Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2015, 20:23   #1216
BHPian

re: Preview: Hyundai Creta

Guys, Seen in the news reports, two instances of crashes of Creta, courtesy MotorBash.com, link is http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=6xd...gFNh3MI7DgvD6Q

Now, there is no mention of where it has happened or whether anyone got injured, there are just two photographs.

Authenticity of this news is not known.

Is it a case of a guerrilla " Bad Publicity" strategy by a rival ?

News is upsetting.
Old 24th July 2015, 20:33   #1217
BHPian

Seeing the pictures it somehow gives me feel of the new i20 with a higher GC and different front and bigger boot.

I would like to see the difference between these two cars given the big price difference.
Old 24th July 2015, 20:42   #1218
BHPian

Lot has been said on pricing of Creta already.
In fact i was reading all the views as a spectator and after carefully understand the pricing dynamics of Creta, here are my two cents:
No doubt the full loaded SXO diesel is priced high as they want to positioned it as a premium product and want to start another game changer tactic. Hyundai already planned for another sub 4m SUV to play head on with ecosport and Maruti future offerings.
Though I still feel petrol Sx+ is rightly priced and is on dot being no SX on offer!
In diesel the best bet is 1.6 SX which is anywhere from 12.75 to 13.5 lakh OTR in different states.
If you see the difference between SX and SXO is fat 2 lakh and apart from 6 airbags there is not much without which one cant live.
In fact once I was also surprised by the pricing strategy Hyundai offered. The SX and SX+ price difference is 1 lakh while offerings r more cosmetics and not very functional.
I believe Creta is a mean machine and an overall excellent product and will create its position in the market.
Comparison is good but if you are looking out for a near perfect car than the problem is not with the product but with our perception!
ddriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 21:44   #1219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jha.shailesh View Post
Just test drove Creta AT. Here is my quick take:
Shailesh, may I ask which dealer did you approach (I see from your profile that you are from Hyderabad) for the AT test drive? Also, how heavy was the crowd? Did you need an appointment?
Old 24th July 2015, 23:52   #1220
BHPian

So after booking Creta 2 days back, I decided to test drive XUV and Duster AWD. XUV is future rich, spacious and big. But for someone who is driving Jazz from past 2 years it was like driving a lorry and nosedive experienced every time I applied the break. To give Mahindra the credit, it is the most VFM vehicle between 10-20Lakhs I have seen. It is big outside, spacious inside and has every zigmo you want. 2nd Row space is humongous in this price segment, not sure why they did not provide sliding rails and more boot space with all 3 rows up.

Renault Silk board sent home a white AWD for a test drive and boy-O-boy what an experience. I don't know if there is any other SUV in this price segment which can handle anything that comes its way like a duster does. While today the duster looks good, I was not sure can I live with this age old interiors for another 5 years till I buy me next car ( even now my Jazz compares well with new cars when it comes to cockpit).
Both quoted exactly 3.25 Lakhs as exchange for my 2010 Jazz select. Renault is saying that they can offer 76k discount on AWD OTR which is currently at 17 lakhs.
XUV W8 FWD is 17.9 and W10 FWD is 18.9 but no discounts. Both are eager to sell vehicle and have promised to rework discount or exchange price.

Hyundai (Advaith) offered 1.9L for my Jazz and the SA himself suggested to sell it outside. I may still buy Creta since I personally don't think it is overpriced. There is more than 10L difference between topend C2 segment and topend D1 segment, this what these compact SUV's are filling. But only reason I was checking XUV/Duster because I am unhappy that there is no AT variant in SX(O). I may have to test drive Creta tomorrow on a long stretch and see how it compares to duster.

I had test driven Yeti a month back and this will always be my dream car. I am not someone to say that it is overpriced, but at 23-24 OTR in Bangalore it was simply out of my budget. But when I start comparing Creta SX(O) with Yeti Elegance (4*2) which are almost same in terms of size, interiors space/Quality and features, It makes me feel Creta is well priced. I was sure it will be priced above 16.5 in BLR.
Don't bash me that I am comparing Duster, XUV and Yeti with Creta, but that's what Hyundai has managed in terms of packaging and pricing.

Last edited by NaveenKD : 25th July 2015 at 00:02.
NaveenKD is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 00:10   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CkmGowda View Post
Boot - Little smaller than terrano but can be compensated because the spare wheel is located in boot (which is a convenience if there is a puncture).
I am not sure if that is a convenience. It it is always hard to check air in the spare wheel if your boot is fully loaded.
The bigger problem is, if you have to change the wheel in a high way with a loaded boot, you will have to spread all the luggage on the road and if it rains, it will be most irritating stuff to do.
Keeping the spare outside is really a plus point. I had to once change the wheel in a highway, did spread the luggage outside to take out the spare and had an army of Monkeys trying to loot the luggage thinking they could find something to eat (Believe me, that was pretty tough to handle).
sathya_g_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 03:07   #1222
BHPian

Test drove Creta Diesel Today. Again, just a short spin in and around my IT Park; The Hyundai sales guys had come there for promotion. Since most of us including me have discussed in depth about the quality, aesthetics and ergonomics, let me share my thoughts on the mechanical part:
  • As expected, the Diesel engine's refinement is impressive; the vibrations are minimal and the engine becomes vocal only when you start revving it hard. Like the unit in Verna, after a slight initial lag, the power delivery (and in-gear acceleration) is strong and linear after say 1800 rpm all the way to high revs.
  • The car offers a comfortable ride. As I've mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I think it rides like i20/i20 active, or, well, to make things clearer, like the new Honda City. When I compare Creta's ride to my wallowy Accent's, all that comes to my mind is "Hyundai has come a long way". The car is softly sprung and low speed ride, like most of the recent Hyundai's is good.
    The Creta however doesn't ride like Duster 2wd, let alone the Duster AWD. The suspension travel is ordinary, and it shows. On the same road, at similar speeds, the ride in my Dusters (Both 2wd and AWD), or my colleagues Storme is noticeably more comfortable. At moderate speeds, potholes that Duster dismisses off without much fuss unsettles the Creta.
  • Body roll is present, but not in a magnitude that scares the driver. It's very evident though and Creta certainly rolls more than a Duster.
  • Steering is typical Hyundai. It does weigh up a bit as speed increases, but overall it feels artificial.
  • No nasty surprises were thrown and I think overall handling is neutral and predictable.

Some not-so-good things:
  • The wheel well clearance over the tyres is limited, and with just 2 people in the rear seat, the rear sank too much, (as if the tyres would brush the wheel well), just like how my Accent behaves, when loaded. This is not a good sign.

Preview: Hyundai Creta-cretawheelsink.jpg

Last edited by xjosephjacob : 25th July 2015 at 03:22.
xjosephjacob is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 08:20   #1223
Distinguished - BHPian

In fact I noticed this same sagging tendency when 5 people got into a demo Creta. Haven't noticed any such thing in the Duster.

One request for the TBHP testing team. Please load the Creta and carry out a subset of your normal driving manoeuvres. Important to know if it behaves totally differently when loaded and / or at highway speeds. This is crucial and potentially a showstopper for some people. Many a times, highway accidents are simply because owners do not know the loaded dynamics of their own vehicles.

Also keen to know if any 'elk test' has been carried out with the Creta or ix25?
See the Duster 4x4 in the video:

First attempt is with ESP on and then off. It nearly tips over at the end!

Last edited by itwasntme : 25th July 2015 at 08:30. Reason: Linky
itwasntme is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 08:56   #1224
Senior - BHPian

First Drive Impressions by CarDekho

PatienceWins is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 09:47   #1225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
In fact I noticed this same sagging tendency when 5 people got into a demo Creta. Haven't noticed any such thing in the Duster.

One request for the TBHP testing team. Please load the Creta and carry out a subset of your normal driving manoeuvres. Important to know if it behaves totally differently when loaded and / or at highway speeds. This is crucial and potentially a showstopper for some people. Many a times, highway accidents are simply because owners do not know the loaded dynamics of their own vehicles.

Thanks a lot for this! A quick Google search reveals that "According to Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, one-third of fatal accidents could be prevented by the use of the technology" - source Wikipedia.

If I were to try the moves shown in the (totally irresponsible) Creta TVC without ESC, I'm sure I would come an absolute cropper!

The lack of ESC really makes me nervous about going for the lower end Creta variants, especially since I plan to upgrade from a sedan to become a first-time SUV driver...With the powerful 126 bhp engine and a track record of too-light power steering, ESC seems very important to me in the Creta...!

Last edited by ampere : 25th July 2015 at 12:23. Reason: Removed video link from the quote
Old 25th July 2015, 12:19   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post

Some not-so-good things:
  • The wheel well clearance over the tyres is limited, and with just 2 people in the rear seat, the rear sank too much, (as if the tyres would brush the wheel well), just like how my Accent behaves, when loaded. This is not a good sign.

Attachment 1395164

Is that the Achilles Heel for this otherwise lovely Hyundai? If so, it is a bad one. Looking forward to responses from other members and the official review.
Old 25th July 2015, 12:33   #1227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagesh Bhatt View Post
Guys, Seen in the news reports, two instances of crashes of Creta, courtesy MotorBash.com, link is http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=6xd...gFNh3MI7DgvD6Q

Now, there is no mention of where it has happened or whether anyone got injured, there are just two photographs.

Authenticity of this news is not known.

News is upsetting.
Today while I was getting a demo of my new XUV, the Mahindra Rep showed me these pictures. He claims the accident took place at the Mumbai - Pune expressway. I was amazed how they kept a track of their competitors. I am sure the rivals are going to paste it everywhere on social media.
Amarjeetphukan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 12:54   #1228
BHPian

I was quite eager to go for Hyundai Creta. Luckily there is a Hyundai showroom near my house so had inquired there before the launch. Left my number for test drive. However no response from the dealership.

Today morning visited the dealer. They had just one petrol version (S) which too they mentioned was booked in name of a customer. They claimed they dont have a vehicle for test drive and were not even aware when they would have one. The reason given for non availability was 15000 bookings.

Surprisingly, the only model which they had, its battery was down and they could not open the rear hatch
Old 25th July 2015, 13:09   #1229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm403 View Post

Today morning visited the dealer. They had just one petrol version (S) which too they mentioned was booked in name of a customer. They claimed they dont have a vehicle for test drive and were not even aware when they would have one. The reason given for non availability was 15000 bookings.

Surprisingly, the only model which they had, its battery was down and they could not open the rear hatch
I think that you got hold of a very misinformed person at the dealership. There is no way a new car will have a battery down, all new Hyundai's now have a master switch to control current flow from battery which is placed in the fuse area. As a practice followed by many dealers, they keep it in off position, this might be the case with the car on display there.
sids1811 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 13:16   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagesh Bhatt View Post
Guys, Seen in the news reports, two instances of crashes of Creta...
Had been to the Nexa Truck display of the S-Cross yesterday (just for the heck of it, not looking for a new vehicle). The sales person was very enthusiastically showing these images (circulating on WhatsApp too) to prospective clients, saying "this happens in test drive, S-Cross is much better".

Deja Vu

Wasn't there something on similar lines when the Ecosport was launched and the Duster felt the heat?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed