effect is amazing and the sound quality is quite good. Our Swift ZDi too had a very nice OEM system and I kept it bone stock and didn’t feel the need to upgrade at all. If the Swift is 7/10, the one in the Fiesta is 8.5/10 as far as OEM systems go. Also, Kate on the voice command works well to play an artist or a song. And you’ll need Kate to play a song as the head unit cannot recognize folders when playing from a USB. It’s a glaring miss. There is no mute button on the steering wheel and shuffle is organized and the selection is not really random which is quite stupid.

The Nokia inspired fascia looks great in the piano black surround. Can also see the ACC module which works very well with that powerful compressor working behind.
    Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_4865.jpg
  • Key less entry and push button start
    I was skeptical about this and was not really sure whether I wanted this feature or not. But glad to report that Ford has thought through it very well and it all works like a charm. If the key is not within 1 meter of the front door, the request sensors don’t work. And there are sensors on both doors, so unlocking doors from either side is possible. And the key needs to be inside the car for the engine to start. So, someone just can’t drive the car off even if the doors are unlocked and the key is nearby. Wish the push button start was in the traditional slot for keyhole, would have been so cool. If the car is rolling say on a slope, the push button start won't take the command.

The best bit is the lock/ unlock for the boot. All you need is the key in your pocket and you can open the boot from the outside using the external boot release while all the other doors remain locked. Also, unlocking the doors and popping the boot lid can be remotely done as well. Cool fact: I recall an incident with a fellow BHPian who put his trousers along with the Fiesta’ key in a washing machine and the key came out very clean and fully functional after a good wash. Apparently, it’s water proof.
  • Voice control
    The party trick of the Fiesta! And Kate works very well and almost real time. Easily picks up our accent and names with a wide variety of commands to select a song that you need or to utilize the Bluetooth telephony without taking the hands off your wheel.
  • Warning chimes
    There are lot of warning chimes on the Ford and it’s not at all intrusive. All very subtle and well thought out. It feels so much upmarket and I appreciate that very much!
  • The lights
    Don’t think there are other cars in the segment with so many lights. There is a LED puddle light under the ORVMs which lights up the ground well and is very useful once the car is unlocked. Foot well lights under the dash for both front seats, cabin lights at the front and rear with dedicated spot lights for the front seats, and ambient lighting with a warm orange glow to illuminate the central console! It’s all there and they are all stock. Also, there are two reverse lights and fog lights for the rear. And the impressive double barrel headlights and powerful fogs at the front. When the high beam is on, the low beam too stay on and even with the stock bulbs; it’s more than enough to make others dip. And even bus drivers acknowledge this fact. LOL!

The double barrel! The lower variants have them smoked and looks stunning.
    Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_4798-1024x587.jpg

Puddle lights under both ORVMs.
    Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-puddlelamp.jpg

Footwell lights for both driver and passenger.
    Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-interior.jpg
  • Rear parking sensors
    The parking sensors work well with the MID showing the proximity of the 4 sensors separately. The 2 sensors on the edge of the bumper picks up the side of the car too. And the audible beeps come on only when the car is near to an obstacle and it lowers the volume for the radio for the driver to pick up the warning. Wish the sensitivity was a bit low though, makes parking too close to a wall very difficult.

The instrument panel is very smart and the stalks exude quality. I love the tactile feel of the high beam.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_5465.jpg

The Fiesta shows instantaneous FE even when the car is idle. The unit becomes L/H. Very neat.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_5477.jpg

Last edited by deetjohn : 30th May 2015 at 14:28. Reason: edits.
deetjohn is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 12:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

What are acceptable!

Engine
Everyone here knows that the 1.5 TDCi is not an engine which comes to your mind when we say things like power or state of the art. But what many here don’t know is how different it feels in the Fiesta compared to the EcoSport. The engine feels very eager to rev at most rpms in any gear and the car picks up speed quite well. And together with the brilliant NVH, it comes across as quite capable. I don’t know if it’s due to Ford using a different map or due to the lesser weight the engine needs to pull, but the TDCi doesn’t feel laborious in the Fiesta.

And it’s very efficient as well. The tall gears, the very low drag due to the low ride height and the efficient aerodynamics of a sedan will easily get you 20+ on the highway if you drive like a monk. But mind you, it’s very difficult on the Fiesta and you will want to push that brilliant chassis all the way. Keep the momentum, use the gears well and the TDCi will get you from point A to point B much faster than what that spec sheet tells you. But the 8 valve SOHC architecture is obvious when you are looking for sheer acceleration. Building up speed from stand still takes time as the high end is really poor. The engine doesn't like that territory, but once you have momentum, maintaining good speeds is easy on the Fiesta. The tall gears work very well to bring the best out of the engine.

The clutch is a bit heavy though. It’s heavier than the Swift and or even the Duster AWD. But now after living in the car for 3 months, I have become more or less used to it. Also, there is are no vibrations on the clutch or the gear level at start up or even while accelerating. But the engine doesn't sound as nice as the 1.6 of VW at higher revvs though.

The low end is also not as strong as the K9K unit, and together with that tall second gear, moving in B2B traffic is not that effortless. But if you are used to driving a MJD, you can easily live without shifting to first each time in traffic. Feed in the power gently and you can make the TDCi pick up speed in second or third after slowing down without stutter or lugging or slipping the clutch.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-engine-room.jpg

Efficient, but its hard to keep a gentle foot.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_5475.jpg

Brakes
The brakes got good feel and I am cherishing the soft feel of brake pads coming from the Swift. We had the Swift for 52000 KM and didn't change the stock brake pads even once, that’s how hard it was and there was no spec of brake dust on the Swift even once. On the other hand, the ones in the Fiesta do create a lot of dust and it’s very visible on the alloys and the white body. But that’s a small price to pay for having a good feel from brakes.

But, it can do with a bit more bite. I like that overservoed feel from brakes like in the Linea. Also, the ABS is a lot more sensitive on the Fiesta compared to the Swift. It was very difficult to make out the presence of ABS in the Swift.

Interior trim
Two tone charcoal black and light earth grey interior with piano black inserts look very smart indeed. But I would have preferred an all-black setup like in the Swift and I miss it terribly. The light earth grey looks pleasant and is not as garish as the regular beige. But it makes for a total lack of privacy inside the car as there is just too much light inside. Black seats would have made the interiors a bit less conspicuous. And with my little daughter, a lot less painful to maintain.

The piano black grab handle looks great and the fabric insert feels good for resting one' arm
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_5445.jpg

No door pockets and the door doesn't open that wide either. The aluminium door handle feels good.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_5429.jpg

The rear windshield is tall and lets in a lot of sun, a blind is missing badly.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_5534.jpg

Lot of cubby holes. Missed them in our Swift.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_5483.jpg

Space
The well-endowed seats combined with the shortest length and wheelbase from the segment makes the Fiesta a little cramped on the inside, especially the rear. It is the apparently the biggest drawback of the car. But, it is not as bad as it’s made out to be though. People look at the stretched limos that we have in the name of sedans nowadays and expect all cars to have that kind of space at the back. Its a snug fit when the car is loaded, but we don't have any problems with that. The Fiesta brings in a lot of other positives which far outweighs the little loss of space at the rear.

And the front passenger seat is one of the best in business for travel. Everyone who has been in the car has loved the way it feels to be seated come good roads or bad roads. The boot is again is the smallest from the segment at 430L, but is more than enough to swallow all that you are going to throw at it. Coming from the Swift, it feels like a lot of room for us. Cool fact: You can pop the boot open using the remote key from a distance while other doors stay locked, very useful for those supermarket runs.

Also, the 2014 car have revised rear head rests. Doesn't jut out like in the older version and very usable.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_5450.jpg

More than double the boot space compared to the Swift, so no complaints. Easily swallows my daughter' potty, bather etc.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_5431.jpg

What could be better?

Gear shift
The gear shift is a bit notchy, especially the first and the reverse and the clutch is on the heavier side. You’ll get used to both given time but coming from a Swift where the gear shifts resembled a well-oiled rifle; I strongly feel Ford should have made the shifts feel a bit better. The ratios are very long and are perfectly mated to the characteristics of the engine. The first is really short which I can understand considering how some diesel engines don’t like steep inclines.

Panel gaps
Panel gaps and fitting of the interior trim leaves a lot to desire. The material quality is good and the build quality is great, but the fitting leaves a lot of gaps between trims/ parts on the inside and out. The Swift in comparison had much better tolerance on the fitting of interior trim. The doors used to jut out a bit and it looked so bad when we got the Fiesta. I got it corrected during first service but there is still something more to be done. I adore the panel gaps on the new i20 and there is no excuse for Ford.

Side profile
It’s very difficult for sedans based on bold hatchbacks to look good. And the Fiesta sedan is no exception. The hatch looks so stunning, especially in that gorgeous ST version. But the sedan is a bit weird, especially the side profile. The rising window lines, the low and short bonnet, the high boot, smaller 15” wheels all make the Fiesta very unorthodox from the side. The sheer bulk of metal on top of the rear wheel is hard to miss. The best way to beat that is to get the car in that striking panther black shade and to slap on 16” wheels.

I also hate the chrome window line on the Titanium. The all black ones in the lower variants look much smarter. Also, it’s way too fat and is not that snug fitting.

The silhouette resembles a mid engined sports car more than a sedan. No two ways about it, the rear is very bulky.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_5489.jpg

The alloys in isolation looks very good, but doesn't really suit the car. 16" Momo Revenge in Matt Anthracite looks stunning on the Fiesta.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-img20150211wa0042.jpg

Central locking
The central locking is really bizarre. My biggest problem is that the car doesn’t auto lock once you start moving, the Swift had it and I miss it badly. And I still don’t know how it works. If you lock all doors from the inside using the central lock button, each door can be opened from the inside, but once it closed, the rear doors cannot be opened from the outside, but the front ones can be. I still haven’t figured out how it all works or planned to work. Cool fact: Once the windows are locked from driving seat, the power window switch on each door is not illuminated.

Extended Warranty
Ford had only 3 year warranty on the offer which we promptly took when we bought the car. A few weeks back, Ford rolled out a 4 year warranty for Fiesta and its becoming an almighty tussle to get that for our car. When I talked to Ford, they pointed to the dealer and the dealer is clueless and have asked me to contact Ford. Looks like its going to be hard for customers to get extension if they are already on the 3 year plan. Also, I don't know why Fiesta has only the 4 years warranty when EcoSport has a 5 year package. Its ridiculous and I need to write to Ford customer care soon.

Marketing and sales strategy
The epic failure on Ford' part to effectively market or sell the Fiesta in our market means the resale will be hard and poor. So, be ready to keep the car for long. And also find and align some knowledgeable BHPians who will gladly bring home a pre-worshipped driving machine.

Last edited by deetjohn : 30th May 2015 at 13:39. Reason: Edits
deetjohn is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 07:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

The oddities!
  • There is a hidden tray underneath the passenger seat which is very useful. But this makes the front passenger sit higher than the driver when the driver' seat is set to the lowest position. Take a look at the pic below, it feels very strange when you are driving.
    Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_5440.jpg
  • Ford’ white is not very whitish and can get dull pretty easy. It’s more yellowish than bluish. I think Hyundai and Audi has the whitest whites in town.
  • In keeping with the recent tread, Fiesta has one of the longest headlights in our market. And I am glad that its smartly masked by the very bold grille, the mirage of lines on the front bumper, and the clam-shell bonnet.
  • The front fog lights have a piano black enclosure. It looks stunning, but I really cannot figure out what Ford was thinking while selecting that material for an area which collects muck like anything. Hope I can keep it swirl free.
  • Those German tyres are good for boasting but not that great for ride comfort or grip. They are noisy and the tread or the side profile doesn't look that great as well. Will most likely get 15" Michelin P3ST if the 16” Momo bug doesn't get me.
  • The low ride height means, the front wheels splatters everything on road to the fender and the ORVM during turns. God save them who go for aftermarket wheels with heavy offset.
  • Unlocking the car at night is very dramatic as the ORVMs fold out automatically (can be disabled) and all the lights come on, including the puddle lights under ORVMs and the ones in the front foot well. The puddle lights look even more pronounced on a white car and people do stare!
  • And the ORVMs folding in or out sounds like a giant robot waking up. The ones on the Hyundai move so smooth and doesn't make any noise at all.
  • Ford recommends a whopping 42 PSI for the rear tyres under full load. Don’t think I am going to fill that much in it ever. The spare is a space saver (175/R14).
    The stock tyres are 195/60 R15 and it looks much fatter on the Fiesta. Don’t know if it’s because the car sits so low.
  • The fuel tank lid is connected to central locking. Meaning anyone can open the lid from outside when the car is unlocked. But it cannot be closed once the car is locked with the fuel lid open. So, be careful when you step out and lock the car while filling fuel. Most attendants will try to force the lid back and could damage the lock. Guess it’s in our nature to follow Jeremy! More power or force doesn’t always fix something!
  • There are no bottle holders on the rear door and I miss them. And the ones at the front are shaped very smartly to take even a 1.5L bottle. But the issue is that none of the smaller bottles will sit tight and will make noise when the roads are bad.
  • I miss the rear wiper during rains coming from the Swift. The old Octavia had it and is so useful in a place like Kerala blessed with so much rain.

First Service
I changed the oil and filter during the first service even though it is not mandated. Ford uses semi synthetic and it cost me 1700 for the change. What's puzzling though is that there is a sticker on the engine cover which says 'Synthetic Oil Only'. I checked and the dealer didn't have any synthetic oil at all. And since mineral or semi synthetic is better for initial kilometers, I have decided to let it pass for the time being.

I also aligned all doors during the first service and it looks much better than the way it came from the factory. There is mild squeak which comes from the near the dash while going through bad roads and I still haven’t been able to figure that out. Don’t have the heart to give the car to Ford for experimentation as the squeak can easily be drowned out by the music system. This squeak was there from the very first day and I am grateful that there are no other rattles or clatter from anywhere else. Because the ride is so splendid over broken surfaces, you don’t feel the need to baby the car and that can make things rattle and squeak in the long run. Let’s see how it holds up.

And now for some pictures from the first service.

That's the maximum travel of the suspension. And that's all you need for a sedan. Also shows how small the rear wheels are compared to all that steel at the back.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-wp_20150317_016.jpg

Can see the underguard made of reasonably tough plastic for the front along with our friendly SA Rakesh. Rakesh is one big petrolhead and drives around in a remapped Fiesta. You can spot his car in the pic above. The first question he asked me when we took delivery was when are we planning the remap. LOL!
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-wp_20150317_001.jpg

That drive-shaft is made in Poland and costs a bomb I am told. Lot of imported bits on the Fiesta.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-wp_20150317_004.jpg

The underguard needs to be removed to access the oil drain plug.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-wp_20150317_007.jpg

The spare wheel well and the neatly tucked exhaust.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-wp_20150317_009.jpg

Semi-independent twist beam rear suspension.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-wp_20150317_013.jpg

Our first oil change.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-wp_20150317_018.jpg

So, how is it going?

In one sentence, a thoroughly underrated boy's toy which doubles up as a very practical family sedan. The Fiesta will keep your dear ones comfortable and safe while you are grinning ear to ear behind the wheel.

One piece of advice, if you are keen on the Fiesta, do take longish test drives. The more you spend time with the car, the more you will appreciate the effort gone into it. And if you aren't interested to bring a Fiesta home, don't ever drive it. Because once you do, its very hard to get this Ford out of your thoughts. Cheers!
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_5500.jpg

I honestly never thought I would buy a car with so much chrome. Top tip: At some angles, one can make the front grille look all black as the lines are all horizontal and slim.

"Am I an Aston as they say or a Tarpon?" We don't think he is a fish and call him Marty Boy!
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_5507.jpg

*All the good photos here except for a few from my phone were taken by my good old buddies and BHPians naveen.raju and vaisakhr. Thanks a ton brothers, I owe you one. I am not that good with a cam, so if you ever need someone to drive your cars, feel free to buzz.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 30th May 2015 at 17:18. Reason: Edits
deetjohn is offline   (77) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 15:41   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line section. Thanks for sharing!
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 16:07   #6
Team-BHP Support

Good honest review and the pictures are fantastic. I love the way this fiesta looks. It is a rare car on the road and has a premium feel. Agree with you that the alloys look good in isolation but don't suit the car. Will wait for the pictures of those Momos
Wish you many miles of happiness.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 16:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

So the ownership review is out, rating a well deserved 5 stars as you have covered every thing in detail with top notch images and i could see emotions coming out in some parts of your review.

The drive quality of this car is so amazing that it has to be experienced and words would never do justice to how this thing drives. The handling is sublime and the ride quality is still very good with the handling on offer. Mine has clocked 11,000 kms and it is a joy to drive whenever am at the steering wheel. Just wish the engine had more pep on offer, this is even more noticeable after driving Vento for a few days. Still, the 150 kgs difference between Ecosport and Fiesta is significant and it shows on how slow and heavy Ecosport feels. The doors, bonnet etc feel super heavy on Ecosport compared to Fiesta

One piece of advice - the 3ST is a good all rounder but the grip levels are not too great, it is more of a comfort tyre and does not like quick directional changes or very enthusiastic drives/cornering. Keep that in mind before going for them, if you do not drive too hard, then it is a good option but for a car like Fiesta, it definitely needs a grippier set of tyres than some thing tuned towards comfort. Anachronix was mighty disappointed with XM2's in his Fiesta.

Have recently got 205 S drives for my Vento and they stick like a leech at all times, yes they are noisy and ride is not great to talk about but they have totally transformed the car, it corners like on rails. Am getting these for my Fiesta as well after doing 20-22k on these stock Goodyears.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 30th May 2015 at 16:35.
coolboy007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 19:39   #8
BHPian

Lovely review, thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Me owning Ecosport, which is based on Fiesta, can connect with you on many things mentioned here. I saw this car while taking delivery of my Ecosport and the SA slyly hinted Sir do you want this car instead ? Need to wait for few more months I checked out interiors but didn't take TD. Things i liked about the car is that none of the cost cutting done on ES over international variants like absence of folding ORVM, Cruise Control, Auto wiping sensors, Engine cover etc are removed from this car. However it would have been good if they also sold the option variant with 6 airbags & leather seats. I understand your pain on selling the ZDI. In india safety is an accessory, and people will rather spend money on bigger cars & fancy accessories rather on their own good. Unless government makes them mandatory, things will remain like this. I never knew that Fiesta has such a low GC, glad you never faced any issues. I wish Ecosport also came with a fully functional spare key. In engine the sticker recommends use of synthetic oil, but i guess they use semi-synthetic to keep costs down, very important for people in india. Wishing you thousands of happy miles with her, do roll in updates of all the mods/accessories which may be done in future.

Last edited by Samfromindia : 30th May 2015 at 19:54.
Samfromindia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 20:07   #9
BHPian

Great Review! I use the old fiesta quite often and its a very very good car that has aged beautifully. Congrats. It is actually the most sensible car but the market doesn't seem to agree.

Anyway, Do the foot well lights stay on when you are driving at night?
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 20:37   #10
BHPian

Great review and amazing pictures as well. I always thought the Fiesta was a brilliant package and your review just confirms this for me. I think it's biggest drawback has been made out to be the lack of legroom at the rear. But then you do seem to suggest it is not as cramped as it is made out to be!
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 22:56   #11
BHPian

Brilliant write up and congrats again. Its like condensed milk, just enough to make you feel what it really is .

The car then, I was never a fan of the new fiesta. It felt really understated for a +10L car.

But, I was very very wrong. In our last family drive I got a chance to drive the car for around 50km. Boy oh boy I was in for the shock of my life! The Fiesta was fantastic to drive. The suspension, the handling, the seating position and the WRC sequential shift's like gear lever and the lovely lovely steering!

The car was well balanced through out the journey. We even did some spirited drive in the curvy bits, the handling was superb. I never expected it behave like that. The boot bulk felt non existent and the body roll was well controlled.

deetjohn mentioned about one who asked whether the steering was EPS and the one who drove the swift back to back, that guy is me . I was pleased as well as felt very miserable after driving the fiesta. It was very weird to drive the swift afterwards. The seats felt like a bench and I had to reach down the gear lever for the shift.

I absolutely adore the Fiesta, and thanks a ton to deetjohn for letting me drive the Marty boy.

Wish you many happy miles ahead. Keep us updated

Note: Hope the photos did justice, the photo session were carried out in the middle of the day or in the after noon and it is very difficult to shoot a white car under hot sun.
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-dsc_4831.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 31st May 2015 at 12:27. Reason: Removed a smilie to keep it to 2 per post.
vaisakhr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 23:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant review dude and those pictures are amazing!

I am hoping reviews like these will motivate or inspire Ford to look at this product more seriously and put in more effort to try and sell it!

Did you mention, Momo, Revenge, Matt Anthracite, 16" wheels!?

Something like this?

Our 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi-mnr_fmly-308_fotor_1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The alloys in isolation looks very good, but doesn't really suit the car. 16" Momo Revenge in Matt Anthracite looks stunning on the Fiesta.
anachronix is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 09:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Will wait for the pictures of those Momos
Doesn't look like you'd have to wait for long. Please check anachronix' car in the post above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
...Just wish the engine had more pep on offer, this is even more noticeable after driving Vento for a few days.

....Have recently got 205 S drives for my Vento and they stick like a leech at all times, yes they are noisy and ride is not great to talk about but they have totally transformed the car, it corners like on rails. Am getting these for my Fiesta as well after doing 20-22k on these stock Goodyears.
Thank You for the rating. Glad you liked the thread.

Code 6 has a good remap for the 1.5 TDCi. That's the easiest of fixes if you feel shortage of power. And since you drive the Vento and Fiesta back to back, it will be very evident. I have become more or less used to playing by the characteristics of the engine now. Helps when Fiesta is the only car I drive most often.

I like S drives, they look great and the grip is good. But they become hard and noisy very soon and the ride comfort also goes for a toss. Can 195/55 R16 Michelin work? There will be a lot less flex as the wall height is a bit reduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Lovely review, thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Me owning Ecosport, which is based on Fiesta, can connect with you on many things mentioned here. ...Wishing you thousands of happy miles with her, do roll in updates of all the mods/accessories which may be done in future.
Thank You for the wishes. Yeah, Ford' supply chain for Fiesta is really random. Sometimes, one would need to wait for months to get the variant and the colour. And at times, it might be simply available off the shelf.

I so want to powder coat the OEM alloys. I was told Nippon Toyota does it well by the SA. So, maybe that's next up. Also, getting the horns replaced. Getting the Hella Twin Trumpets too. Had them in our Swift and love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Great Review! I use the old fiesta quite often and its a very very good car that has aged beautifully. Congrats. It is actually the most sensible car but the market doesn't seem to agree.

Anyway, Do the foot well lights stay on when you are driving at night?
No Crazy_Bean, the foot well lights work the same way as the cabin lights. It comes on only if a door is opened or when the car is switched off. It goes off after a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhii176 View Post
I think it's biggest drawback has been made out to be the lack of legroom at the rear. But then you do seem to suggest it is not as cramped as it is made out to be!
As mentioned, it is a bit cramped when you compare across segment. It works for us and I have a feeling it will work for most others as well. Don't discount the car just because of that.

Funny thing, a colleague of mine is looking to upgrade from his Polo and he checked out our Fiesta on Friday and told me the leg room is not bad at all. He had never been inside a Fiesta before and most reviews had painted that picture for him. So check it out and see whether it works for you or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Brilliant write up and congrats again. Its like condensed milk, just enough to make you feel what it really is .

The car then, I was never a fan of the new fiesta. It felt really understated for a +10L car.... Wish you many happy miles ahead. Keep us updated ;
Thanks again for the photos, the review wont be half as good without them. I know it was hard work as the summer sun was not doing us any favors. Let's wait for monsoon for some more pics. LOL! Don't worry, just kidding!

You and I mostly look for almost the same things in a car. So, I was certain the Ford will win you over. And that's why I told you the only downside of driving the Fiesta beforehand. You just wouldn't be able to get it out of your head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Brilliant review dude and those pictures are amazing!

I am hoping reviews like these will motivate or inspire Ford to look at this product more seriously and put in more effort to try and sell it!

Did you mention, Momo, Revenge, Matt Anthracite, 16" wheels!?

Something like this?

Attachment 1376766
LOL! You really had to do that, didn't you?

The wheels look amazing! The pattern, the shade looks bespoke for the Fiesta. I can only imagine the stance of the car with those 16 inchers.

How is the ride? Let us know. And how high can the front wheels throw up muck now? LOL! Roads in KL don't hold up that well, so I am scared to exchange rubber with metal. And 16" tyres and Momo combination is quite costly as well. But, well worth it! Awesome purchase.

With Ford, we can only hope on their intent behind the Fiesta. From the past, we have seen that they can ideally handle only one product correctly at any given time. So, I am eagerly waiting to see how they handle everything in the portfolio once Aspire hits the market. From what I have seen so far, it looks like the car can win many home as its more catered towards our mass market. Let's see!
deetjohn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 09:41   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats ! And a very nicely written review. And to top off, pics that show the subtle styling ..
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 09:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your buy! I thought you were a Swift man and was surprised to see a Ford. Your observation regarding the engine is spot on - that's exactly what I felt during a test drive. Love the Aston looks and imported parts that are still used on the Fiesta. Yes, I'm an import snob

BTW, did you post process your pictures in Lightroom or just off of the camera? They look fantastic, especially the one in the underground car park with your pilot lights on. Enjoy your drive!
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed