Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2015, 18:19   #1411
BHPian

re: Preview: Hyundai Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
@ RavenAvi: Glad to know the navigation system is a very accurate SAT-NAV unit. Which map service does it use? How does one keep the maps updated?

I wish every factory-fitted SAT-NAV unit came with an inbuilt module that would also enable it to act as a vehicle location identification device. Does this unit have some kind of provision by which it could be modified to also act as a location identifier?
This is something that I have been wondering ever since AVN was confirmed. Who is the map provider and how to keep it updated? Is it a payable upgrade after some time? Hope the TBHP review also covers these aspects. I didnt see it being covered in the s-cross review.
Old 31st July 2015, 19:15   #1412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
@ RavenAvi: Glad to know the navigation system is a very accurate SAT-NAV unit. Which map service does it use? How does one keep the maps updated?

I wish every factory-fitted SAT-NAV unit came with an inbuilt module that would also enable it to act as a vehicle location identification device. Does this unit have some kind of provision by which it could be modified to also act as a location identifier?
Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
This is something that I have been wondering ever since AVN was confirmed. Who is the map provider and how to keep it updated? Is it a payable upgrade after some time? Hope the TBHP review also covers these aspects. I didnt see it being covered in the s-cross review.
This should clear your questions. But when I asked my SA, he said I will have to pay a small amount for the update when I give the car for service. I guess it's not required soon, maybe once the warranty is done (3 years)

Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_20150731_190839.jpg

Preview: Hyundai Creta-img_20150731_190954.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 19:48   #1413
BHPian

Congrats to all you brand new owners of the Creta!

Has anyone in Mumbai managed to get their hands on the car? My dealer (Global Gallarie) seems clueless! I booked mine in July 1st week and still no estimate of when I can get the car. They are saying that they are not getting allotments from Hyundai!

Apparently, they are getting a boat load of petrols now, which can be delivered within a month, but when it comes to the diesels especially the SX(O) [which I am looking for] they are clueless. I'm not in alone in this boat either, met another fellow who booked before me and hasn't been given a timeline yet.

Getting tired of running back and forth to the dealership trying to get some idea but always sent back saying, "We will let you know sir!". All other dealerships are simply saying "6 month waiting period"!

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise, what with the s-cross price reveal around the corner
Old 1st August 2015, 08:14   #1414
Distinguished - BHPian

Balanced review from Motoroids. http://www.motoroids.com/reviews/hyu...silken-sock/3/
Old 1st August 2015, 10:05   #1415
BHPian

Yesterday I had the opportunity to take back to back test rides of both the Renault duster and the Hyundai creta. First we landed up at the Hyundai showroom but the test drive vehicle wasn’t available as it had gone out for a test drive. We, then pushed off towards the Renault showroom and were promised to be given the creta test drive on our way back from there.
I’ll just share a few background points before I go ahead with the drive impression.

1) This was the first time for me driving both the creta and the duster. Infact it was the first time that I was even sitting in the duster’s cabin. The variants that were given for the test drives were the 85ps mid variant of the duster (they did not have the 110ps variant at that time) and the 1.6 crdi SX(O) of the creta with all the bells and whistles.

2) Both me and dad are quite tall. I am 6’5” and dad is 6’3” so naturally space becomes the topmost priority for us. And accommodating both of us will definitely be the acid test for both the cars when it comes to interior space offered.

Showroom staff

- Being a weekday afternoon the Hyundai showroom was relatively free with just a few customers strolling about while the Renault showroom resembled the sub sahara. That being said the Renault staff was definitely more courteous and helpful while the Hyundai staff appeared to be a bit snobbish. Sample this – During our test drive the salesperson actually said “Sir, Hyundai abhi boom pe hai. Gaadi hume bechne ki zaroorat nahi padti. Apne aap hi bik jaati hai.”

Exteriors

- Though the creta is quite contemporary in design and those diamond alloys look smoking hot but the duster still manages to exude a butch charm. The duster appears to be a good natured mustachioed cowboy in front of the svelte tuxedoed gentleman that the creta embodies. I liked both the designs and could not pick a favourite. As such, looks are quite subjective.

Interior space

- Ah, the acid test. It was here that I expected the duster to wipe the floor with the creta going by few of the comments I had read earlier in the thread. But surprise surprise! With my driving position in the creta i.e. the seat fully set back to its farthest most position dad could just about manage to sit behind me with his knees just touching the backrest. Whereas that was not the case with the duster. Dad’s knees were jutting into the front seat of the duster with my driving position and he was noticeably more uncomfortable. In fact he chose to sit diagonally behind me during the test drive.
- In addition while the doors of the creta open nice and wide, the duster seems to be a bit more cocoon like with ingress and egress being more difficult than the creta. I had to perform all kind of contortions to extricate myself from the back seat of the duster.

Interior quality

- Now this is where I expected the creta to wipe the floor with the duster going by the comments I had read earlier. The words ‘spartan’, ‘rudimentary’ and ‘basic’ have been used all too often while describing the interiors of the duster. To be honest I did not find them to be that big of a deal breaker. They might not be as plush and pleasing as the creta but they are quite liveable with. The addition of a responsive touchscreen is quite welcome too. Everything seems well bolted and durable and at the same time avoids looking utilitarian. The Renault also gets cruise control, a feature that the creta misses out on.

- The creta impressed me the first time I sat inside and it still impressed me. The fit and finish is impeccable and the cabin is a great place to be in. It feels lush and well appointed.

Performance

- There was a vast power difference in the variants that I was driving. The duster was around 40ps short on the creta and I was expecting the difference to be quite overwhelming. And it was. The creta is quite powerful. After the turbo spools up around 1750rpm the creta goes like a squirrel with its tail on fire. All with a very satisfactory push back into the plush driver’s seats. The gearshifts are smooth with a short throw and it’s a pleasure to work that gearbox.

- The duster was quite obviously short on power but Renault have tuned the 85ps engine brilliantly. No perceivable turbo lag and brilliant driveability. It responds with alacrity and briskness. I did not get a chance to drive it at a high speed though. On the other hand the gearshift is a bit notchy with longer throws than the creta (nowhere as bad as the scorpio though). The clutch play is also overtly long I feel. This might be a pain in bumper to bumper traffic.

Ride and handling

- This is where I was chuckling away to glory inside the Renault. The sales guy took us to an abandoned side road with abundant undulations and potholes. The duster truly was in its element here. The superb suspension, brilliant low speed driveability and the weighty steering all made sure that the biggest of bumps and worst of potholes were dispatched with a haughtiness quite belying the car’s size.

- The creta also has a plush ride but nowhere near the vicinity of the duster. The steering is light and lifeless and the potholes are felt in the cabin with a nice thud. I do hope the steering weighs up a bit at higher speed. Maybe the team bhp review or the ownership review can shed a bit more light on this.

Conclusion

Things I thought I would hate in the duster but I didn’t.
The interiors. Agreed they may not be as plush as the creta but they do the job. The quality is good with subtle hints of chrome livening things up on the inside. Definitely livable with.

Things I thought I would like in the duster but I didn’t
The interior space on offer. It might offer a tad bit more bootspace and maybe a millimeter more or two in the shoulder width department but it definitely loses out on legroom compared to creta. Definitely. Compounding the problems is the small ingress and egress areas.

Things I thought I would hate in the creta and I still do
The listless, lifeless steering. It is too light. A bit of firmness wouldn’t hurt. I hope it weighs up at higher speeds.

The topend variant of the 110ps duster can be compared with the sx variant of the 1.6 creta. They are similar on pricing and for that amount of money I think the creta gives you a lot more car. But nowhere does it give the duster a drubbing as I thought it would. The duster gives you a brilliant ride quality but not anything much else on the creta. The creta is definitely a better and more rounded package. As for me, I’m still confused because now I know that I can take the duster to leh without batting an eyelid. I might have to bat it once for the creta.

Last edited by gaurav_3000ad : 1st August 2015 at 10:06. Reason: Missed a heading
gaurav_3000ad is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 12:09   #1416
BHPian

Hyundai Creta has received over 18,000 bookings with nearly 20% for Automatic transmission.

Quote:
On the sidelines of the media drive program of the Hyundai Creta this week, Mr. Rakesh Srivastava, senior vice-president and division head, sales and marketing, HMIL (Hyundai Motor India Ltd.) told Indian Autos Blog that the compact SUV had received over 18,000 bookings. Nearly 20 percent of these bookings are for the AT variant, he said.

The AT variant on the Creta is available in a single SX+ trim, powered by the 1.6-liter four-cylinder diesel engine with 128 PS and 265 Nm of torque. A 6-speed torque converter system is provided with an ARAI-rated efficiency of 17.01 km/l.

The Creta is also available with a 1.6-liter Dual VTVT petrol engine producing 123 PS and 151 Nm of torque, and a 1.4-liter diesel engine with 90 PS and 220 Nm of torque. In all, HMIL launched 10 variants of the compact SUV with prices ranging from INR 8.59 lakhs to INR 13.6 lakhs, ex-Showroom, New Delhi. However, HMIL said that it has no immediate plans to launch a 4WD variant on the Creta, though the technology is readily available.

HMIL also plans on exporting the Creta to overseas markets, though Mr. Srivastava did not outline the countries.
Source: IAB
Old 1st August 2015, 12:30   #1417
BNM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekh15 View Post
Congrats to all you brand new owners of the Creta!

Has anyone in Mumbai managed to get their hands on the car? My dealer (Global Gallarie) seems clueless! I booked mine in July 1st week and still no estimate of when I can get the car. They are saying that they are not getting allotments from Hyundai!

Apparently, they are getting a boat load of petrols now, which can be delivered within a month, but when it comes to the diesels especially the SX(O) [which I am looking for] they are clueless. I'm not in alone in this boat either, met another fellow who booked before me and hasn't been given a timeline yet.

Getting tired of running back and forth to the dealership trying to get some idea but always sent back saying, "We will let you know sir!". All other dealerships are simply saying "6 month waiting period"!

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise, what with the s-cross price reveal around the corner
I don't know if you have just paid the booking amount. I have paid in full and being fooled. I also posted a complaint on the HMIL site crsales@hmil.com. It just said a representative will get back without any email acknowledgment. Just agonizing!
Old 1st August 2015, 13:28   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_3000ad View Post
As for me, I’m still confused because now I know that I can take the duster to leh without batting an eyelid. I might have to bat it once for the creta.
If trips like "Leh" is what you have in mind, and don't really need an AT desperately, go ahead and book the Duster AWD. You get go (almost) anywhere AWD capability (+ve), nicest balance of ride and handling (+ve) and safety kits equal to the SX(O) (=same).

To cap it all, there are hundreds of examples of this K9K Nissan engine with 400,000 + Kms on the odo and still going strong- so longevity is proven. I am yet to see two (at least) Hyundai diesels with half as much mileage.

Last edited by Contrapunto : 1st August 2015 at 13:33.
Contrapunto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 13:35   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNM View Post
I don't know if you have just paid the booking amount. I have paid in full and being fooled. I also posted a complaint on the HMIL site crsales@hmil.com. It just said a representative will get back without any email acknowledgment. Just agonizing!
Wow you paid the full amount as in the whole cost of the car? I only paid the booking amount. Are you in Mumbai? Which showroom are you dealing with? I too emailed the sales team but no reply! I even tweeted Rakesh Srivastava about the chaos, but ofcourse no response there either (His twitter handle if you are interested is @srivastava91265 ).

Last edited by vivekh15 : 1st August 2015 at 13:36. Reason: Added link
vivekh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 14:41   #1420
BNM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekh15 View Post
Wow you paid the full amount as in the whole cost of the car? I only paid the booking amount. Are you in Mumbai? Which showroom are you dealing with? I too emailed the sales team but no reply! I even tweeted Rakesh Srivastava about the chaos, but ofcourse no response there either (His twitter handle if you are interested is @srivastava91265 ).
Yes 17 lacs and change and this is my state. No engine no. and VIN no. yet. I am in Bangalore.
Old 1st August 2015, 14:48   #1421
BHPian

Quote:
Yes 17 lacs and change and this is my state. No engine no. and VIN no. yet. I am in Bangalore.
Damn that sucks! And here I thought i was having a hard time! Best of luck man, really get behind these guys and pester them. Hope you get your car very soon, or atleast get some information about it!
vivekh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 15:05   #1422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's bad. Hope you get a resolution soon.

What made you make the full payment? Typically the dealers attitude worsens once they get the money since it means you are then stuck with them and they have the advantage. They have no real incentive in getting the car to you soon.

Happened to my colleague also. They got him to pay the full amount and then kept giving excuses and delivered the car a month later. This was for a VW Polo.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 1st August 2015 at 15:08.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 16:06   #1423
BNM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
That's bad. Hope you get a resolution soon.

What made you make the full payment? Typically the dealers attitude worsens once they get the money since it means you are then stuck with them and they have the advantage. They have no real incentive in getting the car to you soon.

Happened to my colleague also. They got him to pay the full amount and then kept giving excuses and delivered the car a month later. This was for a VW Polo.
They offered to give me in white after I put a lot of pressure as if they were doing me a favor. But right since June I had told them I wanted red. They are quoting that as unavailable. I don't know how difficult it is for them to talk to the logistics section since the payment is made in full. Also to add I was the second person to book with the dealer (first AT I think) . If they don't yield by August 1st week, I will require the support of my fellow BHPians to deal with the dealer's high handness.

Last edited by BNM : 1st August 2015 at 16:16.
BNM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 16:53   #1424

Same Story Here Too. Dealer Wants Full Payment. The Hyundai Software That Tracks The Car Right From The Factory To The Dealer Gives Out All Relevant Details And They Are Able To Track The Vehicle. So There Is No Reason To Remain Worried. Your Sa Will Surely Be Able To Tell You If Car Is Allotted And The Day It Is Loaded And The Exp Day Of Delivery At The Dealer
Old 1st August 2015, 18:01   #1425
BHPian

A couple of bad experiences in my earlier days and I was of the firm view that I will buy a car only if it is available off the shelf. I still practice that rule. I am sure I miss out on new launches but it gives me peace of mind.

I remember it all started with the Fiat Palio which had an indefinite wait period for a car which would go from hero to zero within the first 2 years.

An endless wait is really agonizing. We can only sympathize. Hope you get your car soon. All the best.
rajivrt is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks