Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2017, 11:02   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

AC conked off: Defective Valve

In just over two years, this is my second warranty related issue crop up, the AC just stopped cooling on a sultry afternoon. Called Shaman MB Kurla workshop, they took 2 days to give an appointment. After which they took a further 4 days to diagnose the damn problem which was traced down to a faulty valve. Another 2 days in the procurement of the parts. By this time I was fed up as after daily follow ups with the service advisor and manager, the only update I got was "work is yet on sir". I called up the dealership owner to intervene and finally got the car back after a week!
No matter how big or small a job you need to get done, MB workshops spend a minimum of 48 hours in diagnostics. Even a basic service is a 3 day process on average. This is the case at both Shaman as well as Autohangar.

This is really not the kind of reliability or service I expect after buying their marquee product.

I hope I don't repent putting my faith back in this brand after 15 years. The reliability so far has not been good as one defective part is detected and replaced every year. Besides small niggles such as squeaks from the rear seat, hopefully, this time it is permanently fixed.
It's good that MB replaces the defective parts without any haggling, however, the inconvenience of the process is very painful especially since it is happening due to no fault of yours.
Sahil is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 15:24   #92
BANNED

Re: AC conked off: Defective Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
No matter how big or small a job you need to get done, MB workshops spend a minimum of 48 hours in diagnostics. Even a basic service is a 3 day process on average.
Wow, you buy a car costing a Crore (which could help settle a common Indian family man for life at a small town) and in 2 years of attentive, passionate usage, this is what you get, parts failing, car at the ASC for multiple days and lacklustre after sales support.

In my childhood, I remember my dad telling me that a Mercedes is for life, those days are long gone I guess...!!!
n.devdath is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 01:06   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

In my childhood, I remember my dad telling me that a Mercedes is for life, those days are long gone I guess...!!!
Toyota. I think he may have meant Toyota!

Quote:
In just over two years, this is my second warranty related issue crop up, the AC just stopped cooling on a sultry afternoon. Called Shaman MB Kurla workshop, they took 2 days to give an appointment. After which they took a further 4 days to diagnose the damn problem which was traced down to a faulty valve. Another 2 days in the procurement of the parts. By this time I was fed up as after daily follow ups with the service advisor and manager, the only update I got was "work is yet on sir". I called up the dealership owner to intervene and finally got the car back after a week!
No matter how big or small a job you need to get done, MB workshops spend a minimum of 48 hours in diagnostics. Even a basic service is a 3 day process on average. This is the case at both Shaman as well as Autohangar.

This is really not the kind of reliability or service I expect after buying their marquee product.

I hope I don't repent putting my faith back in this brand after 15 years. The reliability so far has not been good as one defective part is detected and replaced every year. Besides small niggles such as squeaks from the rear seat, hopefully, this time it is permanently fixed.
It's good that MB replaces the defective parts without any haggling, however, the inconvenience of the process is very painful especially since it is happening due to no fault of yours.

Probably not an apples to apples comparison but That's still pretty fast though. the AC on my 10 month old Crysta just suddenly started going on and off randomly and it took Toyota a week to diagnose and replace a part. Only to have the issue crop up again within 2 days. Took them another week to finally realize my car had a faulty compressor. Add another 3 days to procure a new compressor. Finally have my car in working condition after about 2.5 weeks in the ASC.

Mind you, i was pissed because i spent 27 big ones on a "reliable" Toyota. I can only imagine the fury of hell going through your head when it happens to a Crore rupee car like an S.

While reading travelogs I come across several queries regarding route etc., which are not answered so as to be useful for the person in a timely manner. I reckon there's no dearth of helpful souls in the community but because they do not go through all the threads most queries are left unanswered.

Can we have a tab in the Route Queries, like the Quick Reply tab in all threads, so that when a query is raised, it gets stacked in a separate thread, which opens the original thread when one clicks on the query? The advantage is the answers may come forth in a timely fashion.

Thanks.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 16th September 2017 at 13:41. Reason: Merging back to back posts
lejhoom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 10:52   #94
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My W222 Mercedes S-Class (S350 CDI)

Quote:
In just over two years, this is my second warranty related issue crop up, the AC just stopped cooling on a sultry afternoon.
Sorry to hear about it, but I'm not surprised going by their track record & the sheer complexity of these cars. Owners of high-end luxury cars have two choices:

1. Buy a European, enjoy it for 350 days of the year and be prepared for 10 to 15 days of inconvenience.

2. Buy a Lexus and have it on the road for 363 days of the year. But no driving pleasure. I personally find Lexus damn boring to drive & overpriced (in India) too.

Frankly, between these two options, I'll anyday take the first one as, at least for 97% of the year, I'll have a smile plastered on my face whenever I take my car out.

It's unfortunate that we have to make a choice between absolute reliability & driving pleasure, but that's how it is. Lower down the food chain too, one has to make a similar choice (Elite i20 vs Polo GT or Corolla vs Octavia).

Quote:
I hope I don't repent putting my faith back in this brand after 15 years. The reliability so far has not been good as one defective part is detected and replaced every year.
Oh come on, the C-Class' we owned were devils that showed their true colours in 2 years. Your car is performing far better than that.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 00:35   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sahil,
I am contemplating purchase of S class , i owned previous generation S class and now planning to move to Mercedes after 6 years gap.
Main worries are around air suspension, Ac ,sensor failures. What is your opinion so far and beyond 50,000 kms of ownership.
I also understand Air suspension is not covered under any warranty and is considered wear and tear item.
Old 18th September 2018, 16:21   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal9999 View Post
Hi Sahil,
I am contemplating purchase of S class , i owned previous generation S class and now planning to move to Mercedes after 6 years gap.
Main worries are around air suspension, Ac ,sensor failures. What is your opinion so far and beyond 50,000 kms of ownership.
I also understand Air suspension is not covered under any warranty and is considered wear and tear item.
I don't think suspension is out of warranty. I have had one of my shocks changed under warranty few months ago.

There haven't been many complaints in the W221 facelift air suspension or any in the W222. I don't forsee any major issues.

Just make sure you take extended warranty and all your concerns mentioned will be gone.
Also, please remember that after warranty comes goodwill warranty which the Germans are pretty generous about. If not 100% you will get 40-50% covered.

Go for the W222, its the best out there. My father was recently thinking if he would upgrade his S and the only car he could think of was the Maybach which isn't much different. It's still the best in the segment.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 14:53   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Go for the W222, its the best out there. My father was recently thinking if he would upgrade his S and the only car he could think of was the Maybach which isn't much different. It's still the best in the segment.
I agree with you there, and given the pricing of the Maybach the 350d seems so much more value for money in terms of the package as compared to the Maybach.

Sorry to hear about your issues with the car, our W222 has been going strong for nearly 3 years now. Just curious, how many kms have you covered so far? Our car doesn't do a lot of running as our daily commutes are relatively short.
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 15:26   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
Just curious, how many kms have you covered so far?
Just about 30,000 kms now
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 15:30   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Just about 30,000 kms now
That's almost like mine, I've done about 27k, and our cars have been purchased just a couple of months apart (mine was in September). But glad to know the warranties are honoured without a fuss, while the issues aren't great news, atlas the warranties are comforting.
Old 21st September 2018, 08:30   #100
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sahil,

Do you take your car out on the highway often? Please do a Bombay-Goa drive. These cars are just magical for long distances on the open road. As good as my 530d is within the city, it is 10 times better on the highway. Germans are indeed built for the Auto Bahn.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 14:09   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Germans are indeed built for the Auto Bahn.
True but I think S class is an exception. I appreciate S class the most in congested, chaotic, pothole ridden rainy day urban commute. For a normal highway drive, almost anything from Octavia onwards gets the job done.
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2019, 14:42   #102
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sahil, the more I drive an S-Class and the more I see one (there are so MANY of them in Bombay), the more I'm getting convinced that it should be my next sedan. I'm well & truly besotted by it.

Just damn worried about that air suspension and its lack of reliability. Have heard too many horror stories of even the W221's air suspension failures. My cousin was once stranded in Shirdi, while a Mercedes dealer was in Mahabaleshwar (both W221s, not the W222). I drive a whole lot on the highway and cannot afford to have one give up on me like that.

Either ways, am going to hold onto my 530d for at least another 3 - 4 years, so I have ample time to gauge the reliability. Hope Mercedes has fixed it this time.

Do you know of any high-mileage W222s in India? How has their reliability been?
Old 14th January 2019, 14:48   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Either ways, am going to hold onto my 530d for at least another 3 - 4 years, so I have ample time to gauge the reliability. Hope Mercedes has fixed it this time.

Do you know of any high-mileage W222s in India? How has their reliability been?
If it helps, I haven't seen many of the newer S-Classes facing air suspension issues, though I have seen a S90, some BMWs, and Audi's with the same.
In fact, I don't recall seeing a single W222 with an air suspension failure.

That being said, I totally see where you are coming from having lived with the A6 and it's suspension woes.

My bigger concern with one of these Germans on the highway are to do with the low profile tyres + ground clearance, rather than air suspension.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2019, 15:53   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just damn worried about that air suspension and its lack of reliability. Have heard too many horror stories of even the W221's air suspension failures. My cousin was once stranded in Shirdi, while a Mercedes dealer was in Mahabaleshwar (both W221s, not the W222). I drive a whole lot on the highway and cannot afford to have one give up on me like that.
One should treat the air suspension as if it is a consumable, like a timing belt or similar. Try and renew the struts after a certain mileage. One would need to do some research to find out the average life of these

Expensive but the only way or switch to coils. I don't know what one misses out on or compromises (like Airmatic warning light remains on ) but solutions are here
https://www.strutmasters.com/product...ht-fix-mu14fm/

https://www.arnottindustries.com/amf...ic-2004-212800
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 07:56   #105
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
In fact, I don't recall seeing a single W222 with an air suspension failure.
Thanks! That's encouraging. Not seeing too many complaints online either. Basically, I want an S-Class with 530d-like reliability . I just love the S-Class' stateliness, elegance & personality. Mercedes really hit it out of the park with the W222. It's the first S-Class I really love since the W140 & W126.

Quote:
My bigger concern with one of these Germans on the highway are to do with the low profile tyres + ground clearance, rather than air suspension.
I'm almost 40,000 km up on my 18" rims. No problem yet. Just got to be cautious on bad patches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
One should treat the air suspension as if it is a consumable, like a timing belt or similar. Try and renew the struts after a certain mileage.

Quote:
I don't know what one misses out on or compromises (like Airmatic warning light remains on ) but solutions are here
Not seeing any coil conversion kits for the W222 online. Plus, a big part about these cars is how they behave on the road and at high speed. I would be apprehensive about choosing an after-market kit from a relatively unknown brand as compared to Mercedes' OEM parts.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks