Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2015, 20:03   #31
BHPian

re: Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!

Congrats on the car.
Looking closely at your thread for the HU impressions. If this is good (primarily in the bluetooth voice department), i might pick it over the rcd510 as advised by Gannu.

Also, do post impressions on the VCDS cable. I've been itching to get one, so ill probably get the one linked in your earlier post
mmridul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 22:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anashku View Post
Do you have any plans to get a reversing camera? I know its not a requirement for an hatch but just curious.
You will hear more about that head unit.
See, I am getting a 7 inch screen, and my head unit has the auto switch option (when put in reverse gear) so it's imperative that a reverse camera will be part of the package for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmridul View Post
Congrats on the car.
Looking closely at your thread for the HU impressions. If this is good (primarily in the bluetooth voice department), i might pick it over the rcd510 as advised by Gannu.

Also, do post impressions on the VCDS cable. I've been itching to get one, so ill probably get the one linked in your earlier post
I am doubtful about it being good in the bluetooth voice department. In fact, I expect it to do horribly in that aspect.

VCDS cable is on it's way. Hope it works. It's a clone.
Old 9th August 2015, 23:17   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I am doubtful about it being good in the bluetooth voice department. In fact, I expect it to do horribly in that aspect.

VCDS cable is on it's way. Hope it works. It's a clone.
Any specific reason you went for the android HU as opposed to the RCD510, since you feel that the bluetooth won't be as good as the OEM part?

Either ways, will wait for your impressions/ review of it.
mmridul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 23:22   #34
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Frank, and welcome to the TSI club.

I must say, your report is very well written and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Loving your mods on the car, especially that steering wheel. Was on the verge of getting one (would have been the 10th in that group buy) but steered clear - pun not intended - citing warranty issues. I'd probably get it soon though.

The brushed aluminum headlight knob is a nice touch too and it's something I'd considered from day one.

Few questions regarding the steering:

- Is it smaller than the stock wheel and if so, by how much?

- is there a wheel available with red backlight for the volume controls and MID toggle? I personally feel the white backlight is a mis-match.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 01:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmridul View Post
Any specific reason you went for the android HU as opposed to the RCD510, since you feel that the bluetooth won't be as good as the OEM part?

Either ways, will wait for your impressions/ review of it.
RCD510 Delphi version doesn't support 'SUPER' bluetooth, which purely means that the caller name doesn't show on the screen. Also, you can access many other basic bluetooth functions in your head unit, other than making and receiving phone calls. If you want to add these features to your RCD510, then you need the Maxidot Cluster that shows all this info on the MID, but still not on the head unit display.
Besides this, Android OS, Better processor, More RAM, More inbuilt memory, Mirroring, Airplay, OBD reader, Full bluetooth functionality, Inbuilt navigation, Wifi hotspot and inbuilt wifi for updation, Reverse Camera, iPod integration, Intuitive USB interface, quicker performance, better touch response, CANBUS integration and better screen resolution are a few of the reasons for opting for that head unit. WHEW! That's not a few! That's a lot of features!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Few questions regarding the steering:

- Is it smaller than the stock wheel and if so, by how much?

- is there a wheel available with red backlight for the volume controls and MID toggle? I personally feel the white backlight is a mis-match.
Yes, it does feel smaller, but I will need to measure the two and tell you. I assure you, it's marginal. But the feel afforded by that aluminium and the contours on that steering are SOMETHING ELSE! Even the buttons are amazingly damped. WAY better than the stock steering wheel.

About the backlight, I fail to agree with you on this. Just see this photo, and you might just like what you see. The steering goes PERFECTLY with the cluster. Everything else may be red, but the stuff you want to see when you are driving is in clear white, and that is what matters. More photos on request... If you want.

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150808_191703.jpeg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150808_191649.jpeg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150808_191645.jpeg
frankmehta is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 15:26   #36
BHPian

Hearty congratulations for owning one of the best hatches in India. I have been owning this little beast for last 18 months(already crossed 40,000 kms).
Every time, I take it to the highway, it brings a wicked smile on my face.

Can you please share the details about the "GTI Wheel"(e.g. sourcing details and the price)?

You could also think of following mods
- Better tyres(P3ST/yoko)
- Petes remap
- Better floor mats
- Better number plates

Note: Also get used to the VW "Car Jack"
Though this is a compact, it is difficult to use(because of the very narrow base). This needs absolute flat non-slippery surface, otherwise the jack may slip. Since I had faced this problem, I have started carrying a small wooden plank.

Last edited by shetty_rohan : 10th August 2015 at 15:36.
shetty_rohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 15:58   #37
BHPian

Excellent Mods and the car looks very exciting. One question about the headlamp switch? Does the "auto" function work? What does it do?
LandCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 16:18   #38
BHPian

Quote:
You will hear more about that head unit.
See, I am getting a 7 inch screen, and my head unit has the auto switch option (when put in reverse gear) so it's imperative that a reverse camera will be part of the package for sure.
Frank you should look for a rear view camera too coz its not included in the package contents on the listing. Also from my experience with Aliexpress, if its not written-don't expect. And if its written then dont let go, you will most likely receive a full/partial refund.
autoholic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 16:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
List of Modifications:

I am going to enable the following:
1. Wiper tear wipe
2. Lane Change indicator from 3 to 4 flashes
3. Rear wiper switch on when car put in reverse gear when front wiper is on
4. Coming home lights
5. Dial Celebration (staging of dials when ignition on)
6. Instantaneous fuel efficiency gauge in Instrument cluster
7. XDS electronic differential lock, which is set at Medium to Strong. This is to enable stronger inner tire braking to prevent understeer while cornering hard.
8. Flashing brake lights on hard braking i.e. when ABS cuts in (currently only turn lights come on)
9. Increase intensity of brake lights (experimental)
In your endeavor to 'un-cost cut' the Indian Polo, may I suggest
a) Euro spec wiper arms with flat click-type blades
b) GTI instrument cluster
c) International Polo LED Headlights

Surely going by your Steering wheel swap, these are a cake walk right?
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 22:18   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Can you please share the details about the "GTI Wheel"(e.g. sourcing details and the price)?

You could also think of following mods
- Better tyres(P3ST/yoko)
- Petes remap
- Better floor mats
- Better number plates

Note: Also get used to the VW "Car Jack"https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=F2NzTeGXlqw
Though this is a compact, it is difficult to use(because of the very narrow base). This needs absolute flat non-slippery surface, otherwise the jack may slip. Since I had faced this problem, I have started carrying a small wooden plank.
Thanks for the video and the good wishes.
About the steering, it was bought in a group buy. 10 GT owners imported a steering wheel from Mexico and I was one of the lucky ones to get it. The cost was quite high! But damn, it's worth it!
I am not keen on changing tires, or getting a remap. Maybe a decat and straight pipe exhaust. My license plates are quite nice, and they have 3D effect to them. They look better in life.
Mats, yes, maybe. But I don't believe in spending astronomical amounts on mats, as is the trend in the market these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Excellent Mods and the car looks very exciting. One question about the headlamp switch? Does the "auto" function work? What does it do?
The headlight I ordered is NON-auto switch and it isn't her yet. I will install individual mods and post photos here.
There IS a switch that comes with the Auto light and rain sensor, but I didn't really need to go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoholic View Post
Frank you should look for a rear view camera too coz its not included in the package contents on the listing. Also from my experience with Aliexpress, if its not written-don't expect. And if its written then dont let go, you will most likely receive a full/partial refund.
When I said it will be part of the package, I implied that I will be installing it for sure. I know for a fact that a camera will not be included in the package, but I have Ajay (SoundsGood -- Bass&trouble on the forum) has some really good HD cameras in stock. I will attach that to my head unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
In your endeavor to 'un-cost cut' the Indian Polo, may I suggest
a) Euro spec wiper arms with flat click-type blades
b) GTI instrument cluster
c) International Polo LED Headlights

Surely going by your Steering wheel swap, these are a cake walk right?

The wiper arms and blades look interesting.
The cluster is on the cards. (maybe the next immediate Mod)
There will NEVER be LED lights, as the BCM needs an upgrade, and I am not keen on messing with the BCM.

I have already procured Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited H7 bulbs and I will be installing them on Wednesday.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 23:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car and nice mods. I however think the Cruze (even at 9kmpl) is more frugal than the GT Polo mainly because the Cruze will still average out ok if you drive enthusiastically a lot, while the petrol GT will drink the far more expensive fuel at the same rate, hence costing you more. Just an opinion. Also the Cruze with Racedynamics in P2 is just plain insane

Quote:
Seats are different for different body structures. My body doesn't take well to the seats.
I have a Rapid, and used to think that the seats are not supportive until I took my wife's advice and reclined the seat a bit more than I am used to, and lowered it to it's lowest position (cos I'm 5'10", I can still see over the dash). This brings a small bump in the backrest in line with the lower back, and also raises the front of seat (relatively) so that you get better under-thigh support. You would have to slide your posterior all the way to the back of the seat, and not sit hunched with the lower back not against the backrest.

I've done 400+kms in a day in this position with one break and no backache at the end of it. Give it a shot while you wait for your new backrest to arrive.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 08:40   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
I however think the Cruze (even at 9kmpl) is more frugal than the GT Polo mainly because the Cruze will still average out ok if you drive enthusiastically a lot, while the petrol GT will drink the far more expensive fuel at the same rate, hence costing you more. Just an opinion. Also the Cruze with Racedynamics in P2 is just plain insane
The Cruze also turned out to be heavier on the pocket wrt maintenance. That huge diesel took almost 6.3 litres of fully synthetic oil and considering that I like changing the oil at 7.5k km in diesel cars, that's steep. Also, all other consumables and spares were super expensive! P2 in the RD box is explosive, but somehow felt like it was too much power for my torque converter to handle and I did feel the transmission slip, in the last few days of her life with me.

GT. Expensive?
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150807_180614.jpg

Quote:
I have a Rapid, and used to think that the seats are not supportive until I took my wife's advice and reclined the seat a bit more than I am used to, and lowered it to it's lowest position (cos I'm 5'10", I can still see over the dash). This brings a small bump in the backrest in line with the lower back, and also raises the front of seat (relatively) so that you get better under-thigh support. You would have to slide your posterior all the way to the back of the seat, and not sit hunched with the lower back not against the backrest.

I've done 400+kms in a day in this position with one break and no backache at the end of it. Give it a shot while you wait for your new backrest to arrive.
I have given this a shot and is the best solution, and though this helps a lot, it's still somehow strains the back.

Meanwhile, I can't get enough of taking photos of her.

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150808_191919.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150808_191929.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150808_192036.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150808_192102.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150808_192124.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150808_192348.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150808_192403.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150808_191715.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150808_191733.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150808_191758.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150808_191810.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150808_191850.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150808_191902.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20150808_191909.jpg
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 09:09   #43
BHPian

Quote:

14. Also, one more niggle. There is a boot open button on the key, but all it does is unlock the boot. Which can be done by the unlock button on the key fob as well. The boot button should raise the boot open by a little, hence increasing the convenience factor.
Keep pressed boot unlock button for few second, boot should release and raised.

Also try this - Keep pressed unlock button for few second, dont release, all window will roll down, and if you keep pressed lock button, all window will roll up.

This feature is present in my Skoda Laura, guessing it should be same for VW Polo.

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 11th August 2015 at 09:16.
Old 11th August 2015, 10:38   #44
BHPian

I drive a 2011 Cruze LT and am looking for a replacement. I test drove the Polo TSI GT on Sunday and liked it a lot, especially the gearbox was brilliant. While I didn't get a chance to drive it too far, I really missed the Cruze's torque while accelerating hard. I would like your perspective on this since you've moved from a Cruze to a Polo TSI.

It is interesting to note that the 0-100 timings of the Cruze and Polo TSI are comparable despite the enormous differences in the power and torque.

I am now waiting to test drive the Punto T-Jet and am also hopeful of seeing the Polo GTI this year to see if they are comparable.
Old 11th August 2015, 12:20   #45
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase!

TSI + DSG is a wonderful combination for both city traffic and highway drives. It's an inevitable addiction that grows with every drive. You have made it even more enjoyable with GTI SW.

I'm eagerly awaiting your HU installation and feedback along with many others here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks