Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2015, 13:41   #811
RSR
Senior - BHPian

re: Preview: Hyundai Creta

My expectations were perhaps floating way above the clouds. They came crashing back to Earth faster than the speed of light when Mr. Rakesh Shrivastava announced the prices on stage.

Renault, Nissan, perhaps even Ford (and maybe Mahindra too) would be able to breathe easy now. Maruti Suzuki would be heaving a sigh of relief, now that they would be able to price the S-Cross (especially the 1.6 variants) quite realistically.

Anyway, I hope at least now Hyundai are able to realise their sheer folly in not providing the L and S variants with even a single airbag.

Listen, Hyundai! The L and S variants of the 1.6 Gamma and 1.4 CRDi would immediately turn into good value-for-money if you equip them with a driver airbag. I know ABS is standard (which is good) and that the L and S variants come with decent levels of equipment, but they sorely lack a driver airbag.

This is a glaring omission at that price. I don't know which fool at Hyundai decided to leave out airbags from both the L and S variants.

Make the correction immediately! You may raise the price by a few thousand rupees for the driver airbag but make the inclusion as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I'm sorry guys for my earlier price post. I think the dealer wanted to get more bookings with a rider of cancellation charges of 10K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
I am very, very disappointed by this outcome in the end.

The pricing is almost a lakh over, variant-to-variant, than what I had thought of.
Don't worry too much, BoneCollector and RavenAvi!

It can happen to anyone. It's not your fault, my friends. You just passed on the information that your respective sources had given you. So relax!

If it is of any consolation, Autocar India's prices are also off the mark, even the list they so confidently claimed to be the ex-showroom prices. It's higher by a pretty large amount when compared to the final prices.

Quote:
I am right in the middle of finalising the process, and now I don't know whether to proceed or back out. I have asked the dealership for a few moments to ponder over everything, and have come back, bitterly disappointed!
I can fully understand your disappointment, RavenAvi.

My suggestion - do not let the excitement and expectations generated by the earlier leaked prices affect your decision on the purchase.

Think over it carefully by all means, but after completely forgetting the pricing information that your source gave you earlier.

If necessary, tell them you'll decide tomorrow. Forget all the previous excitement, have a good night's sleep, take a fresh look at the Creta tomorrow and then make a decision. Wish you good luck!

Last edited by RSR : 21st July 2015 at 13:47.
RSR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 13:45   #812
BHPian

I had been to Hyundai Dealer a while back to pre-book the Creta with my check book in hand. They didn't have any vehicle with them at that time so couldn't see it. Was lamenting about Hyundai not launching the SX(O) AT with the Sales Personnel. Had a discussion about the expected prices and I told him I was expecting around 12 Lacs (as had been posted here and the Hyundai VP had also said in an interview) and he told me point blank to expect upwards of 13 Lacs. That changed things for me and when he requested me to pre-book the vehicle with a payment of 51K, I asked him about the Cancellation Charges and he very flatly told me that they will deduct 3K if I cancel. I told him I will wait till S-Cross prices are announced and will then take a long and hard look. After seeing the reaction here and Hyundai shouting from the rooftops about the 10K bookings, was very anxious about the long waiting lists but don't think it will matter now. In hindsight I was correct to defer pre-booking Creta as otherwise would have lost 3K for no fault of mine.

Hyundai has scored a self-goal with these prices and left the field open for Maruti. Now everyone is waiting for Maruti's Next Move as they can capture the market if they want. The conditions are just right for them. It helps that Maruti has never had a success in the 10L+ Segment (barring the moderate success of the recently launched Ciaz) and they have the hunger to crack this segment. Hopefully they have a blockbuster in the S-Cross and don't do a Sequel of the Creta Prices.

Quote:
Sorry, team. Wish I could post a bigger apology to all of you.
Why are you apologizing ? What have you done. The pricing is set by Hyundai and since they have over priced it, hopefully the public will make them ask for apology. Just think with a cool head about your booking and Do the Right Thing. All the Best.

Last edited by Turbo_Charger : 21st July 2015 at 14:01. Reason: typo
Turbo_Charger is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 13:45   #813
BHPian

Quote:
I am very, very disappointed by this outcome in the end.

I am right in the middle of finalising the process, and now I don't know whether to proceed or back out. I have asked the dealership for a few moments to ponder over everything, and have come back, bitterly disappointed!
IMO, back out for now. Unless you really really need it. Wait and watch. 17L is not a small amount. This is a big decision. Take some time to think. Good luck.

As for me, I've decided to wait. My hunt still continues. I was hoping for 14-14.5 OTR in Bangalore for SXO. My dealer has roughly given me a 17.2L OTR for SXO.

Last edited by sngautam : 21st July 2015 at 13:55. Reason: corrected grammar
sngautam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 13:45   #814
BHPian

Looks like Hyundai were aiming really high! Here's Scorpio's Delhi Ex showroom prices for top three variants:

S8: 11,83,831
S10: 12,48,714
S10 4WD: 13,61,976

And just for reference:
S4 4WD: 10,98,421
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 13:46   #815
BHPian

Looking at the prices of Honda Jazz & Hyundai Creta think I would miss out on Maruti Scross as Maruti will have a huge margin to play now :(

In case I had the money I would have gone for Mahindra XUV eyes closed rather than Hyundai Creta. (Personal Opinion no offense to anyone)
Old 21st July 2015, 13:48   #816
BHPian

If I was in the market for this segment today, I'll definitely pick the Duster over Creta.
Hyundai's trademark nervous ride quality as compared to the fantastic and proven ride quality of Duster and that proven engine of Renault is enough to drag me away from Hyundai.

Call me a Hyundai basher but I have never liked their cars. I would like it if I was 12 and a non petrolhead as those fancy features, good looks and gadgetry would have won me over.

I will still recommend a Hyundai to my dad, brother and all those people whose primary requirements of a car is to commute from A to B place, segment depending on their financial worth but I can never imagine owning and driving a Hyundai as a car which is exclusively for me to commute.
Sherlocked is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 13:50   #817

Excellent Pre-launch marketing... However Creta pricing is so disappointing!.

I am sure competitors are at peace and Hyundai is hoping i20 Elite magic works here also...!
Old 21st July 2015, 13:52   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelator View Post
True..but I hope you have factored the premium feel of the Creta in comparison to the, at best, passable design of the Duster. For the beauty and comfort conscious, it is the Creta. IMHO it still is damn expensive
For the modern design yes but duster is ahead in terms of ride comfort, especially the AWD.
Old 21st July 2015, 13:53   #819
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I have not seen or driven the Creta yet. But going by the posts around the web, I believe its a pretty worthy car. The prices, I agree, are a little more than what we all had expected but if the car is good (read better than Duster/Terrano/EcoSport) and has all the bells and whistles, it is ok if it commands a little premium over the competitors.

As GTO mentioned, Duster is in itself an expensive car but then the price difference between the Duster and the Creta is well justified given the feature list, the more upmarket interiors and Hyundai after sales service.

If you do not consider the Creta, which other alternative (direct rival) would come close that would beat the Creta?

Last edited by //M : 21st July 2015 at 13:55.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 13:54   #820
Senior - BHPian

Ford would be happy now that they dont have to sweat to sweeten the EcoSport pricing. Maruti on other hand would get a good field for pricing it in the wide i20 Active - Ecosport - Duster - Creta pricing.

I hope Maruti wont go bonkers while pricing the 1.6 SCross
Old 21st July 2015, 13:55   #821
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry, team. Wish I could post a bigger apology to all of you.

All through last night and today morning I kept praying feverishly that sanity would prevail with Hyundai's top management and the Creta will be priced sensibly against it's direct segment opponents. Knowing fully well what the limitations of it's product was, Hyundai India would be gunning for killer pricing and match the overpriced Duster variant-to-variant, leaving the AWD variants aside. My expectation was 8 lakhs to 12.75 lakhs, seeing that the Duster 110 PS RxZ(O) is priced at 12.48 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi.

But this is plain atrocious, and downright ridiculous pricing by Hyundai!

We have been constantly highlighting how Honda shot themselves in the foot by overpricing the Jazz diesels, but now what can we call this fiasco? Hyundai have blown their feet off with a double-barreled shotgun!!

All other segment offerings in their overpriced avatars, now suddenly look like VFM deals. For as ancient as the Duster feels, it's road manners, riding comfort and rear bench space are absolutely class leading. The Creta can't match it, no chance. Forget the Duster, now full-blown 7-seater SUVs like the Scorpio, Storme & XUV 500 are a steal at their pricing points!

Thank you for believing in me. Wish all things had a happy ending in the end. But, as it happens so often in real life, it all becomes a bitter pill to swallow.
RavenAvi is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 13:56   #822
BHPian

Wow, what a disaster !

If I had known that this Creta would be sold at these prices (16.5L for AT), I would have booked one ! Yup, no typo there. Read on to know why.

I was actually looking a premium compact SUV. Duster and Ecosport have too much of a mass market image, and I was happy to pay more, but not have a mass market product. A Creta would have filled the gap for someone like me, who did not wish to deal with a Tata or a Mahindra but give me premium, compact SUV that I have peace of mind to use for 5 years.

But Hyundai ruined it !

They tested Creta with Ecosport and Duster, suggesting that this was what they were taking on. This led to speculation on pricing, with some insane numbers been thrown around. Before one knew, there were 15,000 bookings on speculation. And Creta became a cheap (VFM, if you don't like 'cheap') mass market product.

Now they they this curveball. Wow !

If you wanted a customer with my requirements, you should have made it clear this is premium, not competing with Ecosport et al. If you wanted 15,000 bookings translating into sales, you should have priced it sensibly.

No one is happy with this pricing. Including those like me who can see the value and would like it to be considered premium, but will forever be consigned to compare it to a Duster or Ecosport.
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 13:58   #823
BHPian

Very disappointed with the prices. Atleast a lakh more than what I was expecting.

The biggest disappointment of this pricing is that there wont be any corrections in Ecosport or Duster pricing. I am afraid even the discounts on Duster may disappear.

Secondly I really feel that Maruti will price the extended Hatchback- S Cross around 50k - 1 lakh more than the Ciaz. Hope this doesn't become true.
arsenal.arun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 14:00   #824
BHPian

Disappointed with the pricing strategy. This will sell, but not like Duster or XUV used to, in their heydays. All of a sudden, Duster (with Discounts) looks VFM and XUV a steal.

Preview: Hyundai Creta-xuvdustercreta.jpg

Agreed Creta offers good interiors and is refined; so is XUV. To me, those nice interiors isn't worth 1.5 lacs premium (approx. difference in OTR prices) over Duster that's a much more capable car on and off road (an informed guess), no matter how old the platform is.

Last edited by xjosephjacob : 21st July 2015 at 14:02.
xjosephjacob is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 14:03   #825
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Top end diesel to top end diesel, the Creta costs a lakh more than the Duster. I think it's totally worth it.
I agree! Even at the time of preview, i told you to expect prices close to XUV w8. AWD Capability apart, Creta is every penny worth the extra price over the Duster, here is why-

1. The 1.6 Diesel engine is way superior than the 8v K9K unit on Duster.
2. It comes loaded with all the Safety equipment, including Curtain Airbags and ESP.
3. It is a Hyundai, the vast service network and proven reliability and resale associated with the brand.
4. It feels premium inside out, the feel good factor is unmatched. Duster is not even close, it feels utilitarian in comparison.
5. Availability of 6 speed Automatic(even though in a lower trim).
.anshuman is offline   (15) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed