Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2019, 16:01   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My W222 Mercedes S-Class (S350 CDI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sahil, the more I drive an S-Class and the more I see one (there are so MANY of them in Bombay), the more I'm getting convinced that it should be my next sedan. I'm well & truly besotted by it.
As time passes I see a more open minded GTO, first you were dead against the DC font for luxury sedans then you succumb to it. Then you claimed you are too young for a S-class but now the bug has bitten you
The W222 is by no means an old man's car. While one should buy a S as a prize of your accomplishment, it doesn't necessarily matter with age. For example, a young successful startup's Founder/CEO in his 30s pulling up in an S won't be considered too young to own a S.

On the reliability front, my car is now 3.5 years old and been relatively trouble free. No signs of the air suspension giving way whatsoever. While I don't know of any high mileage w222s, I know ones that are running on 21inch rims in Delhi with regular usage since nearly 5 years without any issues.

Start keeping it a look out on w222 S-classes in the used car market and pick one up when the price and time is right.
Sahil is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 16:25   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1. Buy a European, enjoy it for 350 days of the year and be prepared for 10 to 15 days of inconvenience.

It's unfortunate that we have to make a choice between absolute reliability & driving pleasure, but that's how it is.
Murphy's law will dictate that things (including cars) fail on the worst day possible. The Germans build in way too much complexity and something is bound to fail when you least expect it.
navin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 14:03   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

4th Year Service Update & Some cosmetic Upgrades!

This week is my cars 4th birthday, its now run 40,000kms

Car had it's 4th year major service last week wherein besides the regular service of oil and filter changes, the transmission oil was also changed for the first time.

There was some wear and tear replacements also needed - Brake pads (all 4 being changed the second time)Engine and gear box mountings were showing signs of wear so I got them all replaced since there was a summer service camp on that gave discount on certain parts.

Since my extended warranty was coming to an end, I got them to check and replace few major parts. Front suspension(felt it was getting hard and worn a bit), water pump(coolant had some leakage), parking brake motor(had a malfunction)

Overall bill was approx 2L. The work that was carried out was probably over 5L worth if i did not get the warranty support and summer camp discounts etc.

Shaman workshop in Kurla has been great to deal with and I almost always only send my car there.

The car has got a good internal mid life crisis overhaul. She now drives like new hence it's time to indulge in some cosmetic changes to make her look like new again!
I have ordered a new wooden steering(something I always wanted), moreover the existing beige leather on the steering has got ruined thanks to fades and stains. I took this matter up for warranty but they refused, frankly this is not the quality I expected out of Mercedes for their leather. I am sure the wood steering with last without any trouble.
Managed to source the steering from an external vendor for half the price of what Mercedes quoted me for the wood steering!
Also, going to repaint the alloys to hyper silver from their current Himalayan grey shade.

Last edited by Sahil : 20th May 2019 at 14:08.
Sahil is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 06:52   #109
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 4th Year Service Update & Some cosmetic Upgrades!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Congrats on the 4th birthday. Share the latest pics. These cars age so well.

Quote:
Overall bill was approx 2L. The work that was carried out was probably over 5L worth if i did not get the warranty support and summer camp discounts etc.
Wow, that is quite steep. As I've always said, whether one buys a new S-Class or used, it's the ultimate "money-no-object" car.

Quote:
Shaman workshop in Kurla has been great to deal with and I almost always only send my car there.
That's great to hear .

Wish you many more years of pleasurable ownership with this luxo-barge.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 10:30   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Is suspension replacement covered in warranty/extended warranty?
I thought this was a wear and tear part and hence not covered?

How much is the cost of suspension change and how much of it was covered under warranty?
Old 24th May 2019, 02:23   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Is suspension replacement covered in warranty/extended warranty?
I thought this was a wear and tear part and hence not covered?

How much is the cost of suspension change and how much of it was covered under warranty?
Yes it was fully covered under warranty. The full air suspension was not changed, I think few components like the arms were. Not sure of the price since i didn’t have to pay for its parts or labour.

Engine mounting was not covered under warranty as it was “wear and tear” I guess suspension is not considered in that. Don’t get the logic but I ain’t complaining since the mounts weren’t as expensive
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 09:02   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it was fully covered under warranty. The full air suspension was not changed, I think few components like the arms were. Not sure of the price since i didn’t have to pay for its parts or labour.

Engine mounting was not covered under warranty as it was “wear and tear” I guess suspension is not considered in that. Don’t get the logic but I ain’t complaining since the mounts weren’t as expensive
That is surprising,for my w212 e class engine and transmission mounts were changed under warranty and they were for around 50 grand.
jayanttalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 09:33   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanttalwar View Post
That is surprising,for my w212 e class engine and transmission mounts were changed under warranty and they were for around 50 grand.
I guess some parts like these are normally not covered under extended warranty but honoured under standard warranty. But then, dealership has a big role to play. If they want, such claims are possible under goodwill warranty.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 14:47   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I guess some parts like these are normally not covered under extended warranty but honoured under standard warranty. But then, dealership has a big role to play. If they want, such claims are possible under goodwill warranty.
Yes that will be the case. It really depends on the dealership how they want to move things forward. I was quoted 70k for replacement of Engine and Gearbox mountings as well as stabilizer links of my W212 with 38,000 km on ODO and was told that it won't be covered under extended warranty as it's a wear and tear item.
Dhruv29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 16:51   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations! My S350d will be 4 years old in July, and we literally have the same spec, down to the S500 rims! I need to get me that rear bumper

Quote:
Agreed completely, they have a great team and have quick turn around times too. Dealt with the showroom and workshop numerous of times over the years through ownerships of 4 different Mercedes', and they've never let me down!

Quote:
I have ordered a new wooden steering(something I always wanted),
Managed to source the steering from an external vendor for half the price of what Mercedes quoted me for the wood steering!
Can you PM me where you sourced this? My car has eucalyptus wooden trim and I assume so does yours, and after an extensive search I came to the conclusion that they never made any steering wheels with the eucalyptus trim. The only ones I found available have the Walnut wooden trim, which in photos looks the same but in person it's a very different shade.
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 10:34   #116
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
Can you PM me where you sourced this?
Why PM, guys? Please share on the forum so other Mercedes owners benefit too.

A PM helps 1 person; a public post helps thousands .
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 13:40   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
The only ones I found available have the Walnut wooden trim, which in photos looks the same but in person it's a very different shade.
Oh damn, thanks for pointing this out. I just realised myself

In pictures the shade does look different but the steering image wood looks a bit dark. Oh well, I guess i'll just have to live with it now, yet better than living with a stained/discoloured leather steering as I currently am.

Steering is enroute and should have it fitted next weekend or so.
D.A.D Design hooked it up.
Attached Thumbnails
My W222 Mercedes S-Class (S350 CDI)-whatsapp-image-20190510-3.08.12-pm.jpeg  

Attached Images

Sahil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 14:04   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Oh well, I guess i'll just have to live with it now, yet better than living with a stained/discoloured leather steering as I currently am.

Steering is enroute and should have it fitted next weekend or so.
D.A.D Design hooked it up.
Looks like a Mercteil photo. I guess that's where he sourced it from.

I'm actually interested to see how different it looks to the trim in the car, the only reason I didn't do it because it would trigger my extreme OCD.

Do share images once you get it fitted. The difference to my eyes is that the eucalyptus has a yellower tinge and the grain is very very fine and 'hair-like' while the walnut is a much deeper brown (seen it on a friends Maybach) and had a cloudy burr grain.
Old 19th June 2019, 17:13   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally the steering got delivered. DAD had some internal issue with their supplier hence things got delayed by a few weeks! However, overall am happy with the results.

The walnut trim conflict is not noticeable as the shade is very similar. The steering feels soooo much more premium to hold, you don't feel like taking your hands off it!

The rims look a bit more sober in this fresh new paint shade but overall makes the rims look slightly larger than the gunmetal grey they were finished in before.

Observed a new problem today, the cold air intake hose pipe seems to be giving way. Its made of a delicate felt type material. Is there a fix for this or any aftermarket solution that is more durable? I wonder why MB is using this flimsy material.
Attached Thumbnails
My W222 Mercedes S-Class (S350 CDI)-whatsapp-image-20190619-4.44.901-pm.jpeg  

My W222 Mercedes S-Class (S350 CDI)-whatsapp-image-20190619-4.43.42-pm.jpeg  

My W222 Mercedes S-Class (S350 CDI)-whatsapp-image-20190619-4.44.01-pm.jpeg  

My W222 Mercedes S-Class (S350 CDI)-whatsapp-image-20190619-5.08.08-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by Sahil : 19th June 2019 at 17:15.
Sahil is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 10:16   #120
BHPian

Hi Sahil, how's the S holding up? Any updates?
advaydh is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed