Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2015, 15:55   #661
BHPian

Last time i heard the AT cost 11.96. That is like 13L otr. Now with these pricing hyundai is hammering its own foot. This is almost 1.5-2 L above expectations 😑
Old 19th July 2015, 16:01   #662
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Preview: Hyundai Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenKD View Post
Ravenavi, Can you confirm if the Wheel housing as plastic trim cover?.
Please go through this spy video of Vamsi Naik posted by vivekh15 here to have an exact idea of the wheel-well casings and claddings provided in the Creta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
Please do a search before you post an oft-repeated point. This topic has been done to death in the past 10-odd pages of this thread (with multiple postings), including a detailed response by me 3 pages back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan3686 View Post
Now with these pricing hyundai is hammering its own foot. This is almost 1.5-2 L above expectations
Read this post of mine, ethan3686 - LINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekh15 View Post
Is this the 8th colour in the line up? The video title too says 'Carnelian Red' instead of Passion Red.
The video uploader mistakenly put "Carnelian Red" in his/her description (they might be thinking of Honda cars when they were updating). It is the Red Passion shade found on the Elite i20 & the Verna 4S.

One more official banner from Hyundai India's Twitter page:

Preview: Hyundai Creta-ckrlyftusaauxgs.jpg

And the official invitation to one and all for the 21st July launch, from 12 PM onwards:

Last edited by RavenAvi : 19th July 2015 at 16:04.
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 16:47   #663
BHPian

For all those still not beliving the prices posted by RavenAvi and relying on ACI prices (which themselves keep changing on a daily basis as temperature does), here is my two bit on why we can expect Creta to be priced on sub Verna levels:

Following are the features omitted by HMIL to keep prices down as compared to VERNA
electrochromatic mirror
automatic headlight control
sliding central armrest
ticket holder
ergo lever
rain sensing wipers
telescopic steering control
glove box cooling
(Source : Company Brochure)

and the following features left out as compated to I20
automatic headlamp control
electrochromatic mirror
steering position reminder
service reminder
60:40 split rear seat
telescopic steering control
glove box cooling
(Source : Company Brochure)

Also for the view that since the AT is the same as sourced from Elantra, thus Creta should lie between Verna & Creta, a six speed AT is the need of the hour and HMIL is smart enough not to make the same mistake as it did in 4S Verna by not upgrading to a 6 speed AT and will like to offer the latest to the market. Just imagine the customers who left out 4S Verna because it lacked the following three things

1. A six speed AT
2. Rear AC Vents
3. Touchscreen AVN

Last edited by sids1811 : 19th July 2015 at 16:59. Reason: spelling mistakes
sids1811 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 20:05   #664
BHPian

I saw this car yesterday in Bangalore! I hadn't known about the Creta then. I tried to see what model it was but it was driving in the opposite direction so that was that.
It looks much better in real life than in the (generated?) pics in the OP.
It looks beefy enough for an SUV - a bit like the Nissan Terrano.
dozer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 20:36   #665
Distinguished - BHPian

Was going through the office Brochure on the Hyundai site. A relative was contemplating buying the Creta AT. Since it is available only in SX+, was trying to compare feature by feature what all is missing in the SX+ vs SX(O). Below is the list of features missing in SX+ (Which means only available in the SX(O))
  • Safety
    • Side and Curtain Airbags (Was well known already)
    • ESC-Electronic Stability Control
    • Vehicle Stability Management
    • Hill Assist Control
    • Height Adjustable front Seatbelts (Really Hyundai!!)
    • Lane Change Flash Adjustment
    • Speed Sensing Auto door Lock (Again, Really!!)
  • Exterior
    • Diamond Cut Alloys
  • Interior
    • Leather Pack on Center Armrest and Door Armrest
  • Instrument Panel
    • Supervision Cluster
    • IC Light Adjustment

As an AT buyer biggest disappointment would be the missing safety features. Especially Hill Assist and ESC.

Edit: Only the SX+ AT gets 60:40 Rear Split seats. Could not understand the reason/logic behind that.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 19th July 2015 at 20:50.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 21:32   #666
Distinguished - BHPian

Completed my final test drive today, earlier in the afternoon.

Needless to say, I am impressed with the Creta and am going through the buying process right now.

The reason I didn't post anything from my earlier 2 test drives because they were relatively short and were restricted to inside the dealership premises. Today, I was allowed to take her out on the road for a short jaunt and that helped me test it's riding manners, handling and braking.

Here are my overall impressions:

- At first glance, this compact SUV has the quality to overwhelm you by it's looks and size, more so when it's in that fantastic White shade.

- The best color shade for the Creta is undoubtedly White, followed by Red, Black, Stardust, Silver, Beige, in that order. Mystic Blue somehow doesn't suit the Creta's contours and demeanour.

- The overhangs in front and back are really short. This, coupled with protruding tail lamps and head lamps, will make one wary of city traffic on all sides, specially rash bikers.

- The roof rails look tacky on an otherwise excellent looking side profile.

- The micro antenna actually suits the Creta more than the shark-fin one, which looks completely out of place.

- The roof has ribs for added rigidity.

- Trapezoidal foglamps look unique and are also quite effective.

- The low beam from the halogens is quite dim at night. It begs for better bulbs, if you are driving frequently on the highways.

- Side indicators protrude a bit from the ORVMs. Be careful of vehicles larger than/similar to the Creta's height when they come too close. Seems to be safe from bikers, hatches & sedans, IMO.

- The wheels fill up the wells quite nicely. 17-inch rims should have been standard on all variants.

- The 17-inch diamond-cut alloys are absolutely smokin' hot! The 16-inch, 10-spoke clear silver ones simply can't hold a candle to them, or to any other chunky ones for that matter. The ones on the Zest & the Linea are the ones to match, IMO.

- Side black cladding looks the best on lighter colours such as White, Silver & Beige. Don't look all that prominent on Red, Blue & Stardust.

- Front underside cladding feels very plasticky to the touch. Back one seems firmer.

- The chrome bar on top of the rear numberplate housing looks very, very loud and garish! I expect a lot of future owners to either get this painted, or removed completely. Of course, it's a delight for chrome lovers!

- Boot loading level is a bit high. Thankfully the Creta's boot door swings way up and liberates a lot of width to throw in the suitcases.

- Two reverse sensors sit flush on the rear bumper. Not an ideal location, IMO, and are prone to damage from rear-ends by other drivers.

- Interiors of the SX(O) are very much a level above the rest of all variants. For this reason only, I expect the SX(O) to be priced at quite a premium over all other variants (expecting at least 1-1.25 lakhs over the nearest SX+ manual variant).

- The seat compound is firm and bolstered, and will hug your medium-built figure nicely. Anyone more well-fed (read 80 kgs and above), and you might find the seats a tad smaller for your liking.

- Overall ambience from the front seats is quite wide, roomy and spacious. The view from the front passenger's seat is excellent. All-round visibility is superb.

- If you are a 6'0" like me and use the seat-height adjuster judiciously, you can easily see the two edges of the bonnet from the driver's seat. Someone with a lower height (say 5'4" or lower) might find this problematic, specially if going for a lower variant without this extremely useful feature.

- All controls are within reach and fall to hand easily. The sheer number of buttons all around (on the steering wheel, on the central console) can get a tad confusing and overwhelming (specially on the S & SX variants). Thankfully the 7-inch touchscreen HU (of the S+, SX+ & SX(O)) doesn't have too many buttons.

- Sound clarity from the system is extremely good. Bass sounds softly punchy and treble levels are good, just perfect for my tastes. A rare Hyundai which has a good sound system inside it. I tested the sound on the SX(O) & the SX+, so can't comment about the other variants.

- The reverse camera's display is quite sharp, and the adaptive guidelines + sensors make parking a breeze. No need to be apprehensive while turning when reversing now.

- Gear slotting is sure and precise. There is a slight rubbery effect felt though. The Volkswagens remain the best in class in this regard.

- The first gear is excellent on the petrol. You can rev quite high on it and the engine doesn't feel strained. The pull comes from the second gear and it's quite addictive and free-revving too. For the diesel, there is some turbo lag in the lower two gears, and the engine only comes into it's own by the 3rd gear while the RPM nears the 2,000-mark. There is a nice "whoosh" effect in the diesel, too!

- Riding comfort is absolutely top-notch. Small undulations and holes are dismissed without a fuss.

- The steering, although feeling heavier in the diesel, still lacks that exact feel of where the wheels are. Not sure why all Hyundais have this inherent problem. Anyone who has driven the Honda City diesel in slower, city-ish speeds will know exactly what I am talking about. The steering weighs up a bit on higher speeds, but it's no Fiat or Maruti in it's precision. Ford's units, quite simply put, are in a different league altogether (except the EcoSport).

- Braking is top-notch as well, specially in a straight line. The bite is a bit softer than my City's.

- Body roll is well controlled, specially in city conditions. Not sure about this on the highways.

- You can feel the suspension working through it's paces when you hit a rough patch on the road. The lane leading from the main bazaar to the dealership was very uneven, but I am glad to report that the Creta handled herself quite well. Mind you, I was at 30-35 kmph speeds, so can't comment on how she would behave at higher speeds than this.

- The gripping of the tyres on the SX+ seemed inadequate specially when turning, while the SX(O) stuck quite firmly to the road. Maybe it was a drawback of having Goodyear Assurances on the SX+. The 17-inch Bridgestones of the SX(O) are an absolute must for this car.

- The petrol is very silent, even from the outside. The diesel has a soft and continuous thrum like a throbbing heartbeat, which can be felt if you pay close attention to the ABC pedals. Of course I am nitpicking here. Overall NVH levels are best in class.

- Seating inside the Creta is spacious for 4 people. A 5th fully-fed passenger in the rear seat could be unwelcome, even though he gets a separate head rest. I would say the Creta is a strict 4+1 seater, instead of a full 5-seater.

- The boot is very wide and large, although not too deep. It has enough space to tuck in 4 medium-sized suitcases, with enough space left for 2-3 bags on the sides.

Overall, as a package, the Creta makes a big case for itself when pitted against the likes of the EcoSport, the Duster & the Terrano. It is no match for the Scorpio, which I feel is in a segment above than the Creta. In-cabin space, refinement levels, features list, and the premium feel-good factor - you get all these with the Creta.

I am happy to report that I am satisfied with my choice, and I hope she validates my choice with a fuss-free ownership in the future.

Preview: Hyundai Creta-11695033_761204760657365_8032940914663733403_n.jpg

Preview: Hyundai Creta-11745693_761204840657357_4916790794899178442_n.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 19th July 2015 at 21:45.
RavenAvi is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 21:53   #667
BNM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

- The 17-inch diamond-cut alloys are absolutely smokin' hot! The 16-inch, 10-spoke clear silver ones simply can't hold a candle to them, or to any other chunky ones for that matter.

- The gripping of the tyres on the SX+ seemed inadequate specially when turning, while the SX(O) stuck quite firmly to the road. Maybe it was a drawback of having Goodyear Assurances on the SX+. The 17-inch Bridgestones of the SX(O) are an absolute must for this sides.
Thanks again for the detailed review RavenAvi . I had kind of made up my mind to change the alloys and the tyres and did some research. Getting 17" tyres like Michelin P3/Yokohoma/Pirelli will offset you by 62.5 K for 5 tyres (@12.5K approx per tyre for 215/55 R17 or 225/50 R17) and will fetch a meager 3K/tyre on exchanging the stock tyre (Goodyear). Any decent make 17 inch alloys will cost around 40K for a set of 4 rims (assuming you can source a 5th 17"steel rim). Also expect around 10K in exchange for all 4 OEM alloys). This whole exercise of getting 17" inch wheels and better tyres on the lower variants will cost around 75k approx(after exchange for OEM tyres and alloys)

Last edited by BNM : 19th July 2015 at 22:02.
BNM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 22:12   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veerarajus View Post
I have booked SX(O). Yesterday I have received mail from trident on road approximate price as 17L. If this is the final price then I ll cancel my booking.
I dont see Hyundai pricing Creta so high. Over the years, we have seen Hyundai price their models quite sensibly and Creta should be No exception. To start with, Hyundai's pocket guide for dealers clearly compare Creta with EcoSport and Duster so it will be a big surprise if Hyundai was to do this comparison but price Creta equivalent to XUV 500.

In a recent interview to Financial Express, Rakesh Srivastava, senior vice-president, Sales & Marketing, Hyundai Motor India, mentioned that Creta will appeal to small SUVs, seven seater SUVs and sedan segment as well.

This will happen only if Creta is priced aggressively.
damager21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 22:20   #669
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Creta : Official Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
As an AT buyer biggest disappointment would be the missing safety features. Especially Hill Assist and Esc.

@rajeevraj. Hill assist is actually not required on this torque converter 6 speed box. For sure this won't roll back like a dual clutch auto(VW DSG). So this is something I won't miss on this auto. Agree that the rest of the safety features are totally missing. I would rather keep the family safe with the manual SX(O) than have the the luxury of the auto. Frustratii.

Last edited by ampere : 19th July 2015 at 22:35. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 22:36   #670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post

@rajeevraj. Hill assist is actually not required on this torque converter 6 speed box. For sure this won't roll back like a dual clutch auto(VW DSG). So this is something I won't miss on this auto. Agree that the rest of the safety features are totally missing.
I would rather keep the family safe with the manual SX(O) than have the the luxury of the auto. Frustratii.
Thanks. Good point. I had my dsg in mind which has hill assist and I find it extremely useful.

Still, it would have been good if they had given it on the AT also.
Old 19th July 2015, 23:11   #671
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

- The petrol is very silent, even from the outside. The diesel has a soft and continuous thrum like a throbbing heartbeat, which can be felt if you pay close attention to the ABC pedals. Of course I am nitpicking here. Overall NVH levels are best in class.

- The first gear is excellent on the petrol. You can rev quite high on it and the engine doesn't feel strained. The pull comes from the second gear and it's quite addictive and free-revving too.

I am happy to report that I am satisfied with my choice, and I hope she validates my choice with a fuss-free ownership in the future.
Thanks for such a great feedback you have been giving us all. I'm interested only in petrol variant and might as well wait for 6 months if they're planning to launch a SX(O) . How's the overall feel of the petrol motor compared to diesel one? Is it worth putting in 10L plus for petrol Creta?
Wishing you all the best and happy miles ahead.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 00:42   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Completed my final test drive today, earlier in the afternoon.
Great inputs as always RavenAvi. Thanks for comparing the diesel and petrol engines - was exactly what I was looking for.

If you were to recommend a motor, with price not being an issue, what would you suggest? I have been a petrol driver since I began driving 15 years ago, and my requirements don't really merit a diesel engine, but for some reason I feel the torquey diesel will do more justice to the bigger car that the Creta is. Also, diesel cars because of the turbo, seem at times more exciting a drive.

So far, I am tilting towards the diesel - mainly because of the SX(O) option, any inputs from your end?
vivekh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 00:48   #673

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
I dont see Hyundai pricing Creta so high. Over the years, we have seen Hyundai price their models quite sensibly and Creta should be No exception.
I will not call pricing i20 Top end diesel model @9.5 Lacs and Santa Fe @34 Lacs, sensible by any standard. Specially Santa Fe. It is a very capable vehicle but Hyundai is charging a premium of atleast 3-4 Lacs for this vehicle. Had it been priced sensibly, if not killed, it would definitively have given Fortuner a run for it's money (which is overpriced by a hefty premium itself).
Old 20th July 2015, 00:59   #674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNM View Post
This whole exercise of getting 17" inch wheels and better tyres on the lower variants will cost around 75k approx(after exchange for OEM tyres and alloys)
Better to stick with the stock rims and go for bigger, better tyres instead. Much cheaper option and will get you better rubber as well.

I have an idea for the whole setup. Details in my ownership report if I get that done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
How's the overall feel of the petrol motor compared to diesel one? Is it worth putting in 10L plus for petrol Creta?
Thanks.

Couldn't take them out to the highway so can't comment on that aspect, but the urban tractability of the petrol is simply outstanding. The Verna's petrol is a great unit and this shows on the Creta. It's very smooth, ultra-refined and pulls very eagerly. The steering is a bit light, but I have been driving the last two generations of the Honda City so it suits me just fine.

I just hope that Hyundai has given good reins to their compact SUV when it screams it's way across the highways because I am sure, in a race between the petrol and the diesel versions, the petrol would be nudging the diesel's rear bumper all the way, even if it might not overtake it at some point.

Yep, it's worth the moolah if it's around 11-11.5 lakhs OTR. Compared to the City VX's pricing, it would be a steal, sunroof aside.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 20th July 2015 at 01:01.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 01:55   #675
BHPian

I feel that the color spread provided by Hyundai doesn't do justice to the car.
I for one, was hoping for brighter shades. Apart from the Red, none of the shades are a stand out.

1. The brown from the i20 Active could have been carried over to the Creta.
2. A dark or bright blue was a must. The Mystic blue is too greyish and close to the Stardust color already present.
3. The purple shade that was available in the fluidic Verna could have been carried over to the Creta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
"Crocodile crocodile which color do you want". Some of us would have played this game when we were kids . I love the proper mix of colors which Hyundai has offered which unfortunately few other manufacturers tend to miss on cost cutting grounds
Closed Thread

Most Viewed