Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2015, 18:08   #1426
BHPian

re: Preview: Hyundai Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNM View Post
They offered to give me in white after I put a lot of pressure as if they were doing me a favor. But right since June I had told them I wanted red. They are quoting that as unavailable. I don't know how difficult it is for them to talk to the logistics section since the payment is made in full. Also to add I was the second person to book with the dealer (first AT I think) . If they don't yield by August 1st week, I will require the support of my fellow BHPians to deal with the dealer's high handness.
Don't get me wrong, but even we are to be blamed for this scenario, why would one pay the full amount even without seeing the vehicle or doing a PDI. I think we should make it a practice to see the vehicle and then make the payment, that way these dealers will not take us for a ride.
Chillout is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 18:51   #1427

Hi All,

As like the other motor heads on this lovely forum, I was eagerly awaiting for the “Creta” launch. I have been following this thread religiously to an extent of fanaticism. In fact at work, my well-meaning colleagues were worried that I am in the process of turning insane and my better half seriously contemplating that there is something “not right” happening.

Well, personally I needed a reliable and hassle free commuter car that I need not be bothered about except tank up, check for air, and drive. Why Hyundai? Well that’s what the current ride - i10 has served me exceptionally well. Driven it for about 60000 kms in the last 5 yrs including a few round trips to Kerala and had no hassles. Heck, I have not yet replaced any part of the car, except for regular services. I am to change the tyre shortly this week. Never faced any problem at all till date!

The enthusiast in me drives a Laura L&K which is thoroughly enjoyed at holiday home on long winding roads. Just love the steering feedback and the rock solid stability and the confidence of drive that I derive from it!

Coming back to Creta, all hopes of owing a “Creta AT”, to be my next car, came crashing down the day it was launched. The AT was launched in the lower spec version of SX and not the top end model with additional safety features which I needed. A comparison of price made looking for other alternatives and I figured out the XUV 500 to be super “value for money” proposition, but I would wait for the AT. It also perplexed me to think and find as to why Hyundai priced it at a premium. After a wild goose chase, I think I have something that is worth which I could share …… Let pictures do the talking...

I think I also managed to get some details which I think would be in the larger interest of this group :
Attached Thumbnails
Preview: Hyundai Creta-1.segmentation.jpg  

Preview: Hyundai Creta-2.product-role-positioning.jpg  

Preview: Hyundai Creta-3.target-customer.jpg  

Preview: Hyundai Creta-cd.jpg  

Preview: Hyundai Creta-dimensions.jpg  

Preview: Hyundai Creta-design-phil.jpg  

Preview: Hyundai Creta-product-positioning-verna.jpg  

mylife_myrules is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 18:57   #1428

And now I also know why the prices of Hyundai is going up and up… documented proof above.

Pictures Source : Product Guide of Hyundai Creta.

P.S: I know a lot of information has already been shared by our esteemed members about the pricing and other details, my intent is to provide a different perspective. Thank you for your patience in reading this through.

Mods.. Please have this merged with the previous posting that I had just submitted. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
mylife_myrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 19:14   #1429
BHPian

Looks like this could be the Duster killer. I was at the show room today, there were so many people around the display vehicle waiting to check out this talk of the town.

The look and feel didn't impress me that much but I may be an exception. My vento highline TDI is nearing 84000 and 5 years so thought of checking it out. Almost all the reviews I heard was positive so couldn't resist visiting the showroom. I was basically looking for an upgrade from Vento , here are my initial impressions ,

Creta was displayed next to the new i20 and i20 cross. I felt they both looked better than Creta

I didn't like the bulging headlamp design . i20's headlights looked more classy

Seats were too small for an SUV. I wasn't happy with Vento seats but this was not even close

Boot space was cramped. I could be wrong but again I felt Vento had more practical space

Interiors were nice but didn't meet my upgrade expectations , I also own i10 grand so my comparison was easier.

I immediately went and checked out new Elantra interiors , Woh was my immediate reaction. May be my expectations were not reasonable from Creta.

Did not bother to drive due to these first impressions. I could be biased since I always thought of an upgrade to Jetta /Octavia. Would like to hear comments from other Vento owners.
newway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 19:28   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNM View Post
I don't know if you have just paid the booking amount. I have paid in full and being fooled.
In my place, almost all models except the Automatic and all colours except White are available within the week, if one is willing to make the full payment.

I say this because I contacted the nearby dealer, and they were really enthusiastic for getting my sale.

The executive was very clear on two counts:

1) The Automatic variant has a 3 month waiting period.
2) White colour is not readily available- not surprising that our region has a preference for white vehicles, even in scooters and motorcycles.

He promised to give the to- the minute stock position on colours and variants at the time of payment, and provided that I stick on to the variant / colour I chose when making the payment, assured delivery within the week.

On PDI, it is always available on request before RTO/ Insurance, and if not satisfied with the particular car, then of course either the variant / colour preference has to be amended or wait for the next lot.
Yeldo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 22:08   #1431
BHPian

No initial ownership reports from the proud new owners?
Was hoping to get some detailed views before the official review comes out.
Old 1st August 2015, 22:15   #1432
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Thank you my good friend! Always appreciate your views and analysis.

So by the way, my Dad and I toddled across to Hyundai today since we were breakfasting nearby this morning.

Went and saw the Creta and spent a little time sitting in it and fiddling about.

Very frankly, had I been upgrading now from my Scorpio, I would very seriously have considered the Creta Top Spec and probably the AT version. I like it a lot indeed. Thank heavens they put the 1.6 petrol, the 1.4 and 1.6 Diesels in this vehicle! Anything less would have been seriously gutless!

Saying that, I sat in all the seats and fiddled with the vehicle a bit. I did not take it for a TD because the showroom was crowded and in the city centre so it would not have been much fun anyway with all the traffic.

I found the seats comfortable in the front but not at the rear - mostly on account of under thigh support. My Dad who is 6 ft tall himself also felt the same. The rear waistline of the vehicle is quite high and the front door pad/ armrest is also quite high so even for a person of my height, I found it a bit un-ergonomic compared to my Yeti. Yes I agree that the glass house of the Yeti is better making for greater visibility. The plastics etc of the Creta feel ok but not as premium as the Yeti. The height of the vehicle, the size of the wheels/ tyres etc seem perfectly suitable and nice. The Ground clearance is also looking very purposeful for our horrid roads.

I felt sorry that they didn't offer even an option with 4WD and I do not like the fact of rear drum brakes - they could quite easily have knocked it up a notch by offering rear discs like they do in the 1.4 AT I20. Also I don't like the fact that the AT version does not have the possibility of getting all the Options of the SX+ (O). Thats sad. Why do they short change the AT buyer I wonder?
I also don't like the fact that none of these vehicles seem to have the option of Passenger seat height adjustment like my Yeti has! That is SUCH a GOOD FEATURE! Especially for elderly people who require a raised height!
The doors close with a reasonably reassuring thunk but sadly, this is nowhere near the Vault like THUNK of the European cars.

One more point is that if one thinks back to 10 years ago when Hyundai launched their Tucson in India as a serious competitor to the Honda CRV, that Tucson used to cost about 15 lacs ex showroom which worked up to about 18 lacs on Road. The Creta which is one segment lower than the Tucson, 10 years later, is priced at the same level. Is this the value for the rupee going down or the general cost of all vehicles going up? One would imagine that with increased manufacturing and increased competition the prices would show some downward trend but it looks like this is not going to happen!

The safety kit in the form of 6 Airbags and ABS, EBD, Vehicle Stability Control, Lane Change Assist, Hill Hold etc are great features in this vehicle. In my opinion they could quite easily have brought in a higher spec with perhaps 8 Airbags and rear discs and so on for a Lakh more. Because the new Yeti is priced at 27.5 on road Bangalore and it would not be a bad thing to pay say 18.5 for a really Super Spec Creta.

All other typical features of most Hyundai cars are there and the vehicle really is well loaded anyway. I like that a lot about Hyundai. They load their vehicles well. Maruti is seriously El Cheapo in comparison!

The Creta is clearly a very good value for money product and indeed, in my book it is clearly a way superior choice for people who are City SUV/ CUV/ Soft Roader users. It offers a lot compared with the Scorpio, EcoSport and the Duster and even the XUV500. I like its compact proportions and overall ergonomics. I like the seating height and commanding view and sense of space inside the vehicle. I checked the boot and I do like the fact that I can surely fit in my golf bag diagonally and my trolley on top of it.

It would be an excellent choice for me and my wife, had we not already bought the Yeti. Basically, having gotten used to the Yeti over 4 years of peaceful and enjoyable ownership, I would not be able to go back to a Korean or Japanese vehicle very easily any more.

The Hyundai Elite Active now seems a completely stupid car, when viewed next to the Creta - but then, it comes at a very easy price point. The Elite Active and Elite itself are badly underpowered with those idiotic 1.2 litre petrol engines. My Dad's I20 Asta also has that gutless engine which I dislike intensely. I wish truly that when I bought that, I had just chosen to go with the AT with the 1.4 petrol engine! Real regret there!

I guess the only vehicle which will score over this Creta and only specifically in terms of ride and handling and probably general toughness, would be the Duster whose suspension is superb beyond belief. The Duster even rides better than the Yeti for sure and thats the only real advantage, apart from it being cheaper and more spacious.

But at the end of the day, as a Yeti owner, the only few vehicles that I could probably consider upgrading to right now are;
1. The Audi Q3
2. The VW Tiguan whenever it comes
3. The Mercedes GLA (which I really loved in all respects except for lack of a 4WD version)
4. The Mini Cooper (not the Countryman but hopefully the "S" 3 door version) - because it is simply my favourite little car.
However, right now I haven't got the money and I haven't even got the inclination to think about an upgrade because I am just perfectly happy with my little Yeti. I hope to be able to allow it to get quite long in the tooth before putting it out to pasture.

Saying all of the above, I think Hyundai really has a winner on its hands with the Creta and anyone in the market now, who is looking for a vehicle of this class and price point/ segment, would do very well indeed to buy the Creta.

Clearly it is bye bye to the Scorpio, XUV, Duster and EcoSport. All these vehicles will surely and certainly and indisputably feel the heat from now onwards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Shankar,

The Creta is designed for average Indian Heights and I would say it is ideal for people in the height range of 5'4" -5' 10". Beyond this either way people would be uncomfortable. The seats to floor distance is less than the Yeti (even with the seat Height raised all the way up). The headroom is also less than the Yeti (at least 4' less). So people with more than 6' feet will be less comfortable in the Creta than the Yeti. The Yeti is typically designed for European heights (6 feet +) and has good seat to floor distances (hence better under thigh support) and much more headroom - in my case I have almost 6 Inches of clear headroom above my head in the Yeti (I am 5' 8"). In the Creta it was 3" above my head in the position I was comfortable in. The driving position in the Creta is slightly reclined, as it is with Sedans and not like the Yeti's upright driving position.
For someone who is used to the Yeti, the Creta will feel like a little step down as the black interiors also make it feel claustrophobic. The Yeti also has a larger Glass area - Front Windshield, Front Windows and Rear Windows and rear Quarter glass and rear windshield - they all make the Yeti feel more open and adds Light. In the Creta, all of these are much smaller.
Attachment 1397517

Last edited by shankar.balan : 1st August 2015 at 22:43.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 22:24   #1433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylife_myrules View Post
And now I also know why the prices of Hyundai is going up and up… documented proof above.

Pictures Source : Product Guide of Hyundai Creta.
Other than styling with the new fluidic design, I do not see why Hyundai suddenly considers it premium compared to others. Hyundai has been selling by giving more features compared to competition. Value for money product with good after sales support. It cannot just change it value proposition by advertising, without a clear differentiation with the other vehicles compared to in the brochure. It cannot just command a premium which is not even justifiable for a German manufacturer. I think the current pricing for Creta will backfire once the hype is over. There is no doubt that the product is very good, but the strategy is doubtful and shows signs of greediness.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 23:28   #1434
Senior - BHPian

I believe Hyundai knows what they are doing.

They are just taking advantage of the huge demand in the compact SUV segment and the lack of good competition. The only real alternatives in this segment are the Duster and the Terrano. And Hyundai knows it more than anyone else that those 2 cars are really short on features, interior quality, brand image and A.S.S. The Ecosport is clearly a segment lower and the XUV is way too big for many (including myself). That's why Hyundai have priced the Creta the way they have. And if the interest in this thread and the number of bookings is anything to go by, Hyundai has a blockbuster on their hands.
And I am sure Hyundai is going to enjoy huge margins on the Creta.

Consider a person like me.. I am actually interested in upgrading to this segment (not immediately though). For me, I will not touch the Renault or Nissan just because of the spartan interiors and the unproven A.S.S. XUV is a behemoth and I won't even go anywhere near it. So, Creta is my only option. The S-cross looks to be a good package but it looks way too bland for me and nowhere close to a SUV (and the boot space is a huge letdown). Hyundai knows this and that's why the premium.

The only way the pricing in this segment is going to rationalize is more competition and established players like Honda/Toyota/Maruti jumping in it. I believe this segment is going to be red hot in the coming years.

On a different note, I wonder if Creta is going to affect only the Dusters and the Ecosports only or it is also going to impact the C/C+ segment sedans. I would think the answer is a YES.

Last edited by adimicra : 1st August 2015 at 23:29.
adimicra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 00:46   #1435
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

QSo Creta is selling the logic of it being a premium feature rich SUV above 4 meters but then
1) what is its water wading depth? EcoSport is at 500mm most others who don't give a figure or do are at 300-350? It is a hidden ability but a requisite of SUVs.
2) 4x4 does Creta have that ability then? Duster does as do the XUV, Scorpio and Storme
3) Ground clearance? Decent but not best in class.
4) Feature Rich? YES but so is the EcoSport and also the XUV and besides features do not a SUV make.
5) And the Creta AT is in some ways at a lower feature spec level than the EcoSport and Scorpio AT

The segmentation, positioning and role charts are more ways to market and hence price let's not get swayed by it. Which SUV ability does the Creta have more than the ones it calls Sport Styled SUVs?

Is it a genuine 5 seater? 4.5 is neither here nor there.

Make no mistake. I rate it to be a superb vehicle and yet feel it as also the duster and terrano are overpriced by 1.5-2L each.

Last edited by ACM : 2nd August 2015 at 00:55.
ACM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 02:14   #1436
BHPian

This car has a very good looking front end. It is very similar to the SantaFe Sport in the US Personally, I think it is a great design. Take a look at the Santa Fe sport Gallery

In India, it is a positioning error to place this close to XUV or above Safari Storme. Consumer will never see the rationale, beyond the initial euphoria.

At XUV level pricing, this is not going to make it.

What do you all think?

Last edited by BurningHeart : 2nd August 2015 at 02:23.
Old 2nd August 2015, 06:35   #1437
BANNED

Valid points but I will add a few thoughts here.

1. How many times in one's life does one expect to wade through 500mm plus of water? - for the average city dwelling young urban couple who probably have one kid, who are most likely to buy this SUV type vehicle, this feature is irrelevant.
2. We know the consumer in India prefers an "SUV" look but is not bothered really about the performance of the SUV kind!
3. 180mm GC is perfectly acceptable. Even the Scorpio has the same GC.
4. Hyundai has a habit of loading their cars with features calculated to appeal to the Indian consumer - and the best thing is that all these features work well - unlike the XUV etc which are slightly suspect. I agree about the EcoSport having good features but I think Hyundai has an edge here.
5. I agree that the Creta AT could have been offered with all the features of the SX+(O) which they haven't done. This is a foolish strategy by Hyundai and even Maruti wherein they always compromise on the AT's features - almost as if to say that the AT Buyer should be happy with just the AT and to the exclusion of some extra features especially the top spec safety kit. Thats irritating.
6. The Creta, like most vehicles in its segment is actually a comfy 4 seater for a small urban family. It is silly to market these types of vehicles as 5 seaters and even sillier to put those stupid jump seats or tiny benches in the last row and call vehicles such as these, 7 or 8 seaters. That 7-8 seater game, even in a larger vehicle like the Scorpio, XUV and so on, is a mere ploy and it is seriously unsafe and uncomfortable too - no normal human should be made to sit in that last row - even in the Innova or Lodgy or Xylo or Duster/ Terrano or indeed any other that last row is claustrophobic and anyway it seriously compromises luggage space. It is about time that Indians realised this fact.

Overall I really like the Creta for what it is except for the few things I ve mentioned in my earlier post such as;
1. Lack of height adjustable passenger seats
2. Quality of plastics and interiors compared with the Europeans
3. The vehicle should have had more safety by way of more airbags
4. It should have come with 4WD atleast as "Optional"
5. It definitely should have had rear disc brakes instead of drums.

and a few others which you can read in my post.

Saying that, this is easily one of the best VFM products available in the market now and knowing the Indian public they are voting with a resounding YAY, from the bottom of their wallets. Hyundai will trump the other manufacturers for sure in terms of sales of the Creta.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
QSo Creta is selling the logic of it being a premium feature rich SUV above 4 meters but then
1) what is its water wading depth? EcoSport is at 500mm most others who don't give a figure or do are at 300-350? It is a hidden ability but a requisite of SUVs.
2) 4x4 does Creta have that ability then? Duster does as do the XUV, Scorpio and Storme
3) Ground clearance? Decent but not best in class.
4) Feature Rich? YES but so is the EcoSport and also the XUV and besides features do not a SUV make.
5) And the Creta AT is in some ways at a lower feature spec level than the EcoSport and Scorpio AT

The segmentation, positioning and role charts are more ways to market and hence price let's not get swayed by it. Which SUV ability does the Creta have more than the ones it calls Sport Styled SUVs?

Is it a genuine 5 seater? 4.5 is neither here nor there.

Make no mistake. I rate it to be a superb vehicle and yet feel it as also the duster and terrano are overpriced by 1.5-2L each.
shankar.balan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 07:29   #1438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
At XUV level pricing, this is not going to make it.

What do you all think?
I saw both Creta and SCross. Compared to XUV, these do seem to be overpriced for their size!
Old 2nd August 2015, 07:43   #1439
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
I saw both Creta and SCross. Compared to XUV, these do seem to be overpriced for their size!
This is the age of the compact SUV/ CUV.
Given the state of chaos in our Indian cities, most urban dwellers will choose a smaller compact SUV type vehicle over the larger ones, especially when considering that most young urban families are typically a husband, wife and one kid and the fact that they crave something out of the ordinary in terms of the vehicle they drive.
Couple this with a desire for a little adventure, a little space, the SUV lifestyle and the state of our roads, the compact SUV is here to stay.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 08:09   #1440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

The segmentation, positioning and role charts are more ways to market and hence price let's not get swayed by it. Which SUV ability does the Creta have more than the ones it calls Sport Styled SUVs? .

Nice post- you've asked all the right questions. Though I like the Creta and it has obviously got more than its fair share of attention at launch, given that Hyundai is marketing it as "the perfect SUV" the question I have been asking myself is, is the Creta even an SUV?
noopster is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks