Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2015, 13:08   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamsukh View Post
Thanks Frank for your inputs. Its sad to know that the inbuilt microphone & external one supplied by them doesn't do the job well. Do let us know how the Olympus Microphone works.

One more query - where did you fix the gps antenna in the car? Want to avoid keeping it on the dash and would prefer to put it out of sight. But doubt it will work without line of sight.

They are apparently shipping an OBD Bluetooth with the device as well.
There is NO bluetooth OBD in the package. You need to buy it separately, unless you bought from another seller.

My GPS receiver is on the right corner of the dash and is non-obtrusive and invisible, since it is partly hidden by the Emission Control stickers and the RFID tags. It's on the extreme corner of the dash as it requires unfettered view of the sky.
The receiver itself catches range very quick and by the time the car is out of the garage I already have a satellite lock.
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 16:04   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
There is NO bluetooth OBD in the package. You need to buy it separately, unless you bought from another seller.
Well I negotiated with the seller for discounts and they gave me a free Bluetooth OBD with the unit instead of reducing the price.

Thanks for the tip on the GPS module placement.

Finally where do you recommend getting it installed and how much did it cost you for installation.
Old 25th October 2015, 16:16   #138
Senior - BHPian

Ok that's a good thing. I've bought lots of stuff from AliExpress and never negotiated. I guess it's the impatience to just click and buy it.
If you're from a major city, any good, competent installer.
If Mumbai, I'll tell you.. In the mobile app, I can't see where you're from.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 18:33   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Ok that's a good thing. I've bought lots of stuff from AliExpress and never negotiated. I guess it's the impatience to just click and buy it.
If you're from a major city, any good, competent installer.
If Mumbai, I'll tell you.. In the mobile app, I can't see where you're from.
One of the good feature I realized of buying from Aliexpress is that you can chat with the seller and negotiate to either provide discounts or give some freebies along with it.

Yes I am from Mumbai hence please let me know the place and costs so that I goto the guys who have done it earlier and have the requisite know how. Thanks!
Jamsukh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 00:15   #140
Senior - BHPian

Exciting New Updates(ordered and awaiting installation!):

1. VW Polo GTI Highline Cluster

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-img_8871.jpg
2. NEW Golf Brushed Aluminium Headlight Switch with Auto Headlight Sensor

Name:  Screen Shot 20151028 at 00.12.33.png
Views: 4862
Size:  440.0 KB
3. Cruise Control Retrofit!
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-2015vwpolocruisecontrolforindia.jpg
frankmehta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 08:02   #141
BHPian

Congrats frank! High line Cluster from where? It requires adaptation using vas. Make sure your service centre guys are willing to do the adaptation before you buy one.
vinj14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 09:18   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Congrats frank! High line Cluster from where? It requires adaptation using vas. Make sure your service centre guys are willing to do the adaptation before you buy one.
I have spoken to my dealership. I will try to get it done there only. But if they don't I will try and see if VAGTune helps me out.
Old 28th October 2015, 10:11   #143
BHPian

Hi Frank, can you pl share the link for Headlight Switch.
If you are purchasing all via online, it will be great if you can post the links (like you have provided earlier).
petrol_power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 14:43   #144
BHPian

Hi Frank,

I have the thank you for this brilliant thread. I have just become an official member of the forum. However, i have been reading your thread from before that. I am also a potential polo GT TSI/Vento TSI buyer and wanted to check with you on a couple of things.

1) I know you have mentioned a few times regarding the FE that you are currently getting, however i have noticed that most your driving has been on the eastern freeway in Bombay. I on the other hand drive for about 14-15 kms on the western expressway everyday in peak traffic both ways. So have you made any observations of FE in long bumper to bumper traffic?

2) Have you had a chance to drive the Vento TSI? If yes, in your opinion is there a major different in the driving dynamics (read: that awesome feeling one gets in the GT TSI) between the two cars other than the obvious that the GT TSI is a smaller car with the same engine+gearbox
DevSoms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 12:31   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Hi Frank, can you pl share the link for Headlight Switch.
If you are purchasing all via online, it will be great if you can post the links (like you have provided earlier).
For the switch (thanks, Gannu_1)
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/vw-la...024577706.html

For the sensor:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-...307229730.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevSoms View Post
Hi Frank,

I have the thank you for this brilliant thread. I have just become an official member of the forum. However, i have been reading your thread from before that. I am also a potential polo GT TSI/Vento TSI buyer and wanted to check with you on a couple of things.

1) I know you have mentioned a few times regarding the FE that you are currently getting, however i have noticed that most your driving has been on the eastern freeway in Bombay. I on the other hand drive for about 14-15 kms on the western expressway everyday in peak traffic both ways. So have you made any observations of FE in long bumper to bumper traffic?

2) Have you had a chance to drive the Vento TSI? If yes, in your opinion is there a major different in the driving dynamics (read: that awesome feeling one gets in the GT TSI) between the two cars other than the obvious that the GT TSI is a smaller car with the same engine+gearbox

Thanks for the kind words. I have also driven on the horrid, nightmarish western suburb traffic more often, lately, and my trip average falls drastically when waiting in traffic with the air-conditioning on. But, the engine is so frugal and efficient on the move, that I make up for it on open stretches by driving at 60 kmph in D7. Invariably, I end up with double digits. Which is AMAZING for the crap that is western suburb traffic.

I drove the Vento, but the GT has a charm to it. The Vento is also fun, but it's slightly heavier, and slightly bigger. SO there is an edge to the GT. All TSI's are not GT's, so the adage goes!
Old 29th October 2015, 13:50   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Our cars don't come with Optical parking sensors anymore. So the unit doesn't display that on the screen. With the rear cameras, you don't need that display anymore.
Hi Frank,

Wanted a clarification. Is the reverse parking sensor setup that comes in the GT TSi (the one that gives beeps if there is an object), different from OPS setup?
Old 29th October 2015, 14:14   #147
Senior - BHPian

So I've heard. I doubt they are OPS.
But i will connect my VCDS today evening and re confirm with you..
Old 29th October 2015, 14:33   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Wanted a clarification. Is the reverse parking sensor setup that comes in the GT TSi (the one that gives beeps if there is an object), different from OPS setup?
The rear bumper sensors on my car were untouched when I added the front sensors. I have OPS display on the Blaupunkt 835 (photos in my ownership thread, so not repeating here).

Suffice to say they are indeed capable of it.
This however required additional adapter cabling which is not too expensive (around 4k). These cables are present in the Vento, but were left out for the Polos in India.

Mine was not a DYI. I had it fitted at VagTunes. Front sensors and cabling cost around 14k.

Last edited by psispace : 29th October 2015 at 14:35.
psispace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 16:23   #149
BHPian

Frank, will this Head unit be compatible with Skoda Rapid diesel??
Old 29th October 2015, 20:32   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post
The rear bumper sensors on my car were untouched when I added the front sensors. I have OPS display on the Blaupunkt 835 (photos in my ownership thread, so not repeating here).

Suffice to say they are indeed capable of it.
This however required additional adapter cabling which is not too expensive (around 4k). These cables are present in the Vento, but were left out for the Polos in India.

Mine was not a DYI. I had it fitted at VagTunes. Front sensors and cabling cost around 14k.
What is this cable you speak of? My head unit has a Canbus box. What's the name. Please find out if you can.
And I'm very keen on front sensors. Let's see if I can do a retrofit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr_007 View Post
Frank, will this Head unit be compatible with Skoda Rapid diesel??
Yes. Absolutely. There's one which comes for Skoda models with green back lighting. Internals are the same. Just the outside of the unit matches your stock unit and interiors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks