Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2015, 09:00   #1321
BHPian

re: Preview: Hyundai Creta

congrats sir (raven). hope the rto issue gets sorted soon. looking forward to know more from you on the interior comfort level.
lillios is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 09:31   #1322
BHPian

Funny that Hyundai still hasn't officially released any numbers for the Creta's kerb weight.

Upon enquiring at the Popular Hyundai showroom here at Kochi, the SA asked the service dept and told us that the Creta weighs just a shade over 1500kgs. Don't know how accurate the figure is, though.
Old 29th July 2015, 09:34   #1323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Took delivery of my "Lazarus"
Congratulations RavenAvi Wish you a long lasting happy ownership. Good to see finally you took a plunge and got the creta. Your heart has won over your mind. I am sure your ownership thread will be very close to the official review with detail pictures
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 09:42   #1324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Funny that Hyundai still hasn't officially released any numbers for the Creta's kerb weight.

Upon enquiring at the Popular Hyundai showroom here at Kochi, the SA asked the service dept and told us that the Creta weighs just a shade over 1500kgs. Don't know how accurate the figure is, though.
Duster is ~ 1200 kgs so Creta seems to be real heavy.
Maybe the absence of Kerb and Gross weight specifications, the issue why there is problem in registering the Creta with RTOs ? Just came to my mind.
Old 29th July 2015, 09:50   #1325
BHPian

Raven, many congratulations.

I had gone to the nearby Hyundai with my friend and team-bhpian deb1975 to take a look at Creta and here are my observations.

The test-drive vehicle was a SX(O) Diesel:
  • The Creta looks and feels premium, inside-out.
  • It is just the right size, like someone pointed out, just small enough for the city, and big enough for the highway.
  • The 17" inches alloys justify the size of the vehicle. Anything smaller will be compromise.
  • When you step inside, you are not overwhelmed, i.e., it is not on-your-face blingy. It is premium and subtle, and I loved it.
  • It took me a while to locate the start-stop button. Being right-handed, I guess, I was looking for it on the right side of the steering wheel. It is tucked away just to the left instead. The start-stop button felt just like a Maruti Swift's.
  • The 7" display unit, perhaps the visibility was low in the light, or perhaps its brightness can be increased.
  • The leather on the seats was good, not top-of-the line, but good. This is no nappa leather.
  • The seats, both Deb and I thought were a bit on the small size. A tad bigger and some more bolstering would take up the premium-ness of the vehicle even further. Hyundai could do better here.
  • The rear-bench, where I sat later, feels more like a seat rather than a "bench," in a good kind of a way. Kids and family would be happy here. Loads of knee room.
  • High window line which has been remarked about did not bother me (I am 5' 6") when sitting in the rear bench. Sitting at the back, the view up front was also good.
  • Start up the engine and the first thing I did was move the steering wheel. It is extremely light at parking speeds, which is a boon for parking this largish car. Not just for ladies.
  • Driving out from the showroom, you have to climb up a small incline to get to the highway, and the Creta did that effortlessly; I did not even notice 0.1% strain.
  • It was a short test-drive, and the kind lady let both of us drive it in turns, very nice of her.
  • The Creta picks up speed effortlessly.
  • There is a very little bit of turbo lag, but it is almost indiscernible.
  • The steering does weigh up as you pick up speed. However, overall, it still remains on the softer/easy end. Coming from a Linea T-Jet (I know ), it is not in the same league, but it is not bad for a SUV.
  • As you drive, you do feel like you are driving a soft-roader SUV. I was reminded of driving a Honda CRV. The visibility is top-notch. Although I could not see the edge of the bonnet.
  • The torque is very well spread out, it almost feels you are driving an automatic. You don't have to shift too many gears. I did not go up to the 5th or 6th gears.
  • We took it off the road on the side where there were some small rocks, albeit at lower speeds, and it performed well.
  • However, when Deb was driving and he took it off the road to take a turn, there was a loud "thud" from the rear wheels, which he did not quite like. I think I will look ahead to the comprehensive team-bhp review on this one.
  • When I had to take a U-turn, it was effortless to turn. Buyers will really like this feature.

Final impressions
  • This is not a fun-to-drive car in a way a T-Jet or even a Swift is. It is not the car you drive for driving pleasure. But it is a car that is going to take the stress out of driving. It is very easy to drive. It might even get uninvolving after a while. It is one you take your wife and kids in.
  • Hyundai sure has a winner on its hands. It seems a bit higher priced, but then it is premium, inside-out.
  • I see a lot of buyers of 2nd hand cars like Fortuners/BMWs X3/Yeti's and the like would probably end up buying a new Creta instead.
  • Hyundai should have a model in the petrol (? SXO petrol) with the leather and 17" wheels.
  • And they should (and probably will) launch a AWD, but it will become an expensive affair.

Last edited by johy : 29th July 2015 at 09:52.
johy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 09:50   #1326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNM View Post

Amazing Looking 2016 Tucson. Wonder if it will make its way to India
Thanks for the pic. Love the alloy wheels. Is it available in India? I am sure it will look classy on Creta too given they share similar body AFAIK.
Old 29th July 2015, 10:18   #1327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Duster is ~ 1200 kgs so Creta seems to be real heavy.
Maybe the absence of Kerb and Gross weight specifications, the issue why there is problem in registering the Creta with RTOs ? Just came to my mind.
Renault Duster is in fact much heavier, and the kerb weight used in team bhp review is incorrect (1180/1205). IIRC those figures were of Dacia Dusters produced in early 2010's.
I just checked the records of my 85 ps (Old model) and its 1281 kg. It should be around 1310 kg for 110 ps (Old model) and close to 1380 kg for the AWD.

1500 kg for Creta 1.6 crdi sounds odd considering it performs as good as the Verna which is much lighter. Well it's possible that Hyundai has worked on the gear ratios compared to Verna. Probably RavenAvi will tell us the exact weight.

Last edited by xjosephjacob : 29th July 2015 at 10:24.
xjosephjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 10:33   #1328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
[*]It took me a while to locate the start-stop button. Being right-handed, I guess, I was looking for it on the right side of the steering wheel. It is tucked away just to the left instead. The start-stop button felt just like a Maruti Swift's.
Edit: Quoting myself, I am not 100% sure where the start-stop button is located, perhaps it is so much left, it felt left of the steering. Someone please confirm.

Also,
  • Given the size and perceived weight of the car, the brakes feel a bit lacking. Not too much, but just a wee bit. I think Hyundai should have equipped them with 4-disc brakes.
  • The 1.6 CRdi feels perfect, and I think the petrol is plenty equipped, though a lot less torquey, but I wonder if the 1.4 CRdi will feel underpowered.
  • Like someone who mentioned this, I looked for the air-intake and it may be located way below. I look forward to team-bhp's review on the air intake.

Last edited by johy : 29th July 2015 at 10:34.
Old 29th July 2015, 11:11   #1329
BHPian

In my opinion, those companies hiding the kerb weight of the vehicle have things to hide, mainly cost cutting. They are afraid that comparisons would be made against their international versions.

Not just Creata and Duster/Terrano, even the new Fiesta has not revealed its kerb weight.

For just this one reason, I think, I would not trust Hyundai on the Creta, and think it is a de-engineered product.

Last edited by civic-sense : 29th July 2015 at 11:35.
civic-sense is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 11:17   #1330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
In my opinion, those companies hiding the kerb weight of the vehicle has things to hide, mainly cost cutting. They are afraid that comparisons would be made against their international versions.
Since Hyundai is planning to export Creta, will they not have to divulge the kerb weight.

Or is it that Kerb Weight of the Indian version may be different from those exported and hence not told to Indian Public.

Maybe we are just jumping to conclusions but hiding facts does lead to a lot of speculation which is not good for the company.
nkghai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 11:51   #1331
Distinguished - BHPian

Report from Motorbeam: Creta Crosses 20,000 bookings. 25% for the AT Variant. Looks like the higher than expected price is not proving to be a concern.

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/07/car...ngs-25-diesel/

Quote:
Within 10 days of the teaser campaign, the Creta got a confirmed lot of 10,000 customers and 28,500 enquiries. Now that the Creta has launched, people are flocking into Hyundai showrooms to take a look at the SUV and the company has confirmed that it has now garnered as many as 20,000 bookings.

Of the 20,000 new bookings, it is interesting to note that 25 percent are for the automatic variant, while 30-35 percent bookings are for the 1.4 diesel powered Creta. Most of the enquiries are for the range topping variant. The only Creta automatic comes with the 1.6-litre diesel engine that produces 128 PS at 4000 RPM and 260 Nm between 1900-2750 RPM on the SX model. This shows that customers nowadays are looking for utmost comfort while driving in the ever increasing traffic of our cities.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 12:03   #1332
BNM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Report from Motorbeam: Creta Crosses 20,000 bookings. 25% for the AT Variant. Looks like the higher than expected price is not proving to be a concern.

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/07/car...ngs-25-diesel/
The same article further states "The 6-speed automatic transmission offered with the Creta is fully imported and hence no SX(O) variant as price would be 1 lakh higher. Due to supply constraints only the AT version is offered with split rear seats"

What does supply constraints have to do with split seats ? Aren't the seats made locally ?
Old 29th July 2015, 12:25   #1333
BHPian

Siddharth Vinayak Patankar of NDTV Auto compares the Creta and the Duster and rates Duster a tad bit higher!
http://auto.ndtv.com/reviews/hyundai...chmark-1201657
mr.kaybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 12:33   #1334
BHPian

Review from Top Gear India

Quote:
Let's get to the main question: do the Renault Duster and Nissan Terrano have anything to worry about? The answer is yes. Lots. Not only is the Hyundai in the same price bracket, it brings along everything the Duster and Terrano have to offer, and then some.
http://www.topgear.com/india/hyundai...reta/itemid-51
Shakensoul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 12:46   #1335

Does anyone have knowledge of the kerb weight of the new Hyundai Creta? The brochures and the online community is silent on this aspect.
rohytkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks