Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2015, 16:20   #1276
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Preview: Hyundai Creta

Creta accessories price list. As expected, it's on the higher side.

Preview: Hyundai Creta-screenshot_1.jpg

Courtesy - TAI member
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 16:51   #1277
BHPian

Test drove the Creta 1.6 CRDi SX(O) this Saturday in pouring rain. First off - this is the first Hyundai I actually enjoyed driving.

We used to own an Accent CRDi earlier which was enjoyable in its own way but the i20 CRDi that we own currently is so inconsistent in its performance that words fail me and along with the TDs I had taken of the Verna and the Elantra, I had made up my mind to never upgrade to another Hyundai.

-Think Hyundai has finally got the tuning and the gear ratio mapping between the six speed manual and the 1.6 CRDi right
-It was a breeze to drive with the free revving engine having decent drivability, and a good mix of mid and top end grunt
-Clutch action is extremely light and the gear box is quite slick shifting
-Felt the brakes to be quite direct and decent, even in the pouring rains they felt confident to use
-Ride quality is quite good for a Hyundai but no where Duster good. It is set up slighlty stiff so you don't feel the bobbing up front when your are diriving. But you do feel it when you are sitting at the back.
-Space is very good, both at the front as well as at the back, but the back seat is a touch too low and they were not too supportive for me
-Hyundai is a feature king so no discussion on that. Quality of switch gear is also great - the light and wiper stalks, the steering wheel and controls, power window controls, climate control switches, AVN switches - all high quality
-However, the ICE sound quality was just about average for me
-Plastic quality was also decent but did not find the texture quality that premium when compared to the Duster AWD I had driven a few months back (purely based on the premium that Hyundai is charging over the Duster). Yes, the fit and finish is excellent whereas the Duster still has rough edges.

Think the 1.6 CRDi Automatic is the only reason to buy the Creta because for me, the mechanicals of the car are more important than the features (barring the safety kit) it has and that is where the Duster AWD trumps the Creta. Drive the Duster AWD in 3rd at 30 Kmph on a rough village road to get a sense of how capable it is. The Creta only betters (by a good margin) it in the refinement and safety (based on the kit provided) aspect here.

The above is purely my perspective - a person looking for a compact diesel SUV. I don't have any view on the petrol variants since I have never driven either of them.
Freewheelin_KD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 17:04   #1278
BHPian

I visited Talwar Hyundai in Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad and test drove both the diesel and petrol versions of Creta today. I was infact the first person to test drive both these cars as soon as it came to the showroom today morning and no body else was waiting. (Yes, they got the test drive cars only today). In spite of the sparse crowd, the SA did not let me drive on the ORR and said that they dont have permission yet to go too far away from the showroom. But i managed to get a peaceful 15-20 minutes with the diesel and another 10 minutes with the petrol and the SA was very understanding and cooperative throughout.

Here are my first impressions:

Diesel 1.6 SX(o):
  • The engine was super refined and there was hardly any engine noise inside. I was very impressed with both the engine smoothness and the NVH levels. Definitely better than Duster in this respect.
  • The gear shifts were smooth and i did not notice any hardness or issues with it.
  • The engine was very responsive and willing to pull and it felt very comfortable even in lower rpm's. In fact, it was so refined and smooth that i wondered if it was really a diesel or petrol under the hood. Hyundai has definitely done a good job with the diesel. The Duster has a remarkable engine too and feels like something that can withstand rough use over the longer run but still the Creta feels more modern and smooth.
  • The suspension was quite firm and from the driver's seat, the ride quality was quite acceptable. However, its hard to pass judgement on this without a longer test drive especially on different roads and highways. The Duster is a benchmark for suspension and handling, so no second thoughts here.
  • The steering was very light at lower speeds and gradually feels heavier with speed. I hope it feels more heavier in the highways to inspire confidence. The Duster's steering comparatively is pretty heavy and gives the required confidence but the Creta's lighter steering might appeal to women and those who drive mostly within the city.

Petrol 1.6 SX+:
  • The petrol engine was again so well refined and smooth and there was no noise at all that could be heard inside the cabin. I, in fact forgot to switch off the engine after the test drive and got off the car thinking that it was already off.
  • It was very easy and comfortable to drive within the city and the clutch was very light as well. The driving experience was very similar to the Diesel and i did not find any major differences.

General Observations:
  • The SX(o) interiors feels very premium compared to the other trims. But, like many others have already pointed out, the pricing definitely seems on the higher side and not VFM.
  • The seat upholstery on the SX+ and SX trims is quite ordinary and brings down the good feel of the interiors but this is subjective and purely my opinion. Hyundai could have at least given a leather wrapped steering wheel and gear knob for the SX+ and SX versions.
  • The audio and sound quality was quite good and should be enough for a majority of people. The 7" screen was decent but visibility under sunlight was hampered a bit.
  • Rear legroom was sufficient but lesser than Honda City. However, i dont see any reason to complain in this regard.
  • Rear seat width could have been a little longer and like many have already pointed out, 3 adults may not be able to sit comfortably on a long journey.

Should i buy?
I am considering between the 1.6 Diesel SX (Rs. 14 lakhs OTR) and the 1.6 SX+ Petrol (13.5 lakhs OTR) and could not pick a clear winner after the test drive. My average monthly usage is about 700kms and i will be driving 75% of the time within the city or outskirts. The diesel SX costs 50k more but that will easily get adjusted through fuel and mileage difference over the next five years. However, i stand to lose out on the 7" AVN and the push button start/stop with smart key. So the question i have, is the diesel engine worth foregoing these two features?

I was also considering Honda City as the other option although its not exactly in the same or similar segment. It ticks most of my boxes and cheaper than Creta. But i don't exactly like its front looks and feel that a Creta or Duster may be more enjoyable to drive and own in the longer run. But i am not sure and need expert opinion on this as well.
mustangvins is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 17:36   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Had a chance to look at the Creta today. 1st impression " Not worth the price".
Its a good car but the premium it commands is not justified. The only car it beats hands down is Terrano.

Creta vs Duster:
Creta has more features, fit and finish is better. Duster on other hand is bigger,wider, more Ground Clearance, best in class ride and better handling. The Creta is a lac costlier , I would anyway pick-up Duster for the advantages it offers.

Creta vs Ecosport:
Creta has more powerful engine, more features,bigger boot. Ecosport has higher GC,better handling,better FE. With Creta costing 3-5lac more than Ecosport, the latter seem so much more a sensible buy. Also noted that Creta even though wider, cannot seat 5 in comfort. Had it come with 1.8/2.0 engine paying 4 lac more makes sense but not for a 1.6 and additional 100L of boot space.

P.S:This is just my opinion and I don't consider premium dashboard an reason to buy that too at a high premium price
PrideRed is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 17:38   #1280
Distinguished - BHPian

The Media Drive is on right now, in full swing. Some impressions from the Twitterati:

Name:  1.GIF
Views: 19225
Size:  53.6 KB

Preview: Hyundai Creta-2.gif

Preview: Hyundai Creta-3.gif

Preview: Hyundai Creta-4.gif

Additionally, Zigwheels has come out with the first comprehensive review of the Creta based on the Media Drive earlier today.

Excerpts:

Quote:
Having driven the 1.6-litre diesel, we can merrily report that it is without a doubt one of the most refined engines in this segment. Not only is the overall noise and vibrations much lesser than what we expected, the engine also feels smooth and linear on full throttle acceleration. Yes, there is a hint of turbo lag at lower RPM but it quickly disappears once you pass the 1500-1700rpm mark. We also particularly like the gearshifts on this 1.6-litre model. The 6-speed box feels easy to use and light enough to shift with just one finger making the Creta an easy car to drive. The lightness continues with the clutch too which does provide good bite but still isn’t cumbersome to use at all.

The Hyundai Creta with its 17-inch wheels rides like a car twice its price...maybe even better. There is an almost minimal amount of pitching or bounce on large bumps and the Creta even take broken tarmac with relative ease. Of course, chucking it into a corner at higher speeds does take its toll on the overall composure of the car, but more on that a little later.

Every Hyundai car in recent times has differentiated itself by being easy to drive. Whether that means a light steering, light clutch or light gearshifts, most Hyundai’s do not tend to give you general fatigue either in the city or on the highway. And the Creta is exactly the same. Being quite a bit larger than the i20, etc, the Creta does not feel large both because of its easy to drive controls and also due to the fact that the large greenhouse offers almost unrestricted views of your surroundings. Of course, having height adjustable steering and a height adjustable driver’s seat also helps.

Being a high riding SUV, one might expected the Creta to handle like a marshmallow. It does not. It isn’t exactly a race car, but Hyundai has clearly worked a lot on the overall suspension settings to tune the Creta’s handling dynamics to suit the general public. Although it does have a fair bit of body roll in long sweeping faster corners, the Creta does feel quite comfortable at highway cruising speeds. Yes, there are other SUVs like the Duster that would outhandle the Creta but as an overall package and especially in the city, The Creta is certainly a more livable package.

Coming to the brakes, this is possibly one of the only aspects of the Creta that did disappoint us a little. Its not that the brakes aren’t good enough to stop the car in time, it is just the fact that the pedal does not have any solid feel and feedback to inspire confidence from the get go. Maybe the Creta’s brakes just need getting used to but on a personal level, it definitely needs a bit more bite.

The Hyundai Creta is on the slightly expensive side and has received considerable flack for the same but lets be fair, it does also offer a lot for its price range. And although some might not see the value proposition for paying this level of money for what is essentially a compact SUV, the Creta does in our opinion make a lot of sense vs some of its almost similarly priced competition.
Preview: Hyundai Creta-hyundaicretadieselreviewroadtestzigwheelsindiag09_720x540.jpg

Preview: Hyundai Creta-hyundaicretadieselreviewroadtestzigwheelsindiag36_720x540.jpg

Zigwheels

Last edited by RavenAvi : 27th July 2015 at 17:42.
RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 19:16   #1281
Senior - BHPian

With these review I understand that dynamics is certainly not a deal breaker. That's excellent for a tall Hyundai SUV.

Hyundai have made improvement with the Grand i10 and the Elite i20, so it doesn't come as too much of a surprise. If these cars get balanced dynamics, we shall soon see people buying more Hyundais than anything else.

Compared to the Japanese cars, they are generally better-equipped and have almost as good reliability. And the elite i20 and Grand i10's numbers show that Hyundai's can sell well.

I just love the Getz. It's one great machine. Hopefully the future Hyundai's match it in the handling department.

For those of you comparing the features between the Creta and Verna:

The Creta is an SUV, which in the Indian context has more value. (Just like compact sedan vs premium hatch i.e. Elite i20 vs Xcent/ Jazz vs Amaze)
So it's natural that Hyundai want to price it higher than the duster.

There's simply no point comparing it to the Verna; The equivalent Verna will be cheaper, consider the premium is for that SUV body and more ground clearance.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 19:40   #1282
Senior - BHPian

I think the Creta is here to stay. Slowly but surely Hyundai had been establishing its hold in the market as a company which makes quality products. The pricing of the Creta is also competitive and seems high but when u look at the specs and the gizmos offered, the price seems reasonable enough to buy. The icing on the cake is the automatic offered in no competitor. Just for that it would make it worth a buy. Although i have not driven it personally, it looked larger than the Eco sport and more comfortable than the Nissan/Renault twins. Understandably, its interesting a lot of buyers.
Old 27th July 2015, 19:47   #1283
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Creta's 6-speed unit would perform better than the Verna's 5-speed unit, specially on open, flat roads and expressways.
The Verna remains the better performer, 6 speed or not. It's significantly lighter & lower! The Verna will be quicker and more efficient as well. A 6th gear is nice to have, but it certainly doesn't make a world of difference.

Quote:
The 6th gear acts more like a semi-Cruise Control.
Meaning?

6th gear ratios are always super tall. If anything, they make you downshift in certain situations when a 5-speed car wouldn't need to. I've toured extensively in a 6-speeder and can tell you that you'll be downshifting more than in a 5-speeder.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 19:49   #1284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Creta vs Ecosport
Diesel's pricing doesn't warrant a comparison; but still when it comes to the powertrain:

Diesel, H wins hands down with it's outright power from the 16v engine. Ecosport's humble 8v unit's only solace is in it's urban drivable nature in the sub 2k rpm levels. 6 speed box and auto option thrown in, there's no competition at all!

It is the exact opposite in the petrol. Ford's turbocharged unit does what the 1.6 crdi did to the 1.5 tdci

Creta: 122 bhp @ 6400 RPM, 154 Nm @ 4850 RPM
Ecosport: 125@6000 RPM; 170@1400-4500 RPM

The number of horses maybe the same, but ford's horses has all the fury!
Old 27th July 2015, 20:16   #1285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Verna remains the better performer, 6 speed or not. It's significantly lighter & lower! The Verna will be quicker and more efficient as well. A 6th gear is nice to have, but it certainly doesn't make a world of difference.
The 6th gear is very convenient on flat roads and expressways. I have personally experienced this on my City diesel, vis-a-vis our Swift petrol. Of course, when the roads become a bit steep, bouncy and uneven, the 6th gear is of little use. I have seen my City struggle with the 6th gear in place on uneven and bouncy roads, and only comes back into it's own when I downshift to the 5th.

Not questioning the quickness and agility of the Verna here, but the additional gear does help in spreading out the gear ratios better for better open-road performance. A larger, bigger, higher-slung SUV like the Creta does need it, much more than an arrow-shaped sedan with low-slung stance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Meaning?

6th gear ratios are always super tall. If anything, they make you downshift in certain situations when a 5-speed car wouldn't need to. I've toured extensively in a 6-speeder and can tell you that you'll be downshifting more than in a 5-speeder.
And that's exactly what I am talking about.

Quote:
Better and more spread-out gear ratios = better highway driveability, comfort and performance. The Creta's 6-speed unit would perform better than the Verna's 5-speed unit, specially on open, flat roads and expressways.
The only good use of the 6th gear, as I pointed in my previous post, is on open, flat roads or expressways. For all other types of roads (most of Indian roads, unfortunately), it is of little use. It helps in keeping speeds constant at above 80-90 kmph, while extracting the maximum fuel efficiency from the engine, hence it does act as a semi-Cruise Control (of course you got to keep your foot on the accelerator).

I say this from extensive experience of driving my Honda City through all sorts of roads during the past year and half.

But yes, for the majority of Indian highways, the 6th gear is of limited use. As is Cruise Control as well.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 27th July 2015 at 20:18.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 20:28   #1286
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The 6th gear is very convenient on flat roads and expressways. I have personally experienced this on my City diesel, vis-a-vis our Swift petrol. Of course, when the roads become a bit steep, bouncy and uneven, the 6th gear is of little use. I have seen my City struggle with the 6th gear in place on uneven and bouncy roads, and only comes back into it's own when I downshift to the 5th.

I say this from extensive experience of driving my Honda City through all sorts of roads during the past year and half.
Actually the Honda city 6th gear is not the best of examples. Not because it's useless but it's too short. The 6th gear in Honda City behaves like the 5th in my Ecosport. You can even slot 6th at 70-80kmph and it will pull effortlessly. But everytime you lose momentum you need to shift to 5th always.

It's the opposite in Jetta. 6th is useful only at 100-120kmph. Below that there's nothing. This is super tall 6th gear.

We need to see how Creta is setup in gear ratios.

Actually I'm surprised it gets the 6 speed with the 1.6L VTVT engine. It slipped my mind that this is the Verna engine with a 6 speed box and the Elantra gets a 1.8L engine.

Since anyways the Creta is not eligible excise cuts why didn't they just follow the Elantra config with a 1.8L engine since it's heavier with wider tyres and nowhere near as aerodynamic as a Verna or Elantra.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 20:39   #1287
BHPian

Finally test drove the vehicle, the ride is decent and agree with most of the initial reviews by the experts, but this still doesn't warrant a high price.
Old 27th July 2015, 20:42   #1288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Actually the Honda city 6th gear is not the best of examples. Not because it's useless but it's too short. The 6th gear in Honda City behaves like the 5th in my Ecosport. You can even slot 6th at 70-80kmph and it will pull effortlessly. But everytime you lose momentum you need to shift to 5th always.
Indeed.

The 6th gear is practically useless on bouncy highways when the speeds start to dip alarmingly, and a downshift to 5th is inevitably necessary. I feel more comfortable driving her in the 5th gear than the 6th, and that's been most of the time.

Quote:
It's the opposite in Jetta. 6th is useful only at 100-120kmph. Below that there's nothing. This is super tall 6th gear.
That is how it should be, shouldn't it? The 5th gear should be good enough to pull the car all the way to 100 kmph at least, after that the 6th gear can take over and keep things smooth.

Quote:
We need to see how Creta is setup in gear ratios.
Will be experiencing this first-hand tomorrow morning, as I take delivery and drive her extensively all day.

Quote:
Actually I'm surprised it gets the 6 speed with the 1.6L VTVT engine. It slipped my mind that this is the Verna engine with a 6 speed box and the Elantra gets a 1.8L engine.
Hence my point about it having slightly better driveability than the Verna 4S. Of course, with the added weight and raised suspension, the whole point might become moot.

Quote:
Since anyways the Creta is not eligible excise cuts why didn't they just follow the Elantra config with a 1.8L engine since it's heavier with wider tyres and nowhere near as aerodynamic as a Verna or Elantra.
For one, costs. The petrol option would have ballooned beyond 10 lakhs for the base variant alone (ex-showroom Delhi) and would have found far fewer takers than there are, right now. I shudder to even imagine how much the 1.8L SX+ petrol would have been priced at?!

Also, a 1.8L engine powering a 4+1-seater compact SUV? Just think what the Indian market would have thought of it. And more so from Hyundai, who are well-known for NOT catering to enthusiast tastes!

Secondly, mileage. Petrol buyers are very conscious about mileage figures as well. Since Hyundai is marketing the Creta as a mass-market SUV, it would have done little to enhance the Creta's image as a value-conscious buy.

Not like what the pricing has done for it eventually, anyway.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 27th July 2015 at 20:44.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 20:55   #1289
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
her
There you go ! All the effort that Hyundai marketing put in labeling the car as the real SUV just went down the drain

Jokes aside, congrats on the car and wish you a safe journey with Creta. I don't think anyone is as emotionally invested into buying the Creta as you are.
Eddy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 21:37   #1290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
There you go ! All the effort that Hyundai marketing put in labeling the car as the real SUV just went down the drain
Quote:
Indeed.
I read RavenAvi's thread and thought of the same thing, when I saw Eddy's post. The most passionate advocate of Creta has just subconsciously turned "it" anthropomorphically "female". It would be interesting to see how it turns out with the other owners and reviewers in other forums.

You're right, the brand manager in Hyundai must be cringing in his seat if he is reading this.
Contrapunto is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed