Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:45   #1126
BHPian

re: Preview: Hyundai Creta

@GTO
I understand a quality review will take time. However there is lot of dilemma among the members on below aspects.
1) Is Creta worth the price (you have already answered that)
2) Which is better option among similaryly priced SX(O) and SX+AT.

The 2nd one is the confusion most of the members who have decided to buy Creta are going through. They have accepted the price and the fact that you dont have top end AT. While there shouldnt be any debate on # of airbags (definitely one with 6 airbags is safer), How much difference does the HAC, ESC would make in overall stability? Also is AT have better turbo lag management as compared to MT.
Yes, I test drove back to back, but a 1.5 km drive with 3 signals in CBD which would take 15~20 mins, thers is very little you can judge on those aspects

If we can get some advise and guidance on above, it will help many folks like me to make the decision.

Last edited by NaveenKD : 23rd July 2015 at 12:47.
NaveenKD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:47   #1127
BHPian

One of the favorable comments on the Hyundai pricing I have seen is that their after sales service is excellent. I don't think there is merit to it. Excellent after sales service does not mean it could add to the cost. Being a Hyundai customer previously I can tell you, approximately 4.5 years into ownership, the costs of owning a Hyundai are going to sky rocket.

A Hyundai after 5 years is really expensive to maintain. The service guys will try to add to the service costs by loading up unwanted things. So unless you are very well informed of what needs to be done, you will end up footing a fat bill. Ask any Hyundai owners about it. My Honda on the other hand is 5 years old, runs up a bill of 3500- 4000 with just regular service. Runs all through the year and spends one day at service. It is extremely well built car with no rattles or unwanted niggles after all these years of driving and having seen some really bad roads too.

This was not the case with my Santro. Not only was it expensive to maintain, but also rattling after 4.5 years of use on the same roads which I mostly travel. So all of you out there considering keeping a Hyundai for 5+ years, keep in mind the service costs and the niggles that will creep up after 5 years of ownership. You will easily get the feeling of changing the car again, which is when this extra high cost of Creta will start bothering.

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd July 2015 at 13:07. Reason: Spacing
sudeepg is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:50   #1128
BHPian

The apple and the orange were pleased to stand by side for this rather low quality picture. A Creta on the left, a Q7 on the right and a Q3 right behind the Creta. Surprisingly Q3 dint quite hide the Creta completely even when they were nose to tail
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_20150723_122505.jpg

Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_20150723_122508.jpg
shady_lawyer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:50   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenKD View Post
@GTO
I understand a quality review will take time. However there is lot of dilemma among the members
Agree with you. The launch is done, but the Team-BHP review is about a month away. That would be a month of dilemma for many. Especially for people awaiting report of ride, handling, steering response etc.
Old 23rd July 2015, 13:01   #1130
BHPian

With all due respect to this car and Hyundai fans, I don't think that good quality interiors should be the sole deciding factor of picking this car over others.
Hyundai have themselves set the bar quite high in terms of their interior quality right from their cheapest car on offering, the Eon.
If its a Hyundai it MUST have premium quality interiors.
Grand i10's interior fit and finish is even ahead of cars two-three segments higher. That means Hyundai have reached that level of cost advantage and level of production that offering premium quality interiors over others doesn't justify the so premium price at which the Creta has been introduced.
Just my thoughts.
Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 13:16   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It's a tough sell but I really need an AT in the house. And yes the Creta easily matches upto the Elantra, Cruze and Altis in interiors. Toyota charges 20+ lakhs for the Altis diesel with 1.4L engine, 88PS. You get only 2 airbags for that price with the Toyota vs the 6 in Creta. Space wise the Altis is a little more at the back but not day/nigh difference.

My ALtis is 6 years old, due for a change and if I need to get anything close to the Altis I need to look at 20+ for new Altis, Jetta or Octavia.

With the Creta at 17L you get a lot of what you are getting at 20+ lakhs.

So if I want to change a 6 year old Altis should I get a new ALtis CVT at 22 lakhs? Or get a Jetta/Octavia at 26 lakhs. Other option is to downgrade to the Honda City CVT or a Vento/Rapid.

So you see how the Creta makes sense in a way?
This is what I was also expecting. An AT in the top spec SX(O). But I guess Hyundai had other plans.

I feel the same as Vid, in that when I also went to see the Creta, the interiors and features of the SX+ (the AT version) were not up to the mark, in my opinion.

Hope Hyundai looks to introduce the AT in the top spec SX(O) soon, and I may start thinking about Creta again.

Also, I would like to know if anyone has done a "decent" test drive of the Diesel Creta and can comment on the ride quality, i.e. how it handles the bumps, potholes and roads. I think that would be very helpful in trying to make a comparison with the Duster and EcoSport.
Old 23rd July 2015, 13:39   #1132
BHPian

If we keep the price of the car hidden then definitely Hyundai has brought in a great car. Possibly one of the best they are offering in today's line-up alongside Elite i20.

When I see at the pricing, I start comparing it with the Mahindra XUV500. The price difference between the top-end diesel of Creta SX (O) and XUV500 W10 (FWD) is about 1.51 Lacs.

For 1.51 Lacs, what you get is this:
  • One Additional Row (2 More Passengers)
  • 110 mm width
  • 155 mm Height
  • 315 mm Length
  • 110 mm Wheelbase
  • Auto Wipers & Headlamps
  • Sunroof
  • Traction Control System
  • Cruise Control
  • Folding Rear Seat
  • Higher Ground Clearance (by 17 mm)
  • 235/65 R17 as against 215/60 R17 of Creta
  • Rear Disc Brakes as against Rear Drum of Creta

I have left out the Power and Torque Figures after some brainstorming with fellow BHPians on the Navi Mumbai Whatsapp Group. The Power and Torque are relative to the Weight of the car. Hyundai has not mentioned the Weight of the car anywhere even on the Brochure.

The plus points of Creta stand as below:
  • Better Fuel Economy
  • Better ASS
  • Build Quality Better than the XUV500
  • Exciting Driveability

The Creta was supposed to be a competitor for Duster / Ecosport / Terrano. One could leave Ecosport out because of its size and Ecosport taking the Excise Benefit. Creta is priced about 1.2 to 1.4 Lacs more than the Duster. The Terrano itself is already over-priced and still about 70K lesser than the Creta. (Comparing the Top-End Cars only)

But suddenly Creta starts battling out with XUV500 and my personal opinion is that in such a scenario the XUV500 would come out as a better overall package, given that the Safety Features are the same across both the cars.
tejas08 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 13:52   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Just a though, so if Hyundai launches SX (O) AT variant - on road price is going to sky rocket, almost reaching 19L in some cities in the south. I think that may be one reason why Hyundai didn't bother.
Old 23rd July 2015, 14:55   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
But suddenly Creta starts battling out with XUV500 and my personal opinion is that in such a scenario the XUV500 would come out as a better overall package, given that the Safety Features are the same across both the cars.
Whether we BHPian (although I am still a newbie ) like it or not, Creta has priced itself in such a way that it will end up being compared to XUV, which is D1 segment.

XUV, being such a competent and value for money product, is very tough to beat, especially for Creta which was to compete with likes of Terrano/Duster.
Hyundai has it's advantages in terms of premium interiors and better sales and service. Still I expect the launch of Creta will push XUV sales up, remember i20 sales went north bound after the launch of overpriced Jazz few years ago.
Creta sales are going to be an interesting topic in coming months, for sure.
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 15:40   #1135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Renault and Nissan already have one in the name of Duster and Terrano respectively and it was selling well until recently. Seeing the Creta prices, I think they will go back to the 3-4K zone soon.
Yes, they do and I actually meant in Vezel's perspective from Honda & Rogue's and/or Murano's perspective from Nissan. If the acceptance of Creta is good in price sensitive Indian market, it gives Manufacturers a free hand in finding the right balance between good product & it's pricing. The references above aren't in the literal sense but more like a parent to the customized offering of India-like markets since Compact/Urban SUV market is the one where numbers are. And next year's Auto Expo will testify to this .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Except for ESP, 4 more Airbags; the S-Cross doesn't really lose out on anything compared to Ecosport/Creta. It comes with rear-disc brakes as well, something missed out on both Creta, Ecosport.

And seeing the F.E. figures, Maruti have got a trump card there as well along with that peak torque figure of 320NM for the 1.6L engine.

If they get the pricing right, they have a winner on their hands. Style be damned.
Exactly If pricing mattered over the design, S-Cross it is but for others S-Cross just won't cut it as an alternative to Creta.
Old 23rd July 2015, 15:52   #1136
BHPian

At least by now, its clear that Creta is a good car, the only question is "Is it worth the price?"

I'll suggest another way to look at the typical head vs heart problem : If you are finding reasons to buy Creta or you are asking your friends for another opinion, then it might be that somewhere in your mind, you are not that willing to spend your 15-16 Lakhs and you dont think that its worth your 15-16 Lakhs. So, typically, your head is at work.

But, if you are not from that category who is asking for his friend for a second opinion, then your heart is at work and you will buy Creta no matter what.

If i have too much money, i wont care, go and buy Creta, as it might be 2-3 lakhs more for its value, keep it as my 2nd or 3rd car. But, for average person like me, 99 out of 100 times, i'll go for XUV, given i have waited for long to earn those 15-16 lakhs.
Old 23rd July 2015, 16:04   #1137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
My friend looking to change his 8 year old Civic and also a petrohead asked my opinion. When I pointed out Creta to him for consideration, he simply rubbished it saying he wants to upgrade and not downgrade.

All said and done, I feel your heart is already set on buying a Creta from your message above. My heart generally rules my mind.
An enthusiast driving a civic will never look at the Creta.

My Altis is used by dad and mainly chauffeur driven. The criteria was good rear comfort and easy to get in and out of and should have a premium feel. The AT was a criteria because I have seen drivers driving MT cars horribly. Plus AT on weekends when driver is on leave will be useful when I drive.

That's why I said the Creta can be an option. But it's pointless for me to have 2 compact SUV's Ecosport and Creta by giving away the Altis.

My heart is made up for the Jetta TDI DSG and not for the Creta at all. I am not listening to the heard cause I don't want to get a Jetta and see driver driving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Exactly my point! You are paying a lot more here when comparing to what the top spec in competition has. Why would you pay 5.5 lakhs more for features you mostly have in the Altis? I guess the motive is more of "changing to a new car" the car vs. getting the features?

Not trying to discourage you from getting the Creta, but I think that customers are paying a lot lot more than what the competition is offering. The Creta must be priced higher than its competition, but it's way too high in my opinion when I look at the on road prices in Bangalore.
It is defnitely the road block I have to purchasing the Creta.
All cars have the same problem! I paid 14L for my Altis in 2009 with what not features. Now the same Altis is 21 lakhs!

For my need to get an AT, I will have to sell my ALtis for 6-7 lakhs then spend 15 more for the same Altis new model with AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
Vid, you are spot on.
The only solution I now see is to either (i) stretch to Elantra/Jetta/ Octavia or (ii) come down to EcoSport or maybe the Polo GT TSI (no side/curtain airbags though).

See the h-u-g-e gap in the market? And see the painful dilemma?
Same issue as me. Stuck with no proper upgrade unless you spend 25+ for Jetta/Octavia or need to have a small downgrade.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 16:06   #1138
BHPian

Team, we are talking about overpricing. But how would you explain 15K confirmed bookings? (Even if ~ 5K cancelled post the 'shocking' prices are revealed)

Really, this has been a trend to price the cars out of reach of majority of aspiring population (or is it only me?) Clearly, XUV beats Creta any given day in terms of value and package. I wonder if the finesse or fancy factor of the brand Hyundai commands such a respect enough to instill a confidence to charge 17 L OTR for top end monocoque pseudo SUV!

I mean, it is the territory of Body on ladder Safari, Scorpio, XUV and even Aria! I wonder if Hyundai thinks they've made an Audi Q1.

I continue to wonder for now. BTW, I have huge respect for Elite I20. It's a brilliant package and worth the price. But Creta, Sorry..Way too overpriced.

Last edited by rangarx : 23rd July 2015 at 16:21.
rangarx is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 16:08   #1139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_delight View Post
At least by now, its clear that Creta is a good car, the only question is "Is it worth the price?"

If i have too much money, i wont care, go and buy Creta, as it might be 2-3 lakhs more for its value, keep it as my 2nd or 3rd car. But, for average person like me, 99 out of 100 times, i'll go for XUV, given i have waited for long to earn those 15-16 lakhs.
There is a physiological way of looking at this. Any vehicle closer to 20 lac rupees, looks and feels substantial from outside be it a car or a SUV. Or has a substantial batch on its hood. Not sure if the Creta has either. Hyundai can't play the Mini Cooper or the Range Rover Evoque game here, they neither have the batch nor the quality or goodwill to match up even at 17 lacs.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 16:18   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

For my need to get an AT, I will have to sell my ALtis for 6-7 lakhs then spend 15 more for the same Altis new model with AT.
Ah, yes the AT! Overlooked the magic word.

I'd say its an edge case. Not sure how many people will fall in this bracket though.

I wish the AT also had ESP and hill hold. It is definitely something that I want in my next car and preferably an AT.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks