Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2015, 14:24   #1336
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Preview: Hyundai Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kaybee View Post
Siddharth Vinayak Patankar of NDTV Auto compares the Creta and the Duster and rates Duster a tad bit higher!
http://auto.ndtv.com/reviews/hyundai...chmark-1201657
Oddly the review rated Cretas ability to take bad roads and the ride better than that of the Duster? Duster was only rated better for Handling.

All through this thread Duster has been rated by most if not all to be better in terms of how it's suspension takes punishment so that was quite odd, infact this was supposed by many to be the only thing that the Duster was still better at besides pricing.

Prices of Models are stated to be "marginally different" - well as long as 10% OTR is marginal..

Also Creta was referred to as being as "Modern" as the Duster or rather that both are equally modern and well engineered, While we most on this thread have rated the Duster as being a generation behind some even more, in my view half a gen though. While I do agree on the Engineering bit to some extent as far as the mechanicals go but the engineering on the Duster Interiors is dated to say the least.

But the point is that the review by SVP somehow does not feel competent this time - skip it.

Even the TG review rates the ride and handing of the Hyundai on par or better than the Duster. Am I missing something or are these guys just reading the marketing copy given by the company rather than testing out the vehicles themselves.

Last edited by ACM : 29th July 2015 at 14:30.
ACM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 14:46   #1337
j76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
But the point is that the review by SVP somehow does not feel competent this time - skip it.
I agree.

One of his primary issues seem to be the DRLs which he has pointed out a couple of times in his earlier review as well as this Duster comparo.
Additionally he seems to suggest Duster as aspirational being one of the reasons why he rates it slightly higher, which again seems out of place.

A couple of areas where I beg to differ is the interior space comments -
In my opinion the Duster AC vent protrusion and the floor hump make it more uncomfortable for the 3rd passenger than in the Creta.
Additionally there seems to be a distinct shift by car manufacturers going back to black interiors as these are associated with a more upmarket and sporty feel.

To each his own, but SVP and the Creta dont get along.

Last edited by j76 : 29th July 2015 at 14:47. Reason: punctuation missed
Old 29th July 2015, 15:07   #1338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohytkumar View Post
Does anyone have knowledge of the kerb weight of the new Hyundai Creta? The brochures and the online community is silent on this aspect.
the reason could be Hyundai is trying to hide something, following could be the reasons:
1. The hive structure which Hyundai claims is not exactly same as in ix25 of china, this means hyundai has compromised on the structural integrity of creta. when IX25 was launched in china, Hyundai displayed this hive structure with three layers in B pillar. when i look at what they show in India does not include these three layes. Also they are not advertising 5star China NCAP rating which means something has changed.
2. If you look at NCAP reports (euro, A, ASEAN) they clearly mention Kerb weight. If the manufacturer is not mentioning same in India it clearly shows structural integrity is not the same in India as other countries.

I think these are basic parameters which any manufacturer has to share, do we have some guideline from government forcing automobile companies to share it ???
veyron-w16 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 16:19   #1339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Took delivery of my "Lazarus" at 2:30 PM in the afternoon, amidst loud cheering by the showroom personnel and confetti bursts behind us.
@RavenAvi Congrats and wish you many happy and fuss free ownership miles

I am trying to decide between petrol SX+ and diesel SX and need some advice from you.

How would you rate the diesel engine performance against the petrol? In one of your earlier posts, you had mentioned that the diesel is definitely a better engine to go for but the petrol is not far behind either.

But are they really close enough that it doesn't make sense to compromise on the 7" AVN and push button start/stop features? The only other differences between SX+ and SX seem to be the shark fin antenna and chrome door handles as per Hyundai's website.

Based on my initial test drive, i felt that they were close but on trying it again, the diesel's torque appealed to me and it was quite effortless to drive that. Not that the petrol was far behind but i could feel some difference today when compared to the first time. Your inputs are highly appreciated.
mustangvins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 17:14   #1340
BNM
BHPian

NDTV/SVPs review of the AT is totally contradicting the BBC Top Gear review which goes as

Quote:
.The 1.6 diesel has an automatic available as an option. A six-speed one, and not the Verna's four-speed. We've been driving it all day now, and we've been smiling throughout. It's mapped for quick responses and understands your need for power rather well. It doesn't take minutes to downshift if you push your right foot down to the floor. Shifts are almost instant
Not that I am an Auto Guru, but I found the turbo lag very minimal when I did the TD. Maybe I am just speaking based in my my Verna experience. Even the Mercedes GLA suffers from serious turbo lag as per TD reports though it comes with more horses and torque. Moreover, there was only a 1 second difference reported between the manual and the AT when the TD was done at the factory last month.

Anyway truth will prevail this weekend when I get to lay my hands on my new AT hopefully.

Last edited by BNM : 29th July 2015 at 17:34.
BNM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 19:44   #1341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron-w16 View Post
the reason could be Hyundai is trying to hide something, following could be the reasons:
1. The hive structure which Hyundai claims is not exactly same as in ix25 of china, this means hyundai has compromised on the structural integrity of creta. when IX25 was launched in china, Hyundai displayed this hive structure with three layers in B pillar. when i look at what they show in India does not include these three layes. Also they are not advertising 5star China NCAP rating which means something has changed.
2. If you look at NCAP reports (euro, A, ASEAN) they clearly mention Kerb weight. If the manufacturer is not mentioning same in India it clearly shows structural integrity is not the same in India as other countries.

I think these are basic parameters which any manufacturer has to share, do we have some guideline from government forcing automobile companies to share it ???
BTW I encountered this lack of weight information when I was considering the Elantra (to compare with the one in the U.S.) and just the other day a colleague looking to buy a Verna realized that there is no weight information available for it.

Just shows why the Indian i10 did so badly in crash tests, compared with the European car. I personally feel Hyundai's top priority is price and they'll do whatever it takes to get it right.

Last edited by StarScream : 29th July 2015 at 19:47.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 19:57   #1342
BHPian

The AVN Touchscreen Head Unit on the S+, SX, the SX+ and the SX+ AT variants is a 5-inch one.

Only the SX(O) gets the 7-inch AVN Touchscreen Unit and a Supervision Cluster.

@Raven, I am curious to know if the gear shift indicator did tell you this on your SX+ variant without a Supervision Cluster?

@Mustang, You will miss a 7-inch AVN on SX+ over SX Diesel but you can enjoy Sat-Nav and Video camera display on the 5-inch.

Last edited by gotovamsee : 29th July 2015 at 20:24.
Old 29th July 2015, 20:28   #1343
BHPian

SX+ comes with 7 inch AVN while SX comes with 5inch touchscreen without nav system.
SX diesel is a deal to go for else SX+petrol all other trims are useless or overpriced.
Old 29th July 2015, 20:41   #1344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron-w16 View Post
I have not compared the hive structure but I have similar apprehensions too. The photographs of the crashed Creta had exposed a flimsy metal piece underneath the front bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohu9 View Post
IMHO comparing weights of the SAME car that is available in two different countries could provide clues to the structural components (and hence the clues to inherent safety). Indian Creta is similar to the Chinese ix25. If there is a large variation in the weight of these two cars then I would assume that certain invisible metal components are missing in the Indian Creta. Chinese ix25 has received highest safety crash test ratings whereas Indian version does not go through the crash testing so we would never know.

Plus, whenever a manufacturer is hiding certain information then it does raise suspicion. Wouldn't you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
BTW I encountered this lack of weight information when I was considering the Elantra (to compare with the one in the U.S.) and just the other day a colleague looking to buy a Verna realized that there is no weight information available for it.

Just shows why the Indian i10 did so badly in crash tests, compared with the European car. I personally feel Hyundai's top priority is price and they'll do whatever it takes to get it right.
By most accounts, they have NOT got the price right either. Consumers of premium products wouldn't mind paying the "right" price provided our lives are given similar importance as the lives of people in other countries. Hyundai knows that in spite these tactics they will be able to sell this car here.

In most cases, we are trying to select the least objectionable car (the one where we have to make least compromises). Whereas consumers from other countries get to select the best among the available cars.
Old 29th July 2015, 21:06   #1345
BHPian

I correct myself now, all AVN's offered in Creta are 7-inch.

Can some one clarify if there is going to be a gear shift display with a voice guide in all the variants? How a supervision cluster make a difference here?
gotovamsee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 21:18   #1346
BHPian

Autocar review up guys.

souvik6 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 21:27   #1347
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a wonderful day driving my Lazarus through the crowd-filled streets of my city.

Some observations:

- This compact SUV has been designed and engineered with only one sole intention - to make you very happy and comfortable when pottering about inside the city. Enthusiasts, please look elsewhere (TSI/Jetta fanatics, don't even think of the Creta!).

- The 1st gear is good for pulling you from the REST position. It's pretty short, just like most of today's cars.

- The 2nd gear helps you to pull away neatly from 10 kmph onwards. It is also very helpful when you need that sudden surge of acceleration to manoeuver a quick overtake.

- The 3rd gear is where the Creta finds itself completely at home. Speeds of 30-40 kmph are like bread and butter for this wonderful compact SUV. Even a quick dash for an in-speed overtake is handled by the 3rd gear without any fuss. Head over 40 kmph (but under 50), and upshift to the 4th to keep the engine happy. I did this very occasionally though - 3rd gear was good enough for me for all variations of in-city speeds.

- Learnt a new party trick today - the keyfob is actually pretty useless! It will sit inside your pocket for most of it's life until it's battery runs out.
Just walk up to the car with it, press the little black button on the driver door handle, and the car unlocks. Get in, press the clutch and the Start/Stop button, and the car vrooms to life!
When you have reached your destination, hit the Start/Stop button again to shut off the engine, simply walk out of the car, close the driver door and again press the little black button on the driver door handle. Car is locked!
Ergo, keyfob is of limited use (except when you need to open the boot separately).

- Press the Start/Stop button once (orange) and you can access the LED positioning lamps and the foglamps. Headlamps won't light up unless you press the Start/Stop button again (blue).

- Headlamp lever is a toggle. Pull once for low beam, pull again for high beam.

- Foglamps are turned on by a rotatory knob housed on the headlamp lever. Again, toggle the rotatory knob to turn them on and off.

- Both beams (low and high) are housed in the projectors section, which is unusually bright despite being a non-HID halogen type. Details in the pics to follow.

- LED positioning lamps can't be seen from very close during daytime. You have to stand about a foot or so in front to see their light reflection. Even so, they are not as bright as standard DRLs. Actually, these LED positioning lamps are replacements for the normal parking bulb-sections in other cars.

- The static-bending lights are very bright, and illuminate both corners quite nicely when the steering wheel is turned (in whichever direction you are headed). They come on according to steering wheel input, and shut off automatically when the turning/curve is negotiated. I had plenty of mischevious fun by turning the steering-wheel in both directions in quick succession, just to see both cornering lamps come on and brighten both sides of the road ahead, much to the perplexity of the people around the road areas.

- The reverse display in the AVN unit is huge, and the adaptive guidelines spread out in either direction very nicely and evenly according to steering-wheel input. The resolution is quite sharp.

- Cabin lights light up the entire cabin quite brightly. All lights are better than my 2014 City, including the central cabin lamp and the boot lamp.

Leaving detailed pictures for my ownership report, but adding a few here for the benefit of those who want to have an exact idea of the Creta's lights and their effectiveness.

Twilight lights with Lazarus:

LEDs when the evening starts to set in.
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_7007.jpg

From up close.
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_7009.jpg

Dash section, when the Start/Stop button is pressed once.
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_7012.jpg

Reverse gear engaged, display in AVN unit.
Here - I hadn't taken the sticker off from the reverse camera yet!
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_7016.jpg

The Supervision Cluster of the SX+.
You get 2 trip meters (A&B), outside temperature display, ODOmeter, two bars on either side to display fuel levels and engine temperature (thank you Hyundai again!) and a central speedo unit, all digital.
Toggle the "Trip" button on the steering-wheel for Trip B, Average speed, Engine running time, and real-time speed.
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_7023.jpg

Area in front with no lights on.
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_7028.jpg

With the LED-positioning lamps on.
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_7027.jpg

With the foglamps on. Very bright despite their unusual standing-trapezoidal shape.
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_7026.jpg

Low beam from the projector halogens.
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_7029.jpg

High beam from the projectors. Quite bright.
I noticed it caused some discomfort to other incoming cars yesterday night.
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_7030.jpg

Welcome screen when the AVN unit comes on.
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_7031.jpg

Second screen.
You have to click on "Agree" to proceed further, otherwise your steering-mounted controls won't work.
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_7032.jpg

Press on "NAV" button and reach here.
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_7036.jpg

Normal tail lights during night time.
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_7043.jpg

A close-up.
Notice the smart detailing of the tail lamps to make them appear as LEDs from a distance.
Hence I call them pseudo-LEDs.
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_7041.jpg

With the reverse gear engaged.
Reversing lights are two (thankfully) and are placed higher than the normal tail lamps.
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_7044.jpg

A close-up.
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_7045.jpg

When the brake pedal is pressed.
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_7047.jpg

A close-up.
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_7048.jpg

A close-up of when the side indicator flashes.
Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_7052.jpg

I need to go through the manual to fix one annoying thing - every time I shut off Lazarus and come back to start him up, the Head Unit starts playing from the very first song of the USB drive all over again. It's a pain to go through the folders to find out where the last song was played from (specially if your USB card is a 16GB one loaded with over 4000 songs!).

Rummaged through the "Settings" section of the HU but didn't find any option to fix this. Hopefully the huge and oversized manual has a fix for this simple yet annoying problem.

Homework ahead for me. Ciao!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 29th July 2015 at 21:34.
RavenAvi is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 21:32   #1348
BHPian

Autocar India's video review of the Creta just up - the reviewer does a good job, taking us through all the engine options. http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-vid...ew-396568.aspx
mr.kaybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 21:58   #1349
Distinguished - BHPian

So finally, got my car in the evening. It was a good experience and happy that I didnt have to wait long to get the car. Also, I think I made the right decision in going for the SX (O).

Few pictures that I took today. I shall take better pictures in the coming days.

Also, I am posting the "Mood Change Bar" thats been highlighted in the feature list and which is not properly explained by SA's reported by many BHPians. It's basically an ambient light that changes it's color as the temperature varies.

Have lot to things to figure out and I hope to update here on my findings.

Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_20150729_182506.jpg

Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_20150729_184056.jpg

Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_20150729_184110.jpg

Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_20150729_184120.jpg

Rivals

Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_20150729_193737.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 22:17   #1350
MSC
BHPian

This one is for our beloved Mods.
The preview page has gone over 90 pages. We all are waiting and dying for the official review. How much more time?
MSC is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks