Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2015, 21:21   #976
Senior - BHPian

re: Preview: Hyundai Creta

I have posted many positive things about the Creta on this forum and its only today that i actually got to see the car in person.
Its really well finished inside and i am happy to have supported this car inspite of the price bashing it has received. The doors close with a thud like VW and that is commendable. The attention the car received at the launch in the showroom was mind boggling to say the least.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 21:29   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I have posted many positive things about the Creta on this forum and its only today that i actually got to see the car in person.
Its really well finished inside and i am happy to have supported this car inspite of the price bashing it has received. The doors close with a thud like VW and that is commendable. The attention the car received at the launch in the showroom was mind boggling to say the least.
That's good to hear, looking forward to more feedbacks as people give more TD reports over the couple days. I for one will be visiting Mathura Road Dealer tomorrow. Which one did u visit today in Delhi and how was the rush?
Old 21st July 2015, 21:30   #978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Here's the TVC of the Creta!

What a pathetic TVC! As if rash driving that we see on a daily basis on our roads are not enough these idiots are instigating people to get even more mad��

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd July 2015 at 10:03. Reason: Quoting a video hampers readability for our mobile users.
Old 21st July 2015, 21:31   #979
BHPian

Ecosport has all the bells and whistles but not the size. Duster has got the size but no style and the Creta has got it all but no VFM. What a mess!
ABbaby is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 21:32   #980
Senior - BHPian

Seeing the price, I guess I can rejoice in having bought the Yeti 4x4 top spec at odd ~17L on road 3 yrs ago. The only missing bit would be the maps.

* Creta is 48mm or so longer, but less wider (-7mm) and less taller (-60mm) than the Yeti. No surprise, the creta looks butch and SUV like.

* 1.6L Diesel - 126bhp@4000, 265Nm@1900 against 2.0 L Diesel 138bhp@4200, 320Nm@1750. The 1.6L D heart of the Creta seems to be stonker of an engine with such an impressive output (at least on paper). With better power to weight ratio compared to Yeti (~1543 kgs), I am sure it is going to be very drivable and efficient. By the way, what is the kerb weight of the Creta SX(o) diesel?

Last edited by iTNerd : 21st July 2015 at 21:33.
Old 21st July 2015, 21:44   #981
Distinguished - BHPian

My 2 cents on the pricing discussions.

I think we spend way too much time discussing on prices. Not only here for the Creta, but even for the Jazz, Aspire, S Cross to name a few.

While I agree pricing is important, I think more often than not, we expect mouth watering prices and then get disappointed. In addition good/bad pricing is mostly relative. When the i20 launched, it was considered pricey, now the Jazz slots above it and suddenly i20 is VFM. Similarly Duster was considered overpriced, with Creta launched, there is a talk of Duster being VFM and so on.

Once we get into the C Segment and above, I feel customers don't mind paying extra if it meets specific criteria they are looking for. Case in point is the Honda City, most of the higher variants are priced above most of the competition. In some cases, the City is way more expensive. But it is still a best seller.

I believe the Creta is good enough to command the premium over the competition (based on the info available so far) and hence it will sell. May not see crazy numbers or long waiting periods.

Personally, as I have mentioned, the SX+ AT is under consideration for a close relative. At ~14 OTR (Kerala) I would have considered it a no brainer and gone for it. At the current price ~16L- It is not out of contention, but depends on the detailed TD reports.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 21:51   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
This will be an interesting perspective:

XUV500 w8 pluses over Creta Sx(o)[*]8 way power adjustable seats

All this at just about 70K more!
I don't think the W8 has power adjustable seats - it's only in the W10 & that too 6-way power adjustable.
But I completely agree with you - at 70k more, XUV500 is much more car & VFM than the Creta is. Another thing that will be interesting to see is how the Creta rides & handles - I drove the new XUV500 and while the front suspension was well sorted - the rear one's still had a very bumpy ride quality and we could feel even minor road undulations filter through (I sat in the middle row for a while). Also, I feel that in the urban landscape, families would prefer the Creta over a full-sized SUV as it would be easier to navigate in heavy traffic and good GC + 1.6D engine would help tackle the weekend sojourns.

As-far-as ThePerfectSUV tag goes I think the Creta is SX(O)+AT short and Rs. 1 lakh long from it. Sigh! a wasted opportunity
Old 21st July 2015, 21:54   #983
Distinguished - BHPian

For all those claiming that the hype of initial "low" pricing has caused this outcry, let me point out a few facts:
1) The Creta (and the ix25) are based on the i20 platform, wheelbases being the same. Hence it is called ix25 in the first place.
2) When it landed on Indian shores for the first time, all initial spottings during testing phases was with the EcoSport and the Duster. What were Hyundai trying to show the world back then?
3) Most of the time the Creta was spotted during it's testing rounds, it was accompanied by the Ecosport. Now, the Duster's range started from the mid-variant of the EcoSport as well, suggesting the target where the Creta might land on when launched.
4) Rakesh Shrivastava's interview on NDTV Auto where he quite clearly announced that the pricing will be solely in the 8 lac - 12 lac bracket, because that's where most of the direct competition of the Creta lies.
5) The official Hyundai email bulletin which I saw with my own eyes, which showed the ex-factory price of the Creta Base petrol as 6,58,000. Add VAT and other stuff to it, and you get a pricing point of around 8 lacs ex-showroom.
6) I wasn't alone in seeing this pricing - others on Facebook and BoneCollector on our T-BHP forums reported the same thing regarding pricing.
7) All those who have seen the car from up close will agree with me when I say this - it simply doesn't command a 17 lakh pricing, no matter how high the quality is. Hyundai has typically been offering the same high quality in other offerings at a competitive price in their respective segments (Grand i10, Elite i20, Etc.)
8) Now, the price of the SX+ Petrol is ~13 lakhs OTR. For that kind of money, I add a measly 10,000 more to get the XUV 500's W4 variant! Diesel, 7-seater, acres of space all around, humongous boot if 3rd seat is folded, newly launched, 140 PS power, 330 Nm of torque on offer, dual airbags. Only stuff I would be missing is the 7" AVN, steering-mounted buttons and more premium plastics and interiors.

Mechanically and reliability aside, how can the Hyundai SX+ petrol now justify it's glaring pricing similarity with the XUV diesel variant? We are talking about a full blown 3-box proper SUV with a monochrome design, much bigger engine, more torque, more power, robust mechanicals, tried and tested offering over the years.

For comparison, the Honda City VX(O) petrol costs 12.30 lakhs OTR (including extended warranty, zero-dep insurance etc.) and has all that the Creta offers, and then some more. Only difference between the City and the Creta being engine size specs (1.5 vs 1.6) and related power/torque figures with minor differences.

No way can the prices of the Creta be justified, any which way you look at it. This is pure greed of the Hyundai top management coming to the fore, plain and simple. They have their booking numbers, and now if even 50% of those turn into purchases, they have a winner and a cash-cow. Rest 50% will also contribute to their coffers, with that Rs. 3,000-per cancellation clause. Win-win on both sides.

The Creta is an excellent product for what it offers in it's segment. The problem is what Hyundai management did with the car - created a second Fiesta. In the days to come, we will have a clearer picture of how good the car buyer is really informed.

My dealership has already seen shifting of some Creta bookings. Some shifted to Elantra, others went back to Verna. As for me, I have put the whole process on hold so that I can take a more complete view of the situation in a few days' time. I love the Creta, but my practical mind is not allowing me to go ahead right now, no matter how much I try to convince myself.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 21st July 2015 at 21:58.
RavenAvi is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 22:15   #984
Senior - BHPian

I think a few facts stand out -

1> Hyundai has definitely priced it very very optimistically. There are 2 reasons for this - huge buzz before the launch and large number or pre-launch bookings. Secondly, they do not have any real competition. Renault/Nissan is hardly an established brand in India and there are several people who won't think of buying a car from Renault/Nissan. So, unless someone like a Maruti/Honda/Toyota launches a car in this segment, Hyundai kind of has a first-mover advantage.

2> The compact SUV segment is here to stay... Indians love SUVs even if they are never going to test any real offroading capabilities of the 'SUV'. But, this segment is yet to mature as most of the leading manufacturers are yet to offer a product in this segment. So, the compact 'SUV' segment will continue to command a premium in the near future.

PS - Considering the discounts available on Duster/Terrana, the OTR price difference will be substantial
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 22:16   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
For all those claiming that the hype of initial "low" pricing has caused this outcry, let me point out a few facts .
Your intent to share all that you honestly believed is unquestionable. Your insights have been invaluable. I too believe that all along the signals given out by Hyundai were different from what they announced. What a pity. I was looking forward to a smart buy!
ABbaby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 22:20   #986
BHPian

Wow !

Prices were announced on Page 50 of this thread, just after 12 noon today ... and so far we are at Page 66.

Is this a record for a price announcement discussion on the forum in less than 12 hours ?

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
FourWheelDrift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 22:24   #987
BHPian

Quote:
The Creta is an excellent product for what it offers in it's segment. The problem is what Hyundai management did with the car - created a second Fiesta. In the days to come, we will have a clearer picture of how good the car buyer is really informed.

My dealership has already seen shifting of some Creta bookings. Some shifted to Elantra, others went back to Verna. As for me, I have put the whole process on hold so that I can take a more complete view of the situation in a few days' time. I love the Creta, but my practical mind is not allowing me to go ahead right now, no matter how much I try to convince myself.

Fully agree with each and every point. The main thing is, they dropped a ton of hints about being bullish on the ecosport, "we aim to gain leadership position (6000/month of sustained sales) in this segment", 8-12 lakh price bracket, etc etc and they tested it with the duster and ecosport. But seeing the response they became greedy. They were also saying that they were also targeting sedan customers. Pray which sedan is this competing with(price wise). If the "you'll be surprised by the prices" wasn't supposed to be a poor joke, everything had hinted at prices a lakh below the ones now. This is one of the main causes why people are unhappy with the prices. If you look at the price objectively though, it is not that overpriced especially if the ride and handling is good. They now priced it at the absolute strained end of what a hapless, starved of options customer would pay for a "perfect SUV" and I don't think this would be a sales dud. But a sustained segment leader and 60k sales in a year looks like a very tall order to me now. Looks like long term vision gave way to short sighted greed.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 21st July 2015 at 22:46. Reason: shortening quoted post. theres no need to quote entire post. Thanks
Whichcarnow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 22:29   #988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimi View Post
The Diesel Base variant of CRETA is Rs 35,000 higher then Duster RXE
However, CRETA offers some of major additional features like ABS, 2 Din audio with 4 speakers, Rear power window, Rear AC vents, Front console armrest etc. The value of these features is much higher then Rs 35,000
Also factor in around 50k discount on the Duster making the difference a much more substantial 85k! In fact Renault had an extra 20k special discount on top of this till 20/7.

Last edited by itwasntme : 21st July 2015 at 22:31. Reason: Celebrating
Old 21st July 2015, 22:47   #989
BHPian

Quote:
No way can the prices of the Creta be justified, any which way you look at it. This is pure greed of the Hyundai top management coming to the fore, plain and simple. They have their booking numbers, and now if even 50% of those turn into purchases, they have a winner and a cash-cow. Rest 50% will also contribute to their coffers, with that Rs. 3,000-per cancellation clause. Win-win on both sides.

I am in complete agreement to all what you state, even I had booked a SX(O)(needless to say, am disappointed with the prices and have put it on hold).

If HMIL was indeed targeting a premium pricing, where are the following features we associate with a premium variant :
1. Cruise Control
2. Sunroof
3. Electrochromatic mirror
4. Automatic Headlamp
5. Automatic Wipers

I also think that this is a case of HMIL getting greedy in between and announcing prices way above decided earlier

PS : My dealer had earlier told that he was supposed to deliver 3 vehicles today, he just dropped a whatsapp at 10 pm to reconsider my decision to cancel my booking citing that is a very good car and worth the premium and I can be his first customer to take delivery tomorrow if i want.
sids1811 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 22:53   #990
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
However, the media drives are taking place after a couple of days.
Heard the media drive is in Pune next week. Hope the guys at Hyundai offer journos to drive the 1.4 diesel as well! They skipped offering the 1.4 engines even for the Verna during their media drives.
Pricing does seem justified to an extent, but i wish they had offered driver side airbag as standard atleast.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks