• Creta Variants come with Driver & Passenger airbags or None
  • -Base & S Variants do not get airbags

For other variant to variant comparisons, refer post by @mrbaddy on page 40
Old 24th July 2015, 11:02   #1187
BHPian

re: Preview: Hyundai Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Like the analysis of variants I did for the S-Cross, did one for the Creta variants as well, here goes
Hi NPV, the variant comparison is provided for Creta too along with Excel that I used. See this Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
*Going by almost same number of pages in the Creta Preview and S-Cross details thread, seems like TBHP members' seem to be showing equal interest in both!
Yes. These two threads will keep on adding pages considering S Cross launch is another 10 days away and Creta full media reviews are going to come out in August.

Edit: @NPV, I missed your above post while I'm compiling this post. Thank you.

Last edited by mrbaddy : 24th July 2015 at 11:06. Reason: Additional details
Old 24th July 2015, 11:09   #1188
BHPian

As a few others have mentioned the Duster AWD is more sensible and VFM option if one is looking for an "SUV". The ride quality will be superior and the looks are much better. The Creta rear looks abnormal IMO.

Or go for the Scorpio 4x4 if you want the extra low range gearbox.

These can take you to places where the Creta can only dream of.
tomraven99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 11:10   #1189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Many thanks Behemoth. Sad about Yeti pricing though.
I think Yeti would score better at ride quality & engine-wegine side.
I also think a big plus point of Hyundai would be their a.s.s. Nissan/Renault has just one per town( on an average) whereas Hyundai would be 2-3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I was waiting for something like this comparo note!
Thanks Behemoth.
Cheers!
Thanks JKDas,
With the new Yeti's pricing, it is seriously too expensive (even in Gurgaon it is no longer value for money starting at 20 Lacs + !) - When I had bought my Yeti in Dec 2010, it was 15.4 Lacs onroad in Gurgaon for the Ambiente version 4x4 ! At that time it was probably much better value for money but as it was alone in its segment at that time people had not caught onto the Crossover Fancy by then. It was only when the Duster was launched is that the X-over segment really took on big volumes. Then came Eco-sport which also changed the scenario completely with very low pricing and a practical solution to the cratered and waterlogged roads in most cities. (Gurgaon being one of them - most roads are pitted with craters almost 8 Inches deep nowadays). The Crossover segment actually addresses this need better than a C Segment sedan as Ground clearance is better and crossovers are also good highway cruisers and can take broken roads with aplomb. Hence a lot of C-segment owners moved to the Crossover segment.

Cars like the Yeti had a unique advantage of starting early, but guess the management never saw the volume opportunity which lay in the 12-16 lac bracket and just could not capitalize it enough and bring down costs by localization. Other companies - Ford and Renault really seized this opportunity and probably are making good money too. Hyundai, though late to the party, has played very smartly and the Creta is much superior to both the Ecosport as well as the Duster in terms of Interior space, Design language, creature comforts and Fit-finish. It is the ideal replacement for the C-Segment sedan for any city with broken roads (my guess is 19 out of 20 cities in India have broken roads!) so it has become a NEED rather than a choice. With a 3 year unlimited Warranty, and also a 2 extended warranty, Hyundai is trying to give peace of mind to buyers who are anyway scared of other brands service and warranty issues. Hyundai also has a good service presence all across India and the biggest plus is their ATTITUDE towards positive customer experience which unfortunately many companies lack these days.

To answer some of Shankar's questions:
Now the questions and points I have are;
Would you replace your Yeti with the Creta? My answer is no as I am looking at upgrading to either a Ford Everest/ New Fortuner when it is launched! But if I were looking to replace our Laura, I would replace it with a Creta!

Will the Creta boot pass the lateral golf bag test? Yes, it may as the Depth of the Boot is bigger and the Golf Kit may fit in Diagonally lying down - but that's my perception and there's no better way to check than to actually try it out!

The rear brakes appear to be Drums - will this impact braking feel compared with the Yeti which has all 4 discs? Yes, this was one of the few things where Creta has done some cost cutting, but I doubt this will have more than 10% impact on brake performance.

The overall power and torque of the Creta may be a bit less than the Yeti - is this a serious difference in performance? I am yet to get a Test Drive (yesterday the vehicle had gone out and wasn't available), but in terms of NVH I checked the showroom vehicle in started condition, it was quieter than Yeti. Also, I am sure that as the aerodynamics of the Creta are Fluidic, there will also be much less wind noise at higher speed (90+) which is quite prominent in the Yeti due to the Boxy design.

Is the ground clearance more than the Yeti's 180mm? Yes, it is 190mm and more than the Yeti.

How do the front and rear overhangs compare with the Yeti's? The front and rear overhangs are short and appear coherent with the overall design. But since this vehicle is not meant to be an offroader (hence no 4x4 option) it cannot do offroading and one should not even try! It is good for City-roading which in itself is like offroading or no-roading these days!

How do the overall dimensions compare with the Yeti's? The outer dimensions - length, height and width match the Yeti visually, but the design looks more shapely. In terms of interior space, the Creta has less Head room than the Yeti, but more Leg Room. The seats are also quite comfortable and well bolstered; Rear seat incline is also just right.

Overall Hyundai has done a great job in the overall package of the Creta and also priced it well. The only funny thing in the variants is the lack of SX (O) variant with AT - they could well have sold that too, but price would have been 16.5 Lacs ex showroom, and I am sure there would have been takers for that too. The SX (O) version is quite well kitted and specced and anybody wanting an AT would want those features too. Maybe Hyundai will wake up later and offer it after some time!

Last edited by Behemoth : 24th July 2015 at 11:13.
Behemoth is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 11:22   #1190
BHPian

Looks like Creta is available for immediate delivery atleast going by what my dealer quoted. My friend wanted one and I checked with the dealer and has promised delivery within the month end if we pay the amount in the next couple of days.
Old 24th July 2015, 11:34   #1191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
Yeti is a different orbit altogether when it comes to safety gear.
The top variant's safety features are almost a match right? And that too at a significantly lower price point.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 11:37   #1192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Sad about Yeti pricing though.
I think Yeti would score better at ride quality & engine-wegine side.
Handling, yes (speculative - I haven't driven this Creta thing). Ride quality at low speeds - perhaps not. The Yeti rides a bit firm, which isn't perfect at low speeds.

That said, an Ambiente 4x2 at the same price point may work for Skoda now - the Yeti was slightly ahead of its times, and they didn't bother creating the market. They simply brought in an existing product and hoped that people would buy - which isn't the smartest thing to do.

They could, for instance, make it available with the 1.6 diesel that is available in markets abroad, which would make it cheaper. Hopefully they have indigenised the 1.6 engine to some extent for the Rapid, which would make it more relevant. The new body shape is also less quirky and more generic and would therefore be more acceptable in the market.

However, resurrecting and repositioning an existing vehicle is going to be tougher than creating a market for something new. The Yeti does not compete in this segment, or indeed anywhere else - it is an oddity in the market.

Now at 25+ lakhs for the top end, it is no longer VFM. People who buy vehicles in this segment (that has now been created very intelligently) don't really care for the 4x4, or the other bits and pieces that the Yeti brings in as extra - its not a mini-SUV market but a raised hatchback one, which will be the new cash cow for automakers in place of the erstwhile C-segment that it now replaces at a higher price point.

Those who own it will continue to enjoy the vehicle - that's about it. It is no longer relevant at the specs it offers and the price point it is positioned at.

Last edited by Steeroid : 24th July 2015 at 12:06.
Steeroid is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 11:46   #1193
BHPian

Went to hyundai dealership for a brief look at Creta. TD vehicles were out and not available. Only one on display was the red diesel SX (Salesman was not sure).

First impression as a layman:
- The vehicle looks stunning from outside. Much better than ecosport, duster, terrano and the likes. Looks are subjective, but I am sure anyone who sees it will get the same impression. Was bigger than my expectation.
- As a layman, I felt even the silver alloys are not too bad. The 17" are gr8 no doubt. I wouldnt worry too much about the 16" alloys either. I was given an option to upgrade to the 17" alloys for approx 50K for the 5 alloys with tyres.
- Interiors were a disappointment for me. Not up to the mark for a 16+L vehicle (same interiors till SX+). I just did not get that premium feel. I felt they could have done much better in this area.
- Seats without leather finish are a true miss even for the SX+. The stock seat covers do not give a premium feel. Most people would have to spend additional to put leather seats.
- Seats did not feel very comfortable to sit, they were a bit stiff. Not sure if thats the way all SUVs in this class are. Checked the verna and elantra, seats were more comfortable.
- Rear seat was spacious with good leg room. Person sitting in the middle would have a bad time as back support is protruding because of the tray arrangement. Comfortable for 2 people, not so much for 3 people
- Interior cabin space is not "very" spacious, didnt feel much difference from my existing Getz
- seat adjustment handle works like a pump. Pumping action will alter the height. I assumed it would be electronic, but its not.
- Some very useful sensors like fuel efficiency, distance to empty ar emissing. Cruise control missing.
- Rear window is high, giving the back seat passengers a claustrophobic feel
- Boot space is good, with seats laid down, its quite good

Overall, I am really impressed by the exterior, but dont want to bet 16+L on this considering the not so impressive interiors and electronics. Would like to see the SX(O) to really check the difference in fit and finish w.r.t the lower versions.

But who knows, times are changing and this offering might just shift the prices north for similar offerings in future and then even this might seem like the right price.
aviraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 11:58   #1194
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

They could, for instance, make it available with the 1.6 diesel that is available in markets abroad, which would make it cheaper. Hopefully they have indigenised the 1.6 engine to some extent for the Rapid, which would make it more relevant. The new body shape is also less quirky and more generic and would therefore be more acceptable in the market.

However, resurrecting and repositioning an existing vehicle is going to be tougher than creating a market for something new. The Yeti does not compete in this segment, or indeed anywhere else - it is an oddity in the market.
Steer, you just said what I have been harping in Yeti threads all this while!

Not the 1.6TDI but the newer 1.5TDI which is similar. That one is now locally assembled engine.

They can easily plonk it into the Yeti and get an Ambition variant 4X2. Duster/Creta pricing of 15-17 lakhs will be perfect.

Then there's the petrol. They have the wonderful 1.2TSI in Europe. That in the Yeti in MT or with 7 speed DSG priced above the Rapid but below the Octavia.

The Yeti is perfect for this segment but at 27.5 lakhs, Skoda is killing it themselves slowly.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 12:21   #1195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
diesel SX (Salesman was not sure).

That is where is the difference between Hyundai Dealership and Nexa may come in about attitude of their sales persons. Hyundai sales person are not bothered and interested as i wrote earlier also. They lack basic info and treat Creta customers with disdain.

Yesterday, When i and my wife entered Manglam Hyundai in Raipur, there was a Red Creta SX + Version standing in far corner. A couple was having a close look. As we approached none of the sales person got up and came to meet us or the couple looking at the Creta. Just sat and watched us.

The other gentleman wanted to inquire about the GC and called for the sales lady who casually walks across and says, boliye. On being asked the GC she mentioned 200 mm. I was shocked and immediately told her it is 190 mm. Well she said nahin Sir 200 mm hai. I again asked her are you sure because i can prove it is 190 mm and added to not to give wrong information. Even then she said i think 190 se jyada hi hai 195 hoga. I told her firmly it is 190 and don't fool customers. She turns to the other customer and says ki Sir yeh 5-10 mm se kya farak padta hai, gaadi bahut shandaar hai. Wow! so much for interest in selling.

By that time they knew i could not be fooled so a manager comes and stands close to me without saying any word. When i commented on interior dash colour combination not to my liking, he says, Haan ,agar Verna ki tarah black and beige rakha hot to bahtar hota. OMG he is trying to disuade me from buying! They sure are riding high!
This is where the bane of contention with Hyundai is and they need to do do something about it

Last edited by nkghai : 24th July 2015 at 12:22.
Old 24th July 2015, 13:28   #1196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post

That is where is the difference between Hyundai Dealership and Nexa may come in about attitude of their sales persons. Hyundai sales person are not bothered and interested as i wrote earlier also. They lack basic info and treat Creta customers with disdain.
This actually holds true nearly everywhere for Hyundai. Since day of launch, inspite of informing them about my intent to buy a SX+ Petrol, it seems they're not in mood of conveying anything. I have not been offered a test drive, nor I have been provided with a brochure. Today when I called, the lady answering the call said that Creta is not available in petrol at dealership but i20 Active is. I should buy that!

Hyundai India needs to wake up and teach how to handle customers. If i'm willing to buy a car over 12L, they must not push me to buy their hatchback? Maruti will surely score more in this area with exclusive Nexa showrooms and personal RMs. A very good move by Maruti Suzuki indeed.
Old 24th July 2015, 13:55   #1197
Distinguished - BHPian

Their vehicles sell INSPITE of their salespeople I think!

One of the Bangalore dealers emailed me a Verna brochure even after I specifically spoke to a manager and enquired about the Creta :-)
Old 24th July 2015, 14:45   #1198
BHPian

Its rather bit surprising hearing some of the first hand experiences which you guys had with Hyundai dealers. It was exactly opposite in my case, before Creta was launched I had put in my details in Hyundai website requesting a call back once it is launched. Guess what I had received multiple calls from Sales person from Advaith Hyundai BG Road, inquiring about my plan of visiting showroom. This was rather surprise for me and I am very happy with this approach, I will be visiting today for a TD of 1.6 Petrol Creta.
Old 24th July 2015, 14:51   #1199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
I will be visiting today for a TD of 1.6 Petrol Creta.
Great to hear that.Please do share your thoughts about the SX+ Petrol TD.
Am also waiting for Ravens input on the same.
In my post i never mentioned about TD fiasco with the same dealer. I had requested a TD and was told by the manager, that since Creta is selling like hot cakes there is no chance of a TD in near future.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th July 2015 at 15:49. Reason: Fixing quotes.
nkghai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 15:13   #1200
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the Creta day before. It is absolutely quiet on the inside & has adequate power for all needs. Drove the S version which seems to be getting most attention from the dealer as well as the junta.

Though a short drive as there were many people waiting for a drive. But I did manage to put it to an acceleration "test" & I would say I was impressed. I had the duster RXZ 110 for a year - there is a large difference in terms of engine refinement & performance - The Cetra wins hands down on both counts. Seats are great - very good legroom on the rear bench, all in all a great package. Top end 1.6 (O) is around 15.5L on road in Gurgaon & the 1.6 Sx is at 13.25 on road..

Great engine, NVH superb, suspension very comfortable, cabin very comfortable & well equipped - I would actually say it is a good package. Only disappointment was they are not yet selling the AT - so waiting for the TD of that

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks