Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2015, 16:37   #16
BHPian

Re: Fooled around & fell in love! Our Polar White Hyundai Elite i20 Asta CRDi

Sourav, kudos on a really nice writeup. Maybe you should try writing a novel one of these days - you have the flair for sure.

The CRDi is the only engine I, a self professed enthusiast, would ever look at from Hyundai. Right from the days of the Accent CRDi - they are in a league apart, and worth every extra buck you pay. The Elite has improved handling and so on as well, so you have a really smart car in your hands. Wishing you lots of happy, smiling miles ahead!
anshuman_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 17:54   #17

Congratulations on your new car!! Must say that it was a very vivid and excellent writeup. Your H VS M narration actually felt like my best friend trying to give me practical advise when I tend to go overboard with things Have fun and all the best dude!
Maverick14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 18:55   #18
BHPian

Congratulations on your new Car

Nice writing there mate. Head Vs Heart battle as always, Final line is that which one of them made the choice, It is a choice made spot on. Elite i20 seems THE car to buy in that segment. Looks superb in white !

Wishing you a pleasant and trouble free ownership.

Drive safe, Enjoy Resposibily.

Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 20:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying & living with the car they both like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post

The variant booked was Asta, as safety was paramount & we needed a car with a minimum of 2 airbags & ABS as standard, and it came loaded with all creature comforts.
Congrats sourav9385 on your latest acquisition and as I have always maintained, Elite looks the Best in White !!

Quote:

Seatbelt reminder bongs 5 times if it doesn’t detect the driver belting up. Then it becomes a steady blink-blink on the dashboard. 10 points off for that. It should have been a steady bong if the driver did not belt up and start driving.
My bro owns the I-gen and believe me when I say this, you wouldn't want that beep. I completely understand where you coming from with respect to safety, but its way too annoying. I have a feeling that Hyundai may have taking a leaf out of Maruti here, where Swift has the same thingy going.

Either ways, its way better than my VW, who consider belting up as obvious as unlocking the car to get in/out. In other words, you don't get a visual or audio indication of seat belt at all !!
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 21:24   #20
BHPian

Congratulations sourav9385. Lovely writeup indeed.

I, for now have booked i20 Asta petrol but there's a constant war brewing up between M and H related to petrol or diesel. You see my usage is going to be less (<15 kms per day) but the sheer refinement of diesel is driving me nuts - experienced during test drives!
anupams is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 22:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik2772 View Post
...I liked your style of writing, crisp and full of humour. It was definitely a change after reading other ownership reviews, which focus on what already has been said in the detailed official review. Not that they are bad, just that this one was a class apart!...
Thanks mate! Glad you liked my style of writing, even though I don't exactly have a style of writing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
...Perfect logic. This is the reason that even people who think themselves to be petrolheads (me, me!) end up buying cars like this. In the end, we are normal people leading normal daily lives, and we need a car which gives us the maximum comfort and value-for-money...
Thanks mate! Glad to know you liked reading my thread.

Your thread is an absolute must read for anyone who is considering getting the i20. In-fact, I read your thread multiple times when we were test driving the cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
... I ask because I thought using the fuel indicator to approximate mileage is inaccurate.
Thanks mate!

Yes, you are correct. It is just an guess-timate for now. Once the car goes through a full tankful of diesel, I'll have a better handle on the actual fuel efficiency. But for now, the guess-timate will suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
...First of all, Heartiest congratulations.
You can try an OBD II reader to read the Distance to empty indicator.
Thanks Munnabhai!

I tried searching for the OBD scanner that's mentioned in Anurag's thread, but it seems no one in India has stock of it. And, it seems it doesn't retail for $50 anywhere, as far as I can see. I could be wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
Sourav, kudos on a really nice writeup. Maybe you should try writing a novel one of these days - you have the flair for sure.
Thanks mate!

I have a knack for making a joke or two, but that was really funny!

I'm glad you liked my write-up. I had decided not to pen my review the usual way, and I guess the mind v/s matter way seemed the only way to go about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick14 View Post
Congratulations on your new car!!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Congratulations on your new Car

Nice writing there mate.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Congrats sourav9385 on your latest acquisition and ...In other words, you don't get a visual or audio indication of seat belt at all !!
Thanks mate!

Yes, that is weird. I just wish cars were designed in such a way now, that you couldn't drive the damn thing unless number of people in the car = number of seatbelts locked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupams View Post
Congratulations sourav9385. Lovely writeup indeed.

I, for now have booked i20 Asta petrol but there's a constant war brewing up between M and H related to petrol or diesel. You see my usage is going to be less (<15 kms per day) but the sheer refinement of diesel is driving me nuts - experienced during test drives!
Thanks mate, and congratulations on booking the i20!

Well, whichever way you look at it, the i20 diesel is a pretty good buy.

The petrol is very refined, but it just doesn't make sense buying it, even when you factor in the cost difference.
And if you do belong to the EMI junta, then the per month difference in cost is negligible.
Not to forget, the diesel has a really good fuel efficiency of around 18 in the city, compared to the petrol which will give at the best around 12-14 in the city.
sourav9385 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 09:18   #22
BHPian

Congrats on the new car and the fantastic writeup. Drive safe for miles and more miles. Do update the thread with more of your excellent writing as you enjoy the car.
basilmabraham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 11:14   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a very nice writeup, and congrats on the car, wish you happy motoring

"Ferrari 275 GTS that had milk bottle tops for brakes, a mis-aligned propshaft, and you drove it once a year maybe, it would make you feel special"
Marathon watch in top gear for a few days and I know where the above lines come from.
DicKy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 11:39   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
That's a very nice writeup, and congrats on the car, wish you happy motoring

"Ferrari 275 GTS that had milk bottle tops for brakes, a mis-aligned propshaft, and you drove it once a year maybe, it would make you feel special"
Marathon watch in top gear for a few days and I know where the above lines come from.
Thanks mate!

Yes, I know I borrowed those lines from Jezza. But they make so much sense!

I used to be incredibly passionate about automobiles, and used to mirror Jezza's sentiments on diesel being the fuel of Satan.

But one ride in the i20 diesel was enough to clear that misconception.

Yes, it doesn't rev like a Palio, or a Civic, but its pretty darn good for a diesel!

And if you factor in the fact that you can go nearly a 1000 kms on a tank of diesel, then its the deal of the century!
sourav9385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 15:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sourav on your acquisition. It sure is a looker and I never thought i would say this for a 9lac hatch that its value for money car.

I currently have a 3 yr old Figo which I dont have plans of changing, but in my mind I am more or less certain that 2-3 yrs down the line when I consider change the top hatch of choice would be i20. By then it would have even undergone some minor cosmetic upgrades.

Great writeup as well. Thoroughly enjoyed reading the heart vs mind which we all go through
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 21:44   #26
BHPian

You think heart vs mind was difficult? Try the same with heart vs mind vs wife.

Excellent write-up. I was chortling through most of it. The i20 is a great purchase and coincidentally I also had the same experience while test driving the petrol variant. You floor the accelerator and it takes its own sweet time to get a move on.
gaurav_3000ad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 09:29   #27
BHPian

Great write up. The Elite i20 is a very good choice.
Off topic, your heart seems to have more sense than your mind.
Lakshman1645 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 11:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride. The i20 is sure one heck of looker!

The image where you're playing Guns & Roses - Sweet Child of mine is rather befitting to the whole story behind your narration as is well to the car itself, isn't it?

Drive safe.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 15th July 2015 at 11:53.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 12:45   #29
BHPian

Hi Sorav congratulation for new set of wheels
i was smitten by the same bug and settled for the same choice ASTA CRDI,what is your experience with the smart key ,if it is not in the pocket and you are still driving the car does it stop or gives warning after a distance?
vc.vinay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 13:37   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Congrats Sourav on your acquisition. It sure is a looker and I never thought i would say this for a 9lac hatch that its value for money car...Great writeup as well. Thoroughly enjoyed reading the heart vs mind which we all go through
Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_3000ad View Post
You think heart vs mind was difficult? Try the same with heart vs mind vs wife.

Excellent write-up. I was chortling through most of it...
Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshman1645 View Post
Great write up. The Elite i20 is a very good choice.
Off topic, your heart seems to have more sense than your mind.
Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Congratulations on your new ride. The i20 is sure one heck of looker! The image where you're playing Guns & Roses - Sweet Child of mine is rather befitting to the whole story behind your narration as is well to the car itself, isn't it? Drive safe.
Thanks mate! LOL, I didn't think about that till , but now that you've mentioned it, it does make sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc.vinay View Post
Hi Sorav congratulation for new set of wheels
i was smitten by the same bug and settled for the same choice ASTA CRDI,what is your experience with the smart key ,if it is not in the pocket and you are still driving the car does it stop or gives warning after a distance?
Thanks mate!

As far as I've noticed, if I put the handbrake on and walk out of the car with the fob in my pocket, all I hear is a shrill beep & a warning on the MID: Key not in vehicle.

I've not yet tried driving the car without the key fob in it. But it's something I can experiment on this weekend.

Most Viewed