Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2015, 22:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Mrs. frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!

Here are some pics!

Automech has a superb pipe bending machine. The bends in the new pipes are actually 99% replication of the original exhaust bends. Amazing!

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20150921_094151.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20150921_094203.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20150921_095834.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20150921_095911.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20150921_101450.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20150921_111143.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20150921_111207.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20150921_111314.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20150921_111322.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20150921_112526.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20150921_112545.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20150921_154453.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20150921_154505.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20150921_154525.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20150921_154531.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20150921_154538.jpg
frankmehta is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:52   #32
BHPian

Hey Frank,

Nice looking car you got there. Spotted it multiple times in the past month. Those alloys look lovely.

You mentioned that you wanted a silent exhaust. Were you able to achieve that with the Auto Mech custom exhaust?
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 12:07   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Woah ! More mods ? This is turning into Mrs. FrankMehta's ROCKET STEED

Post a video soon
karan561 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 12:33   #34
Senior - BHPian

Please post a video of the FFE soon? Also, approximately how much did the mod cost you? I'm guessing you stay very close to my house (since I've spotted your Polo parked on the street at night too often), would love to check out your car in person sometime. I've been toying with the idea to add some basic intake + exhaust mods to my Grand i10 but I'm in two minds since the Abarth Punto launch is just around the corner .
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 20:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

Great. Would also like to know the costs involved.. kindly share with us.
undead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 08:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Hey Frank,

Nice looking car you got there. Spotted it multiple times in the past month. Those alloys look lovely.

You mentioned that you wanted a silent exhaust. Were you able to achieve that with the Auto Mech custom exhaust?
Hi. Thanks for the compliments. Please shout out to me the next time you see the car.

No, sadly, the exhaust is not as silent as I would have liked. I doubt a performance exhaust can be softer than this, though. My exhaust comes with an expansion chamber, so it is bound to be louder. If you opt for deletion of the chamber, you may get a softer sound. At the cost of performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Woah ! More mods ? This is turning into Mrs. FrankMehta's ROCKET STEED

Post a video soon
I just realised how awesome the iPhone 6 microphones were. AFTER selling the phone. It was perfect for recording high db videos. Now, my two Android phones are pathetic when it comes to recording loud sounds. I'll take a video and see if it genuinely records the sound from the exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Please post a video of the FFE soon? Also, approximately how much did the mod cost you? I'm guessing you stay very close to my house (since I've spotted your Polo parked on the street at night too often), would love to check out your car in person sometime. I've been toying with the idea to add some basic intake + exhaust mods to my Grand i10 but I'm in two minds since the Abarth Punto launch is just around the corner .
Please don't do it with a Grand i10. I don't think you will enjoy the timbre from that engine. Punto Abarth??? Yeah, now we are talking!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Great. Would also like to know the costs involved.. kindly share with us.
The cost for this exhaust was Rs. 10500. A very good deal, IMHO.

Guys, I want to post a small review. I got the car done on Monday. Drove her for around 150 km since then, and at the risk of being ridiculed, I HAVE to say, this thing has done the job. EXACTLY what I wanted. Earlier, the car seemed to be sluggish at part throttle, and in traffic, every time I let off the clutch and gave a little juice, I always felt like the car was going to stall. Double clutching was the only option in traffic, and that made me HATE the car in traffic. I totally abhorred the fact that a 90 bhp car didn't have the juice to start comfortable from a standstill. Slightly disappointing, and my point of making a modification to the drivetrain or the exhaust was ONLY to get a good low end response. The car was good after 3500 rpm, though.
The new exhaust, though, is a revelation. It's almost like the throttle pedal has been recalibrated (which we know, it hasn't) . The damn thing responds to a feather push on the pedal! The deletion of the catcons means that the restriction that caused the earlier bottleneck and uncomfortable response is gone. AND HOW! It is such an amazing feeling. You can actually let your foot off the pedal and the car will roll with zero difficulty (as opposed to a considerable throttle response required, earlier)
First and second gears feel considerably lighter and the car just responds to the slightest of inputs. The engine feels a lot free-er and it feels like the car has lost a few kilos. This is just what I ordered for, and Automech has delivered. Whether it's by co-incidence, or the experience of the company talking, I won't be able to tell. Because such a desirable change, just by modifying a few pipes (literally) was not expected!

That was about the low-end response. The mid-range feels a lot cleaner, but I do see a slight flat spot at 80 in 3rd gear. She requires a couple of extra seconds to get to 100 from 80 in third (may be just a perception, though,)
Well, there had to be a compromise somewhere! But I am not complaining!!!! I don't really accelerate that hard when the car is at 80-90.
High revs make for a very entertaining drive, but at the cost of a lot of fuel. I enjoy it once in a while, though. There is a notable bump up in the performance at all rev-points and I am thoroughly happy with this addition to the car.

The sound: Initially, I did go with a perception that I will get a silent muffler, but turns out that the exhaust is not at all silent. I would have LOVED this in my 20's but there comes a time when a loud exhaust is not exactly on the list of top priorities when you're growing older. I am not exactly complaining, though. The exhaust note is not cacophonic or crass or boy-ricer type loud! In fact, the note is very bassy and meaty at low revs, and progresses to a rasp at higher revs, terminating in a loud, metallic bark near the redline. It's a very sweet-sounding exhaust note and I don't mind it one bit!

The most fun part is cold-starting her up in the morning in my closed garage. Sounds like a sports car! The initial high rpms of the engine at cold starts provides for a very exciting start to an otherwise mundane morning.

I am trying to figure a way to make a video with the exact replication of the exhaust note, but my mobile phones just don't permit it. The sound quality of all videos is abysmal. I might just borrow a Go-Pro from a friend and take a video.
frankmehta is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 10:06   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
The deletion of the catcons means that the restriction that caused the earlier bottleneck and uncomfortable response is gone.
Won't this and the other mods on the exhaust cause the car to fail the emission test.
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 10:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Our emission tests are pretty relaxed. If an Amby or a Padmini can pass, so can a modern day, clean-running Honda Brio. Will never be a problem.. The last update on the restrictions was many years ago, and cars didn't exactly run so clean, earlier.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 13:59   #39
Senior - BHPian

Congos for the exhaust.The brio has a good engine.With the exhaust I am sure it will be one hell of a car.
Any idea if they make ffe for diesel cars?
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 14:39   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Good stuff but is it still compliant with current pollution norms?
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 00:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

Finally the recording you all were waiting for! Remember to put on your computer speakers or attach headphones to feel the literal bass in the track!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...JrVk9LbnJDNktR
frankmehta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 00:18   #42
BHPian

^^

Oh Mama!!! That is some tight exhaust note! Fun little Go kart, eh?
Manoj2268 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 02:05   #43
Senior - BHPian

Got to try the head up display. Even though the current unit received has a faulty (read: loose) OBD cable, the results and the usability of such a device are promising. Also, the image looks slightly ghosted (double-view) as I hadn't placed the device correctly, nor applied the non-reflective film that comes with the device.

An in-depth review of the said device when I receive a proper, working unit and not one that has a loose cable.

Couple of videos for you guys,

frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 06:47   #44
Senior - BHPian

Keep an eye on your Fuel Efficiency.
80 to 100 takes more time ? Disturbed the back pressure ? Not sure whether its right to remove the catalytic conveter. Removing the resonator is Okay . Many tuners say that the catalytic converter nowadays are very well designed to provide the proper back pressure.
undead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 10:32   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Keep an eye on your Fuel Efficiency.
80 to 100 takes more time ? Disturbed the back pressure ? Not sure whether its right to remove the catalytic conveter. Removing the resonator is Okay . Many tuners say that the catalytic converter nowadays are very well designed to provide the proper back pressure.
De-Cat gave gains on the 1.2TSI. Smaller engines need all the free flow they can get.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks