Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2015, 08:58   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!

Replaced the standard mirror glasses from the ORVM to the Anti-Glare ones that just arrived in the mail. Super simple. And yes, THESE WORK! Like crazy! The anti-glare IRVM and ORVM combination is unparalleled when driving at night. It's only when a huge, burly SUV with ultra-bright illegal Hella fogs comes very close to you and flashes their high beam, that there is some sort of glare.
The mirrors supplied in the package from AliExpress are original, and are of very good quality. Bad optics can be spotted quite easily, but this one has even better quality optics than the original mirrors.

Some photos.

PS: That 'tool' used to pry the mirrors open is a cake-batter mixing spatula. It is made of rubber, and I can't think of a better tool to carefully pry the mirrors open without breaking them.
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-img_2222.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-img_2231.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-img_2232.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-img_2223.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-img_2224.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-img_2228.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-img_2229.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-img_2230.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-img_2261.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-img_2262.jpg  

frankmehta is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 08:46   #77
Senior - BHPian

Found a very convenient and practical use of the paddles. Say I'm in d7 at 60 kmph and need to overtake one vehicle or change a Lane, I just shift down two gears (d5) and the relatively sedate and short burst of acceleration is enough to get you past one car. Immediately after that, keep the + button pressed to go back to automatic mode. I've been using 5th gear a lot to make headway in moving traffic without wasting much fuel or kicking down gears.

In other news, I managed to install Here Maps finally for navigation. The inbuilt igo navigation sucks and the maps are crap.
The head unit has a Navi button, as is visible in the pics and the best part is, we can map the button to any navigation app. I've set it to Here maps so I don't have to scramble in menus for it. Attaching a photo and a video. Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-1441163768476.jpg

Haven't had the time for a review guys. But this head unit is outstanding!
The sound quality is great (much better than expected) and the interface is eons better than the generic touch screen interfaces on branded head units.
More on that, soon.
frankmehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 09:10   #78
BHPian

Hi Frank Sir,

Sorry for being late to the party. Congrats on buying the GT! Wish you loads of happy and safe miles. The TSI+DSG combo will keep you happy for years to come.

That was one sweet review! Straight from the heart- loved reading it. Superb mods you have done out there! You have some taste in after market accessories Sir. I will hit you up when we decide to spruce up our Classic 1.6.

One question to you: from a pure driving pleasure point of view, which one would you pick? Your erstwhile Fiesta 1.6 S or your new baby, the GT TSI?

Regards,
Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 10:34   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Found a very convenient and practical use of the paddles. Say I'm in d7 at 60 kmph and need to overtake one vehicle or change a Lane, I just shift down two gears (d5) and the relatively sedate and short burst of acceleration is enough to get you past one car. Immediately after that, keep the + button pressed to go back to automatic mode. I've been using 5th gear a lot to make headway in moving traffic without wasting much fuel or kicking down gears.

In other news, I managed to install Here Maps finally for navigation. The inbuilt igo navigation sucks and the maps are crap.
The head unit has a Navi button, as is visible in the pics and the best part is, we can map the button to any navigation app. I've set it to Here maps so I don't have to scramble in menus for it. Attaching a photo and a video. Attachment 1409669

Haven't had the time for a review guys. But this head unit is outstanding!
The sound quality is great (much better than expected) and the interface is eons better than the generic touch screen interfaces on branded head units.
More on that, soon.

Awesome! I have been waiting to hear this from you.

Couple of questions:

How easy was the installation?

I am sure this is going to void the warranty and this is why I am a bit vary. What's the point of getting extended warranty if I void it by installing this.

But if the installation is simple plug and play and can be exchanged with stock rcd 310 before the servicing and they wont come to know, then I think there is a strong case to go ahead with this

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd September 2015 at 17:35. Reason: Removing video from the quoted post.
#ish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 17:32   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
One question to you: from a pure driving pleasure point of view, which one would you pick? Your erstwhile Fiesta 1.6 S or your new baby, the GT TSI?

Regards,
Neel

The 1.6S handled like a dream. For everything else, I'd go back to the Polo GT TSI. She's DEFINITELY and already the best car that I have ever owned and my most favourite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ish View Post
Awesome! I have been waiting to hear this from you.

Couple of questions:

How easy was the installation?

I am sure this is going to void the warranty and this is why I am a bit vary. What's the point of getting extended warranty if I void it by installing this.

But if the installation is simple plug and play and can be exchanged with stock rcd 310 before the servicing and they wont come to know, then I think there is a strong case to go ahead with this
PLUG AND PLAY! Socket to socket! Go for it!
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 11:58   #81
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any recommendations for a professional, free flow exhaust?
I want to decat and I don't want the car to make noise.
The performance exhaust needs to up just that, the performance. I don't even mind if it sounds stock.

Any heads-up?
Old 3rd September 2015, 12:17   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The performance exhaust needs to up just that, the performance. I don't even mind if it sounds stock.

Any heads-up?
Hi Frank! The car is looking great and I love the mods so far.

For a FFE you can look at this thread. In my opinion this is one of the best GT TSI's I have ever seen and he has gone the whole distance to get his car modded. You are heading in almost the same direction. . As far as I know this BHP'ian also lives in Mumbai. He got his FFE from Red Rooster. Pete's is also an option. Both are available in Mumbai as far as I know.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-modified.html
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 12:32   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Any heads-up?
Go in for a proper branded exhaust bro.

When it comes to VAG cars REMUS & MILLTEK are really good & they surely make some TIGHT sound which is very sporty & definitely not loud. Not sure wether they do 1.2 TSI but check on their website or email them to get more info.

SUPERSPRINT is also another superb option but is definitely expensive. Check here;

http://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/vw-...-hp-2009-.aspx
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 13:20   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Hi Frank! The car is looking great and I love the mods so far.

For a FFE you can look at this thread. In my opinion this is one of the best GT TSI's I have ever seen and he has gone the whole distance to get his car modded. You are heading in almost the same direction. . As far as I know this BHP'ian also lives in Mumbai. He got his FFE from Red Rooster. Pete's is also an option. Both are available in Mumbai as far as I know.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-modified.html
Yes, thanks. He is a friend, but I never noticed his thread on Team-Bhp. Looks great. I shall ask him for further information on the exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Go in for a proper branded exhaust bro.

When it comes to VAG cars REMUS & MILLTEK are really good & they surely make some TIGHT sound which is very sporty & definitely not loud. Not sure wether they do 1.2 TSI but check on their website or email them to get more info.

SUPERSPRINT is also another superb option but is definitely expensive. Check here;

http://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/vw-...-hp-2009-.aspx
Supersprint will work out phenomenally more expensive when shipped to India and we still need to factor in duties.

I was looking at Automech or RRP or something similar... Support is also an issue with imported exhausts. I'll stick to a local, but big guns.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 13:28   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Supersprint will work out phenomenally more expensive when shipped to India and we still need to factor in duties.

I was looking at Automech or RRP or something similar... Support is also an issue with imported exhausts. I'll stick to a local, but big guns.
Oops ! Well with the amount of mods done & planned i thought Dr Frank Mehta has deep pockets to absorb the cost of a SUPERSPRINT Exhaust

So yes if on a budget Automech or RRP should work well too
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 21:12   #86
BHPian

Do check out International Exhaust systems in Kondhwa, Pune. I have seen them do some very precise work.
Old 4th September 2015, 11:44   #87
BHPian

Congrats Frank on your new acquisition.

I am moving from my Vento 1.6 TDI to 1.2 TSI. I have a witson unit in my old vento and it never gave me any trouble in the last 4.5 years. I was looking for a similar unit for my new TSI and came across your post. Did not think twice , went ahead and ordered a unit immediately. Thanks a lot for all the research.

Can you provide me more info on Heremaps. How much did it cost ?. I am also planning to get a map this time.
Old 4th September 2015, 15:58   #88
Senior - BHPian

Here maps is free. Totally free. You just need to download Here maps app on your phone and your head unit and download the maps ONLY ON TO YOUR PHONE.
Then you copy the same maps on the phone to that of your head unit micro SD card from root/android/data/com.here.maps folder into the same root/android/data folder of the head unit.

That's it. Start here maps on your head unit and you have offline navigation when you need it.

Also, a tip. Switch on your head unit wifi and use your mobile wifi Hotspot while navigating so you get live traffic updates. It won't use much data.

Here maps is very good. But so is Google maps. But Google maps uses a lot of data. Hence I use here maps.

For those that didn't understand, ask me again. I'll explain the procedure in a slightly easier way.

In other news, received two more packages today.
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-1441362085598.jpg

Installed both.
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-1441362147262.jpg
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-1441362123476.jpg
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-1441362480522.jpg
Attachment 1410483Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-1441362171872.jpg
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-1441362199352.jpg

Quality of the new chrome knob is substandard and I will now invest in auto headlight with the original brushed aluminum knob. The chrome one is made in China while the 'cheapo' one we have, is made in Spain. The tactile response of the Spanish original light is way better, and so is the click. The Chinese one just looks better.

Dome Light install was also done but I didn't take a photo as I didn't have my phone.

Also, the advantage of this dome light is 3 bulbs. So when you open the door, you have three bulbs lighting the cabin as opposed to one in the current cheap cut price dome light.
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-1441362327652.jpg  

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-1441362456072.jpg  

Last edited by frankmehta : 4th September 2015 at 16:00.
frankmehta is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 18:23   #89
BHPian

Thanks frank for heremap answers. How many days did it take to get the delivery of the head unit from China.
newway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 19:56   #90
BHPian

Quote:

In other news, received two more packages today.

Installed both.

Dome Light install was also done but I didn't take a photo as I didn't have my phone.

Also, the advantage of this dome light is 3 bulbs. So when you open the door, you have three bulbs lighting the cabin as opposed to one in the current cheap cut price dome light.
Hey so i check out the link where you ordered the dome light. There's a beige and grey option. Which one did you choose? which goes better with the car interior?
vinj14 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks